WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    What a wonderful and productive weekend. Really enjoyed the time with my DED and family. Oldest grandson got shown gun safety in our backyard. He hit the target every time and bullseye three times. He was using both a 22 pistol and rifle. My Eldest shot too. Granddaughter wasn't interested. They then worked on hanging more outside lights while I went for massage. They went home around 3 pm. Tracey they will be back for Thanksgiving. They only live about an hour away. They needed to leave for a weekend as they have a reactive GSD and other animals that will need cared for while they are on a cruise. I swear the lady doing it has nerves of steel. The dog has been this way since a puppy. She is great with the immediate family but aggressive toward anyone else. My DED may have a tough desicion ahead of her. I told her to take the puppy back immediately, but.......8 years later what do I know. This dog is on 3 calming drugs and CBD oil! I have never met one like her. She would have made a great guard dog, but not an active family pet.

Surprised a friend for his 70th birthday last night. Several couples get together on Sunday evenings to catch up at our local ice cream place in the summer. We have decided to take turns at each other's homes providing socializing and desserts. It was wonderful. I host next Sunday. Of the three or four of us, one works from home, two are retired, and there is me. We send the menfolf off on their own after dessert, so we can talk freely. :)

I love the crafts! I try to buy homemade whenever possible. Love craft shows, but mainly occur here on Saturdays when I am working.

Healing thoughts!
    Thankful for you all!

❤️
    Kylia in windy, cold Ohio

Oh, we put up lights on our back porch this year for SIL to see . She appreciates them.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Joy - close games are so exciting. We weren't big football fans, but usually watched the Superbowl and I remember when it went into overtime one year and the Seattle Seahawks won. Worth tuning in for that one. :)

Lisa - I'm not surprised Corey is forging ahead with the roofing project. He's that type of guy. ;) Nice that the glass door will fit and with that big window, it will be a very nice addition. Can't wait to see it finished. Oh, and I'm like you not liking the feeling of the potting clay on my hands. Took a college class in it and that was it. Garden dirt I'm OK with but either wear gloves most of the time or have a bucket of water nearby I can constantly dip my hands into. And I'm getting the same way handling meat! What gives? :o

Kylia - what a great family photo. Thanks for sharing it with us. And what a nice productive weekend. The socializing at each other's homes is a wonderful idea. :p

Annie - good luck with the home health care nurse today. Hopefully she'll see what type of help you'll need and not load you up with more things to do. <3

I'm remembering the stages I went through dealing with DH which were very small compared to what you have with both parents in mentally and physically challenged conditions. I think you are handling this much better than I ever could have.

Tracey - very, very nice decorations. How are sales at the shows generally - for everyone? Are people still spending money on decorative items and gifts? There have been several holiday bazaars in my area in the past couple weeks with some very nice looking items, I'm wondering if the economy is causing shoppers to cut back a little. I've purposely stayed away because I don't need any more "stuff" and some of the things are too nice to walk away from. :p

Rosemarie - sounds like you are having a great time at the beach. Thanks for checking in. :)

Machka - I ran across another type of dementia this morning - digital dementia. Starting early with children on their phones and looking at screens so much of the time. Yikes!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35164464/

More thoughts on our increased BMI as we age... the rabbit hole:
    I have been wondering why nature designed our female bodies to be healthier with increased weight after menopause. Is it because it's better for our bone health? Is it because our fat is storing vitamins like A, D, E and K which used to be hard to come by when food wasn't so plentiful? Is it to have reserves in case of sickness as our immune systems aren't as strong anymore? Why did nature keep us around when we no longer could procreate - help take care of the grandkids while their parents were busy hunting and gathering? Does nature need our experience and wisdom? And so forth. We can ponder these when we are gathered together some day on back porches. ;) When I get a chance I'll poke around on the internet and see if someone has come up with suitable answers for some of these questions.

Make it a good week, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ Happy Anniversary! :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    LanetteWhat does it say about waist measurement? I know I carry too much around mine. My BMI is in a good spot 27.4 Waist not so much. As we age we do face more challenges if we get ill. The reserves might help us weather a severe illness. My thicker waist comes from genetics and inflammation from past stress, improper breathing I breather on one side much better than the other, and some poor eating choices. I am starting to feel better by drinking my nightly ginger tea.

At my upcoming physical my top priority is to discuss my breathing issue and what will help. On the side with poorer breathing I had more effects from sinus infections years ago so it could be from scar tissue, polyps, or a deviated septum.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options

BMI 21.8
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Feeling a little better this morning. I tested for the UTI and it is clear, so this is only the MCC that there is nothing really I can do for it. So going easy until it subsides some.

2023 New Ways November

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate my friends.
    Meditation: daily. 18/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%).
    96 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 6521,6471,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 (10,00%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 220/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change.)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)98/96 100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 5/23. (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 47/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 11/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—
    December met—

1. Make a list of new things you want to do this month. 1. Start Christmas shopping, 2. Work on my happiness, 3. Walk the mall at least once. 4. Read a new book
    2. Respond to a difficult situation in a different way. I will see what comes up, but the daily readings I do have helped a lot already! Did this!
    3. Get outside and observe the changes in nature around you..Supposed to be in the low 80’s (f) here today and the week to come so will have plenty of time to do this. Didn’t do this today, sick.
    4. Sign up to join a new course, activity, or online community. I’ll have to look around for this. Thinking about something to do with MCC. I joined 2 new groups on FB.
    5. Change your normal routine today and notice how you feel. Will do!
    6. Try out a new way of being physically active. I will have to think about this. Maybe do a YouTube video. Did not do this.
    7. Be creative. Cook, draw, write, paint, make or inspire. I will Zendoodle. I tried out my DH’s suggestion for mirror letters.
    8. Plan a new idea or activity you want to try out this year. I have a water color set. I will experiment with that.
    9. When you feel you can’t do something, add the word ‘yet’. I need to remember this.
    10. Be curious, learn about a new topic or an inspiring idea. I learned about Alonon and downloaded their app and read through it.
    11. Choose a different route and see what you notice on the way. I did this on my walk today.
    12. Find out something new about someone you care about. Research time!
    13. Do something playful outdoors - walk, run, explore, relax. Took a walk.
    14. Find a new way to help or support a cause you care about. Have to think about this.
    15. Build on new ideas by thinking “yes, and what if…” I will remember this!
    16. Look at life at someone else’s eyes and see their perspective. According to my therapist, this is called empathy. I do this but not enough. Will try to do better.
    17. Try a new way to practice self-care and be kind to yourself. Staying in bed and resting today.
    18. Connect with someone from a different generation. I do this most days at the park.
    19. Broaden your perspective: read a different paper, magazine, or site. Will do!
    20. Make a meal using a recipe or ingredient you haven’t used before. My DH does this all the time! He does all the cooking.
    21. Learn a new skill from a friend or share one of yours with them.
    22. Find a new way to tell someone you appreciate them.
    23. Set aside a time to pursue an activity your love.
    24. Share with a friend something useful you learned recently.
    25. Use one of your strengths in a new and creative way.
    26. Try out a different radio station or new TV show.
    27. Join a friend doing a hobby and find out why they love it.
    28. Discover your creative side. Design a friendly greeting card.
    29. Enjoy new music today. Play, sing, dance or listen.
    30. Look for new reasons to be hopeful, even in tough times.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

]
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited November 2023
    Options
    LanetteWhat does it say about waist measurement? I know I carry too much around mine. My BMI is in a good spot 27.4 Waist not so much. As we age we do face more challenges if we get ill. The reserves might help us weather a severe illness. My thicker waist comes from genetics and inflammation from past stress, improper breathing I breather on one side much better than the other, and some poor eating choices. I am starting to feel better by drinking my nightly ginger tea.

At my upcoming physical my top priority is to discuss my breathing issue and what will help. On the side with poorer breathing I had more effects from sinus infections years ago so it could be from scar tissue and/ or polyps.

Margaret - Good luck with the breathing issues!

I haven't run across waist measurement info. I too was wondering since many "experts" say anything over 35" is doomsville. Well, if our BMI's are preferable at 27-28, I'm guessing part of that is going to land in our waist. Is it visceral fat or sub Q fat? Even thin people can have dangerous visceral fat from what I've read. If I can pinch more than an inch but still am able to find clothing that fits and I can easily bend over and do tasks like tie my shoes, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

My physically healthy German mother and grandmothers had the typical "stout" build as they aged. Waist thickening and all that. I decided those genes I inherited must have been helpful to women through the past centuries and I'm tired of fighting it and worrying about it. :p

After years of being told to get our BMI's under 25, and keeping our waists small for the sake of our health, I'm so glad this information is being updated for us as we age. I once had an MD who was emphatic that I keep my weight under 140 (I was 5'9" at the time). At a BMI of 20.7, that was the lower end of the healthy category. She also lectured me that if I wasn't going to have kids, get my tubes tied immediately. I was only 25 and recently married. She herself was probably 50 lbs overweight. I quickly found a new MD.

Also, during that time I joined a gym and was told to lose weight because my waist was too big. The staff member there who took my measurements was using my belly button as the guideline for taking a waist measurement. My belly button was at the top of my hip bones, not under my ribs where a person's body usually indents and my clothing waistline was.

What a crazy time, lol.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where the temps have dipped to 31. But sunshine on the way.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Today is: Be absurd and name your PC! And if you can eat sugar, have some peanut butter fudge for me!

lma6pooj4md5.jpeg
    meilibi77aka.jpeg
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    MFP Weekly Check-in for November 20, 2023

Debbie in Napa Valley CA -up two pounds this week- sure hope part of that is water.

Rita in Roswell NM - After reading the article about BMI for older adults, I figured mine out and found that I am in the Good range at 29. With that in mind, I lost 2 pounds since last weigh in. I am happy about both! No more stressing about my weight, just give up sugar and wheat to keep my gut happy!

Kylia in Ohio - Good Monday of Thanksgiving week! My average was 128 this week. I had two days at 126.3, yay! Forgot to weigh and walk yesterday. Need to work on that, but lack of sleep, time with family, eating out, and massage took priority. I am thankful for all of you!

Lanette SW WA State- Weight is down 1/2 a pound, but I’m in the normal & healthy BMI range for my age which is most important to me. :) Working on keeping up with the 10 minutes of walking after eating and some resistance training. Challenge now is to keep up with the good nutrition and exercise. We can do this!
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: dry highway and no wind on the way to/from Gold Beach.
    Lisa :love: the Orion afghan. Kylia :love: the pics.
    Tracey what a great display! Con grats for taking off those four pounds!
    Ginny congratulations on Luna’s safe arrival.
    Lisa hope the Levi sighting helped distract from pain, and that you can get in to the docs soonest.
    Machka thanks for the dementia/hearing loss/social activity information.
    Anyone have any experience freezing fudge? KJ???
    11/19: Move: 2 sets PT w/dx2 and x&a, Jeopardy walking. Steps:8154
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=2 CI<CO net=155 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, church and council, Wt:131.2
    11/18: Move: 2 sets PT w/dx2 and x&a, Zumba and Jeopardy walking. Steps:
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=23 CI<CO net=399 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, council minutes and hymns. Wt:129.9

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    November: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, start meditating. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.

I freeze fudge each year. I will be making about 30 batches in two weeks. What ever I don't give out(or mom doesn't give out) will go in the freezer.

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Lisa - The basket is amazing! until you started with this adventure into polymer clay, I had never heard of it, so just did some googling and it sounds like at least some of it is not food grade...What are you going to do with the basket, as my first thought was a bread basket or a what a great thing to put a 9 x 13 pan it to fancy it up and to work as a trivet.

Kim
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Wow boy did I miss alot..
    Woke up at 3:35 am
    ,am exhausted and have the wake tonight for my friend and funeral tomorrow..so going to try and get a quick nap in.
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »

Rita
    - what a great article, nice visuals. Good to know another simple thing such as a squat is so beneficial! Thank you.

Lanette