What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Boxing class today. I was the only person who attended so I got a one to one session which was hard going but really fun. Definitely going to be aching tomorrow! Also did some yin yoga.
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yesterday:
    18 minutes jogging on the treadmill
    5x 8 reps leg extension
    3 x 10 reps barbell curl
    4x 6 reps leg press
    4x 10 rep tricep extensions

Today:
    Taking a break unless I get bored
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine day rolled around again, still 3 x 2k, 1 x 1k, plus 2' row in/out between the pieces and a 3' CD. Total of 8,286m including the row in/outs and cool down, average 18spm and 2:32.7 pace on the pieces. Still mostly moderate, but I let it drift up a little since tomorrow is a rest day. Ended up with 5:24 (12%) in Z4, 65% Z3 and remainder below. Overall workout about 45 minutes.
    Rob6428 wrote: »
    35 minutes free weights chest/triceps. 30 minutes on the rowing machine.

All I thought about while rowing …was looking forward to taking my shirt off in public again.

I can say in all honesty that I've never once thought that while rowing! :D (Note: I'm a 68 y/o woman. ;) ).

@Rob6428, it's always nice to see another machine rower around here, especially someone using it for more than a brief warm up. I have to admit, though, that this is a Winter thing for me: Boats in the non-icy season instead.
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Horse riding day today but decided to do some groundwork instead, so we long lined for an hour. Only covered 3.3k so not exactly flying around but that wasn't the aim.

Also did 20 minutes yin yoga.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My COVID meant I felt bad mid-week, with mild cold symptoms. By Saturday. I felt fine. I figured walking outside was low risk for others, so I did a 12 mile walk. On Sunday, I did 15 miles.

I tested negative today, so I'll go for a climb later.
  • laurachambers86
    edited December 2023
    Options
    30 minutes yin yoga followed by a home workout - mainly core but also some dumbbell work and resistance band exercises. 45 minutes total.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    drv123 wrote: »
    Just joined a gym a few weeks ago and having fun figuring it all out. Here was the day today, focus on my core but enjoy running so added the treadmill in.

13 min treadmill around 5mph
    Ab crunch 4x10
    Machine bicep curl 5x8
    Lat pulldown 4x9
    Cable upright row 4x8
    Machine bench press 4x6
    Cable row 6x5
    Cable rope tricep extensions. 3x12
    Another 13 minute jog on the treadmill to get sweaty before going to work

Any feedback is appreciated, is this too much? Reading it now it seems like it might be.

Is it too much, no. But I would change the order somewhat, put the bigger, heavier lifts early (row, bench press) and move the isolation moves later (crunch, curl).
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Starting this week off with the rowing machine, same format as I've been doing, 3 x 2k, 1 x 1k, plus 2' row in/out between the pieces and a 3' CD. Total of 8,288m including the row in/outs and cool down, average 17spm and 2:33.1 pace on the pieces. Overwhelmingly Z3 again, though I did hit the exact top boundary of it in there someplace. :D

This consistent moderate steady state work may sound boring, but I've got plenty to think about. It's an opportunity to work on basic stroke cycle technique mechanics, without the Summer added complexity of bladework, synchronization with fellow rowers, and balance. That has lots of sub-parts to pick apart and focus on. I love the force curve display, because it will show flaws in power application across each stroke, among other good stuff.

Tonight (and often recently) I was mostly focusing on keeping forward body angle through most of the leg drive, with extended arms/shoulders but connected shoulders/back.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Leg Press Calf Extend 5x15
    Cable Crunch 3x15, 12, 10
  • drmwc
    Options
    @mtaratoot Do you have a silicon neck seal? I've got one; being able to replace it myself is dead handy.

Climbing was fun yesterday. We practiced dynos; I was moving quite well

Work offered discounter gym memberships, so I joined one with the vague plan of swimming before work. Today was the first day of the plan; I went 750 metres fairly slowly; I'm out of practice.
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Lower body resistance band workout this morning followed by a quick 10 minutes of yin yoga.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    @drmwc

I know that DUI (Diving Unlimited International, not driving under the influence) makes Zip-Seals. They are user-replaceable neck and wrist seals, and they come in latex or silicon. Pro-tip: leave those spare seals in a sealed bag in the freezer if you have latex. They won't degrade.

I have a jig that I could use to install new seals if I want to. I just let my local dive shop do it for me.

I probably won't switch to silocon seals. I know they are more comfortable and don't degrade from ozone, but they tear and puncture more easily than latex. I would consider going to a neoprene neck seal for the extra warmth and longer life, but that would probably be a big job since my suit was originally built with latex. I have a second drysuit, but all the seals on it are shot, too. When cash flow allows, I'll have those replaced. It's a good suit even though it's a shoulder zip. I also need to get seals replaced on my kayaking drysuit. I recently bought a "surplus" military drysuit for rafting and canoeing. It was brand new but maybe two decades old. The seals were shot, so I replaced them. It's a very nice suit - GoreTex with extra durable fabric, knee pads, suspenders, and six external pockets. It also needed some repair on the zipper; I hope that holds. That repair is not guaranteed because it's so weird. Worst case is I have to replace the zippers.

It seems like latex seals last me about two years or so before they need to be swapped out. My dive shop also does a pressure test and repairs any leaks they find. Fortunately, my Bare suit has no leaks. When I send my kayaking suit off, I send it to the manufacturer. They also will do GoreTex repairs. Even though they made the military suit I bought, they won't work on it because it was built for the government. I can have my dive shop do most of the work, but I sent it off to a "local" rafting and raft equipment repair shop for the most recent work. They are good people and did good work.
  • drmwc
    Options
    My drysuit is an O'Three, which is a UK company. They are based in Portland, Dorset; where I do loads of diving; so it is convenient for repairs. I have a silicon neck seal, but latex wrist seals. I also went for dry gloves, so if the wrist seals leak it could take me a while to spot. (The gloves seal with o-rings over the latex seals, so if that holds no water reaches the latex seal).

I went climbing today. I was quite powerful, getting various climbs needing brute force and ignorance (my speciality). I wasn't particularly good at the balance-y slab stuff.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    DUI makes Zip-Seal dry gloves. It gives divers an option to use gaskets or dry gloves and swap out depending on conditions. I've never used dry gloves. I bet I'd get spoiled. One of our dive team members had some rings installed on his suit so he could use gloves. His dexterity was limited even more than with my 5mm neoprene gloves.

I might sneak back out and do an extra shift or two just for fun....