Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Good afternoon, ladies.

Lanette, those chickens are so lucky!

Barbie, sorry to hear about Bessie's health issues.

Heather, love the daffodils.

Machka, your sitting/relaxing area is beautiful.

Annie, thinking of you and your ongoing struggles.

Well, some of you are probably tired of hearing about Alberta's weather woes, but I have to tell you it was minus 40 C here this morning. The Edmonton International Airport showed -57 C with the windchill. My nephew and his family are returning today from their 6 week vacation to the Philippines (visiting extended family). Are they ever going to be shocked coming from +33 to-50's! They are in the air to Vancouver right now and will be catching a connection to Edmonton, arriving at about midnight. My BIL is picking them up and taking some warm coats/boots with him.

I took Lucy out 3 times this morning for quick trips. She finally pooped quickly on the 3rd trip out. I ordered a package of dog pee pads from amazon yesterday and they should be here by the end of next week just in time for our more balmy weather. I can't remember who suggested this but thank you! I will be better prepared when we get the next onslaught. Poor Lucy is dealing with a dog mom who has never dealt with a small dog before. I put some newspaper down in a couple of areas inside as an option for Lucy. So far only the cats have shown an interest in sitting on the paper (silly animals).

I think the worst thing about this weather is that it came on so suddenly. It isn't unusual to get temperatures in this range, but we usually have a gradual build up before plunging into the deep freeze. We still have very little snow cover and I have heard that some people are trying to deal with frozen water lines and septic pump out issues in our area. I know we will be ok as our lines are down very deep so thankful about that.

Enjoy the rest of the day, ladies.

Joy

Can a dog be trained to use a litter box??

• Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: one good arm ;)
    Chicken Kim in N. Calif we are birds of a feather. Neither do I do scary movies. Have nightmares enough without ‘em.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    January: Move more: dailyish PT, play with dogs, more steps than yesterday.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins. more AF days than not.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, dogs, readings, Hebrew, meditation.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections

Add me to those who hate scary movies- always have.
    In high school, as a "reward" for being good/no cutting classes, ect, we got to sit in the gym and watch a movie- they picked "Tales of the Crypt". That was our reward. I freaked out so bad during it, my cousin had to walk me out of the gym. I was shaking so bad. I had nightmares for months. Still can't stand to even see the cover of that dvd. Dh thinks it is funny. He is all about scary/gory movies and shows. One of his favorites is Walking Dead. I will not be in the same room as him if he is watching it. If he is watching it in his room, I will close his door and turn up the tv in the bedroom(if I am in there) to drowned out the sounds from that. I don't want to see or hear any of it. He has it on loud so need to have mine louder, which I don't like, just do block it.

Noise cancelling headphones!!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- pushed Chispa in buggy- 2hrs 4min 45sec, 63elev, 2.87ap, 90ahr, 160mhr, 6.15mi= 657c
    Strava app = 753c
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Good afternoon, ladies.

Lanette, those chickens are so lucky!

Barbie, sorry to hear about Bessie's health issues.

Heather, love the daffodils.

Machka, your sitting/relaxing area is beautiful.

Annie, thinking of you and your ongoing struggles.

Well, some of you are probably tired of hearing about Alberta's weather woes, but I have to tell you it was minus 40 C here this morning. The Edmonton International Airport showed -57 C with the windchill. My nephew and his family are returning today from their 6 week vacation to the Philippines (visiting extended family). Are they ever going to be shocked coming from +33 to-50's! They are in the air to Vancouver right now and will be catching a connection to Edmonton, arriving at about midnight. My BIL is picking them up and taking some warm coats/boots with him.

I took Lucy out 3 times this morning for quick trips. She finally pooped quickly on the 3rd trip out. I ordered a package of dog pee pads from amazon yesterday and they should be here by the end of next week just in time for our more balmy weather. I can't remember who suggested this but thank you! I will be better prepared when we get the next onslaught. Poor Lucy is dealing with a dog mom who has never dealt with a small dog before. I put some newspaper down in a couple of areas inside as an option for Lucy. So far only the cats have shown an interest in sitting on the paper (silly animals).

I think the worst thing about this weather is that it came on so suddenly. It isn't unusual to get temperatures in this range, but we usually have a gradual build up before plunging into the deep freeze. We still have very little snow cover and I have heard that some people are trying to deal with frozen water lines and septic pump out issues in our area. I know we will be ok as our lines are down very deep so thankful about that.

Enjoy the rest of the day, ladies.

Joy

Can a dog be trained to use a litter box??

Yup
  • Machka9
    edited January 13
    Options
    Regarding gyms ... they're expensive here!! We decided that it was cheaper to buy a good-quality piece of gym equipment each year rather than pay for gym memberships for the two of us.

Regarding rewards ... generally speaking, rather than spending money on a food reward, over the years, I've preferred to spend the money on something that lasts longer like a piece of clothing, a book, a trip somewhere, etc. I have also celebrated accomplishments by doing things like cycling a long distance or hiking up a mountain. It gets the endorphins going!!

Regarding using salt water ... our bodies produce salt water in sweat, tears, urine, mucus, etc. So using saltwater in things like eyedrops, nasal washes, and mouth rinses isn't a bad idea. I've used salt water to gargle with when I've got a sore throat. When I had my deviated septum corrected, I used salt water as a nasal rinse (think neti pot)

Regarding tracking exercise and challenges ... I use Strava and participate in their challenges! :) I always join the walking one and sometimes some of the others. When cycling and running inside, I use Zwift (which connects to Strava) and participate in some of their in-event challenges like the sprints and hill-climbs.

(((Margaret and Annie)))))

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Margaret Hugs
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Margaret - many hugs.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    margaret and annie - thinking of you....
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I really hope they get things fixed at your home.

Annie - what a relief for you that your cousin will do the eulogy and that your sister is home. When is the service?
    That must have been painful for your sister.

Heather - I think we all need to live in neighbourhoods like yours. Although today I would not be out and about.
    Beautiful painting. Funny, I find watercolour difficult and only paint (when I do) with acrylics. I should go buy a canvas for these cold days. Hopefully the new shop has some friendly people for you to chat with.

Lisa - I enjoy this app, it sure can be funny.
    We had sideways snow on Sunday.

Vicki - I hope they figure out the heart issues soon.
    I am thinking of taking my pictures out of boxes and putting them back in albums. I need to organize them by years again. I also need to print a lot more.

Barbie - sometimes technology just messes with us. I’m glad you’re enjoying the WTForecast app.
    That’s another thing I don’t like about gyms is the drive.

Lanette - I watched a talk show today that talked about retirement and how people are living longer when they don’t retire or at least have a passion or focus.
    It’s called The Social it’s a Canadian show, but you might find the segment on YouTube.
    Also, have you heard the song that that meme is from? It’s Toby Keith, called Don’t let the old man in. Wonderful song, one of my new favourites. Toby wrote it a few years ago, Willie Nelson recorded it but it didn’t do well. This Fall on the CMA awards Toby sang it. It was his first performance after his cancer battle and the song was #1 on iTunes the next day.

Tina - I’m with you and have decided never to join another gym ever. I do want to start swimming again though, be we can do just drop ins for 7.00 so I don’t need to pay membership fee or anything.
    Beautiful dress.

Carol - I don’t understand why a memory care facility couldn’t take someone on oxygen. Is it not a nursing home type setting?

Margaret- Hugs

Lanette - I think the girls are very lucky to have you.
    I would make you one of those cups but it would probably cost an arm, a leg and my eldest for the shipping. It cost me $17 to mail that mug to NB. It’s awful.

Joy - I live about 5 minutes from EIA. It has been very hard keeping the house warm. We are running water frequently to keep the pipes from freezing. We live in a mobile home. You’re right the suddenness of this has been brutal. Last weekend I was still wearing sandals and my Fall jacket.
    I’m happy Lucy did her business outside for you.

Debbie - DH and I have shows that we watch on separate rooms too.

Kay - hopefully you get the full year in for the garage door.

I finished a session today, final grade 90.06% it was a little lower because I found this one a bit difficult to pay attention to and study. It was a lot of theorist studies. I like the ideas and the subject, but I think it would get better if we were able to debate and talk more than just listen to a lecture.

My daughter’s baby fund is at $4006 in 4 days. I told her friend that started it that it may take a few weeks, it is just after Christmas and I think Monday is Blue Monday.
    I am probably annoying my FB friends and family by sharing it so often.

I have to go to the store tomorrow if I want to or not, and I truly don’t want to. I didn’t have the money until yesterday to get a good grocery haul in and we are running low.

I sat almost all day. I am hoping to give my foot a break. I’ll have to walk tomorrow to get groceries but I plan on coming to sit again once I get home.

Tracey in Edmonton

Yes me too. But I also am not using the dishwasher anymore so its not gonna get any wetter, so in my opinion, they can wait until end of March because I do not want a torn up kitchen while the kids are here. I hope they can wrk with me on this and not make a fuss.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Dear Margaret. Sending hugs for this time.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Fostering a Habit of Making: Why it’s Important and How to Get Started
    https://medium.com/@headinb/fostering-a-habit-of-making-why-its-important-and-how-to-get-started-f9942895fa30

Creative activity is linked to happiness: Experts link creativity to overall wellbeing and life satisfaction. When you engage in a creative activity you’re able to think more broadly and focus on the moment. Creative people also seek novelty which our brains love.

And many more reasons! :)

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Saturday --

More sunshine and warmth.
    Spent some time weeding ... just sitting on the grass and weeding. Nothing particularly energetic.
    Kitchen is more or less done-ish. If it were just me, it would be even more done, but there are two of us here and he actually uses the kitchen more than I do.

But we got rid of quite a bit of badly outdated stuff and what we have is in order, for now.

Several years ago, I had a great idea about doing something with all the stuff on the fridge. I bought some things with that great idea in mind. Then I got distracted, and just a few months later, I completely forgot what that great idea was. I still can't remember. But that's one thing I do want to fix. It's really cluttered. Evidently I'll have to come up with a new great idea.

Machka in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options

I have to go to the store tomorrow if I want to or not, and I truly don’t want to. I didn’t have the money until yesterday to get a good grocery haul in and we are running low.

I sat almost all day. I am hoping to give my foot a break. I’ll have to walk tomorrow to get groceries but I plan on coming to sit again once I get home.

Tracey in Edmonton

Can you use one of the electric scooters at the grocery store? I did that the last couple of times I was at the grocery store in October just before I had my knees replaced. It was fantastic!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Annie - Thinking of you today, dear heart. Keep us in your pocket.

Margaret - Woke up thinking of you. I am so glad you have DrewB for comfort.

Tracey - I've got a Walmart delivery coming in about two hours with all the usual suspects grocery-wise, and a list made out to send with Corey into town with the fresh items and a few things to shop for at Sam's Club. I just cannot do Sam's Club anymore, and there are a few things that are well worth buying there. He won't let me schedule a pickup for him, because he wants to actually shop, and since I hate shopping with him, I just hand him a list. I'm too polite, and he gets impatient when I let other people go in front of me. I'm happy to let him elbow through the crowds... makes us both happier when I don't go! #ThingsYouLearnAsYouGrowOldTogether.

Sue - When things were at their worst, I tried shopping with Corey while I was riding in one of the motorized scooter chairs. Drove him absolutely bananas,🤪 as I was either in front of him or behind him to keep from jamming up the aisles side-by-side. That's when I first realized how deaf he's become, and this was years ago. He can't hear me if he can't see my mouth and read my lips. 🫦By the time I was ready to go shopping by myself, didn't need the chair scooter anymore!

Heather - I liked the daffodils... interested to see the finished acrylic. Like Tracey, I find water color much, much harder.

Machka - Search for "organizing my refrigerator" and I bet you'll find one that shows your great idea from a while back... I use baskets in my fridge, too. Keeps a number of things like cheeses and bread corralled. You have to have bread in the fridge here, or it gets moldy in just a few days.

More in a minute.
    Love,
    Lisa in AR