Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Here is the October Happiness list. Feel free to copy/use/read any of this post you would like! You ladies ROCK!! Ps.. my yearly goal list is in here too with the results for September. I hit 99% of my goals last month!! YAY me. I think I will do what Machka suggested in her last September post to me. I may add it as a short-term goal!

💕❤️🛸👽
    2023 Optimistic October

zdambv1l6md6.jpeg

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate the much needed rain we had last night.

Meditation: daily. 28/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 23/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 2/20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,6805,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 0/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 213/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. /23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time)
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good.
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today.
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Lisa, I, too, don't care to leave my house (except to walk in my neighborhood) so you dread resonated with me. Every five weeks I drive my friend to the retina center for macular degeneration treatments. It's an easy drive and I sit in the car and read or nap while she has her treatment. Yesterday at the end of her treatment she told me the date of her next treatment and wondered if I could take her later in the afternoon than usual. I told her that leaving the house was the hardest part for me, it didn't matter whether it was at noon or 4PM. She thought I was very flexible and was grateful for my help.

<3 Barbie

My mother struggles with agoraphobia too.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/agoraphobia
    Agoraphobia develops over time
    Agoraphobia usually begins with a stressful event – for example, a person loses a job or a relationship ends. They feel distressed and limit their contact with the outside world (this is called ‘avoidance behaviour’). As time passes, they may consider more and more public places as ‘out of bounds’ until they are eventually confined to their home.
    In other cases, a stressful life event triggers a panic attack. Since panic attacks are so unpleasant, the person may avoid any situation or place that they think might trigger another attack until many situations and places are eventually feared and avoided.

For a little while after my husband's accident, there were places I couldn't go without having a panic attack, like the grocery store, which was a bit problematic because I hadn't started ordering groceries online then.

M in Oz

I think my mother has agoraphobia. And I suspect my DH has a bit of this as he never wants to go anywhere but shopping or the park work-shop. Me, I’d love to go everywhere if I had unlimited finances that is. But visiting neighbors doesn’t cost anything. He doesn’t do that. He prefers people come to our campsite.

Thank you also for the wise words. You all don’t know how much you mean to me in my life! I talked to my son yesterday and fear he is not taking his medications. I can tell by how he talks and his mood flips up and down quickly for no apparent reason. I had him on speakerphone as my DH was driving and he even mentioned it. I am letting go. All this ‘cra?” Is getting to me. I don’t need that. It is why I moved where I am. I need to distance myself from all this bickering. It is affecting my physical health as well as my mental health. My DS did say yesterday, “ Don’t call them, let them call you if they want to talk to you (care)” I’ve heard that from many of you here as well as my YDD. It hit home coming from him. Please keep him and me in your thought and prayers.

RVRita, hoping to change her thinking at 67 and get healthy (especially mentally !)

You're calling your family ... and they're saying negative things to you?

Yes, your son is right. Don't contact them.
    Don't call them.
    Don't email them.
    Don't text them.
    Snooze them for 30 days on FB.

Take a break.

M in Oz

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,400 Member
    Options
    Sue - So sorry about the flare, sounds awful, glad you were able to sleep in. Hope your brother's lack of pacemaker won't be an issue, and that he's doing better, too.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,400 Member
    Options
    Lisa - adorable photos of the grands. A shame he only gets to stay a week. Is that subject to change at some point?

I wanted to mention something I saw on a Blue Zones article. "Being wanted and needed can help you live longer." The article gave grandmothers as an example who live close by and interact with their children and grandchildren.

But then I thought - what about those of us who are now single for whatever reason and don't have any family close by? Loss of a spouse or a friend and even family members who don't stay connected - I now see clearer why that loss can be so heartbreaking whether we realize it or not and detrimental to our health. Because that person no longer wants and/or needs us.

In my case, I can see what a large role Rosie my schnauzer and my chickies play in my life. I can depend on them to want and need me, and be joyous when they see me. It's a simple as that. They don't get cranky or refuse to answer my letters and emails, lol. Of course, it's related to treats but is that different than fixing a meal for a spouse, friend or family?

And in a larger sense, our homes and gardens kind of play the same role. They depend on us to tend them, make them productive and look nice.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where we're having a sunny, breezy, absolutely beautiful 65F afternoon.

Lanette - Actually, it was Tyler's choice to stay in Texas with his bio-dad, and Kelsey's choice to let him go, which was hard for her--I was on the phone with her a lot. Tyler (who is 12 now) moved to Corpus Christi before they left for Hawaii, and may yet change his mind and decide to move back with Kels and the family. There are an awful lot of attractions to living with his birth dad, including being the only child. His bio-dad even ponied up for the plane ticket to get him to Hawaii to visit, and he and Kels are getting along better than they ever did, whether married or divorced! :p No idea how it will all end up.

As far as the need to be wanted and needed goes, I think our pets make a massive difference in our lives. I know that Egg is a large portion of my life, and enormous company when Corey's not around. I can see how that attachment would be even deeper if he weren't here. Totally disagree that it's purely "cupboard love," and just about the snacks, too. Egg's very definite about being petted vs. being snacked, and both are part of the overall picture. Much like with humans. :wink:

I can see the extension, too, to the house and the gardening... When I finally started feeling better, I realized I felt incredibly guilty for neglecting my house the last couple years while I was ill, and I'm not sure whether I felt guilty toward myself or my husband or the house most. Possibly all three.

Lisa in Arkansas
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Barbie, Lisa and Lanette, thank you for your support. One step at a time is good advice! My next trick is trying to squeeze in cooking a pot roast because my mom loves the carrots. She was doing a little better today.

Rita hope you can manage to get a break.

Heather such a wonderful wedding!

Annie in Delaware