What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    Would someone knowledgeable please tell me their thoughts on calf raises? They seem inefficient to me.

I prefer standing calf raises over seated. I find higher reps with relatively heavy weight has worked best for me. Get a full stretch on the bottom before squeezing back up to the top. I like to hold the squeeze for an extra second before lowering the weight. My eccentric is roughly 2 seconds, again making sure I get a full stretch on the bottom.

Sometime if the weight I’m doing is too heavy for 15 consecutive reps I’ll turn it into a cluster set of 5,5,5 with a 10 to 20 sec rest between each cluster set.

Hope this helps itchy 😁

Yes!

I’m thinking about trying… I don’t know what you call it but a standing on a plate so that my heels go deeper. I don’t know if i’m explaining that right or if it has a name

You are. If you’re using a barbell then you’d need a plate or one of those aerobic steps.

Thank you 😊
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Made bad eating choices this afternoon. Ate a small breakfast so I wouldn’t have any IBS issues during my morning meeting. It was only supposed to be an hour, ended up being almost 3 hours. I was starving by the time I finally got home so I had a sandwich. That part was fine. The 400 calories worth of pretzels I had along with the sandwich on the other hand…

I know eating that much gluten at one time is bad for my IBS so hoping I get lucky and the consequences aren’t too painful.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    Would someone knowledgeable please tell me their thoughts on calf raises? They seem inefficient to me.

I prefer standing calf raises over seated. I find higher reps with relatively heavy weight has worked best for me. Get a full stretch on the bottom before squeezing back up to the top. I like to hold the squeeze for an extra second before lowering the weight. My eccentric is roughly 2 seconds, again making sure I get a full stretch on the bottom.

Sometime if the weight I’m doing is too heavy for 15 consecutive reps I’ll turn it into a cluster set of 5,5,5 with a 10 to 20 sec rest between each cluster set.

Hope this helps itchy 😁

Yes!

I’m thinking about trying… I don’t know what you call it but a standing on a plate so that my heels go deeper. I don’t know if i’m explaining that right or if it has a name

You are. If you’re using a barbell then you’d need a plate or one of those aerobic steps.

Thank you 😊
    Yes ma’am!
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    I gots the jelly legs
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    I gots the jelly legs

Means you did it right 🙌
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    I’ve had a pretty good bruise on my face for almost a week & not one person in my real life has said a word to me about it. I think it’s because no one looks at me.
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a pretty good bruise on my face for almost a week & not one person in my real life has said a word to me about it. I think it’s because no one looks at me.

Thats odd. I think you are a very lookable person. Maybe thats it....nice to look at but not easy to approach?
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Profile pix small, is your eye swollen? Brawling at school board meeting with book banners?
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    I read a thingy that implied that women rep closer to their 1rm than men do
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    45 + 45
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,220 Member
    Options
    I wonder what this was eating in my tree lj9j5yu1c2s8.jpg
  • Songbird_30
    Songbird_30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really don’t want to eat lots of white carbs I always gain weight back but I should be changing my way of eating to a healthier balance 🙄
  • LilithReigns
    LilithReigns Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The fact that grief is lifelong, and after losing someone you begin to search for better connections in your life. That time is an illusion and its not a promise.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Why did I tell gym bud I would meet him at the gym at nine?
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Stress and anxiety. From work, life, an upcoming dentist appointment to get 2 cavities fixed, and IBS (which ironically is made worse by stress and anxiety).
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    What do you call a tattoo sleeve on a leg? A sock? A stocking?
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    What do you call a tattoo sleeve on a leg? A sock? A stocking?

I think I want a stocking
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I don't claim to be knowledgeable, but a few years ago I hired a personal trainer. I've worked out regularly for years, just wanted to up my game a bit. I'm an avid walker and put in lots of miles every week, so when the trainer had me to weighted calf raises on a machine I thought nothing of it. I walk, my calves are strong, right? WRONG! Felt fine the rest of the evening, but the next morning when I got out of bed OUCH!!! I basically had to hold on to the wall and cry while walking on my tip toes for the next few days. Lesson learned! Do not neglect the calf raises!

YMMV, of course and maybe I'm just a weakling.
    Thank you 😊 I appreciate it

I’m interested to know about functional benefit as opposed to aesthetic benefit. I wear high heels a couple of times a week and have good calf genetics so aesthetically I already like the way they look.

Various calf raises are included in my lifting program. I want to be sure I’m not wasting my time.

I've personally never been fond of spending time on them. I have abbreviated workouts to fit in other sport activities and don't feel like they're worth the time.

Just an anecdote...guy with most impressive calves I've met was a fencer. He never lifted calves but developed them through his sport.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I don't claim to be knowledgeable, but a few years ago I hired a personal trainer. I've worked out regularly for years, just wanted to up my game a bit. I'm an avid walker and put in lots of miles every week, so when the trainer had me to weighted calf raises on a machine I thought nothing of it. I walk, my calves are strong, right? WRONG! Felt fine the rest of the evening, but the next morning when I got out of bed OUCH!!! I basically had to hold on to the wall and cry while walking on my tip toes for the next few days. Lesson learned! Do not neglect the calf raises!

YMMV, of course and maybe I'm just a weakling.
    Thank you 😊 I appreciate it

I’m interested to know about functional benefit as opposed to aesthetic benefit. I wear high heels a couple of times a week and have good calf genetics so aesthetically I already like the way they look.

Various calf raises are included in my lifting program. I want to be sure I’m not wasting my time.

I've personally never been fond of spending time on them. I have abbreviated workouts to fit in other sport activities and don't feel like they're worth the time.

Just an anecdote...guy with most impressive calves I've met was a fencer. He never lifted calves but developed them through his sport.
    This makes sense

I was hoping to hear something about how fantastic they are for ankle mobility or some other useful thing.

For now I’m just going to keep them until I finish the 12 week commitment I’ve made to this particular program and then I’ll reassess