Yo-yo dieter, seeks healthy relationship with food!

Options
Hello 👋

For most of my life I have been on one “diet” or another.

The last 6 years have been extremely challenging mentally, however after a humongous amount of work I am now content 🙌

My next challenge is to finally tackle the weight (which has sadly got out of all proportion - unless I’m next to a walrus). Next year I hit a big birthday and would like the physical me match the mental me in it’s contentment.

Other stuff.

I am my families historian (I literally know all the dirt and where we buried the bodies!!) I wrote a book about my Great Uncle who supposedly deserted during WW2 and am busy writing about a distant cousin who was involved in a few suspicious deaths.

I sew a lot and LOVE most types of music. Unless it’s shouty stuff cause my head just goes WTF run away.

So my question (if you got this far) is what is your one best healthy eating tip.

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You’re asking for healthy tips when you should be worried about your distant cousin tracking you down!?!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Tips: eat a variety of foods, aim for nutrition, cook at home the majority of the time, burn more than you eat to lose weight
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty light during the day and plan a whole week of somewhat healthy dinners. That way I only have to think about calories once per week. I'm working on sticking to my meal plans.It saves a lot of money, too...and less food waste.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Meal prep! Cook ahead, you can even pre-log those meals in your diary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

My favorite tip: Focus on finding personalized, enjoyable, practical new eating habits that are sustainable long term, rather than focusing on losing weight fast.
  • knhager96
    knhager96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get most of my relationship with food from Michael Pollan. He has some great words and advice about food. Not for everyone, but he's helped me heal some of my food trauma.
  • Relentlessly_Persevere1
    Relentlessly_Persevere1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 8
    Options
    Hi there! I wish I had more good advice to give but I am still fumbling my way through this myself. I guess the one thing I know is true is that the more I choose healthy options over things like cookies, the easier that choice becomes. I still crave cookies and if I have one, I’m likely to eat a whole tray. However, I find myself saying no to them more and more. So my tip is to remember it will get easier and the more you do it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Probably seeking out someone that is a professional dietitian with experience in eating disorder recovery. imo