New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Re: Stage 1. I think, in retrospect, that Stage 1 is to basically just introduce you to the lifts and get people moving who may not have ever moved quite that way. I don't remember waking up sore from NROLFW until well-into Stage 2 or maybe 3. I wouldn't want anybody to bail on the program because of reservations based on Stage 1.

I see what you mean. I thought that too (I have been doing bodypump for nearly two years, so know how to squat, deadlift etc), but I have found now that I am using enough weight it's fine and I am noticing doms. The sessions are so short though that it feels weird. I feel like I could do more than what is in stage 1.

What do you mean by "doms"? I have seen other people use this term but I don't know what it means. Am I missing something?
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Re: Stage 1. I think, in retrospect, that Stage 1 is to basically just introduce you to the lifts and get people moving who may not have ever moved quite that way. I don't remember waking up sore from NROLFW until well-into Stage 2 or maybe 3. I wouldn't want anybody to bail on the program because of reservations based on Stage 1.

I see what you mean. I thought that too (I have been doing bodypump for nearly two years, so know how to squat, deadlift etc), but I have found now that I am using enough weight it's fine and I am noticing doms. The sessions are so short though that it feels weird. I feel like I could do more than what is in stage 1.

I felt that way too when I started, but if you progressively increase the weights, by the time you get to three sets at the end of Stage 1, it takes a decent bit of time.

Have to brag a tiny bit - Yesterday I was subbing in prone jackknives for all the crunches in Stage 2, did 25 PJKs pulling my knees to my chest for the first set, and on the second set decided to try lifting my bum to the ceiling like the "big boys" do. I actually did a small movement - straight up in the air! It was pretty awesome, didn't think I could do it and voila! I'll be practicing more on that, fer sure.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "doms"? I have seen other people use this term but I don't know what it means. Am I missing something?

Muscle Soreness - specifically, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
  • idauria
    Options
    Thanks! Now I don't have to be ignorant!
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've just started Stage 1 and this is my concern too. I know the weights I'm using are certainly heavier and I'm using the olympic bar now which is really exciting but the workouts feel so short and there are so few exercises that it just feels strange. Does it get a lot harder? Someone's probably already answered this but how long are your workouts in the advanced stages?

When I compare it to something like Jamie Eason's 12-week Live Fit program I wonder if I'm really getting a workout. Okay, I've never done JE's program and I know NROLFW is different because they are compound movements but does feel strange to only do 5 exercises in total.

I did Body Pump for years and while it did help to get me in shape initially all I have to do is take a look around the room at the women who have also been doing it for years to see there isn't much improvement in muscle tone and the weights they're now lifting aren't much heavier either. It's a wonder it's so popular :(
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I love how short the sessions are in stage 1. A full body workout in 30minutes is great!
  • TluvK
    Options
    I've just started Stage 1 and this is my concern too. I know the weights I'm using are certainly heavier and I'm using the olympic bar now which is really exciting but the workouts feel so short and there are so few exercises that it just feels strange. Does it get a lot harder? Someone's probably already answered this but how long are your workouts in the advanced stages?

When I compare it to something like Jamie Eason's 12-week Live Fit program I wonder if I'm really getting a workout. Okay, I've never done JE's program and I know NROLFW is different because they are compound movements but does feel strange to only do 5 exercises in total.

I did Body Pump for years and while it did help to get me in shape initially all I have to do is take a look around the room at the women who have also been doing it for years to see there isn't much improvement in muscle tone and the weights they're now lifting aren't much heavier either. It's a wonder it's so popular :(

Yes, they're short. Yes, you're getting a workout. and YES, they get harder and longer. I do cardio before my lifting and I'm worried, now that I'm in Stage 2, that I won't be able to finish in an hour. In Stage 2, Workout A has two addl exercises and Workout B has two more than even Workout A.

I know what you mean about the body pump classes though - it is one of the reasons why I started weight-lifting. My muscle strength has improved more in the last 3 months than it did the whole two years I religiously did Power Sculpt.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did the first session with only 8 reps per set and it felt oddly short to me. I was able to increase every area by 10 pounds, (minus the pushups and prone jackknives) and everything felt really good, but oddly quick. I've also wondered if I was doing enough until some recent workouts really stayed with me and ached for a couple days, but last night's workout got me wondering if I should have been increasing the weight even more. I'm looking forward to stage/level 2!
  • idauria
    Options
    I've also been wondering if I really pushed myself hard enough in stage 1. Maybe I should have started with higher weights. I never felt particularly sore and I don't feel all that stronger. When I start stage 2 next I am going to try and lift as heavy as possible and go from there. Though I don't think I will be able to lift heavy for the one point rows, those look hard and there's only so much weight my hands can handle holding. I guess I'll see how it goes next week. At least I'm not alone in my thoughts about it!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The workout in Phase 2 are definitely longer. Part of the reason is that the rest periods between sets are longer. It's been taking me between 45-50 to complete my Phase 2 workouts. The workout in Phase 1 are shorter but I think you have to keep in mind that this is usually an introduction to weights for people that haven't ever lifted before. I didn't know what a deadlift was until I started this program.

As far as not being sore/not lifting enough weights....I think the bigger focus should be on proper form. I thought I was killing the prone jackknives in Phase 1 because I didn't really feel challenged while I was doing them and wasn't really sore after doing them until I slowed my reps down and paused between each one. Then they kicked me butt. I've really tried to focus on slowing down my reps and feeling my muscles working while I'm lifting. That seems to make a big difference, at least for me.
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I'm starting the program tonight. I just spent the last few hours reading through this thread am very happy that I did, I learned a lot! And I'm even more excited to start than before. I am no stranger to weights but I haven't lifted for a couple years (since pre-kids). I have about 8 lbs to lose and it's all sitting around my middle right now.

Is there anyone doing this program at home? We have a full rack of barbells, a bench, a couple bars, and a selection of weights for the bars. I also have a selection of bands, a ball, and a treadmill. I really don't want to have to join the gym.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone doing this program at home?

My husband and I are doing it at home. The book gives you non-cable alternatives (although we've used our own alternates for some... pullovers, I'm looking at you) for the cable machine exercises. The rest are easy as long as you have a spotter (or appropriate equipment) for some exercises.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I've also been wondering if I really pushed myself hard enough in stage 1. Maybe I should have started with higher weights. I never felt particularly sore and I don't feel all that stronger. When I start stage 2 next I am going to try and lift as heavy as possible and go from there. Though I don't think I will be able to lift heavy for the one point rows, those look hard and there's only so much weight my hands can handle holding. I guess I'll see how it goes next week. At least I'm not alone in my thoughts about it!

I felt that way too, but I'm glad I gradually built the weights up in Stage 1. The exercises in Stage 2 are harder and I just now increased the weights - five workouts in. If it takes all that I've got to finish 10 reps of front squat push press with the oly. bar, I'm not going to increase the weights. Not until the 10 reps are easier than they should be, and by that time I'll be in Stage 3 and god only knows what they'll have me doing! :o)
  • idauria
    Options
    Can I join? I'm starting the program tonight. I just spent the last few hours reading through this thread am very happy that I did, I learned a lot! And I'm even more excited to start than before. I am no stranger to weights but I haven't lifted for a couple years (since pre-kids). I have about 8 lbs to lose and it's all sitting around my middle right now.

Is there anyone doing this program at home? We have a full rack of barbells, a bench, a couple bars, and a selection of weights for the bars. I also have a selection of bands, a ball, and a treadmill. I really don't want to have to join the gym.

I do it at home. It sounds like you have more than enough equipment to do this program. I have most of what you have and I have an elliptical instead of a treadmill. We do have to substitute/modify some of the exercises but it's still a great workout.

Welcome to the group and best of luck!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think I could have bumped up the weight quite a bit more in Stage 1 (and beyond) but I'm glad I was a bit more conservative as far as that goes since I wasn't confident about my form for many of the lifts. If nothing else, NROLFW was beneficial in that it ignited my interest in lifting "real" weights as heavy as I could go. Of course, the 30ish lb. weight loss was a nice side-benefit as well.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 2 this week and I have to say I hate it!

I feel the workouts (muscles being worked) are not as varied as Stage 1. For example, the Bulgarian split squat in A is nearly identical to B's static lunge, rear foot elevated. They're both static lunges with one foot elevated. On top of that you also do "reverse lunge from box with forward reach." Lunges, lunges and more lunges.

I find the Workout B core exercises (D and E) to be unchallenging and boring as hell. I am doing the most difficult versions of each and I don't feel like I'm working at all. I'm considering increasing the reps from 10 to 25 or 30. Or I might even skip these altogether and instead do other core exercises I've found online or on DVDs.

What are your thoughts about Stage 2? Did you follow it to the letter or did you any modifications? Thanks for your feedback.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I started Stage 2 this week and I have to say I hate it!

I feel the workouts (muscles being worked) are not as varied as Stage 1. For example, the Bulgarian split squat in A is nearly identical to B's static lunge, rear foot elevated. They're both static lunges with one foot elevated. On top of that you also do "reverse lunge from box with forward reach." Lunges, lunges and more lunges.

I find the Workout B core exercises (D and E) to be unchallenging and boring as hell. I am doing the most difficult versions of each and I don't feel like I'm working at all. I'm considering increasing the reps from 10 to 25 or 30. Or I might even skip these altogether and instead do other core exercises I've found online or on DVDs.

What are your thoughts about Stage 2? Did you follow it to the letter or did you any modifications? Thanks for your feedback.

I said virtually the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I started Stage 2.

Since then, I realized that your elevated leg in the split squat is much higher than in the static lunge and I do feel a difference, especially when I concentrate on getting the active leg to 90 degrees while squatting/lunging.

I'm subbing in prone jackknives for the swiss ball crunches and am now trying to do straight leg prone jackknives, instead of bringing my knees to my chest. I don't really feel the lateral flexion at all but I figure it's not hurting anything so I do it.

I increased the weights of the deadlifts Monday and my legs are sore today.

Maybe the workouts aren't as varied because we're supposed to add in intervals at this point, which I'm not doing because I workout on my lunch hour and don't have time. I'm doing cardio on alternate days, it'll just have to be good enough!

The good thing is - Stage 2 is short! I hear Stage 3 is a killer but I haven't even looked at it yet!
  • TluvK
    Options
    Just did my first Stage 2, Workout B. I enjoyed it, although I also couldn't do the HIIT because I only had an hour. I really enjoyed all of the workouts - those deadlifts are killer and I'm sure I'll feel them tomorrow.

Elizabeth - How do you do the lateral flexions? I can't remember how the book describes them, but today (and in my workouts I did before I started the book), I held a 40 lb dumbbell in one hand and dipped down to my knee and back up. I feel them every time I do them.

I don't particularly like the cobra, so I've been doing Superman/Banana. Anyone familiar with P90x? Superman/banana was one of my favorites. Get on your belly like you would with cobra, but have your arms in front of you like you're flying like superman - then roll over and do the same thing, but now you're on your back (don't let hands or feet touch the ground). Hold each position for a bit. Just keep rolling back and forth for 60-90 seconds. It's killer.

I also do 25 crunches and 25 reverse crunches, instead of the 10.

As for stage 3: The trainer at my gym asked me what stage I was on and I told him and he said, "just wait for stage 3" and I said I heard it was hard and he just laughed. Now I'm a little freaked out!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    :) Looks like I am in good company with Stage 2 here, hahah. I did my first Stage 2, Workout B yesterday! I didn't do the HIIT, but I run and do intervals during the week anyways, so I'm not too concerned.

I liked the deadlifts quite a bit with the slight extra range of motion. I am feeling them today, but in a good way.

What I'm *really* feeling are the dumbbell prone Cuban snatches. Holy moly. I picked up two 15 lb dumbbells at first and could barely raise them for the final part of the exercise (rotating the arm upward). So I went down to 12 lb... still no dice. Finally swallowed my pride and grabbed the 10 lb dumbbells. In retrospect I'm not even sure if my form was okay with those! (All our exercise benches face the opposite direction from the mirrors when you lie at that angle). I talked with a friend about it today and he said, "oh, yeah, most people can't do 10 lbs with rotator cuff exercises, so that's fine." Anyone else find this was the case?

I also don't think I had a high enough box for the split squat. Next time!

The lateral flexions seemed odd to me... I don't really "get" them, but like Elizabeth, I suppose it's not hurting anything to do them, so why not?

TluvK, the Superman/Banana sounds interesting, and potentially entertaining for the others around me at the gym! ;)
  • TluvK
    Options
    :) Looks like I am in good company with Stage 2 here, hahah. I did my first Stage 2, Workout B yesterday! I didn't do the HIIT, but I run and do intervals during the week anyways, so I'm not too concerned.

I liked the deadlifts quite a bit with the slight extra range of motion. I am feeling them today, but in a good way.

What I'm *really* feeling are the dumbbell prone Cuban snatches. Holy moly. I picked up two 15 lb dumbbells at first and could barely raise them for the final part of the exercise (rotating the arm upward). So I went down to 12 lb... still no dice. Finally swallowed my pride and grabbed the 10 lb dumbbells. In retrospect I'm not even sure if my form was okay with those! (All our exercise benches face the opposite direction from the mirrors when you lie at that angle). I talked with a friend about it today and he said, "oh, yeah, most people can't do 10 lbs with rotator cuff exercises, so that's fine." Anyone else find this was the case?

I also don't think I had a high enough box for the split squat. Next time!

The lateral flexions seemed odd to me... I don't really "get" them, but like Elizabeth, I suppose it's not hurting anything to do them, so why not?

TluvK, the Superman/Banana sounds interesting, and potentially entertaining for the others around me at the gym! ;)

Nice! I use the bench for the split squats - seems like a perfect height for me, although I am 5'10" so maybe that's why.

I had the same experience with the cuban snatch (such an odd name, by the way). I also started with 15 lbs each and did it, but knew my form was super crappy. So, I knocked down to 12.5 and seem to be fairing well with it. It's still hard, but I can tell my body is where it's supposed to be and I'm getting full extension. That's a toughie!

Have fun rolling around the gym next time!

How are you doing the lateral flexions? It's literally the one ab exercise I ALWAYS feel the next day in my obliques.