October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps

Options

Replies

• justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited :). Lol. I'll have my numbers up sometime tomorrow morning.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Spent last night making a spaghetti squash lasagna today with lots of meat and cheese and some veggies I don't normally eat. Hope it was worth the trouble -- it was way too much work. Next time I'll just make it into a sauce and pour it on the "noodles". Still figuring all this out!

Measurements
    Bicep - 10.5
    Chest - 34.5
    Waist - 27
    Stomach - 29 (finally got rid of that bloat!)
    Hips - 34.5
    Thigh - 20
    Weight - 126.6 (a lb heavier right now, but going to start off with my "real" number, not my inflated one).

Not expecting a huge difference in numbers, but hoping to feel the difference on November 1st!
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Starting weight and measurements

10/3/11
    SW 169.4
    Bust 36.5”
    Waist 33”
    Hips 41.5”
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Morning everyone! I stepped on the scale this morning to get my starting weight for this month and will be taking measurements when i get home tonight.

So far since testing the Paleo/Primal waters last week, i've noticed that my tummy hasn't been growling a lot and I haven't been feeling ravenous (except for the first 2 days where I felt like chewing my arm off).

msbanana, that pumpkin recipe sounds good!

jstamyagain - hi there! i see you are from SoCal too =)

My menu for today:
    Breakfast - hard boiled egg, avocado, bacon, coffee, half and half
    Lunch - canned tuna, romaine lettuce
    Dinner - chorizo, scrambled eggs, sweet potato

Jenny
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I will go with my last weight in.. 214. I am not comfortable sharing measurements though but I do have them recorded and will take them again at the end of the month and report any losses.

Hope everyone is getting off to a good start.. I did last month's challenge and was not 100% by any means.. sugar in my coffee has been one of the hardest things to give up My goal is to be sugar free by Mid-October and also to cut down on the amount of nuts I am consuming. I am also doing the leptin reset.. strict paleo with 50 grams of protein within 30 mintues of waking, no cardio, strength training, under 25 grams of carbs per day if you have more than 30 lbs to loose low to no fruit and nuts.. have not been 100% with that either. so I am going to continue the challenge. I did loose 4 lbs last month breaking my long time plateau. Changes I can report from last month is my quality of sleep.. before the reset.. I slept very poorly.. I took magnesuim and calcium and drank tension tamer tea every night in the hopes it would help.. half the time I slept some what decent. the other half I was up and down all night long. now I fall alseep easily without the vitamins( I've been out for a few weeks) or the tea and sleep soundly all night!. I have more energy and stamina.

Day three of this challenge.. I have 2 very significant observations to share.. weekends are always a little off- food and routine wise- around my house.. my husband is home and the focus on Saturdays are on sleeping in, a large late breakfast and basically lazying around. Sundays are busy rushing to get everyone ready for church, rushing back home for lunch then back to church that night. Most Sundays I do not eat until late afternoon.. I am doing well to get a cup of coffee and a little water. Yesterday though my husband was up before dawn cooking breakfast.He brought me a plate while I was still sleepily drinking coffee.. awww so sweet.. it was scrambled eggs. fruit salad and tator tots, and yeah I ate it ( fed half the tots to the dog even though they were really yummy lol) . however it was a lot more sugar and much less protein than I am used to consuming early in the morning.. I spent the whole day being hungry,tired and finding myself mindlessly snacking on sweet stuff. today by comparision I put 1 tbs of coconut oil in my first cup of coffee.. was instantly so full that I did not want my normal second cup or any food..ate half the protein of the reset 2 hours later. I'm completely stuffed, satisfied and not thinking about snacking. I am also wide awake and feeling alert. huge difference! I function so much better on higher fat and protein intake.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good luck to everyone trying out a new lifestyle!

I wish you all the best and hope you guys see some pretty dramatic results both physically and physiologically.

........remember.......you get out of it what you put in.

Next time you go for the oreos.....or for the mashed potatoes.....or that bag of fuzzy peaches, just keep that statement in mind. After a few times of turning them down you'll probably find yourself not even missing them or wanting them anymore.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I will post my stats tomorrow morning. I have been so stressed over this biopsy that I am just lucky I haven't eaten myself out of house and home...............

Leaving work in a few minutes to head to the Dr. Have 2 appointments this afternoon. First at 1:00 to review my blood work for Diabetes control again and thyroid control.

2nd appt is at 3:30 to get biopsy done. Grrrr.
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    Hello

I have just found out abour primal eating and Im not ready to jump in 100% yet but thought maybe I could hang around here!
  • EdelweissViola
    Options
    I would like to join this group! I am fairly new on MFP. I have have been eating this way for the past 6 months, have lost a LOT of weight, and have since come to learn that I am incredibly sensitive to gluten. Because of that, this lifestyle suits me well and my stomach issues have just about disappeared. I am not always great about buying completely organic but I try! Anyway, hello to all!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just change to low carb 2 weeks ago and still adjusting and learning.
    This weekend I was so bad-high carb, high fat, high cal.
    I still ate at 1AM yesterday. I'm fasting until dinner today.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just change to low carb 2 weeks ago and still adjusting and learning.
    This weekend I was so bad-high carb, high fat, high cal.
    I still ate at 1AM yesterday. I'm fasting until dinner today.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    October 2011

Height: 5' 3”
    Weight: 112.4

Measurements:
    Bust: 34”
    Waist: 24.75 in (I gained an inch in Sept 2011!)
    Hips: 34.5 in (I lost and inch and a half !!! in Sept.) I'm hoping I can get more muscle back here. Any tips?
    Right thigh: 21 in
    Right calf: 12.75
    Right bicep: 10.5

To my second month of going full Paleo, with less than 100 g of carbs a day. I plan on hitting 50 g or carbs a day or less if I can! Sept. was a blast learning how to do this, and I am so sold on how easy it is to stay under calories for the day, and still enjoy tasty foods with tons of fats and creams. I lost two pounds in Sept. even though I didn’t get my carbs down below 100g a day until the third week. Success.

I love nuts, veggies, fish, meat, so this has been a really awesome treat. Thanks Grokette for the first month, hat’s off to Resilent woman for my second! My husband is impressed with all the good food I'm making.

My goal is to slim down my thighs.

Pot roast tonight. :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Today is off to a fantastic start!

Despite grumbling and groaning yesterday about food prep I'm SO glad I did it. That's one of the things I have the hardest time with despite how long I've been living this way is the time and energy it takes to get my provisions for the day or week together. I suppose I shouldn't grouse too much as it's just me I have to prep for but still... Once it's done, however, my day goes so much smoother. I made my smoothie for breakfast and a frittata for 2nd breakfast this morning, I have roasted free range chicken with sliced veggies and grapes for lunch, a protien packed nut ball (and my cheater yogurt) for preworkout snack and am planning a grass fed petite serloin with sauteed zucchini, mushrooms and peppers for dinner.

Looking forward to a killer workout tonight as well!
    Today's a total body day so I'll likely see a 1K cal burn!

Not too bad for a Monday! :bigsmile:

Let's make this an awesome week!

:drinker:
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hey, can I join too? I just got back from vacation so I'm a little late but I'm going to start tomorrow. For the past few months I've been about 60% paleo with a weekly cheat day.

My starting stats are 5'9 and 154 lbs. I really need to get my diet back on track and commit to this for the month of October.

I plan to try for 80% and reduce my cheat day to a cheat "meal". I'll also up my workouts to 4x a week (like HIIT) and drink lots of water. I'm also limiting alcohol to 2 glasses a week.

Are you guys strict in counting calories? Do you mind sharing what your average intakes are approx.? Mine was 1600 but I've reduced it to 1500 for this month.

Claire
  • TrufflePig
    Options
    I am in!
    I totally fell off the wagon in September, but I am back on track for October. (Somehow I still managed to lose a couple of pounds in September despite the fact that I was doing Paleo about 50% of the time.) My goal for this month is to be strict Paleo as much as possible because when I cheat, I can't stop!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Question guys: I get that the paleo lifestyle cuts out the grains legumes dairy and, for many, root vegetables but HOW on God's Green EARTH are some of you managing on 50-100g of carbs/day? I burn out and totally lose energy, focus, power and drive if I cut back that steeply. I try to keep it under 150g on training days less, if I can, on off days but even then I get worn out and get a serious case of "Eat all the things!" especially nearing my "off" days (meaning days I'm not training). Training sucks and I have no energy if I don't carb up a little before I go workout. (No it's not psychosematic I had to try a bunch of crap to firgure out why I was feeling so gawd awful).

What is your routine like? What kind of training do you do? Are you doing extensive cardio? Strength Training? How are you preventing burn-out?

Ok, that's more than one question but enlighten me...
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Question guys: I get that the paleo lifestyle cuts out the grains legumes dairy and, for many, root vegetables but HOW on God's Green EARTH are some of you managing on 50-100g of carbs/day? I burn out and totally lose energy, focus, power and drive if I cut back that steeply. I try to keep it under 150g on training days less, if I can, on off days but even then I get worn out and get a serious case of "Eat all the things!" especially nearing my "off" days (meaning days I'm not training). Training sucks and I have no energy if I don't carb up a little before I go workout. (No it's not psychosematic I had to try a bunch of crap to firgure out why I was feeling so gawd awful).

What is your routine like? What kind of training do you do? Are you doing extensive cardio? Strength Training? How are you preventing burn-out?

Ok, that's more than one question but enlighten me...

Your body may not need to go that low in carbs. When I started out, I was very low carb 50-75 average- l lost weight and corrected a lot of issues. I kept doing it up until this year when I began doing a bootcamp at a mixed martial arts gym. I'm working out at a level I never had before. I crashed pretty hard in the spring and it messed up my hormone balance again. After much reading and tracking what I was eating (on a different site) I realized my carb level might be too low. I added in fruit, some potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice and plantains. I didn't really even have to increase my carbs that much but I average probably 100-125 now. And it made a big difference in my performance and mental well-being and my hormones corrected. I believe my body has healed enough to accept and run with increased carbs. Maybe your body is in a similar state of health? Going paleo doesn't necessarily have to mean low carb.
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    jamk1446 - my friend who is on Paleo mentioned carb cycling to me. Basically eat more carbs on the days you work out. Hope to hear some of your thoughts on that... =)
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Sorry, double post!!
  • MUDDERinTRAINING
    MUDDERinTRAINING Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm super excited to see such a good sized group...strength in numbers :)

Since most of us are newer to the lifestyle, would anyone else be interested in posting daily recipes so that we can diversify our menus?

Here is an easy-peasy breakfast idea:

Chicken Apple Scramble
    1/2 link sliced chicken apple sausage
    1/8 c. fresh basil
    5 grape tomatoes
    2 eggs
    1 tbsp water

1. Preheat (non-stick) sauté pan on medium heat.
    2. Grill sausage. Remove from pan.
    2. Beat eggs and water together. Scramble in pan.
    3. Add tomato, basil and sausage.
    4. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

And here are my October 3 stats:
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 107lbs
    Measurements:
    32" bust
    23.75" waist
    34.75" hip
    20.25" thigh
    *not really looking to lose weight, but I need to do some major body recomp to drop my 28% body fat!)

Monday was 100% successful! The hubby did our weekly grocery shopping today, so I'm hoping the rest of the week will progress just as smoothly.

Wishing everybody a productive and fulfilling month!

Stacy