WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate caring people.
    Meditation: daily. 1/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/3 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)73/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good.
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today.
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.]/spoiler]
    RVRita , Roswell, NM
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Flea – Levi and I are adjusting to our new “normal” I love this dog so much, but his needs take more and more time. I don’t resent it at all and hope I am paying it forward for good care for myself in my older years. But the holidays are coming and that means being away for a long day at Thanksgiving and Christmas – at minimum and preferably being gone one or two nights at Christmas and this year that will be hard, he really needs to be in a place he has memorized so he can get around. Being his seeing eye human is a full-time job. I have gained a new appreciation of seeing eye dogs. I did have a friend suggest I put him down, ( I was so hurt) and that time will come, but just because his sight is going is not a reason to do that. I will do it when his quality of life is not good.
    I found a larger ball that has a light in it that flashes as it bounces and we have been playing ball in the dark, he still sees high contrast and movement. So we play ball for a bit outside before bed time.

Love ya all,
    Kim in N. California

How insensitive of your friend to say that to you.😥. Hugs! Yep you just keep an eye on sweet Levi and appreciate what he can do now.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    s7yv9dxiobic.png

My husband has FOMO, I have JOMO!
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    I have been pondering goals this month. For me, the absence of goals is liberating. For me, I can ruin a day so easily by merely pondering straying off my path. Even if I haven't actually eaten or done anything wrong. Pretty sad. So I have been stressing some, of course things out of my control. So I started back on taking my anti depression meds. Just making it more of a continuous thing, and give me more of a steady feeling. I tend to want to solve the worlds problems to the point that I am not sleeping. Maybe I need to get back on doxiprin, my sleep aid. I was supposed to have a doctors appt reviewing my meds this week but she cancelled. I need to make a new one hopefully this next week. Just to chat over things.
    Today is misty, and gray on the island. Was going to go with husband off island to our car dealers to get a part that was recalled corrected, but I decided to stay home. We were going to walk around Anacortes which is a town on Fidalgo island, but its not really a great day for that.
    We bought a nice heating blanket for the bed, and between the gel/foam coil new mattress and that, we are sleeping better (when I do go to sleep). We each have our own controller so that's nice. He tells me if he wants me to wake up, he can just crank it up to level 12! Aaaack, I would be so annoyed, but he would never actually do that... Just one of the things he says to be funny.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    Well Hellllooo( in my Mrs Doubtfire voice ) lol
    Rori.... what a fun time.. I love the Eagles,Steely Dan and Pink how wonderful..
    Alfie and I went over and got Homer outside and I came home and made an order for Walmart.. mostly for mr Alfie.. dog food.. treats and such ..heaven forbid we run out of treats lol
    Im not laying in bed as much im sitting in my little den..I can see outside and its a comfy recliner if I want to recline.
    My poor brother has the flu.. so Im staying away from there house.
    Carmine started back to Portland High today.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did a spinning workout today. After exercise walked around the neighborhood then went to Aldi. Home and made chocolate bran muffins and then tried my hand at an apple crisp. Honeycrisp apples were on sale. We shall see how it turns out.

This will be the first week of Newcomer bowling. Ceramics last night. Took a walk to the vet’s to get a prescription for Loki then stopped at the dollar store and got a calendar for Jess for Christmas. Still need to look for another one for her. I’d like to get one with wolves on it, she likes wolves (don’t ask me to explain that)

Pip – you wore your monkey feet out? I, sadly, believe it. Glad you got new ones

Joy – you and your husband built your house and “it had its challenging moments”? Do you know that the people who built our house got a divorce after 6 months?

Heather – so sorry that Johnny’s friend passed. It’s sad when the Christmas list gets shorter and shorter

Makeup: I wear just a little mascara if I’m going out in public. By that I mean going to work, etc. Otherwise, I usually don’t wear any. I’ll put a bit on tonight since we have bowling.

Debbie – I was 9 when my mother passed

Ginny – what adorable cats you have. They sure have their own personalities, don’t they?

Barbara – I, too, can’t imagine 45 years together. I also can’t imagine life without Vince.

Lehr – welcome!

Not real sunny today but I’m not sure I’ll have enough time to wash and wax my car before bowling so I’ll save that for another day. Vince has a train show to work at this weekend so maybe I’ll be able to do it then.

Bought more blocks for around the pool yesterday. Yesterday we were working on it. I’ve finished pulling the weeds, hauling the big stones, pushing back the rocks (just need to finish that part). Yesterday, Vince kept pointing out places where he kept saying “you need to fill it in with small stones”. Really, it looked pretty d*** good to me. I tell you, I really bit my tongue. How I wanted to say “why don’t you just go back to laying the stones”. Really, I’m thinking that his OCD is getting worse, if that’s possible. It sort-of bothers me that he doesn’t want to work on it today. I understand, he’s afraid with his back and bending over hurts him. But there's so much else that I think we need to get done before the cold weather sets in. See, I’d much rather work in the heat, Vince wants it cool. He doesn’t mind working in the cold – I do. But I know that I’ll just live with it, if it was me I’d probably do that exact same thing.

Needed to set up the appt for my Prolia shot. For the first time ever they told me that I had to have a BDT first. Never had that happen before. But they told me I was due for one so I’ll just go. Also made an appt for my mammo, only it’s in November.

Carol – so many times I’ve thought of Lenora! How’s she doing? Poor dear had so many health issues

Tried the apple crumble. Wasn’t bad, if I do say so myself. Now we shall see what happens over time. I do think that there should have been more sugar than the recipe called for

Rori – great to see you, as always. I wouldn’t say that you aren’t crafty – not at all. That StretchLab class sounds awesome. Wish we had something like that around here.

Kim – how could anyone even SUGGEST putting an animal down? The only time I can possibly see it is if the animal’s quality of life is poor.

Tina – awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing

Nothing special for tomorrow but soup kitchen on Friday

Michele NC
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I love the idea of the Dollar Tree/Blessing Boxes - There's a blessing box right around the corner from us where I've left things as assorted as paperbacks, canned goods, or various other small items. They always disappear.

Tina - Those photos are postcard-worthy and then some - I stole the picture of Bow Lake for the next time I can't resist doing a mountain painting - very well framed and absolutely beautiful.

Allie - So glad to see you taking care of yourself, staying away from family with the 'flu, etc. However comfy your recliner, though, don't forget to keep moving! Take Alfie out for that ten-minute walk, or just walk around your house... I'm letting my Fitbit push me into taking a few hundred steps each hour, so even though it can feel annoying, I know it's becoming a healthy habit. Start moving, woman, we want to see pictures of you at Miles' wedding someday! That beautiful boy deserves to have his grandma there... :smiley: Love you, girl.

Rebecca - I'm sure you know I go through periods where I cannot bear the added stress of goals. You do what works for you, and you've always been quite good at that...

Budget stuff:
    I picked up about three 2.3 packages pounds of ground beef yesterday while the price for 80/20 is still $4.19 at Aldi's. That's already up 20 cents from September. I'll pack that up into nine meal-sized packages for us and get it in the freezer. A three-quarter pound package is enough for dinner for both of us and leftovers for one meal for one of us, usually Corey's or my lunch the following day. . That gets the freezer stocked up completely. I found chicken quarters at Walmart this weekend for 77 cents a pound, so I picked up a ten-pound bag of those, as well, which we separated and froze this weekend. The most expensive piece of any meal for us is meat.

With a well-stocked pantry and freezer, we're set for the late fall and winter - it's the slow time at work for Corey, so his hours drop back to 40 straight. Through the spring, summer and most of fall, he gets 10 hours of overtime each week, so his paychecks drop pretty dramatically in the winter. When you know it's coming, though, you can plan, and we've got enough in hand to keep us in pretty good shape through into the spring. Mostly, groceries for the next four to five will just be fresh fruits and veggies, eggs and cheese - we've actually both stopped eating bread, to the largest extent.

Off to the races, kids, chores to do.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    Actually, I wear them all out. Working on breaking the new ones in for the marathon coming up
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 16min 22sec, 26elev, 3.15ap, 84ahr, 94mhr, 4.04mi= 371c
    Strava app = 495c
    Walk home to gym- 10.35min, .52mi= 55c
    Strava app = 64c
    Treadmill jog- 30.25min, 5.8sp on mile1, 6.1sp on mile2, 6.4sp on mile3, 8.0sp on last .10mi, 135ahr, 166mhr, 9.74min mi, 5k= 320c
    Walk gym to store then home- 19.49min, .90mi= 96c
    Strava app= 111c
    Other- 50min , scrubbing and ringing off garage floor, 98ahr, 112mhr= 230c

Total cal 1072

Got back down under a 10min mi.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    Awww Beth so sad. God Bless them what a long life they had together..
    Today would have been my dad's 95th Birthday..
    Im so lucky I had him for 89 yrs
    I did go and see little munchkin boy today.. he gets more adorable every day.
    Just waiting on the groceries to be delivered
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Tina - What amazing photos. A wonderful place. It's just moved onto my bucket list. :)

Very tired. I hope I get a bit more sleep tonight.
    Jabs tomorrow.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,226 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Lanette-there are what you call Blessing Boxes all around our town. There is one a few blocks from me that I have dropped off stuff at and there is one on the opposite corner from MIL's house.

After very little sleep night before last, I was very tired UNTIL time to go to sleep last night- finally got to sleep about 12:30, woke up a few times off and on. Got a total of 7 hrs of interrupted sleep.

Very warm today- in the 90's. Glad I didn't have a walk planned- have class tonight.

Went up to Vacaville to pick up a few things for MIL. Two weeks ago when we were going up there for her, she said she didn't need any dashi. This week she was mad that we hadn't picked any up for her so of couse, she mentioned it yesterday about being out so we had to go up today and get if for her.
    I did pick up a few things for me to try cooking(she cooked it last week and it was really good)- it was lotus root, gobo root, kamaboko and pork in a soy mirin broth. I want to make it without the pork and add daikon and ginko nuts(picked up a pack of them to try- they were cheap and I have seen them often). May add edemame to it too(have them in the freezer.

Debbie
    Napa Valley
    Ca