WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: that I tasted the Muenster before giving it to the dogs. Looked good, smelled ok, but YUCK! Tasted moldy. :sick:
    Lanette alas there is no fiber in my tea. Coffee wouldn’t be health food when I got done doctoring it (sugar, cream, flavorings etc). Good girls indeed, wonder if I could borrow neighbor’s hens to slug sweep the garden? Don’t want to keep chickens of our own, we consider them cougar and coyote attractants. :{
    Kylia prayed for your son’s FIL’s peaceful transition.
    Annie ((hugs)) Did your doctor give you your labs or anything written down about your kidneys? Yay you for the ten on the bike!
    Margaret ((hugs)) one foot in front of the other ((hugs))
    Beth I love that meme! Brava on the treadmill!
    Heather so important to schedule those times ;)
    @KetoneKaren, count me in with Rori and Lanette. Miss you and hope all’s well with you and yours.
    Belated welcome @Dia_R ! You can do this!
    Vicki Prayer said for favorable CT scan. ((hugs))
    Rita “normal ultrasound. . . simply by doing diet” so VERY well done! Thanks for the “DO NOT TAKE” meme and to Flea for the ibuprofen caution. Been taking ibuprofen for the last month for my shoulder. Going back to plain ol’ aspirn.
    Kim ((hugs))
    Allie love your “beyond blessed” positive attitude.
    Lisa, hand falling asleep with conventional mouse? Scary! Thanks for yours to @Dia_R so clear! You and Corey are inspiring. We have no will, no POAs nothing. Joe doesn’t want to talk about it and to be honest neither do I. Any hints? Anyone???
    Machka likewise thanks for yours to @Dia_R. Back to walking and stairs? Brava! Glad you’re feeling better. Insightful thoughts on thinking. . .
    Tina and Barbie, your “less” and “enough” are inspiring, but I’m sticking with ”move more” for now. Maybe later I’ll shift it to be “Move better” ;)
    Rebecca Eeeee! I am so happy for you!!!
    Debbie we had a land line in San Leandro that acted up like your mom’s whenever it rained. Never could fix, finally just moved away ;)
    Teri look forward to pic of your crocheted gilet.
    Welcome @laurieumphrey4953 Laurie from TX!
    Michele maybe it’s time for a massage for your tight calf? Safe travels!
    Tracey have you had any luck in finding a new MD?
    Bald eagles: Used to see them every winter as they nested along the Boise river. When the river froze upstream and they couldn't fish, there were reports of them siezing small pets from back yards. Yikes!
    2/7: Move mins- wii:11 PT:0 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:0 Jeopardy walking:16 line cance class: 80 Steps: 6636
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=6 CI<CO net=733 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, started laundry, cooked and portioned out Grandma Broadbent’s, Post Office, recycling. Wt:132.1
    Joe’s new-to-him Jeep is squeaking and when it squeaks the whole engine vibrates. He just got it back from having the water pump/thermostat/coolant replaced so they’ve opened an appointment for 08:00 tomorrow. He’s considering asking them to set up a cot for him in the shop ;). I’ll follow him and bring him home. An opportunity for me to develop backup habits for when my morning routine is disrupted. Usually any disruption trumps balance games and pt exercises. . . :naughty:
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    February: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    We have no will, no POAs nothing. Joe doesn’t want to talk about it and to be honest neither do I. Any hints? Anyone???

Barbara

What spurred me on to get our wills done when my husband had recovered a bit from his accident was the realisation that if he hadn't survived, there was the possibility that his first wife and his kids could lay claim to whatever the courts deemed was his. That scenario might not have happened but that there was even a small chance was enough to get us into a lawyer!!

Ours is very simple. My stuff goes to him. His stuff comes to me.

It's not scary ... it's just a reassurance that if something happens to one of us, the other can continue living as we have been.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    @Machka9
    I don’t need to schedule in time to think. 😂 It seems to happen naturally. I’m frequently ruminating on what I have learnt, and planning what I want to achieve. And I have developed the knack of mostly being able to switch off from a project so that it doesn’t impact my sleep.

This afternoon I’m doing the demo at flower arranging so spending sone of the morning doing prep

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

Of course it happens naturally ... as long as we're alive, we can never stop thinking. :)

But I'm referring to undistracted thinking time. :) Thinking time where that's all we do or the main thing we do. When I'm cycling, I'm not distracted by computers, TV, music, books, people asking me to do things or wanting to converse with me, etc. etc. etc.

One thing I like about working from home is that I can sit in my chair, close my eyes, and thinking through the problem I am trying to solve. At work, I don't think I could close my eyes!

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    Barbara- Yes the scheduling has been a success on many levels. <3 Not the least being less stress over our morning cup of tea. It's had the same effect as getting a cleaner. :p Less expectation, less uncertainty, less guesswork. Peace.
    Today we have a painting session planned. I'm going to try to get my unsuccessful watercolour of Edie onto a small canvas with acrylics. I'm aiming at a Matisse homage. :p>:) I'm nervous, but I'm going to have a go.

Expecting a Waitrose delivery any minute.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • anmlmzdiet
    anmlmzdiet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    @kevrit
    Thanks for posting your Menudo Soup. I've never made that. Below is my Potato Soup which I had today. Below that is yesterday's Minestrone Soup. The kids are having a blast. They love my soups and right now, they are putting in their two cents for the next day's soup.

wil95bmhhy10.png
    gdr6oys5mb21.png

@dlfk202000
    End of the rain for you means 1-2 more days for me, lol. I'm enjoying it, though. A walk in the wetlands might be fun after the rains dry out a bit. I might just do that, but it's raining right now.

@Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    To all of you ...
    Do you allow yourself or even better, schedule in, time to think?
    Time to reflect on what you have learned recently. Time to think and plan.

I would probably fall asleep and have to call that a nap. Now I can call it moodling. Thanks @cityjaneLondon , Bah ha ha ha :D Sleep strikes me at strange times, since I have insomnia.

@pipcd34
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    k8h0ldhm6mnx.jpeg
    I love all the colorful photos of you with your bike. I think you are doing a great thing, participating in the runs so devotedly. I wish I could do something like that. I don't run because of my joints, and I can't ride a bike. Oh, I learned, but every time I try to get on one, I seem too awkward, and I'm scared to fall. I have no balance whatsoever. Shoot I can barely walk without falling.

Well, I kicked my Dr. Pepper habit somewhat completely. However, I can't seem to get off the sugar completely. I've been drinking soda water with a bit of juice as my replacement. I need to figure out how to get rid of that too. I am sleeping a little better, so the caffeine was bumping me up at night, but here I am. Still up in the middle of the night.

• Machka9
    Options
    Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! :p
    We live in a 'light touch' parking zone, where there is no parking between 10-11 am and 7-8 pm. This was designed to prevent commuters, leisure and day tripper tourists parking here all day. Recently the council was threatening and blackmailing us by saying we either went to a full 8 am -8pm scheme, like central Hove, or our parking permit would be much more expensive. Fortunately, they decided at the last minute to consult.
    We were horrified. It would make life sooooo much more difficult for visitors etc, even though we are lucky enough to have a driveway. Also trades people. We have visitor tickets, which we have paid for, but they are a nuisance for a short visit.
    John filled in the online form. Apparently, so did hoards of others :D and the council have just decided to scrap the new plan, and also only charge a reduced increase in the fee. Victory! The people have spoken! :p

Machka - As a writer and creative person, I have always had to allow myself masses of time for , what I call, 'moodling'. I need it and have always made sure I got it. Those times in my life when I didn't have it were very, very unhappy. I have also had to fight misunderstanding, as to why I needed lots of space and could not schedule lots of things. Most people do not understand the creative process and how self-protective you have to be. My writing came first and I protected the space it needed.
    I also am a great fan of 'back of the head work' . The sorting out in the brain that takes place without you consciously thinking about it. Space, calm, quiet, sleep. Fun. Doing nothing important. Then it's amazing what the brain comes up with.
    I also think if someone is anxious, or ruminating, about a problem, then writing it down is extremely helpful. Ins and outs, worst case, best case etc. Some problems need focus, and some need space. Being able to live with uncertainty, or a burgeoning project, is a skill we can develop. I prefer not to shape things too precisely until the last moment, because I want to allow for the flowering of another nuance.
    On a different project it might be essential to map out steps early.
    For me, my moodling times are the most precious. I spend most of my day at it, and include a nap in that essential state of being.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

As a perpetual student and in the positions I've held, instructors and employers have liked quick results which have not left a lot of time for thinking about what I'm doing ... or about what would be the best, the most efficient, the most effective, the most advantageous way to do it. I like doing things well, but in the interests of time and other pressures, they're rarely perfect. And I'm often thinking that if I just had an extra week or month, I could take the time to really think the solution through ... but it's rare I'm given time like that.

However, I found it interesting, in the webinar today, that leaders in our organisation are starting to schedule short periods of time for thinking things through, rather than just always reacting to whatever comes up. Maybe culture is changing. Maybe fast isn't necessarily best.

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    Walked 2.5 km at lunch plus the walking portion of my commute.

Climbed 9 flights of 20 stairs, up & down etc.

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Re: Coffee - Found something the other day that said add a tiny bit of salt to the coffee grounds to take away the bitterness. We use a Keurig, so no coffee grounds… but I’ve found if I just put a few grains of kosher salt in a 12-oz cup of coffee, I can cut the amount of creamer and sweetener in half. Just throwing that out there.

Rach in Birmingham, UK, Laurie in Texas, Dia, everyone who’s new, welcome! I’m always pleased to see folks starting in February because it means they understand not to wait. Don’t wait until Monday, January, next week, next year, whatever, to start changing the way you eat or the exercise you do. Start now. Today. This minute. If you wander off the path, start again! Now. Not tomorrow.

Proud of y’all, glad you’re here. Chime right in on any conversation. They move fast, but no worries – if you add the person’s name in front of your comment to them, they’ll get it, or the quote function I explained a page or so ago :). Feel free to ask questions, ask for support, or add your own answers or support. We do tend to avoid religion and politics.

And, if you bookmark this link, it will drop you right back into the discussion where you were last: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10908717/women-ages-50-for-february-2024#latest You can also use the MyFitnessPal bookmark at the top of the page, which might be easier if you're on a phone.

Machka – Like Heather, I’ve always needed that time as well, so whether I worked in a cubicle or an office, I had a sign I would put up that said “Genius burning,” The reference is from Little Women, which most people didn’t get, but it did give me that time I needed to think and absorb as necessary, sometimes with my eyes closed! Now it would say “DND,” which most people would recognize from their phones as “Do Not Disturb,” and which I do use a lot on my phone, incidentally.

Heather - I'm working on my acrylic refrigerator mural, and I get the fear... For me, it's working best to literally add one color at a time and then walk away. Otherwise, I start getting too panicky--as soon as the thoughts start crossing my mind of what it's going to take to either scrub it off or cover it up, I walk away and wash the paintbrushes. That makes it quite slow, but it's good for my slightly pathological need to finish things before I stop working on them, as well as the fact that I am seldom happy with anything I paint. We are all works in progress...

More later, perhaps, no real plans for anything today.

Hope it is or was a lovely Thursday for everyone...
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Machka I spend too much time sitting around waiting for the clock to move. Plenty of thinking time. It suits me that way, although I have to be careful not to get stuck in a criticism rut. For example, sometimes I focus on why my father annoys me, which is not a helpful question.

Great job getting back on the stairs! Marvelous!

Barbara I don't really remember what my doctor said about my kidneys. I'm sure there were test results, but nothing I remember.

Have a great day my friends!

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Just ran across this on NPR - for anyone that it crosses their mind to write, paint, or any other creative thing, but feels they're not creative, or won't do it well, here's a link on how to add it into your life. For those who are new, one thing I think we've all found useful is to address the whole person when you're trying to be healthy - mind, body and spirit are all intertwined. Losing weight is not an isolated task or goal, it's part of an overall.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
    anmlmzdiet wrote: »
    @kevrit
    Thanks for posting your Menudo Soup. I've never made that. Below is my Potato Soup which I had today. Below that is yesterday's Minestrone Soup. The kids are having a blast. They love my soups and right now, they are putting in their two cents for the next day's soup.

wil95bmhhy10.png
    gdr6oys5mb21.png

@dlfk202000
    End of the rain for you means 1-2 more days for me, lol. I'm enjoying it, though. A walk in the wetlands might be fun after the rains dry out a bit. I might just do that, but it's raining right now.

@Machka9
    To all of you ...

I would probably fall asleep and have to call that a nap. Now I can call it moodling. Thanks @cityjaneLondon , Bah ha ha ha :D Sleep strikes me at strange times, since I have insomnia.

@pipcd34
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    k8h0ldhm6mnx.jpeg
    I love all the colorful photos of you with your bike. I think you are doing a great thing, participating in the runs so devotedly. I wish I could do something like that. I don't run because of my joints, and I can't ride a bike. Oh, I learned, but every time I try to get on one, I seem too awkward, and I'm scared to fall. I have no balance whatsoever. Shoot I can barely walk without falling.

Well, I kicked my Dr. Pepper habit somewhat completely. However, I can't seem to get off the sugar completely. I've been drinking soda water with a bit of juice as my replacement. I need to figure out how to get rid of that too. I am sleeping a little better, so the caffeine was bumping me up at night, but here I am. Still up in the middle of the night.

You ought to look into a tricycle, (3wheels), that will help with fear of loss of balance. We’ve finally cut down to one 1/2 marathon a year (13.1 miles). Other than running on a treadmill at the gym, we retired from doing full marathons and the occasional 5k runs that we were doing in Washington when we lived there. There is a run every weekend if you looked for one, the registration for them can end up breaking you. 30-45 bucks a pop! We can do the 5k on a treadmill (3.1 miles) or outside on our own for free.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,839 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    To all of you ...

Machka in Oz

I try to do this but call it meditating. I don’t schedule it, because every time I do, someone or something interrupts me. I need to leave my RV and head over to one of the trails, find a quiet place away from where everyone walks and just think there, or listen to a guided meditation. That is where I reflect on things. I would schedule if I knew it would be respected as my time.

(Edit for Machka’s second post on this). Machka I know how you like to keep busy, how about trying small project plans for each thing you need to consider? Make small flow charts or something like “Thought Bubbles” with the topic in it, then link to it, or leave it for the next day? There are Apps for this. I sometimes use “MindNode”. I’m not sure it is still free, but you can try it to get the idea. I did one for my personality a while ago, see in spoiler.
    3u4w2820s0bz.png

RVRita