WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
    Heather - I’m glad you were able to get it all booked and sorted. It is a bit nerve wracking when you’re doing online stuff.
    What a great painting from Edie. She has talent.

I have always done all of the planning and such in our marriage. When we were first married it was more of a partnership. Over the years of him driving truck I had to take it over and ever since it’s been me. We discuss things but I “push the buttons”, probably in more ways than one. 😂
    I am thinking of getting a flu and Covid jab, but waiting a bit. I’m not really going anywhere or doing anything and want it to be effective when my practicum starts in May. I figure by that time my immune system will need a boost before going to work with children.

Barbara - happy anniversary, we were married in 87 as well.
    We don’t have a choice but to do the home projects, there are a few more things to go before we are done. We just need the money and time to do it.
    Happy to read your nephew came through the surgery successfully and that Joe got his new vehicle.

Betsy - I hope your son keeps it touch.

Lisa - I can’t wait to see the finished projects you are working on.
    I am working on a stocking right now and came up with an idea for Rodger’s Mom for Christmas. I may work on that today.
    Sorry to John and Kelsey.

Rebecca - I’m so glad your youngest is keeping in contact again. What a relief for you.

Rita - Those snobby people are the worst to deal with.
    I hope your bloodwork got figured out and congrats on the 51 days!

Carol - I enjoyed the witticisms.

Machka - That grey hair trend is here too, I’m not ready for it either. I just feel old when mine is past due for a colour.
    I think I would go talk to the neighbours, do you have bylaws regarding dogs barking for extended times?

Kylia - it’s a shame you have to do work at home to stay caught up. I think I would enjoy a hot tub. We would need to upgrade our electrical or use a propane one.

Rori - Your decoration is beautiful. I struggle with those types of designs.
    Have fun with your friend and your job.

Heather - my friend and I were talking last night about this generation of mothers and fathers. They seem to be much more involved with the children and the housework comes second. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. As we all know those years go so much faster than we think when we’re in the thick of it.

Ginny - I hope you have a calmer day today and are able to regroup.

Kim - Levi is such a huge part of your life of course you’re going to help him. I bet you’ll figure out the perfect plan for you come Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Rebecca - I hope the pills help you. I know someone that has been on a low dosage for 40 years. She is high functioning and intelligent. She said over the years she tried to wean off of them and her brain chemistry would go wonky again. She told me when I was worrying about taking them for a long time, “you would take BP meds to keep you healthy, your mental health is as important”. “Don’t feel guilty or rush to get off them”.

Lanette - I haven’t heard of the blessing boxes, but what a wonderful idea. You are wonderful for doing this, some people will be grateful to have this I’m sure.
    You are handling being on your own with grace. I hope if I’m ever in your shoes I do as well.

Tina - - breathtaking photos. I have been to Banff a few times, I prefer Jasper. The next time you come you should do the Icefields Parkway Route. We took our time travelling through there a few years ago and I’ve always wanted to do it again.

Pip - I have been on this thread since April of 2018, is this the second pair of monkey shoes you’ve worn out in that time? I seem to remember you getting this pair, or I’m dreaming.

Michele - I can’t imagine losing my mother at 9 years of age. Hugs to you.

Allie - I agree with Lisa, keep moving. I was in pain for much longer than I had to be due to poor directions to rest my hips. It actually made everything worse. I try to move every 20 minutes at minimum for a period of at least 5 minutes. I don’t always succeed but I notice if I don’t.
    I hope Carmine settles back into her old school easily. At least she is going to school.

Sue - I hope you find some relief soon.

I have been debating getting a small freezer, the thing that is stopping me is where to actually put one. Every room in our place is full. There is nothing I can think to get rid of and if I try to squeeze more in it will be crowded and that will set my mind on fire I’m sure. I’ve been noodling on it for a while now. I’ll reach a decision at some point.

Well I’m caught up from yesterday and so far today. My daughter and her friend came to craft. Her other friend with the 18 month old was sick and couldn’t come. I told her she is welcome anytime.
    Kaitlyn was one of the photographers at my friends wedding she worked on going through the pictures and choosing the best ones, she edited a few but not all of them.
    She made herself a coffee mug and her friend made two.
    They have other projects in mind so we’ll be doing this again soon.

Today I think I am going to work on a Christmas present for Rodger’s Mom. Since Kaitlyn and Brodey are heading to NB they will take the gifts which saves us a lot of money.

My Mom’s nursing home has one case of Covid I’m hoping it stays that way and it doesn’t go on lockdown since Kaitlyn and Brodey would like to see her.

Finished the design part of one stocking.
    gvl6j7anxju4.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton

U might be right. I wore these out kinda quick or maybe not that quick, I dunno. I’d have to think hard on how many I’ve worn out.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,279 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    We did our usual weekly groceries early yesterday morning, then went to have our booster jabs. Both arms are mildly sore this morning, but not expected any other reactions.

Heavy rain has set in this morning, so will be shlepping about indoors today. DH has a meeting after lunch, so will catch up on some TV while he is out.

Tracey: That stocking looks interesting. It’s nice that you have your daughter and her friends crafting with you.

Hi! 🙋‍♀️ to our new girls. Your very welcome.
    🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Hello to all.

We just returned from a week north of the border. We went to see Iron Maiden in Calgary and then spent a few days in Banff National Park. That was amazingly beautiful. The mountains looked as if someone placed a photo behind the lakes. We couldn't believe something so perfect was real. We managed several hikes. The last one was 6.5 miles/10.4 km led to a very calm and peaceful alpine lake with yet another gorgeous, snowy mountain backdrop. Times like that make me very glad I keep my winter wear so that I may enjoy these kinds of life's pleasures. Several pics in the spoiler.
    Mountains popping out of the couldsuyw27acd9jyz.jpg
    Boom Lake
    1c231qhv7wl2.jpg
    Lake Louise
    uyrex39ldhth.jpg
    Boom Lake
    cv2620sm91hz.jpg
    View from the hiking trail
    wtnv05b5wklr.jpg
    Bow Lake
    4ka8htd3bbpf.jpg

Calgary is the quietest big city I've ever been to (except for the terrible post-concert singing from the mister). It was very nice.

We are already tentatively planning another trip up there for next summer. The travel to/from was not simple. If we can find an easier way, we'll do that.

I think I gained a couple of pounds, even with the hiking. I blame the poutine.

Machka-Perhaps the dog wants attention. If you block the view with something solid, it may stop. Our neighbor's dog barks all day long if it's left alone. It will stop when someone comes home. It's very annoying for someone who works from home.

Heather-I love hearing about the grands. They have such wonderful personalities.

The last time I was away for a week, it took me more than a month to catch up with you all. So, I'm not trying this time.

Tonight, we see Sting in concert.

My next trip is in 10 days. I am not looking forward to that, except for sleeping in a room at a reasonable temperature.

Now, we are both focusing on better eating and getting back into an exercise routine.

Tina in CA

I grew up near those mountains, and often stayed in the mountains to hike and cycle. . :)

One of my cousins was the mayor of Banff for a while, and I have a long family history there.

It's the type of place where you can point your camera in any direction and get a great photo. :)

Machka in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    :)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: Tums. Protein. T’s not feeling well so birthday lunch postponed. Hope her gifts arrive before she’s feeling better ;}
    Struggling to get back on track. Using every diversion to postpone PT, avoid walking dogs. :P
    Lisa “not to say stuff like that where the car can hear you!” Uncanny, isn’t it?
    Kim ((hugs)) just ((hugs))
    Lanette :love: your Dollar Tree meal/Secret Santa/blessing bags.
    Beth ((hugs))
    Tina thanks for the pics. Visiting visit Banff, riding the train through the Canadian Rockies=bucket list items.
    Michele what does Vince do when he works a train show? Hope your tongue heals quickly ;)
    Sue ((hugs)) hope the right study comes available to you soon.
    Tracey yours to Rebecca about ““you would take BP meds to keep you healthy, your mental health is as important”. Well said.
    Rosemarie, those dratted deer!
    Today is @janetr 's anniversary. Miss seeing her smiling face.
    10/4: Move: ZERO sets PT, line dance class. An excuse to postpone PT. Steps:6529
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=18 CI<CO net=606 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, Post Office, Library Wt:131.0
    Chiro cancelled, masseuse postponed so have NO excuse not to do PT tomorrow morning, take dogs to the powerline and play with plants ;)
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    October: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday,
    I am back to trying to find eating and moving balance. Am back to logging even though I know I have been eating too much. Upside... I was over in protein and fiber yesterday! I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a small afternoon snack. I have done it before and will do it again.

Tracey I know...but depending on project and foot traffic, sometimes home is the more productive work time. It would help if I had an office, but alas my office is the front counter. I didn't bring work home last night.

We got the Tbird refueled and parked for winter. It has been fun driving her! I got laundry going last night. Cooked easy dinner, cooked chicken breast for lunch today, cleaned up kitchen. I seriously tried to get the energy to just move to two songs....but before that thought could mature I fell asleep in the chair! Was in bed at 9. Only woke up once around midnight, then right back to sleep.

Today....portions, movement, indoor plants back inside, finish laundry, pack lunch, home paper work pile. Starting the morning with you and my bum in the hot tub!

I am blessed to be part of this wonderful family of strong, intelligent, creative, and caring women.

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where the sun is back to being lazy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    I think I might have finished the writing of my hook, with only polishing to go. :D I won't publish it until I get back from France, because of needing to do a bit of publicity, but I think ..... think ......it's mainly out of my head and onto the page.
    It's called NOW I AM.
    Still haven't firmed up a subtitle.

I did my typing today on my new laptop support. I work on the bed, and this does seem to make it easier. Feels more office-like. :p

Woke up this morning and did my Waitrose order for Saturday.
    We have covid jabs this afternoon in town.

The garage called to say they had a slot for an MOT, so the car has gone there. He collected it. We were going to have it done while we are away, but this is more convenient. We are so lucky to have a garage just around the corner.

Making pesto after lunch for tonight's meal and one more. My basil has grown again! I want it cut back for when we are away, to see if it survives

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    My new laptop support.
    18253qxzglax.jpg
    jlrjvgf9jcqa.jpg
    :p

Heather UK xxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Heather - I’m glad you were able to get it all booked and sorted. It is a bit nerve wracking when you’re doing online stuff.
    What a great painting from Edie. She has talent.

I have always done all of the planning and such in our marriage. When we were first married it was more of a partnership. Over the years of him driving truck I had to take it over and ever since it’s been me. We discuss things but I “push the buttons”, probably in more ways than one. 😂
    I am thinking of getting a flu and Covid jab, but waiting a bit. I’m not really going anywhere or doing anything and want it to be effective when my practicum starts in May. I figure by that time my immune system will need a boost before going to work with children.

Barbara - happy anniversary, we were married in 87 as well.
    We don’t have a choice but to do the home projects, there are a few more things to go before we are done. We just need the money and time to do it.
    Happy to read your nephew came through the surgery successfully and that Joe got his new vehicle.

Betsy - I hope your son keeps it touch.

Lisa - I can’t wait to see the finished projects you are working on.
    I am working on a stocking right now and came up with an idea for Rodger’s Mom for Christmas. I may work on that today.
    Sorry to John and Kelsey.

Rebecca - I’m so glad your youngest is keeping in contact again. What a relief for you.

Rita - Those snobby people are the worst to deal with.
    I hope your bloodwork got figured out and congrats on the 51 days!

Carol - I enjoyed the witticisms.

Machka - That grey hair trend is here too, I’m not ready for it either. I just feel old when mine is past due for a colour.
    I think I would go talk to the neighbours, do you have bylaws regarding dogs barking for extended times?

Kylia - it’s a shame you have to do work at home to stay caught up. I think I would enjoy a hot tub. We would need to upgrade our electrical or use a propane one.

Rori - Your decoration is beautiful. I struggle with those types of designs.
    Have fun with your friend and your job.

Heather - my friend and I were talking last night about this generation of mothers and fathers. They seem to be much more involved with the children and the housework comes second. I don’t think it’s a bad thing. As we all know those years go so much faster than we think when we’re in the thick of it.

Ginny - I hope you have a calmer day today and are able to regroup.

Kim - Levi is such a huge part of your life of course you’re going to help him. I bet you’ll figure out the perfect plan for you come Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Rebecca - I hope the pills help you. I know someone that has been on a low dosage for 40 years. She is high functioning and intelligent. She said over the years she tried to wean off of them and her brain chemistry would go wonky again. She told me when I was worrying about taking them for a long time, “you would take BP meds to keep you healthy, your mental health is as important”. “Don’t feel guilty or rush to get off them”.

Lanette - I haven’t heard of the blessing boxes, but what a wonderful idea. You are wonderful for doing this, some people will be grateful to have this I’m sure.
    You are handling being on your own with grace. I hope if I’m ever in your shoes I do as well.

Tina - - breathtaking photos. I have been to Banff a few times, I prefer Jasper. The next time you come you should do the Icefields Parkway Route. We took our time travelling through there a few years ago and I’ve always wanted to do it again.

Pip - I have been on this thread since April of 2018, is this the second pair of monkey shoes you’ve worn out in that time? I seem to remember you getting this pair, or I’m dreaming.

Michele - I can’t imagine losing my mother at 9 years of age. Hugs to you.

Allie - I agree with Lisa, keep moving. I was in pain for much longer than I had to be due to poor directions to rest my hips. It actually made everything worse. I try to move every 20 minutes at minimum for a period of at least 5 minutes. I don’t always succeed but I notice if I don’t.
    I hope Carmine settles back into her old school easily. At least she is going to school.

Sue - I hope you find some relief soon.

I have been debating getting a small freezer, the thing that is stopping me is where to actually put one. Every room in our place is full. There is nothing I can think to get rid of and if I try to squeeze more in it will be crowded and that will set my mind on fire I’m sure. I’ve been noodling on it for a while now. I’ll reach a decision at some point.

Well I’m caught up from yesterday and so far today. My daughter and her friend came to craft. Her other friend with the 18 month old was sick and couldn’t come. I told her she is welcome anytime.
    Kaitlyn was one of the photographers at my friends wedding she worked on going through the pictures and choosing the best ones, she edited a few but not all of them.
    She made herself a coffee mug and her friend made two.
    They have other projects in mind so we’ll be doing this again soon.

Today I think I am going to work on a Christmas present for Rodger’s Mom. Since Kaitlyn and Brodey are heading to NB they will take the gifts which saves us a lot of money.

My Mom’s nursing home has one case of Covid I’m hoping it stays that way and it doesn’t go on lockdown since Kaitlyn and Brodey would like to see her.

Finished the design part of one stocking.
    gvl6j7anxju4.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton

What you said is what I needed to hear today.💖 thank you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Heather - Well done on the new laptop 💻 support - they're such a good idea. My laptop table has made a big difference in both keeping my posture upright and preventing my hands from falling asleep while writing. That kind of correctly angled support is much better than actually using them in our laps - Corey sits in bed with his legs straight out and his laptop in his lap for hours every weekend morning, and I wouldn't last for 15 minutes if I did that! Well done, too, on the finish of NOW I AM.🍾🥂🎇You're a writing machine, woman... 📝 Hope you and Johnnie enjoy France tremendously.
    I am blessed to be part of this wonderful family of strong, intelligent, creative, and caring women. <3
    Kylia in Ohio where the sun is back to being lazy
    Totally agree with both - the sun is being lazy here, too!🙃

Tracey - Loving the stocking! 🤶 I never could deal with the fiddly bits like sequins or beads, can't even deal with counted cross-stitch or embroidery, 🪡 though I did quite a bit when I was much younger. Not sure I could deal with sewing at all if I had to do it by hand - am even teaching myself machine applique so I don't have to do hand applique for the quilt I'm working on. I admire those who can do that, though, and your pieces are always lovely. The details, like the ladder on the truck, and the fire station garage door are just wonderful. You're right on about the movement, too. 🤸The regular movement is helping me so much with the pain and stiffness of arthritis, particularly as the damp coolness of the fall makes it tougher. The more I move, the better I feel.
    This morning I was 7 kg down from my high weight in late April/early May. :smiley: 7 kg is 15.4 lbs, I think.
    M in Oz
    Well done, Machka!

Regarding mental health 🤯 and medications 💊:
    Like Barbie, I always have tried other routes, but if needed, worked with medications to accomplish my aims. When I quit smoking, I tried going cold turkey more than once. Then I tried Chantix at least a dozen times - would succeed for a while in quitting and go right back. Eventually, I began vaping instead of trying medication, and it helped me get completely off cigarettes.

A few years later, in order to stop vaping, I tried a combination of taking Wellbutrin and slowly dropping my nicotine amounts in the vape liquid I was using. The combination worked, and it's been years now since I've had nicotine of any kind. Corey followed me down that path but without medications, first moving from smoking to vaping, and then quitting vaping. Dropping his nicotine levels alone worked for Corey, and it's been almost a year now for him without any kind of nicotine. Like me, he started feeling like it was making his lungs feel wet and kind of awful. So, in the end, was it the meds or the change in the nicotine that worked for me? I honestly don't know.

About two years into the illness they recently diagnosed as Crohn's disease, I weaned myself off the Wellbutrin over about a month's time, and haven't gone back to it yet. Doesn't mean I wouldn't if I felt I needed that leveling that Rebecca spoke of--it flattened my affect in any number of ways, which helps a lot when you're struggling emotionally--when you get off the emotional rollercoaster, you can see your world so much more clearly, and you're able to make decisions that make sense without nearly as much pain or upset.

So the answer for me has always been, if it works for you and accomplishes your aims, then do what's necessary for you and for your own mental and physical health. Others' opinions, or even your own long-held opinions, are secondary to your health and well-being.

OK, down off the soapbox, and speaking of soap, it's laundry👚👖👕day today, third load in the washer swooshing. Shelving is supposed to be delivered by FedEx, but could be anytime today. Hopefully early, while I still have energy, but I can tackle it tomorrow too, if need be. Pottery this afternoon from 3 to 5, and need to stop on the way to get some fuel for the car.

Don't know why the emojis today... just feeling colorful, I guess.
    oz8g9m68fspe.gif

Don't you just love unicorn farts? :smiley:
    Have a lovely day, y'all, and happy Fall for those in the Northern Hemisphere!

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    Lanette said” Ladies - thank you for the chicken memes! Rita - I'll send the girls down in their Flying Saucer chicken coop to pick you up next year for the Flying Saucer party! Gladys says she'll steer so it might be a bumpy ride. :D But thrilling!””

I’m game! Send them down! I’ll be sure to put my seat belt on! 🛸🤢👽😂

RVRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate caring people.
    Meditation: daily. 1/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/3 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)73/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today.
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.]/spoiler]
    RVRita , Roswell, NM