WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie...

I posted this morning before remembering Oct. 1

Barbara the church The Grove of Woodbury does put our service on Facebook. If you look it up the also stream it live too!

Vicki I love the passage you shared so true for so many things. We never know the struggles someone has in their life. A reminder to met those with kindness and compassion!

(((Rita))) Surrounding you in loving thoughts I am so proud of you for all you are doing to keep yourself as strong as you can. There is nothing wrong in telling your son that you hear he is starting to show signs of his illness. (When someone is starting down that road they lose their perspective.) Remind him you are one who knows him and you want what is best for him. It is those that know him or her to alert them to go see a health professional they trust. He may or may not heed what you say. It might help to remind him what happens to him without help. Remind yourself that you are dealing with an irrational person. Do kind things for yourself and set those strong boundaries to help yourself like you have been doing!

Happy with singing today. Have such a great accompaniest with LouAnn! Fun songs to sing. Compliments on how it looked like I was enjoying what I was singing!

can you post the link for your church- I would like to watch it- I tried looking for it but haven't found it yet

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    As far as the need to be wanted and needed goes, I think our pets make a massive difference in our lives. I know that Egg is a large portion of my life, and enormous company when Corey's not around. I can see how that attachment would be even deeper if he weren't here. Totally disagree that it's purely "cupboard love," and just about the snacks, too. Egg's very definite about being petted vs. being snacked, and both are part of the overall picture. Much like with humans.

Lisa - as I was writing about pets/chicks and snacks, I actually thought of you and Egg. And how your connection is a whole lot more than "feed me." :) My shop kitty is like that - was DH's companion, giver and receiver of love and he didn't feed her. I wonder if that's a cat thing. If they adopt you, you're all set. :)

Our dog prior to Rosie was like Egg. Sophie wasn't motivated by treats, just loved to be with us and cuddle and play with us and make us happy. She made us feel wanted and needed. Might have been the poodle part of her = intelligence.

As I said, in my case, my current pets are motivated by snacks. :p (I was being facetious by the way.) Everyone's pet is different but it's interesting how they can help fill that role when humans aren't available physically or emotionally.

I thought about the "being wanted and needed" and my life right now v. what if I was living alone in a senior apartment with no pets, no lawn or garden that needed tending. Maybe some cranky old shrew in the apartment next door. :# Made me very grateful that I have these opportunities to be active outside and be around my animals, some older folks aren't that lucky.

Thanks for the explanation about Tyler. Actually, I'd love being the only kid too. Glad to hear the Ex and Kels are getting along better, so good for the whole family. Like you said, see where it goes.

Heather - your new dress is beautiful, as is the bride.

Terri - that walled garden is beautiful. What a great way to spend some time.

Sue - sorry to hear about your brother, glad they figured out the problem. Is he in SD? Hope you are feeling much better.

I got a lot done today. Cleaned out and organized my sock/undies drawer. Mending I'd been putting off for months, just little things like replacing lost buttons. Laundry done and hung out in the sun. Planted peas - by golly some of the old seeds were sprouting after being in the cupboard on damp paper towels overnight.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,353 Member
    Options
    Worked and just been busy. Doing what I’m not sure. Just busy. Got my hair cut Thurs. Lisa – I’m so frugal I go to the local college’s cosmetology school. I forgot that Sept. isn’t the time to go. The gal who cut my hair took 2 hours!!!! All it was was a straight cut – 2” off, trim the bangs. The teacher always looks at the work and each time she looked at this gal’s she had to fix something. Volunteered at the soup kitchen Fri. Did more work around the pool and bought more blocks. I have to put them down on the cart, put them into the car and then take them out and put them away be it under the deck (where we did put them) or around the upper part of the pool. Church Sat. It was Pete’s birthday Sat. Almost forgot to call! Did the Kettlewerx Resistance DVD today. Going to go out to put down weed and feed and grass seed.

Made beef and barley in the crock pot yesterday for Vince, meatloaves today and have yogurt in the IP

Heather – happy birthday

Been working around the fence for the pool. First I pulled all the weeds, put down the weed killer, now I’m pushing rocks away from the fence so that Vince can put down the block. Been hauling the large rocks that were outside the fence and putting them down elsewhere. When we buy the new blocks I put them onto the cart at the store and then into the car (Vince puts them in the right place)

Bowling tomorrow and then ceramics

I LOVE my air fryer lid for my IP. The lid doesn’t take up a whole lot of room. The disadvantage is that you can’t make a whole lot in the IP but I’ve found that I can make enough for two people. It takes a long time to dehydrate fruit. That’s the main reason I got it but now I use it for a lot of other things and not dehydrating fruit.

Barbara – I’ve heard that the convection setting on my oven works like an air fryer so I figured I’d give it a try. It really is like an air fryer. One thing they do tell you not to make in the convection is biscuits. But that I can live with. HE detergent doesn’t make as many suds and you don’t need as much detergent to get the clothes clean.

Guess what? My car is one of the ones that has the recall. So now for the next few weeks (until they get the part to repair it), I get to park my car away from the house outside. Funsville.

Allie – thanks for the day brighteners. Margaret got me thinking. Is it possible that Carmine can have a pet?

Lisa – I feel the same way knowing that a car repair guy would never try to sell Vince what they try to sell me. It’s just so annoying. Glad to hear the pottery is going well. Great for Kelsey!

Welcome everyone new!

The soup kitchen got A BIG donation of baked goods so I took a key lime pie home for Vince and some cookies. Guess who had most of the cookies? I’ve now learned NOT to bring home things from there unless I will eat it (like cheese or fruit)

Rita – so pleased to hear your son was rehired

Yogurt finished and I now have it draining. Question: I like mine very thick. How long does everyone leave theirs draining?

I usually don’t wear polish on my nail mainly because it’s cheaper (Lisa, told you I was frugal). Now I don’t also because of the job.

Terri – in some ways there are things that I miss about the lockdown. I miss not having the “I gotta be somewhere” feeling. Yet, I want to be able to if I want to. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too!

The other day I realized that my mother has been gone almost 60 years !

Got my new mahjongg card. I am still mad at myself for throwing out the old one

Joy – so glad to see you popping in!

M – you make me so jealous that you are sitting in the sunshine!

Meg – big congrats on quitting smoking. And welcome!

Heather – you look so lovely at the wedding. What a gorgeous gown she had! Happy Birthday!

Pip – glad to hear that you’re feeling better. Please take care. Glad to see that you are taking it slowly (for you, that is)

Going to watch a bit of TV. Hope I don’t fall asleep!

Michele NC
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,495 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Heather! 🎂
    Barbara the AHMOD just popping in from her phone. Will catch up later, lovelies!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,400 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Lanette - Unfortunately, Tyler's dad is the first ex, and not the second one (Haley and Levi's dad), whose last move was a legal request to quit paying child support. Unfortunately for him, he filed it in Kansas, and she and the kids have been in Hawaii now for six months, so all support, custody, etc., is now moving to the Hawaiian courts. If he's not careful, they may actually raise his child support, rather than dropping the amount. However, I'm trying to use Barbie's quote, "Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut." I never know when one of the kids can hear me when Kels is on the phone, and they don't need to hear Gramily lose her cool.
    Happy Fall, Y'all. I'm Mackenzie (Mac), 54, trying to get fit & reverse diabetes and get off meds. Hope you don't mind if I join you.

Welcome, Mackenzie, it's a good place to get all the support you need... drop into any conversation that's of interest, we're glad you're here!
    megd44 wrote: »
    New to this thread/group. Almost 55 and back to MFP to lose the pounds I put on when I quit smoking in January. 5 more to go then into maintenance. Sometimes get super frustrated with how slow it is coming off, but know that is for the best.
    meg in northwestern Michigan (lower peninsula)

Meg in Michigan, well done on quitting! Many of us on here have quit, it's well worth a couple extra pounds. They'll come off, you're doing well!

Heather - Love the new dress, and the bride looked lovely!

Kim - You look absolutely spiffy! It's a wonderful colorful for you, and you did a great job on the jacket and the dress.

Cheers to all...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,716 Member
    Options
    Michelle- she has 2 cats and a dog at her parents house.her Cat Angel misses her.. Tracy is going to see if she can go up there.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,716 Member
    Options
    Here it is almost 1am and still wide awake.. no nap.. and awake at 7 am.. go figure.. i want to be over to check on Homer by 9 am wish me luck lol
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,911 Member
    Options
    Regarding keeping in touch with distant relatives ...

I'm one who doesn't put much effort into it.

I post on FB, and my family can see what's going on that way, sort of. And I'll glance over their posts.

But other than that, I might contact a few by email at Christmas. Maybe.

And I am thankful they aren't emailing me all the time!

I like that we kind of keep our distance.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Barbie thank you for the new thread!

Heather Happy birthday!

My mom is still in rehab. She isn't eating much, so she gets dizzy on standing. That has to change before she can come home. So now I need to bring her tasty food. I brought her watermelon and potato chips and a chocolate cake yesterday, but she didn't touch the cake. We have been visiting every day.

My sister is coming on Friday to help take my Dad to a funeral.

Last Friday my dad and I took Chinese takeout over to my aunt's. That was fun. My mom won't eat takeout, so it had been many years since I had eaten Chinese.

So my diet/exercise plan has fallen apart. I'm spending my spare time reading. And my clothes are getting tighter again. My dad wants me to sit down and eat with him after my eating window is over. He is driving me crazy. He lost one hearing aid at the YMCA on Friday.

Annie in Delaware

Your mother is somewhere where she can get help. :heart:

Your father sounds lonely. He's probably missing your mother.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    💕❤️🛸👽
    2023 Optimistic October

zdambv1l6md6.jpeg

1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month.

Daylight Savings Time!! - which occurred early in the morning of October 1.
    Spring's developments
    Thanksgiving

3. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time)
    4. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you.
    5. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list.
    6. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good.
    7. Remind yourself that things can change for the better.
    8. Look for the good in people around you today.
    9. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    10. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    11. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    12. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    13. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    14. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    15. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    16. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    17. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    18. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    19. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    20. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    21. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    22. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    23. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    24. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    25. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    26. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    27. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    28. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    29. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    30. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    31. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    32. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

Machka in Oz