Burn The Belly

Options

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Armaretta - what an incredible difference! You've done so well! Thanks for publishing, and for sharing your profile too. :flowerforyou:

Just one question - are those calorie charts and BM v HRM comparison charts on the wall behind you?! :laugh:
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Armaretta - what an incredible difference! You've done so well! Thanks for publishing, and for sharing your profile too. :flowerforyou:

Just one question - are those calorie charts and BM v HRM comparison charts on the wall behind you?! :laugh:
    That is a Periodic Table of Elements shower curtain actually :blushing: My husband got it for me as a joke. I'm a chemist, quite the nerd like I said :laugh:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    [/quote]
    That is a Periodic Table of Elements shower curtain actually :blushing: My husband got it for me as a joke. I'm a chemist, quite the nerd like I said :laugh:
    [/quote]

Wonderful! I love your husband's sense of humour!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I ran for 85 minutes burning 752 calories according to polar and 691 according to BM

@amaretta: I use a Polar and one thing I always do is subtract my RMR/Daily Burn from just sitting around. The HRM records your total burn, not just the 'extra' you burned because you ran instead of sitting around. I always thought the BM did too, but maybe it has a way to account for it?

In my case that's about 1.1 cal/min (TDEE/1440), so if those were my burn rates I'd be recording 668 cals.
    The difference in yours is 61 cals, so divided into 85min is 0.71 ... is your TDEE around 1022 ? That seems way low to me, but if BM is accounting for just some of it, that could be the reason for the difference.
  • armaretta
    Options
    I ran for 85 minutes burning 752 calories according to polar and 691 according to BM

@amaretta: I use a Polar and one thing I always do is subtract my RMR/Daily Burn from just sitting around. The HRM records your total burn, not just the 'extra' you burned because you ran instead of sitting around. I always thought the BM did too, but maybe it has a way to account for it?

In my case that's about 1.1 cal/min (TDEE/1440), so if those were my burn rates I'd be recording 668 cals.
    The difference in yours is 61 cals, so divided into 85min is 0.71 ... is your TDEE around 1022 ? That seems way low to me, but if BM is accounting for just some of it, that could be the reason for the difference.
    I think you are confusing TDEE with BMR? TDEE is what you burn all day from being alive and activity. BMR is what you would burn siting up doing absolutely nothing else all day. My BMR is actually around 1400-1500. My TDEE is measured by the BodyMedia device. It is usually between 2000-2800 depending on what kind of day I'm having.

Your math appears to be assuming that the difference in the BM and Polar are due to what I would burn during that time just being alive. I'm questioning the difference based upon the accuracy of each device. The burn recorded by the BM includes the burn from being alive and from the extra exertion. The HRM should be measuring both as well. So the difference lies in the accuracy of the devices themselves.

I'm running my own trial experiment to see which is more accurate. I hypothesize that the BM is more accurate since it uses several different measurements to calculate calorie burns rather than one like the HRM.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options

I think you are confusing TDEE with BMR? TDEE is what you burn all day from being alive and activity. BMR is what you would burn siting up doing absolutely nothing else all day. My BMR is actually around 1400-1500. My TDEE is measured by the BodyMedia device. It is usually between 2000-2800 depending on what kind of day I'm having.

Your math appears to be assuming that the difference in the BM and Polar are due to what I would burn during that time just being alive. I'm questioning the difference based upon the accuracy of each device. The burn recorded by the BM includes the burn from being alive and from the extra exertion. The HRM should be measuring both as well. So the difference lies in the accuracy of the devices themselves.

I'm running my own trial experiment to see which is more accurate. I hypothesize that the BM is more accurate since it uses several different measurements to calculate calorie burns rather than one like the HRM.

No, I know the difference between BMR (coma calories), RMR (sitting & not moving calories) and TDEE (calories burned on an average day), but you are right that I kinda mixed RMR and TDEE up in my post. I was just offering a hypothesis on a possible cause for the difference. Doing the math it didn't seem likely-the difference is too small, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
  • armaretta
    Options
    No, I know the difference between BMR (coma calories), RMR (sitting & not moving calories) and TDEE (calories burned on an average day), but you are right that I kinda mixed RMR and TDEE up in my post. I was just offering a hypothesis on a possible cause for the difference. Doing the math it didn't seem likely-the difference is too small, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
    ok, that clears up the confusion!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    ok Ladies I'm back took some time off whether good or bad I will find out lol. Today I started slow with a run or C25k for 35 minutes, burning 430 calories. Prolly all I will do. I looked into the insoles and you were right they are like $50 WTH, I can buy better shoes for that price duh. Even though during my run my foot started to foot not horrible considering I was only out for a brief time.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I've done very little today - just 50 minutes of 'fighting ninjas' (aka brisk walking). Had 'a bit of a turn' when i got home - Ifelt cold and turned the heating on (yes, I know), then body temperature dropped really low and I just could not get warm even though standing next to radiator pouring out heat. Got into bed but no better. Started shaking violently with the cold - really bad, like I'd been out in the snow for hours. Steve took my temperature and it said about 33 (metric, sorry). After the electric blanket had been on for a while we tried again and it had gone up to 35. When I stood up my muscles were really weak and I'm soooo tired. Don't understand what happened at all - I have been eating well enough - nearly always right up to the limit on my exercise calories. I've made sure I eat this evening too. I have a routine appointment with my doctor on Wednesday morning, so not long to wait. I googled it, of course, but all i got was maybe thyroid, maybe hypothermia and one or two other obscure things. You don't think I've done this to myself do you, with all the exercise etc?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I looked into the insoles and you were right they are like $50 WTH, I can buy better shoes for that price duh. Even though during my run my foot started to foot not horrible considering I was only out for a brief time.

Try these: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Tri-Comfort-Orthotics-Packages/dp/B001EPQ5ZO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317072755&sr=8-5
    OR the women's version of these: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Massaging-Insoles-Packages/dp/B001EPQ2MU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317072755&sr=8-2

These are also in the foot care aisle. There are probably a couple more options as well. Good luck! I have had good success with these (and similar). The ones with a "foot" shape do wonders. The only difference is how long they last. Arch support makes a big difference, so just the arch gel inserts may do the trick for you.
  • jadedone
    Options
    This weekend was completely hit and miss for me. I worked out on Th, but ended up exercising harder than expected. I was looking for a 30lb dumbbell. That one wasn't available, so I used the 40 instead. I did a combo of overhead press/dead lift and I was exhausted. I didn't finish all of my targeted reps! I was a little sad, because I used to be able to do 80 lb dead lifts. And the 40 lb bar felt pretty heavy. The gym was really packed so I also used the but-kicking AMT cardio machine. It is 2x harder than the elliptical. Since it is so hard, I didn't do an intervals. But I did walk to the gym on Th so I got in a good amount of activity.

Boy was I feeling it on Friday! My lats were sore, and so were my legs. I didn't workout since I was a little sore. This weekend there was a 3 day food fest. I ended up going all 3 days over the weekend, so I was probably a little over on my calorie goals. Friday was OK, since I took transit there, and we walked around for the whole time (3 hours of walking around!) and then I got in an extra half mile uphill walk home from the bus.

On Saturday, I was really craving some coffee and avocado toast. I restrained myself from getting the scones, but it turned out the portions were mini, but I did have a late breakfast of salad, tomatoes, and the aforementioned avocado toast. I was still a little hungry so I grabbed a waffle. The good news? I walked over to the cafe and market for breakfast, and that was around 2.5 miles (The 1 mi home is uphill, going from gradual to steeper.) I figured I didn't need to fit in a formal workout since I took that walk for breakfast and we still had the fest. I did some house cleaning and headed back out to the food fest. We had all kinds of treats, and ended up walking around for about 4 hours. Then we went to dinner/drinks after. (I know it sounds crazy, but we all skipped lunch so it was meal time again after leading the food fest!).

On Sunday I was completely sore. My glutes were killing me (hamstrings too). It was like I did 400 squats! I decided it would be prudent not to workout since I was sore and I have tennis lessons starting today! A did a downtown tour and walked around the food fest again. This time I had way too much! But I was out on the walking at the tour and food fest for about 5 hours, so it probably evened out.

I am hoping for a good week of exercise and food. I want to get in 5 workouts this week. (Last week I did 3 workouts and walked about 7 miles as an addendum to my workouts.) Hopefully I can fit in 4 workouts, 1 tennis class and 4 miles of walking.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Maggie, maybe it's a bug you've caught? These things usually clear up before you get to know what started it in the first place. Take it easy on the working out and make sure you take a rest day once a week...I don't think you usually do? Sorry you've not been well, I hope you're feeling better very soon.:flowerforyou:

Amaretta, what a huge difference in your pics, well done for working so hard to achieve a fitter and more toned you!!

I very nearly got through my Insanity workout tonight without stopping for the first time, I was in the last minute doing push up jacks when my arms gave out, gaaahhh!!!:explode: Ah well, there's always tomorrow, I just got to keep digging deeper and pushing through!!:laugh:
  • armaretta
    Options
    I did a good solid hour of grocery shopping, and logged that as walking 2.0MPH. The BodyMedia seemed to agree with that assessment, so I'll go with it. Nothing to really brag about. I was planning on a Jillian, but I had a friend come over who needed to talk, so talk turned into them staying for dinner to chat more, so no time for exercise tonight.

Weigh-in/ Measure-up tomorrow! Question: How does everyone feel about changing the reporting day to a Fri., Sat., or Sun.? Seems like a lot of us are very busy during the week and makes reporting tough!
  • acarter33664
    acarter33664 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Sunday, I was still recooperating from the hard labor of Saturday, but today I got back into the swing of things. I walked three miles and then did Zumba burning 562 calories for today. Also, I'm thinking of adding a bit more variety into my workouts and getting the 30 day shred with Jillian. Any advice or prewarning I should know about? I've heard people say it's tough.My friends are even afraid to attempt it.

@armaretta: I'm fine with any day we all can agree on for reporting :)
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Hi All,
    Sunday, I was still recooperating from the hard labor of Saturday, but today I got back into the swing of things. I walked three miles and then did Zumba burning 562 calories for today. Also, I'm thinking of adding a bit more variety into my workouts and getting the 30 day shred with Jillian. Any advice or prewarning I should know about? I've heard people say it's tough.My friends are even afraid to attempt it.

@armaretta: I'm fine with any day we all can agree on for reporting :)

It is tough, but you do what you can and it does actually get easier; honestly! It gets you get good results, and the DVD is cheap, so why not? All you need is a mat and 2 sets of weights(one quite light, one heavier).

@armaretta - I don't mind which day either.

Feeling a bit better this morning, but we'll see how the day goes.

My weight has gone down again - just one pound over where I was 3 weeks ago. Looks like the water theory was right.

Measurements as follows:

waist - 28 (0.5 inch loss, but only back to where I was 3 weeks ago)
    belly button - 30 (same as last week)
    bb + 2" - 33 (1.0 inch loss from last week, but only a .5 loss from 3 weeks ago)
    hips - 35 (same)

Sorry, no time to work out calorie burn just now - need to go to work.
  • cookie241
    cookie241 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Not had a great week for exercise last week so calorie burn will be quite low in fact not even sure what it was will have to go through the exercise diary to find out. Have been trying to 30 day shred consecutively and managed pretty much the first ten days, and about 4 on level 2 than missed a day which turned into 3 then 4 missed days, was hoping to get back into it today but i've got a toddler that is really clingy and off his food and a 6 year old i have to fetch back from school due to sickness so i'm not hopeful of getting it done today, unless i can muster up the energy when they have all gone to bed, although by then unless i'm going out to netball its all too easy to just sit and chill out. Anyway i'm fine with whatever day to measure i haven't done it yet today but hopefully will get the chance to log back in later. Sometimes life just gets in the way, and although i have tried really hard to build exercise into said life sometimes it just doesn't happen. Really impressed with everyone else mind you and it does keep me motivated so thanks to everyone! Ooh and a mini nsv yesterday i took some size 12 (uk size) skinny flare jeans to try on, when i got them in the changing room they were actually a 10 so i thought well they won't fit but what the hell i will try them anyway, and i could actually get in them and do them up, reasonably comfortably too, although with a fairly unsightly belly overhang will post a pic to my profile they didn't look too bad i was amazed.
  • armaretta
    Options
    Weight: 130.4 (1.2lbs loss)
    Waist: 27(same)
    Belly button: 28.5 (same)
    Below Belly button: 29.5 (0.5 inch loss)
    Hips: 36.5 (same)

Total burn: 2765
    Avg/day: 395
    Avg/workout: 460.8

I had some decent loss on the scale. I was actually 130 even yesterday, but back up to 130.4 today. I always wait a couple days to record a loss like that to be sure it's not a scale error. The bodymedia deficits from the last week seem to be spot on with the amount I've lost! Encouraging results so far! According to MFP/numbers from the Polar, I should have lost half of that.

Congrats on the new jeans Cookie! It's so much fun so surprise yourself!

Maggie, Good job losing your teeny tiny gain from last week!
  • Malissa8126
    Options
    Hello I AM BACK! Finally baby isn't sick! Only took a WHOLE week which resulted in weight gain! NOT EVEN going to measure! LOL... Can't wait to get back into it... Looks like everyone is doing AWESOME
  • cookie241
    cookie241 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    starting measurements

Waist - 32
    Belly button - 40
    Hips - 32 ( should have been 42 not 32 i wish)

Measurements 13/09/11

Waist - 31
    Belly Button - 38
    Hips - 40

Measurements 20/09/11
    Waist - 31
    Belly Button - 37
    Hips - 39
    Weight loss - 3lb - not sure how that has happened i am actually eating more than usual!!

Measurements 27/09/11
    Waist - 31
    Belly Button - 37
    Hips - 39

weight - 158.2

No loss in inches or weight boo!!!

Must get back on track exercise wise
  • jadedone
    Options
    Waist: 38 (forgot to note the last measurement :()
    Belly Button: 42 (down .5 inches)
    Hips: 48.5 (down 1.5 inches)

Happy to see some progress. This week I need to get more exercise in!