OCTOBER 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Trying to understand what “run the year” means. Explanation for us newbies to this group is welcomed.

Have the members of this group ever tried to get together in a city for a racing event? Some cities have multiple races in one day, like an 8K, 1/2 marathon and marathon all in the same morning with staggered start times. That way we can each pick what works for us at our level. Maybe an east coast city/date and a west coast city/date? Maybe a set up in other countries depending on where everyone’s from.

Thought it might be fun for some of us to meet each other and do an event together.

Thoughts……
  • daria0919
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @shanaber thanks for sharing the beautiful beach photos! Love it he dramatic skies, the pup and the sand dollar.

Thanks for sharing the Run the Year info and site. Looks like something I’m going to give a try.

@Scott6255 thanks for the Run the Year info and site as well.
  • daria0919
    Options
    Other questions : what is Strava? An app, I think? Is it free?
    I have my Garmin. Who’s using Garmin? And who’s using Strava? I’m not in the loop on all the running technology- I have basically just used the Garmin connect app in the past.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    @daria0919 - Strava is an app/website (strava.com) that is also social kind of like MFP. There is a free version or you can pay for the additional features. I use the free version and it works fine for me and I don't really know any longer what the paid version offers.
    You can have your runs/walks/workouts synched from whatever running app or device you are using like Garmin or FitBit or you can use Strava directly to record what you are doing. I don't have a Garmin and I am not real fond of the Apple workout app so I use Strava on my Apple Watch to record my runs/walks/workouts.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,025 Member
    Options
    Oh no @yirara ! I do hope you are feeling better today!

You did great @martaindale . Hahaha I guess Garmin just likes pain.

Nice running @Laurz9191 . Lovely pictures!

Nice running @Mari33a .

You are doing great @mnsmov15 !

I'm so glad to see that you had the energy for a run too @shanaber. Love your beach pictures. Too bad about the monarchs.

Love your travels @tarun_yadavA . I am curious if the vegetarian Whopper at Burger King is made to taste like beef or something else.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,277 Member
    Options
    daria0919 wrote: »
    I have my Garmin. Who’s using Garmin?

Probably most here use Garmin, it is the oldest 'runners' watch. Fitbit and Apple are very common too. Good smaller players are Suunto and Polar.

This is all the actual watch 'hardware' end of things. MFP, Strava, Training Peaks, and all of these companies' various apps are the software/analysis/social end of things.

Some advice I've heard, that makes a lot of sense is that "All the hardware is basically very similar, go where most of your friends are, because that will keep you going."
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,277 Member
    Options
    Have the members of this group ever tried to get together in a city for a racing event? Some cities have multiple races in one day, like an 8K, 1/2 marathon and marathon all in the same morning with staggered start times. That way we can each pick what works for us at our level
    shanaber wrote: »
    I love running in La Jolla!

You should check out the La Jolla HM or the San Diego Holiday Half. La Jolla HM is beautiful and goes up from Del Mar to the Torrey Pines Mesa and finishes at La Jolla Cove.

@shanaber Let's collaborate and host a "MFP monthly running thread" Race and Meetup at the 2024 version of the La Jolla HM. You in?

We can all wear Team MFP "quilt style" running shirts.

Here's the last push for this kind of thing.

The beautiful La Jolla Half in 2024. Who's ready to form the planning committee?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I have my Garmin. Who’s using Garmin?

Probably most here use Garmin, it is the oldest 'runners' watch. Fitbit and Apple are very common too. Good smaller players are Suunto and Polar.

This is all the actual watch 'hardware' end of things. MFP, Strava, Training Peaks, and all of these companies' various apps are the software/analysis/social end of things.

Some advice I've heard, that makes a lot of sense is that "All the hardware is basically very similar, go where most of your friends are, because that will keep you going."

Yeah, I also have a Garmin. I'm not quite convinced by it's ability to measure distance correctly though. I just need a few trees, even without leaves or some houses lining a street and the measured distance is shorter. Found a solution in the end: I'm using a footpod, without calibration factor and method set to correct distance. Oddly then I get the correct distance (on measured race routes).
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Oh no @yirara ! I do hope you are feeling better today!

You did great @martaindale . Hahaha I guess Garmin just likes pain.

Nice running @Laurz9191 . Lovely pictures!

Nice running @Mari33a .

You are doing great @mnsmov15 !

I'm so glad to see that you had the energy for a run too @shanaber. Love your beach pictures. Too bad about the monarchs.

Love your travels @tarun_yadavA . I am curious if the vegetarian Whopper at Burger King is made to taste like beef or something else.

As a vegetarian I have no idea what beef tastes like, but I know Burger King here claims their veggie whopper tastes just like what they call a real whopper.
    Somehow, I doubt it. They're edible, but generally, the stuff they call meat substitutes that they say taste like the real thing taste like cardboard.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo @eleanorhawkins hello ladies!
    I don't mind the meat substitute stuff like Beyond and Impossible... But don't think they're using that out here in this part of Asia... Looks like some battered chickpea/potato/kidney bean concoction
  • daria0919
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA thank you for sharing the amazing photos and catching us up on your trip! The temples, people and beautiful colors…. You have a beautiful family!

All, - thanks for the info on Garmin and Strava