What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Roasted Brussels & Sweet Potato with a honey & mustard skyr based dip.

balcon2or165.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Day 3 in Siena. Unfortunately we discovered you can get a bad meal in Tuscany. Our boutique hotel doesn't have a laundry service so we wasted part of the afternoon getting to a laundromat and doing laundry. Wasted lunch opportunity because we ended up buying a panini from across the street to eat while we watching the laundry. Was looking forward to a nice dinner to compensate but alas we ended up at a disappointing osteria. We shared paparadelle with white ragu that was too salty. I had tagliata with caramelized onions which was tough, being butchered in a direction with chewy grain running across the steak. Hubby's ossobucco (not pictured) was tough too and full of fat and gristle. Fried courgette flowers were good if a little greasy. Green salad was served with good olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Decent bread which is unusual for Tuscany. Their traditional salt free bread is not very nice.
    61eh7992q7gb.jpeg
    juvsv8kru9n9.jpeg
    tb79jmd7vy0u.jpeg
    ffh6q9hmsnwa.jpeg

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,805 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Thai-ish green curry made with eggplant, green beans, and cherry tomatoes. I can't remember where I found this recipe originally, and I've tinkered with it quite a bit. Today I used regular eggplant instead of Japanese eggplant, and Italian instead of Thai basil, because that's what I had available :# and it still came out delicious.

I've also been experimenting with reducing the amount of saturated fat. The original recipe calls for 2 cans of coconut milk, and I replaced half of that with 4 Tbsp cashew butter. The curry lost some of that yummy coconutty flavor, but there's plenty of other flavor that this didn't bother me. And the cashew butter made it so nice and creamy! I'm pleased with my successful experiment.
    8726i3jgy6vo.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    The good thing is we finally figured out how to order in Italy. The classic progression of antipasto, primo, secondo with contorno is way too much food. We can usually agree on contorno (=veggie sides) to share. The only antipasto we can agree to share are the mixed cold cuts or veggie bruschetta. We definitely can't agree on secondo's (meat course) because I like rared grilled meat while he likes tough cuts braised to submission. But we can agree on a pasta to share.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Menu tonight was a large stack of tilapia fillets (seasoned w/lemon pepper, salt, & porq panko low carb crumbs).

Also had some salad from the fridge drizzled w/a bit of olive oil & red wine vinegar, and cauliflower pureed w/cream cheese & parmesan on the side.

vdtbbzbd07i9.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Mid morning pick me up of coffee and gelato. When in Italy I never miss a nocciolo (hazelnut) gelato.
    cqvp9awy7ze2.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    I thought last night's dinner in Siena was the worst food I ever had in Tuscany but tonight was even worse. We went to a place recommended by a friend as his favourite restaurant in Siena. Did the chef get covid and lose his sense of taste? Charmingly old fashioned decor, promising rustic menu. Our antipasto of chicken liver with an egg yolk was quite good if rather rich. My companion's spaghetti aglio olio was so salty as to be inedible. My stuffed rabbit was mostly pork stuffing and very little rabbit. Very little flavour other than salt. Greasy accompanying potatoes were also so salty they were inedible.
    pamiewzehxl0.jpeg
    j7y6u9ntk3qb.jpeg
    3s7nwbbwonio.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Lunch at a simple osteria near the university. I had grilled chicken and the hubby had stewed chicken. A side of sauteed veg.
    yru7ok5o859p.jpeg
    mfdmnnvcc0wb.jpeg
    8orhw5z38i81.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    It's our last night in Siena and we went back to the dependable place where we ate on Tuesday night. We shared the swordfish carpacio starter which went surprisingly well with lightly sweetened berry coulis. I followed with tagliata with porcini and roast potato. Hubby had rare tuna steak with sweet and sour endive and grapes. We shared some salad. Dinner was great.
    ura3ursw4wkc.jpeg
    vprqwplw64i3.jpeg

• widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The rare but much needed room service..a treat 😋 mcyvcyrmt9qp.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Last thing I ate in Siena. Hazelnut and pistachio.
    bn6k0s64onry.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,218 Member
    Options
    I was going to heat up some red pepper soup yesterday, but I thought I'd soak some chantaboon rice noodles to add to it to spruce it up. While they were soaking, I thought it would be better if I gave 'em a quick pan-fry. So instead I chopped a half shallot, a large chanterelle mushroom I had found the previous week, some garlic, and a shishito chile. I fried those up, added the noodles briefly, then stirred in some scrambled egg. All it needed was a little salt - I just ate the soup by itself after I ate the noodles. Funny how things don't always turn out the way you think they will. Had I though of it sooner, I would have chopped and added some back bacon (Canadian bacon - the real stuff) because I had a couple slices left waiting for a good use. Oh well. Maybe next time.

rg6fxf7ad4jh.jpg