Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Anyone here use vanilla flavoring instead of extract in their MIM recipe?

I never thought of using the Davinci SF syrups, but why not?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have to log in my food diary to figure why I did not lose weight on induction.
    I set up 5% carb 35% protein and 65% fat. Is that the right ratio?
    Personally I would try for more fat and less protein. I would consider your ratio the minimum acceptable one for induction but that is just my opinion. Where are your carbs coming from?
    My carbs comes from cheese, sour cream, vege.
    I got some polish sausages those are 7g carbs each. . I won't eat them this week. I try to stick to Atkins food list as much as I can for this week.
    I'll raise my fat to 70%.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on finding Shiritaki noodles! I didn't think of looking at Asian markets, I will look for one locally before ordering online. I don't have Albertson's or Safeway in Connecticut (and I miss them from when I lived in other states!) but I will check Walmart! Thanks again! :smile:
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Induction Phase- I drink lots of water however I still want my coffee!
    Currently I do: 1tbs folgers, with half a cup hot water, half a cup unsweetened almond milk, two splendas and a half a tsp vanilla extract. Anyone else doing Induction phase have any other drink options or recipes.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Currently I do: 1tbs folgers, with half a cup hot water, half a cup unsweetened almond milk, two splendas and a half a tsp vanilla extract. Anyone else doing Induction phase have any other drink options or recipes.
    From atkins.com
    Beverages

Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
    Club soda
    Cream, heavy or light.
    Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
    Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
    Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
    Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
    Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...
    Filtered water
    Mineral water
    Spring water
    Tap water

* You may have 1 to 2 cups of caffeinated tea or coffee if you can tolerate caffeine without experiencing cravings or symptoms of hypoglycemia.
    If you are truly addicted to caffeine, it's best to break the habit during the Induction.

Alcohol:

Alcohol is not allowed during the first two weeks of Induction. If you remain on this phase longer,
    you can have a glass of wine, a low-carb beer, or a small amount of spirits mixed with water or club soda, but be sure to avoid mixers that contain carbs, including fruit juices and tonic water. Understand that consuming alcohol may slow your weight loss.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    From atkins.com
    Beverages

Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
    Club soda
    Cream, heavy or light.
    Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
    Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
    Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
    Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
    Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...
    Filtered water
    Mineral water
    Spring water
    Tap water

* You may have 1 to 2 cups of caffeinated tea or coffee if you can tolerate caffeine without experiencing cravings or symptoms of hypoglycemia.
    If you are truly addicted to caffeine, it's best to break the habit during the Induction.

Alcohol:

Alcohol is not allowed during the first two weeks of Induction. If you remain on this phase longer,
    you can have a glass of wine, a low-carb beer, or a small amount of spirits mixed with water or club soda, but be sure to avoid mixers that contain carbs, including fruit juices and tonic water. Understand that consuming alcohol may slow your weight loss.

We have plenty of drinks to choose from. I have a cup of coffee a day, and usually a soda (sweetened with splend)...and my water of course!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water, but it's taken me awhile to get to this point. I have a Diet Coke in the morning, since I don't drink coffee, water most of the day at work and then at home. When I get tired of water, I'll drink a Propel Zero, Vitamin Water Zero or Crystal Light lemonade. I have a one gallon water container that I keep in the fridge that already has the lemonade made up. I buy the half gallon size powder sticks at Costco to make it which is much cheaper than the grocery store prices.

I started doing this because my college-aged son, who is home most of the day, was drinking too much sugared soda, then drinking all of my Diet Coke when I stopped buying the regular soda. Now he drinks the Crystal Light most of the time which is cheaper and better on his waistline.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    thank you for the response.. lemonade sure does sound good. I guess I was posting that because the coffee I made didn't turn out as great as I would have liked it to. LOL, I was mad at my coffee!

I made sugar free jello. YUMMY

Today was a good low carb day. Hope everyone had a great day also.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I love coffee. I admit that I drink a lot of it. I have a Keurig, so I'm spoiled on coffee. lol Though I do switch to decaff in the afternoon. But I still drink 8-10 bottles of water a day also.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Question for you fine Low Carb folks...

I don't eat Atkins products, but was thinking of buying the bars for a "splurge" whenever a craving for sweets come up. I've had LC choc and jelly beans, but the maltitol causes me really bad cramps. I can't eat SF stuff due to aspartame issues, so I'm wondering about the taste and your experiences with the snack bars...

Thanks, Felicia
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    CoCoMa,
    I love the Atkins bars for those emergencies that I sometimes have. If I am stuck somewhere (especially the car) and there just isn't time to go in and eat a salad somewhere, I keep an emergency bar in my purse.
    I don't eat them often and they are in case of emergency only for me. My favorite one is the caramel nut roll. :) tastes just like a candy bar!

I am down one week in induction, but have stalled on my weight loss. :( I know I'm not getting enough fiber, so I am trying to fit it in. It's one of those crazy weeks where I spend more time in my car than normal.
    I did measure myself this morning and had some awesome results! .5 off my hips, 1 off my waist, 1 off my thigh and ready for this? 1.5 off at my belly button!

I'll take those results any day. :wink:

I was able to pull out a smaller size of jeans this morning which feels pretty amazing.
    Thanks for all the advice and support!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I love the atkins bars. I use them often, actually. Especially when I'm too sore or lazy to cook :) I just got the chocolate hazelnut bars. They are awesome!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Help! My weight loss has slowed from 2-3 pounds a week, to about 4 pounds a month. MONTH! My husband mentioned that I've been going through the peanut butter pretty fast, so starting today, I'm taking out the PB. Also, I've noticed I do better when I remember to take my fish oil and multi-vitamin everyday, so I will start doing that again!
    Also, whoever is holding the Whoosh Fairy captive, please release her and send her to my house ;-D
    One pound per week is still a pretty good weight loss. As you get closer to your goal weight, your loss is definitely going to slow down because you have so much less to lose. I'm happy right now with 1/2 pound per week since I'm so close.

That said, dropping the peanut butter might help. I'd also suggest a shake-up in your workout routine. It's possible your body is getting too comfortable with the level of effort you're putting in right now. Add something more intensive or try something completely different and see if that helps.
    I agree with Sue about the weight loss rate. Do you track your body composition in other ways like the tape measure or body fat calipers? Those changes to me are more important than weight to track as water retention can cause weight measures to vary widely. I'd also check to be sure you are getting enough fat in your diet and not too much protein. Is cutting out alcohol completely for a while an option? That helped me get past a stall once. Hang in there, you've done great so far!

Thanks, everyone! I guess I was getting used to losing between 8-10 a month. I made the mistake in the beginning of not taking measurements. But I can definately tell with how my clothes are fitting. I've gone from a 22 to a 16/18. I'm still going to cut down on the PB for a while. And, I can switch up my excercise, too! I have some Wii games here that I haven't played in a while!
  • SueInAz
    Options

I don't eat Atkins products, but was thinking of buying the bars for a "splurge" whenever a craving for sweets come up. I've had LC choc and jelly beans, but the maltitol causes me really bad cramps. I can't eat SF stuff due to aspartame issues, so I'm wondering about the taste and your experiences with the snack bars...

Thanks, Felicia
    I love the Atkins candy-type bars for when I have a sweet tooth. I've previously eaten the meal bars as a substitute for breakfast since I eat at my desk every morning, but haven't been using them this time around.

If you have difficulty with artificial sweeteners, you might have trouble with them, though. They ALL contain sugar alcohol in some quantity. You might try buying a couple of different varieties somewhere you can purchase single bars (grocery store, Target, etc.) and see how you react to them. Look for the ones that have the smallest amount of sugar alcohol and try those first.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

The caffeine is restricted due to it's ability to cause cravings. I still drink a coffee a day with cream and splenda, and I have diet soda. I still drink between 64-80 oz of water a day. I tend to drink a lot all day long.

Thanks, Felicia

I love them! I allow myself a bar every night, and I add it into my carb count for the day. I feel like I deserve a reward, and it satisfies my sweets cravings. Plus, it's hard for me to sit back and watch my husband and kids having dessert, when I don't have anything.
    Favorites: chocolate peanut butter and peanut butter granola.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Help! My weight loss has slowed from 2-3 pounds a week, to about 4 pounds a month. MONTH! My husband mentioned that I've been going through the peanut butter pretty fast, so starting today, I'm taking out the PB. Also, I've noticed I do better when I remember to take my fish oil and multi-vitamin everyday, so I will start doing that again!
    Also, whoever is holding the Whoosh Fairy captive, please release her and send her to my house ;-D
    One pound per week is still a pretty good weight loss. As you get closer to your goal weight, your loss is definitely going to slow down because you have so much less to lose. I'm happy right now with 1/2 pound per week since I'm so close.

That said, dropping the peanut butter might help. I'd also suggest a shake-up in your workout routine. It's possible your body is getting too comfortable with the level of effort you're putting in right now. Add something more intensive or try something completely different and see if that helps.
    I agree with Sue about the weight loss rate. Do you track your body composition in other ways like the tape measure or body fat calipers? Those changes to me are more important than weight to track as water retention can cause weight measures to vary widely. I'd also check to be sure you are getting enough fat in your diet and not too much protein. Is cutting out alcohol completely for a while an option? That helped me get past a stall once. Hang in there, you've done great so far!

Thanks, everyone! I guess I was getting used to losing between 8-10 a month. I made the mistake in the beginning of not taking measurements. But I can definately tell with how my clothes are fitting. I've gone from a 22 to a 16/18. I'm still going to cut down on the PB for a while. And, I can switch up my excercise, too! I have some Wii games here that I haven't played in a while!

I am a believer in shaking things up a bit to get past a perceived stall, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as the saying goes. By that I mean, I would keep the fundamental aspects of the diet but perhaps try some tweaks to see their effect, such as limiting alcohol, increasing fat as a % of overall calories, or reducing total calories consumed. While some low carb writers (e.g. Taubes) are unconvinced that aerobic exercise plays a significant role in weight loss, I'm firmly on the fence as I think daily low-impact walking has really helped me. Strength training is a different issue entirely and I think it has real, undisputed benefits with regard to fat burning. Going from size 22 to 16/18 is very impressive by the way.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Thanks you guys!! I love pb, so I think I'll try the pb bars.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I've been aiming for 1200 calories a day. What MFP has as my auto cals. If I exercise I usually eat a few of the ones I earn.
    I am eating around 20-30 net carbs.

Does this sound right? A trainer a couple years ago said below 1500 wasn't a good idea. What are the thoughts of the Atkins support Gurus?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    If you're eating really low carb, I wouldn't eat so few calories. I find that I don't drop weight nearly as quickly when I'm trying to keep both calories and carbs super low. 1500-1600 is a good target; it's what I usually aim for when eating 20-30 net carbs.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Whoosh fairy finally came back again and I got back under 300 to 295 in 2 days! Amazing what she can do!:laugh: