What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    As mom complains about food at the retirement home, we took her out to dinner at a restaurant recommended by her carer. This was the first time I had NE China (Dongbei) style BBQ. Very similar to Korean BBQ where the restaurant served sides I consider Korean staples such as barley tea and kimchee. We BBQ'd beef short rib, duck breast, courgette, nien gao (=rice cake) and wrapped stuff in Peking duck pancakes and lettuce leaves. There were spicy cabbage and radish pickles as sides, a sweetish hot sauce, a sesame sauce, a condiment of slivers of raw jalapeno and pickled garlic, and another condiment that was mostly ground cumin.
    kge968y00rnn.jpeg
    4p1d71yqwv6f.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    🍽️ Thin sliced chicken breast with sumac and Za’atar.
    🧅 🥬 Side of purple onion and a few rainbow chard stalks.

ijvra07k24cd.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    A quick lunch: romaine lettuce with smoked kipper fillet (herring), mayo, and a bit of green onion. Plus a sprinkle of flax seed oil, and some flax seeds for crunch and omega-3 fatty acids.
    aeh9gacdwf6c.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited September 2023
    Options
    83annvmvvm2k.png

Play on Ramen: Chicken Bone Broth, Shredded Chicken, Mushrooms, Green Onion, Protein Noodles and an Egg
    A quick lunch: romaine lettuce with smoked kipper fillet (herring), mayo, and a bit of green onion. Plus a sprinkle of flax seed oil, and some flax seeds for crunch and omega-3 fatty acids.
    aeh9gacdwf6c.jpg

@RunningGirlKC tell me more about protein noodles!

@takinitalloff - I love when I see herring in this thread! Omega 3s for the win! I’m always trying to get more.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Retirement home food dinner with my mom. Carrot and ginger soup, factory made beef tortelleni with tomato sauce and some unseasoned roast veg, fruit salad.
    cm8f46bkt3tc.jpeg
    xj9f87such56.jpeg
    9a25yv0jb2c2.jpeg
  • RunningGirlKC
    RunningGirlKC Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    83annvmvvm2k.png

Play on Ramen: Chicken Bone Broth, Shredded Chicken, Mushrooms, Green Onion, Protein Noodles and an Egg
    aeh9gacdwf6c.jpg

@RunningGirlKC tell me more about protein noodles!

@takinitalloff - I love when I see herring in this thread! Omega 3s for the win! I’m always trying to get more.

@SafariGalNYC - Barilla makes the best Protein pasta; has the best macros that I can find in my local grocery store... plus they make spaghetti, elbow, penne... happy girl

• takinitalloff
    edited September 2023
    Options
    This week's bean (well ok, pea) soup: Golden chicken and vegetable soup with chickpeas -- I reduced the carrots and onion, and slightly increased the amount of green beans. I made a huge pot of this, so I have soup for the week and lots left over for the freezer. Nice comfort food for this early fall weather.
    srgvc1n93azn.jpg
    lkukhib0zf5d.jpg

@SafariGalNYC I'm also chasing after the omega-3's, haha. I've changed my eating habits quite a bit over the summer, and salads with fish are a new thing for me. I'm really liking the smokey flavor with the bright greens. Your dinner outside in the rain looks great, I love rain! Did you cook that meal yourself?

@acpgee I've been enjoying your nursing home dinner saga. Yesterday's dinner looked decent, I hope it tasted alright. I do feel for your mom. Also I look forward to making Pad Kra Pao, yum. Yours looks delicious.

@RunningGirlKC I keep greedily eyeing your ramen-ish soup 🤤 Will definitely use this for inspiration!

@ddsb1111 I love that you are opening the boys' eyes & minds to the wonders of good and nutritious foods. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that you are changing lives. I know these kiddos will think back to your joint cooking adventures for as long as they live! Also the bread looks fantastic... hard to believe this was your first attempt. And the pasta on those black plates looks like something you'd get in a fancy restaurant.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    @takinitalloff That definitely looks comforting! I’m a soup fan, could eat it whether it’s hot or cold outside.

We’re heading to Croatia soon so we’re pretty much emptying the fridge before we go, so no exciting meals to post. I am making more bread though, and have my first sourdough starter, so that’s exciting. I’m hoping to bring some Croatian dish ideas back with me to try with the boys. Think they’ll try Octopus? 😆
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @takinitalloff - thanks! That dinner was on Madison Ave in nyc :) good thing about the rain.. we only had 2 other patrons in the restaurant sidewalk area .
  • acpgee
    Options
    Retirement home food with my mom. She complained bitterly about the under seasoning of the ribs. Some residents complained about sending back undercooked meat. Others demanded getting a saw for dealing with overcooked meat. Maybe I am just not picky because I thought they were fine with the use of the salt shaker. I am going to ask for oil and vinegar for salads with no dressing next time.
    t7zusrzm4tbv.jpeg
  • RunningGirlKC
    Options
    zzf9jkytqcdz.jpeg

Chicken Enchiladas - Realgood Brand at Costco or Target.

Great Macros!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Mediocre suburban Ottawa Chinese restaurant to give my mom a break from retirement home food. She doesn't like going to restaurants on her own but I should set things up so she can order food delivery. Though Chinese food for one is not so exciting.
    bqzrt4msipgl.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @RunningGirlKC OMG your Bibimbap looks like the most delicious thing ever to me right now. Must. eat. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • RunningGirlKC
    Options
    @RunningGirlKC OMG your Bibimbap looks like the most delicious thing ever to me right now. Must. eat. Thanks for the inspiration!

I’ll start sharing recipes with pictures (or links)! The mobile version for community is not ideal 😂