WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    2023 New Ways November

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate antibiotics.
    Meditation: daily. 9/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 0/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%).
    85 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 6521,6471,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 (10,00%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 228/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change.)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)97/96 100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 5/23. (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 47/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—
    December met—

1. Make a list of new things you want to do this month. 1. Start Christmas shopping, 2. Work on my happiness, 3. Walk the mall at least once. 4. Read a new book
    2. Respond to a difficult situation in a different way. I will see what comes up, but the daily readings I do have helped a lot already! Did this!
    3. Get outside and observe the changes in nature around you..Supposed to be in the low 80’s (f) here today and the week to come so will have plenty of time to do this. Didn’t do this today, sick.
    4. Sign up to join a new course, activity, or online community. I’ll have to look around for this. Thinking about something to do with MCC. I joined 2 new groups on FB.
    5. Change your normal routine today and notice how you feel. Will do!
    6. Try out a new way of being physically active. I will have to think about this. Maybe do a YouTube video. Did not do this.
    7. Be creative. Cook, draw, write, paint, make or inspire. I will Zendoodle. I tried out my DH’s suggestion for mirror letters.
    8. Plan a new idea or activity you want to try out this year. I have a water color set. I will experiment with that.
    9. When you feel you can’t do something, add the word ‘yet’. I need to remember this.
    10. Be curious, learn about a new topic or an inspiring idea. I learned about Alonon and downloaded their app and read through it.
    11. Choose a different route and see what you notice on the way. I did this on my walk today.
    12. Find out something new about someone you care about. Research time!
    13. Do something playful outdoors - walk, run, explore, relax. Took a walk.
    14. Find a new way to help or support a cause you care about. Have to think about this.
    15. Build on new ideas by thinking “yes, and what if…” I will remember this!
    16. Look at life at someone else’s eyes and see their perspective. According to my therapist, this is called empathy. I do this but not enough. Will try to do better.
    17. Try a new way to practice self-care and be kind to yourself. Staying in bed and resting today.
    18. Connect with someone from a different generation.
    19. Broaden your perspective: read a different paper, magazine, or site.
    20. Make a meal using a recipe or ingredient you haven’t used before.
    21. Learn a new skill from a friend or share one of yours with them.
    22. Find a new way to tell someone you appreciate them.
    23. Set aside a time to pursue an activity your love.
    24. Share with a friend something useful you learned recently.
    25. Use one of your strengths in a new and creative way.
    26. Try out a different radio station or new TV show.
    27. Join a friend doing a hobby and find out why they love it.
    28. Discover your creative side. Design a friendly greeting card.
    29. Enjoy new music today. Play, sing, dance or listen.
    30. Look for new reasons to be hopeful, even in tough times.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

God, I offer myself to Thee
    To build with me
    and to do with me as Thou wilt.
    Relieve me of the bondage of self,
    that I may better do Thy will.
    Take away my difficulties,
    that victory over them may bear witness
    to those I would help of Thy Power,
    Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
    May I do Thy will always!
    ]
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,545 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Lisa- The pottery is gorgeous! Not sure WHY you couldn't wear gloves while working with clay. I would try it, if I wanted to pursue a hobby I liked. My hubby uses Capzasin with the no mess applicator (roll on). We usually have to order it online, as the stores don't seem to carry it regularly. Same with Joint Flex with Turmeric. All of that stuff has gotten SO expensive! I have decided to look into making my own pain relief creams using turmeric and capzacin.
    More of you I want to reply to; but will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday! ttfn xoxox KJ (Kelly)
    KJ - Thank you, both for the compliment and for the advice on the roll-on! I'm going to try the cream that I've got on my knees, but will use nitrile gloves to apply it. :smiley:

And speaking of gloves, there is a tremendous amount of touch sensitivity involved in throwing pieces on a pottery wheel. You have to know how wet the clay is, if you need to add more water, or take it away. You have to control the speed of the spin according to how thick the clay is that you're working with, and you have to know, not just how it looks, but how thick the clay is between your fingers inside the piece and outside the piece as you bring the clay up into the shape you're trying to accomplish. Basically, you discard one of your senses when you wear gloves, and it is the sense that is most necessary to create with clay on a wheel.

I'll still be working with polymer clay - it doesn't make me feel like I'm playing with mud pies. :smiley: Totally different feel and outcomes, no kiln necessary to harden it (just an oven at 275F), and doesn't make me feel like I need to wash my hands all the time! :smiley: There are so many other hobbies or crafts that I love that I don't have time to do them all... I've just always wanted to know if I'd be good at throwing pottery on a wheel, and now I know. The movie "Ghost" has a lot to answer for... :wink:

Speaking of which, just spoke to the roofer, and now it's time to create Orion in crochet.

It's a weird life.

I've got laundry to fold later, that will bring me back down to earth with a bump. :blush:

Later, my people...
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    And Today Is watch a movie while eating home mad bread and Baklava!
    ggtdqtc0od6f.jpeg
    tdus3tx6e12k.jpeg
    09120fbhw6d3.jpeg
    d3ds8dc9fi6t.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,540 Member
    Options
    Allie hope you feel better soon!

I bought myself a new pair of black suede ankle boots by Clark through Amazon. They fit! Yay! I will wear them on Thanksgiving with my black and grey camo pants and a big fuzzy purple cowl neck sweater. Then I need earrings, but I have several choices.

My dad left his car running in the garage with the door open. He can't hear it running. His driving days are coming to an end soon.

Annie in Delaware

Outfit sounds lovely! Need photos when you wear it.👍🏼😁.
    Your Dads driving situation sounds scary. If it were me, I would take away his keys, and tell him no more driving period.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Lisa--Beautiful and love the blue color. The afghan you made your grandson is beautiful and the story with it is a great way to feel connected.
    Barbara--Company's just don't care about the customers. I know I was doing the check book and DH renewed our car plates on line. There was a 19.95 extra taken out of our account. I called this morning to find out why. They have a new service doing the plates and they charges a precent fee. No where does it say that on the renewal notice or anywhere on line. Then we are on budget for our electric and I noticed it was $1 for this month. So called them and they tell me it was a one time charge to everyone for their new computer update. No notice or anything. I know these are small amounts, but they add up.
    Kylia--Love your bears. I have several around my chair and the house to keep an eye on things.
    Rebecca--How scary, Glad DH is taking extra care of you.
    Not a lot today. I am off the weekend and then only work 3 days next week. Going to take the 4 days off over Thanksgiving.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Ugh Rebecca thats the worst..I had it quite a few times and it was horrible ,even in the middle of the night I woke up and got sick..
    Got Doris to her eye appointment and then took her to lunch..
    We enjoy each others company so very much..I will be lost when she passes.
    Lets not think about that...
    Im home and really tired.. so hanging with the pooch.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,431 Member
    Options
    Rita - I thought of you and your container garden yesterday. This spring I planted some carrot seeds in a pot. I watered them when I remembered. The deer ate the tops off them. Chickens pecked at the dirt. I noticed the top of the pot was buried under fallen leaves yesterday - I checked and what a nice surprise - a few decent sized carrots were hiding. They really grew in the past month. Definitely going to repeat that next year. Sorry you are under the weather. :(

Annie - well shoot, my circuit breaker idea won't help with the stove problem :p. Crossing fingers the nurse will have some ideas you haven't already thought of.

Debbie - wow, sorry to hear about all of your mom's problems with Sears extended warranties. Especially that freezer! Sears closed its store in our area several years ago, and KMart (I think the same owners?) at the same time. I miss them both - for the clothing lines they carried, not the appliances.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much for the lovely words on the pottery, and the short answer, Heather, is no, I won't be pursuing pottery as any kind of regular indulgence or vocation. I triggered a minor phobia during that eight-week class that I didn't even know I had.

I get very uncomfortable when my hands are dirty.
    Not just a little uncomfortable either. I've always worn gloves for gardening and dishwashing, and anything where my hands could get smelly or mucky, and not thought about it that much. But when you're throwing clay, you can't wear gloves. I would get more and more clay-covered, and the muddier I got, the twitchier I got.

However, you just can't walk away to wash your hands when you're working on the wheel. I dealt with it long enough to make the pieces I made for the class, but I watched my classmate just revel in working on the wheel, and she was absolutely in heaven. She was even in the lab last night while I was finishing up my glazing, and she was throwing even more pieces. You could tell how much she loved it.

As for me, I'll paint all day long, but can't handle being dirty... Seriously, Freud would just have so much fun poking at my tattered little twisty psyche. Ah well. Luckily, he's dead.

Here's the verdict on the other piece I'm working on. Egg always loves the pieces I make while they are in progress... I've finished the main midnight-blue background of my grandson's afghan, and as soon as I can get to it without a kitty on it, I'll start fastening the "stars" on for the constellation of Orion. I'll have to pin them on and then sew them on by hand. Then I need to put the story together and printed out on how I've always been able to see Orion on the darkest nights of winter, no matter where I lived, so I always felt like I was home, because the people I loved could see it too.

88wo22eja320.png
    Later, my chickens,
    Love from Arkansas,
    Lisa

I also have a thing about getting my hands dirty. Although I have discovered that I am OK with my hands in soil. But it did take a little while before I was comfortable with that.

The other day I got a tiny dot of sap on my hand while walking Rhody and was walking around with my hand out in front of me like it was unclean! My husband actually came over and wiped the tiny dot of sap off.

I'm the same way with getting food on my hands and I can't stand the thought of touching raw meat with my hands. And rubbish bins where you've got to push them open with a hand are just horrible!

And Orion ... that's one constellation I have always watched too.

I still watch it here even though he's facing the wrong way!

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Vickie I feel the same way. It is rare to see prices drop. Our city just passed a 1% sales tax. I did not vote for it because they say it is to fix our roads. I think those who voted for it thought this would fix their road. It will only fix a portion of our roads and then money is supposed to go to parks and who knows what else. Even the outgoing City Council person said it was a bait and switch tax. Our sales tax in the city will be close to 10%. I am close to a suburb that does not have this added tax. I do most of my shopping there because that is where I volunteer and where I like to shop is close by. At least here they do not tax clothes or food. At one point I felt if you breathed they somehow added a fee.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    We had a load of topsoil delivered and today we put down grass seed and straw. Soup kitchen today.

Pip – how I wish you lived closer so that I can give you some of our camping stuff

Allie – good savings

Tracey – as far as taking a casserole and not going in the house, I think Ken would have a very hard time with that. As it is, he gets on Lynette’s case because she’s not a good housekeeper and so they don’t have company. So if I were to give him something and not go in the house, I think he’d get on Lynette’s case again. Guess I’ll just do nothing. Your story of your tongue on the railing reminded me of the scene from the movie “Christmas Story” where the kid gets his tongue stuck to a pole.

Question: does anyone brine their turkey? If so, do you put it in the refrigerator to brine? Or somewhere else---where?

Lanette – we’re going to Jess’ and having dinner on Friday, too. Travel on the day before thanksgiving is a nightmare! We’ll come home the Sat. BK asked me to work on sunday. I usually don’t work Sunday but since I’d been away, I decided to be a nice guy and ask them if they’d like me to work

Had to pick up a Mary Kay order for Jess yesterday then went to the MD for a “you’re alive” visit. All’s fine. Then spread topsoil

Jerry smelled again today. I have this deodorant that I’m not crazy about. I’ll tell him that I was going to donate it, but thought he might like it.

They’re having a Christmas party at the ceramics studio on the 9th, so I’ll get a gift at Sam’s. It’ll be free since we have Sam’s cash (or whatever it’s called). Then on that Monday we have a bowling party. I’m thinking that for both I’ll make a chicken bacon ranch casserole

Rita – I don’t like getting more than one shot at a time in case I have a reaction. This way I know to which shot I had the reaction.

Will make a pumpkin pie, a kafli (casserole – pasta), sweet potato casserole, and a chocolate dessert that Jess would like

Allie – feel better fast. Thanks for the day brightener

Lisa – lovely pottery

Went to Kohl’s tonight and got stocking stuffers for Jess and Colby. Went mainly because I had $5 Kohl’s cash, a coupon for $5, plus another coupon for another 30% off. So in the end, my $30 purchase was only $5.

Debbie – we had a Sears grill, was having problems with it and since the Sears near us is gone, after 15 years we got a new one.

Need to take a shower and then get to bed.

Michele NC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Lisa You are a quick study! I love your pottery. My DH and youngest grandson really dislike dirty hands. That goes for foods that are messy as well. Thank you, the bears are comfort and helped warm me up last night after 2 of them visited their hot tub(aka the microwave).

Heather I hear you! They normally share an old rocking chair. I only have two that are regularly in the bed and rotate one of the others. One is 16 yrs old from BFF. Grey bear my DH got me two years ago. He thought Grey bear would help with depression. The obsession has grown. I prefer to keep things contained normally.

Rita Sorry about uti. Cranberry juice, water, meds, and rest.

Yesterday R left work at 2 for doctors appointment. SIL left at 4 because she was bored. Other mechanic left at 5 because he can't drive in the dark. At 530 I was still trying to catch up on things! I think my precursor to migraine is cold. I seriously couldn't get warm last night then woke up with migraine around 2 am. Took meds early and it took care of it, so will have to remember this in future.

Today my DH surprised me when he said we had errands to run during the work day!!!!! SIL was snippy that we were leaving-lol! Got quite a few errands run. I just have some shopping left to do. I can't shop for my stuffs with DH. Too many questions. SIL left right after we got back. R is getting next week off to recover from pneumonia. He is in poor health anyway. Dr told him yesterday if he didn't get better in the next week he would get hospitalized again. He has missed 5 weeks this year in addition to a week vacation. He has been with us about 2 years. So I presented him with the option of taking off until next Friday and giving up his Christmas bonus in exchange for getting the paycheck. He accepted. Remember, I am not the boss, but i came up with a solution. DH and SIL had to agree, but they thought it was a good compromise. 👍 I got over 11k steps, below calorie intake, got hot tub chemicals right, ordered two pair of jeans, good day! Still need to order a new pair of black boots. Mine were over 5 yo and fell apart today.

Vicki The bears are comforting! Enjoy your days off. I get Thursday off.....

hmjack Each of us started small. One day at a time, one step at a time. Up until 2 weeks ago, I was luck to get 6-7 k steps a day. I found a walking app I like and try to move more during the day. This includes dancing in place if I am standing at counter and pacing when on phone. Little changes bring big rewards. Keep it up! Tomorrow go for 6025 steps.

I need to get to bed. Talk to you all later!
    Thank you for being here and sharing!

<3,
    Kylia in Ohio where winter is rearing her head
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,540 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Lisa--Beautiful and love the blue color. The afghan you made your grandson is beautiful and the story with it is a great way to feel connected.
    Barbara--Company's just don't care about the customers. I know I was doing the check book and DH renewed our car plates on line. There was a 19.95 extra taken out of our account. I called this morning to find out why. They have a new service doing the plates and they charges a precent fee. No where does it say that on the renewal notice or anywhere on line. Then we are on budget for our electric and I noticed it was $1 for this month. So called them and they tell me it was a one time charge to everyone for their new computer update. No notice or anything. I know these are small amounts, but they add up.
    Kylia--Love your bears. I have several around my chair and the house to keep an eye on things.
    Rebecca--How scary, Glad DH is taking extra care of you.
    Not a lot today. I am off the weekend and then only work 3 days next week. Going to take the 4 days off over Thanksgiving.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

He has been spoiling me.🤗💖