WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Saturday's Highlights
    - sleep. This past week has exhausted me.
    - gorgeous sunset at new house
    - Giro d'Italia on TV

Had to dig out my good camera to try to get a non-blurry photo of the peacock. I think there are at least two that aren't blurry here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/ I don't know why this one is so difficult to get a good photo.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,259 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    Rita - It would drive me crazy too. Could you go away for a short break? Or a very long one? Big hugs. <3

The navy drawstring trousers I ordered from M&S arrived this afternoon. They look great! I ordered the short leg, which I have never done before, and I'm so glad I did. They are a linen/viscose blend. I have terrible trouble with waist sizes, but these are perfect. I'm not brave enough to order jeans online, but this baggy beach style are adjustable.
    I also smoke bombed the front bedroom, where I found a few carpet moths last week. I will do the upstairs bedroom and bathroom tomorrow. I have a constant fight with the things, but they are much, much, fewer than last year.
    Plus, I changed over the fake flowers to reflect early summer. (Gorgeous day today) Took away the pink tulips and mixed spring jug, and put a rose posy on the mantlepiece, and a pretty garden summer spray on the dining table. I like to keep the flowers seasonal. The irises are still out, but will be retired soon.
    I'm still looking for more summer flowers as I like a display in front of the fireplace. I've seen some gorgeous old roses on Amazon, but haven't pressed the button.

Monday is our 21 years 'meeting anniversary '. I've got a few presents for John to open, including a bigger thermos for his cricket coffee, because he was saying that his old one is too small. This one is one pint. I also bought a box of biscuits (cookies) that are wrapped in twos, like you get in hotels, that he can take with him for his morning snack. A mini umbrella, that fits in a pocket, and some Guylian seashells, that he loves. Some gorgeous new spotted wrapping paper arrived today, so I shall be wrapping tomorrow. :p
    I've painted him a card.

I gave G a card on Friday, that I had previously painted, to celebrate 40 years since she was sectioned to the mental hospital after several spectacular suicide attempts. She considers it the beginning of a new life, that changed everything. She met a wonderful psychiatrist, who 'saved' her. I have found these small gestures of friendship both cheer me up, and the recipient. The text to my niece was the same. Made my day! If you are feeling low, doing something nice for someone, is the best way to feel better. Why not do it today!

We had smoked salmon sandwiches on rye for lunch, and tonight is cod with a pesto crust, and pea purée. Two fishy days in a row!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Debbie -
    I have a chicken question for Debbie:
    Does your mom let her hens free range or are they kept in a run, at least at night? And if they are kept in a run, does she close the coop door? With the longer days, my girls don't go in the coop until after 8:30 this week and are up before 5. In another couple months, it won't get dark until after 10 and the morning sun will start lighting up the sky at 3:30 or so. There's not a way to put an automatic coop door closer on my cheap little coop. The run is completely enclosed chain link, including tight fencing over the top. I can't think of any predator big enough to do them harm if I don't close that coop door at night, they are safe from raccoons and opossums. I figure I have another couple weeks to think about it.

Rain is back.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

mom locks the chickens up every night. They are let out in the mornings. She actually has an alarm set on her phone to remind her to lock them up at night. She is having to go out later because of the time change. She uses a hose to chase them inside if they are not in when she goes out.
    Her chickens are fenced in at all times (and it is covered too) because she has had critters come in the middle of the day and grab chickens before she had it covered and when she let them out in the pasture.
    If any chicken doesn't go inside for the night, there is a very high likelyhood they will not survive the night.

Debbie - thank you for that info, it helps. What are the main predators at your mom's place - possums? raccoons? weasels?

When we lived on the farm, one night we forgot to shut the coop door - the coop was set in a large pasture. That night, something sneaked in and killed nearly all of the hens, we figured it was a raccoon(s) Took the hens out into the pasture and ate the breast meat, left the rest of the carcass. Sneaky varmints! :(

I haven't seen any around here but that doesn't mean they aren't watching.

Lanette

She has bobcats, foxes, coyote, raccoons, skunks
    She has possums but they eat bugs, not chickens.
    No weasels that I know of. Does have rats.

One time they forgot to lock up and a bobcat came in and just killed more than half the flock- didn't eat them, just killed them.

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

Debbie: I hope you enjoyed your Saturday! I know you were looking forward to it!

Not much happening here! I am still waiting for my garden to be tilled and for the plants to arrive!I have lost 9 pounds.
    I am cutting back to 1 day a week working with the cats!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

Thank you.
    It was so quiet. I didn't have the tv on or the speakers on on my computer so total silence all day. I got some things done-computer work, cleaned up some of the 3D printed things for the show next weekend.
    Didn't get to work in the garden. I COULD go out there now as it is still daylight and the rain stopped but I won't. It is too cold and I just don't feel like it. ;)
    Dh is on his way home already. Should be home soon. Son just left with his girlfriend.

Maybe tomorrow I will work in the garden.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-road and stairs to no where not overly uncommon. Frequently areas under development by a company or government development takes certain amenities to a distance and then it is further modified when a new business is ready to move in on the property. Sometimes the buyer (to lessee) does not show up as quickly as economic development hopes!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

That area has been under development for the past decade. Someone has an idea so they put in one or two things, then that idea falls apart and stuff is left or torn out. They put in a really nice bicycle path a few years ago, then tore it out a year later. Now there's a new idea but no one can agree on it. Meanwhile it's a large area of things to nowhere and bits and pieces.

However, I am especially fond of the stairs to nowhere because I can climb up and down them. I've seen other exercisers do the same thing. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I dug around in my closet - last year I had ordered an ultrasonic trainer device which supposedly emits a high frequency that dogs don't like. I hadn't used it yet but put the battery in it and am anxious to give it a try. Yesterday when I was mowing in back, another neighbor dog went for me and barked and lunged at the fence. Those neighbors - the man of the house is deaf and has the TV up so loud, his wife can't hear anything that goes on outside it seems. :s

Think I'll get the weed eater going by the back fence....maybe I can test the new gizmo today. :p>:) [/spoiler]

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

You must tell me more about this device!!

M in Oz

What is it called so I can look it up on Amazon?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,359 Member
    Options
    Worked then went to Big Lots for some of these protein bars. A lot of the ones they had yesterday were gone, but I did get a few. Then had to go to WalMart since Vince needed milk for tomorrow. Did a bit of other shopping, got the boxes for PJ’s birthday gifts (it’s today). Church tonight. Made cod for later in the week and the freezer

Lanette my neighbor was telling me that you can rent a stump remover from Home Depot

Angela – welcome. This is absolutely the place for you!

Barbie – nice safe. We have a gun safe about 6 feet tall

Since I don’t work tomorrow, the plan is to do a Cardio and Strength Circuit Workout DVD. We shall see how this one is

Rosemarie – the five foot rule is “if it looks good from 5 feet away...it’s good enough” Congrats on the loss

Checking out some ceramics places.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    About me: Machka the Canadian-Australian.
    I'm 57.
    Still working almost full-time (9 day fortnights) and doing a whole lot of other things.
    Married and a full-time carer of my husband.
    One gorgeous black cat.

More about me:
    hzhmkjd6hxua.png
    https://wordart.com/create

Sports I have done or would like to try:
    cagtx6esk18v.png

Why I cycle:
    6nly3hrym42g.png

Places I've been at one point or another:
    1j0b0i07jtcl.png

Create your own Word Art: :)
    https://wordart.com/create