What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    *snort* You just reminded me of going through military basic training, where the drill sergeant would wake us up at an ungodly hour and proclaim we had three minutes to "*beep*, shower and shave" before getting into marching formation outside to begin the day.

I try to get that first thing done in the morning....

I had fun telling friends yesterday I did the "Four-S" workout. When I described it, one said, "Steam, shower and sauna - that's the workout for me." I also really enjoyed my swim, and I actually enjoyed PART of my strength workout.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 3x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

I'm debating swapping the incline bench press for incline DB press, something about the incline bench hasn't felt right on my shoulder the last couple sessions, not sure if it's the bar or the angle being steeper than I'd prefer.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Two walks, one 15 min and one 30 min, morning and afternoon. The outside temp was 70 degrees.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Five mile hike up a big hill with great views with a friend who retired one week ago. I think retirement will be good for him. He's already improving outwardly, and we could look back over 30 years and remember the good, the bad, and the very very ugly.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Climbing, 2 hours. Gravity was back to normal; it was really good fun. It is always a relief to mind that really bad form was just transitory.

This gym (Yellow Spider, previously called Craggy Island) is easily the most friendly of the London gyms. Maybe it's because it is more local, so the same people go regularly.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x15 <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10

Last week's light-squat day was just what the doctor ordered, as today I felt like a beast and got after it all day long. But even that felt like it paled in comparison to a dude I met at the gym, knocking out a 50-rep set of cable crunches at age 75!!!
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    I've been getting bored with 20-25 min of running followed by 30ish minutes of throwing weights around so today it was 40 min of sprinting fairly quickly for 30 seconds followed by walking for a minute and repeat.

Then some squats, lateral raises, machine flys and tricep extensions.

Oh also I managed to do my first pull up. Decided to give it a go as I walked past the pull up bar.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I finally got an outdoor run in. I was a little shocked, but not too much, when I looked back to see how long it had been since I had run just for its own sake outside. I did a relatively slow 5K - 12:50 per mile average pace. I'll get some speed back eventually if I keep it up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a break. Or do we call that deloading? Periodizing? (I'm joking.)

I've been having some weird physical symptoms, multiple rounds of Xrays, CTs, blood tests, and more (with no useful insights from any of it), and reached a point of feeling pretty exhausted despite sleeping lots, so I decided to take a few days off. Eventually, not being active always makes me feel crummy in its own way, so it's time to try easing back into a normal schedule.

Since last report, I took a short walk in a park with a friend on Tuesday, otherwise no exercise until today, Saturday.

Like I said, easing back in. Decided to do a 2 x 2k machine row, but hit it a little harder than I have been. I guess I'd call it moderate plus? The 2k pieces were 9:51.0 and 9:30.3, short of max effort but 35% Z4 peaking at 159bpm (around 88% estimated HRmax). That pace is silly-slow in the abstract, but not all that bad for a li'l ol' lady sub race pace, I think.

• drv123
    drv123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The sprints and squats yesterday left my legs feeling nice and stiff so today was just a 15 min jog followed by tricep dips, cable rows, curls and a bit of incline bench press.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    After sitting in their original box for longer than I will admit publicly, I got out those road running shoes I bought and tried them out.

I guess pavement is faster, because I drastically increased my pace from yesterday on trails for about the same distance. It could have been a rest day; it wasn't. Tomorrow the legs will get a rest, so maybe it will just be an upper body day at the gym. That will be interesting because I usually do a whole-body workout at the gym. I wonder if I'll have a different focus by just doing torso and arms. Maybe a swim will be in order if the pool's not too crowded.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    4.5 miles all zone 2 🏃🏾 today. Slow steady and a good way to end the week.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Sunday's usually rest day, but since I took much of the preceding week off, I continued the "ease back into it" (trying to shake off some cumulative fatigue) with a shorter stationary bike ride (10k + 3') at a slower pace, very easy rather than moderately easy ;) . So, average of 98W over the 10k/CD, almost entirely Z2, just a few seconds a little over the line into Z3. It'll have to do for today.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    Machine Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
    Cable Woodchoppers 3x10 (High, Cross, Low)
  • nossmf
    Options
    drv123 wrote: »
    Oh also I managed to do my first pull up. Decided to give it a go as I walked past the pull up bar.

I love how you just threw that in at the end, like it's no big deal. But nailing that FIRST pullup, and on a whim? I foresee lots more in your future!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    As planned, I did a strength workout sans squats and lunges. I couldn't help myself though with the deadlifts. I went ahead and started with them.

Things went well.

When I was done, thinking about what @drv123 wrote, I tried a pull-up. I haven't tried to do one in a long time. I stopped at one, and that also felt good. Then also just for fun, I started putting a little weight on a barbell and did some bench presses. I think I found a good starting point for when I add that to my routine. I'm not sure what it will replace, if anything.

I then noticed that there were three open lanes in the pool. I couldn't help but go swim. I swam 2050 yards in about 50 minutes, and it felt good.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Shoehorned a rowing machine workout into a tight schedule (because I'm disorganized). Decided to stick close to 2:30 pace for time predictability. (2:30 pace = 10' 2k.) So, 3 x 2k at 2:29.8. 2:29.6, 2:29.4, all at 19spm average, plus some row in/out and CD meters for 7,088m overall. Moderate, 80% Z3 with only 44" in Z4.

I can hold a reasonably consistent pace and spm (after rowing for 20+ years now) so it seems like the HR response is all about cardiac drift.
    hcskx1bq6iju.png

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    Climbing. 2.5 hours.

We did a fun drill. You find an intense climb you expect to get. You climb it as many times as possible in 5 minutes, doing press ups between reps. You rest for 5 minutes, and then do the same on another climb. We repeated 6 times, so that it took 60 minutes. With warm up and stretching , it was 150 minutes total.

My arms are still sore today.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been taking a break.
    I've been having some weird physical symptoms, multiple rounds of Xrays, CTs, blood tests, and more (with no useful insights from any of it), and reached a point of feeling pretty exhausted despite sleeping lots, so I decided to take a few days off.

Ann, I feel this deeply (and big hugs / best wishes they figure out what's going on, and soon).

Today I had a PET scan (following surgery to remove a stage II tumor from my colon in Dec.) and they posted my lab results to Healow. I peeked--and to my layman's eyes it seems like good news. I'll hear from my oncologist tomorrow.

Got home and took a 20 min. walk around the block. February sunshine is a welcome novelty.