WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    <3 Happy Valentine's Day <3

Debbie - that photo of the kitties curled up and sleeping is so peaceful. They are beautiful little companions.

Lisa - glad you reached an understanding with Corey about the "yard art." Talking about this stuff with spouses is hard at times but so worth it. Have fun with the visitors - how exciting to see them again.

Heather - were you able to see the doctor yesterday about your aching legs? Looks like you are getting a blood test. Hope whatever the cause is will be fixed quickly.

Allie - adorable photo of Smiles. Good luck to Tracy.

Had a nice walk with my neighbor yesterday and when I returned, Roger and Mrs. Roger were in their driveway so I caught up with them for a few minutes. Every time I think this house and property might be getting overwhelming, I think of my wonderful neighbors and neighborhood, and the good conversations I get to have with them.

I'm still spending time down the YouTube "living in a car" rabbit hole. Again, not because I have any desire to do that, but I'm fascinated by how well some folks can live with just the barest essentials. I look around my house and think.... what if I went from 1700 square feet to 600 or 800.... what would I take with me? What furniture, what appliances, clothing, etc.

I guess it's kind of a different way of looking at decluttering, and especially cleaning out drawers and cabinets. Mentally preparing for the eventual downsizing move which might happen in a year or ten. :p

Taking Rosie to the groomers tomorrow and have started a pile for the "Free" box. Things I don't care if someone snatches and puts on eBay. Worn but usable clothing of DH's that I found in the closet. Extra canned goods and pantry items. Things that hopefully will help hungry and low income families in that town.

Make it a great day. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

For 13 years, I lived in an 800 square ft apartment. When my ex husband was there, it was crowded, but the last 5 years there on my own were good ... I had ample room.

At the end of those 13 years, I downsized!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Got new Hoka Challengers!

I bought my previous ones almost exactly 4 years ago, and they were well worn. It was time.

This time I went with the wide version of my size because of my bunions, and I chose black. I could have gone with a really light blue/white colour scheme, but I don't wear white shoes, especially not running shoes!!

pm71kclntivo.png

Aside from the blister I got yesterday, my feet are happy again. :)

Machka in Oz

I also have a tailor bunion on my right foot along with a regular bunion. My left foot, I had the tailor bunion removed but still have a bunion near the big toe. So I looked up the HOKA challengers you have and found they are close to or over $200 American. I think they are worth it if they do last 4 years! I’ve been getting New Balance X-tra wide but they wear out within a year. I put a pair of these in my Save for Later list on Amazon.

RVrita

They are expensive but I have a lot of trouble finding comfortable shoes with my various feet issues and the Hoka Challengers are my most comfortable shoes. It's worth it to have one pair of shoes I know I can count on!

All my other shoes (dress shoes etc) are the type I can wear if I am mostly sitting at work or I wear them for short periods of time.

M in Oz
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did the Resistance Cord DVD then spent the day driving. For some reason, I REALLY had to go to the bathroom, and often at that. Maybe if I didn’t drink so much it would help. I just can’t help it. Must be the dry heat/ac

Wednesday here: did an incline interval workout, the plan for tomorrow is to do a Double Down DVD. It’s weird, there were a couple of people at the Y that I remembered. Of course, there were also new people. Boy, did I surprise Marge and her sister Margaret. Then went to Aldi to get some of the things in the condo. Then the Chamber of Commerce and the SPCA thrift store, Upscale Retail, and the Brevard County Charity thrift store since I know Jess isn’t interested in thrift stores. Got a few DVD’s and shorts and a shirt that I think is really pretty. Now getting dinner ready to microwave. Vince is talking about buying a new mattress.

Lisa – you can blame me for the puzzle addiction, but I blame Colby because he gave me one and during the pandemic I was so bored I put it together and fell in love with puzzles. Good job!

Claire – welcome (back)

Speaking of cookies -I was very surprised how many cookies/cupcakes were at the Y!

Annie – chocolate makes a wonderful friend at any time. So sorry to hear about your aunt

Debbie – awwww that pic. Vince got upset with me last night when we got to the condo. I moved my car as he wanted but I didn’t put it 4 spaces to the left like he wanted. What’s the big deal? Oh, he was probably just tired from all the driving.

You would be amazed at how many things get lost in this condo. It’s smaller than the house, too

Mags – how far west are you in NC

Tracey – congrats on that wonderful grade

heather – your food sounds so delish

Allie – if it IS twins, that’s twice the blessing.

Michele NC now FL
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Ginny You will be around the corner. Unfortunately I have dentist at 8 and heart Dr at 10. Sounds like you will be on another tight schedule too.

I too am crazy busy at work, but getting things done. So I reckon that is good. Cooked Bison burgers. DH liked! Laundry going. Now resting brain while DH walks backwards. I am really proud of the changes he has been making.

More later.

Kylia relaxing and laundry in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 5min 46sec, 119elev, 2.94ap, 99ahr, 156mhr, 6.22mi= 597c
    Strava app = 763c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 39.34min, 427elev, 116aw, 16.9amph, 46arpm, gear41, 97ahr, 116mhr, 11.16mi= 227c
    Strava app= 262c
    Zwift stats- 39.35min, 427elev, 116aw, 46arpm, 16.98amph, 11.2mi= 262c

Total cal 824
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Annie - sorry to hear about your Aunt. Regarding your dad leaving the car running in the garage - do you have carbon monoxide detectors? I think it's a law here in WA state but I don't have one :# . Whenever I sell this house I'm sure I'll have to get one in place. I'll grab one next time I'm in town.

Debbie - the bone scan is simple. Takes maybe 15 minutes which includes them filling out the paperwork, asking standard questions. Wear sweats (no zippers or metal). As I recall, I lay down on a table with a support under my knees and they took a shot through my tummy with the X-ray machine. Then I think I had to kind of lay on my side and they took another shot or two. It's been nearly 2 years. Hope insurance pays for it, good to have a baseline.

Kylia - wow, beautiful flowers.

Pip - gorgeous breakfast and you get this every Sunday? Are you still pinching yourself at what a gem Kirby is? And yes, I'm jealous. :p

Vicki - I love those clocks. :) Glad it's fixed and "coo-coo'ing" again. Also glad the doc said the nodules are nothing to worry about.

Heather - your meal looks great, the chickpeas turned out nice. Sounds like the lab will be running a lot of important tests for you. Glad you got that out of the way. BEA is such a little angel, I'm sure John loves her to pieces too. <3

Regarding houses: I recall when we bought this house, it was bigger than we really needed but we wanted the space for all of our STUFF. DH had made some furniture - a coffee table and desk, so that took up space. Antique kitchen queen I got for cheap and refinished when we were first married. Antique cedar chest and wardrobe from my side of the family. Large computer desks took up one bedroom. Large dining room table with 8 chairs. On and on.

I can already cut down my space needs by 2/3 by just not buying a place to put STUFF, most of which isn't important to me now.

But I'm just putting it out in the Universe - when the time is right, everything will come together for me to buy or build a smaller place. In the meantime, I am grateful I have a house to live in. And a place for my chickens! :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Yup, every Sunday, I am blessed that’s for sure
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited February 15
    Options
    Well my aunt is in the hospital with pneumonia.
    Annie in Delaware

Sorry about your aunt!

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I would love to replace all the carpets in the house. Our problem isn't the cost, it is the process. Having to remove all the furniture in every room. We have done the living room once, years ago, but it needs it again. We need to do all the bedrooms but those will be such a chore to clean out(especially my sewing room and dh's room-they are little rooms but SO much stuff in them)
    We replaced the carpet with lamenent in the hall and have plans to do it in the other hall and kitchen. Maybe this summer(dh said that the past two summers)-had to do the one hall because one of the cats wouldn't stop peeing on it. We even changed the carpet, painting the wood underneath before putting the new carpet in but I guess he could still smell it.

Is the bone density test just a scan with a machine- I need to ask my doctor again for one for me.
    I tried a few years ago but she said I wasn't old enough, even though both parents have/had Osteo.
    Dad's was worse than moms. I will be 62 next month so should be able to get one now.

Debbie

The bone density scan is really simple ... just a scan with a machine.

If we owned our current place, I'd replace all the carpet with hard surface flooring. I'm not a fan of carpet.

I'm still spending time down the YouTube "living in a car" rabbit hole. Again, not because I have any desire to do that, but I'm fascinated by how well some folks can live with just the barest essentials. I look around my house and think.... what if I went from 1700 square feet to 600 or 800.... what would I take with me? What furniture, what appliances, clothing, etc.

I guess it's kind of a different way of looking at decluttering, and especially cleaning out drawers and cabinets. Mentally preparing for the eventual downsizing move which might happen in a year or ten. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

As an adult, I've lived in a lot of small places. The 800 sq ft apartment was one of the bigger places!

Let's see ...
    - small 1-bed apartment
    - small mobile home
    - a room in a house for 3 months
    - the 800 sq ft apartment
    - my bicycle and part of a tent for 3 months
    - 2 rooms in a basement
    - a bit of time in a bed in a hostel and on a mattress in someone's sewing room
    - 1 decent sized room with a little kitchenette for 4 months
    - about 1/3 of a basement for a month
    - a 580 sq ft cabin in the bush with no electricity or running water for a year. Truly off the grid!
    - a massive 990 sq ft duplex with a great closet and a whole heap of mice for a couple years
    - my bicycle and part of a tent for about 8 months
    - a room in a house for 3 months
    - a house that was probably a little over 1000 sq ft for about 6 months
    - another 990 sq ft townhouse for about a year
    - and finally our current absolutely enormous 1100 sq ft house!! Best of all, this place has some useable space under the house too.

Twice, my both my husband and I did a major declutter.

When I moved out of the 800 sq ft apartment, I got rid of about 1/3 of my stuff.
    Before I moved into the 580 sq ft cabin in the bush off the grid, I got rid of about 1/3 of my stuff.

My husband voluntarily got rid of a whole bunch of his stuff at one point, then about 5 years later, he lost a lot of what was left (including what he had gotten for me in anticipation of me moving to Australia) in a bushfire.

I've enjoyed the times when it was just me, my cycling partner and our bicycles.

Home Sweet Home!
    q2am1dj6wl5l.png
    bc7jj885shmn.png

Machka in Oz