Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Another question. I know you can have tea/coffee/water during fasting hours but can I put a little bit of almond milk in my coffee? or should it black?

I didn't look for the exact article, but I remember Martin said he was a coffee fiend and a splash of milk won't hurt you.

Oh good, cause I'm hoping that will help with the hunger.
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options

Oh good, cause I'm hoping that will help with the hunger.

In the mornings I'll drink a diet soda, water, and a cup of coffee (which ends up being ~12 calories after non dairy coffee creamer with sugar free sweetener). I think 10-20 calories are somewhat negligible, based on my HRM from working out you can burn 10 calories in ~ a minute or less! And it helps with the hunger, it was rough for me the first week and got a lot better from there.
  • skinnyfat14
    Options

In the mornings I'll drink a diet soda, water, and a cup of coffee (which ends up being ~12 calories after non dairy coffee creamer with sugar free sweetener). I think 10-20 calories are somewhat negligible, based on my HRM from working out you can burn 10 calories in ~ a minute or less! And it helps with the hunger, it was rough for me the first week and got a lot better from there.

How long have you been doing it? did you notice results right away?
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Since I'm still a n00b with this intermittent fasting deal, I thought I'd give another update on my third completed week!

I ended up losing an additional 1lb this past week as well! Giving me a grand total of -2lbs after 3 weeks of IF where I had been in a "plateau" for ~3 months. Whether this will "stick" will be the true test, but I probably won't weigh myself for another 2 weeks (it kind of makes me crazy!)

I was pretty much perfect with the fasting this week (14-16 hours a day), except for Sunday. I went out of town with a few of my friends and we went to this famous breakfast/brunch place (I'll admit, it was delicious!) But I'm ok with it, I feel like I'm out of my element when I'm away from home but I attribute it to living life normally...haha.

During one of my workouts last week I *was* feeling a little weak (I was doing a fasted workout) but I don't think I've seen any decreases in my overall strength. As I get closer and closer to my "goal weight" and still not 100% satisfied with the results (I still have some fat I'd like to lose!) I've been really thinking about my calorie intake. I have it set to lose .5 lb a week, so I'm still in a deficit but I'm not sure if I'd benefit from lowering that number more or alternatively switching to maintenance and letting my calorie deficit be derived from exercise (i.e., just not eating exercise calories back).

For now, since I *have* been losing weight in the past few weeks, I'm going to keep things as is. Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    I would just like to say that I just hit my 15 hour mark and I'm pretty proud of that lol. Didn't think I'd make it this far. Less then an hour to go. Now that I've gotten this far I'm contemplating if I should just jump right into a 20 hour to kickstart things. The hunger isnt as bad now as it was around the 12 hour mark.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Since I'm still a n00b with this intermittent fasting deal, I thought I'd give another update on my third completed week!

I ended up losing an additional 1lb this past week as well! Giving me a grand total of -2lbs after 3 weeks of IF where I had been in a "plateau" for ~3 months. Whether this will "stick" will be the true test, but I probably won't weigh myself for another 2 weeks (it kind of makes me crazy!)

I was pretty much perfect with the fasting this week (14-16 hours a day), except for Sunday. I went out of town with a few of my friends and we went to this famous breakfast/brunch place (I'll admit, it was delicious!) But I'm ok with it, I feel like I'm out of my element when I'm away from home but I attribute it to living life normally...haha.

During one of my workouts last week I *was* feeling a little weak (I was doing a fasted workout) but I don't think I've seen any decreases in my overall strength. As I get closer and closer to my "goal weight" and still not 100% satisfied with the results (I still have some fat I'd like to lose!) I've been really thinking about my calorie intake. I have it set to lose .5 lb a week, so I'm still in a deficit but I'm not sure if I'd benefit from lowering that number more or alternatively switching to maintenance and letting my calorie deficit be derived from exercise (i.e., just not eating exercise calories back).

For now, since I *have* been losing weight in the past few weeks, I'm going to keep things as is. Because if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

congrats! don't worry about not sticking to IF everyday, i'll stick with it most days but sometimes i have biz lunches or something like that and break my fast early, no biggie. when i got leaner i had my deficit @ .25lbs a week and didn't eat exercise cals back, but then again i rarely did cardio so the exercise cals weren't a ton
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Is there a place I should begin with this group if I am just a fasting beginner?

Thanks!
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    Is there a place I should begin with this group if I am just a fasting beginner?

Thanks!

I'm a beginner too. I just jumped right into the group lol.
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! today is my first day. I have 6 hours to go.
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    I was going for 16 hours today but I'm at almost 17 already and feel really good. I'm gonna attempt to make it a 20 hour since I ate really bad on the weekend. I noticed I was really hungry around the 12 hour mark but it got a lot better after that!!! Good luck!!
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Today is going good for me. I had a banana and iced coffe which isnt the greatest but if i dont eat something when i start to feel hungry i get migraines, at least until my body is used to the fasting. Tonite i will exercise after work and then my meal will be salmon burger with no bun, avocado, a low calorie taco salad and zucchini sticks. I dont always meet my caloric requirements and im ok with that!
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    I'm just over the 18 hour mark and I'm not doing bad at all. I'm actually surpried. I thought it would be much harder.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd share this with the group. I haven't made it through the entire thing yet, but I thought it was kind of interesting. Enjoy:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I am very sad right now. I love tone it ups Karena and katrina. What all of us members od is check in on facebook or another one of their sites on what we have done or will be doing for the day. Well this mornig I posted the below and they responded. These are two peronal trainers, nutritionists in California.

ME:

Check in: Actually trying out Intermittant fasting. Doing it today. I get to eat a healthy dinner at 5:30 (because my last meal was at 5:30 yesterday) then snack before bed if needed. It's doable because you ar asleep for several hours of it and not going an entire daytime without food. Not sure if I should workout though? Have been drinking green tea and water and will be doing that all day. :)

Them:

Tone It Up when you stop eating for an extended period of time, your body responds by slowing the metabolism.. the exact opposite of what we are trying to achieve by eating frequently and exercising!
    about an hour ago ·

Me:

Jeanine Carrison Schumm I'm sorry. I have just been trying new things that I hear about and have been researching to see what works for me. Didn't mean to offend you. I feel really bad. I'm just trying to see what works. :( This info was given to me off myfitnesspal and leangains.com.

Me:
    Jeanine Carrison Schumm You two have been a big part of my determination in the last month. The last thing I want to do is upset you or offend anyone. I see info that works for someone and wonder if it would work for me. :( That's all. Make sme want to cry now actually.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am very sad right now. I love tone it ups Karena and katrina. What all of us members od is check in on facebook or another one of their sites on what we have done or will be doing for the day. Well this mornig I posted the below and they responded. These are two peronal trainers, nutritionists in California.

ME:

Check in: Actually trying out Intermittant fasting. Doing it today. I get to eat a healthy dinner at 5:30 (because my last meal was at 5:30 yesterday) then snack before bed if needed. It's doable because you ar asleep for several hours of it and not going an entire daytime without food. Not sure if I should workout though? Have been drinking green tea and water and will be doing that all day. :)

Them:

Tone It Up when you stop eating for an extended period of time, your body responds by slowing the metabolism.. the exact opposite of what we are trying to achieve by eating frequently and exercising!
    about an hour ago ·

Me:

Jeanine Carrison Schumm I'm sorry. I have just been trying new things that I hear about and have been researching to see what works for me. Didn't mean to offend you. I feel really bad. I'm just trying to see what works. :( This info was given to me off myfitnesspal and leangains.com.

Me:
    Jeanine Carrison Schumm You two have been a big part of my determination in the last month. The last thing I want to do is upset you or offend anyone. I see info that works for someone and wonder if it would work for me. :( That's all. Make sme want to cry now actually.

It's really too bad when high profile people spread the conventional nonsense, I mean conventional wisdom.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I'm just reaslly upset as they have been a huge part of my determination. It seems after reading so much on here and on leangains that it all makes sense to me. 8 years ago i lost a lot of weight without trying. I wasn't stressed as I didn't care if I even lost. When I look back on it I don't think I ever really ate much breakfast (thus the 18/6) and ate simply when I was hungry. I ate what I wanted. I went down to under 109 lbs! So I just feel in my gut there is something to this but why wouldn't they agree if they are trainers & nuttitionists. They are saying the opposite once again.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm interested in this, as I like doing juice fasting (which I understand is completely different). I'm still feeling skeptical, but I will keep doing my research :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I'm just reaslly upset as they have been a huge part of my determination. It seems after reading so much on here and on leangains that it all makes sense to me. 8 years ago i lost a lot of weight without trying. I wasn't stressed as I didn't care if I even lost. When I look back on it I don't think I ever really ate much breakfast (thus the 18/6) and ate simply when I was hungry. I ate what I wanted. I went down to under 109 lbs! So I just feel in my gut there is something to this but why wouldn't they agree if they are trainers & nuttitionists. They are saying the opposite once again.

As with all fields there are more knowledgeable folk and less knowledgeable. If they have been doing it for a while, then it's likely they studied a fair while ago where it was common practice to teach the benefits of eating frequently. The studies done on intermittent fasting are relatively recent. As well as that, could be a public liability issue if they are giving out advice to fast and people take it to the extreme and just don't eat for VERY long periods of time.

As was said, studies have shown a slow down in metabolism after 72hrs so unless you plan on not eating for 3 days then it's no issue.

edit: leangains now has a fan page to ask questions/post recipes etc.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leangains/116211138487297
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

As with all fields there are more knowledgeable folk and less knowledgeable. If they have been doing it for a while, then it's likely they studied a fair while ago where it was common practice to teach the benefits of eating frequently. The studies done on intermittent fasting are relatively recent. As well as that, could be a public liability issue if they are giving out advice to fast and people take it to the extreme and just don't eat for VERY long periods of time.

As was said, studies have shown a slow down in metabolism after 72hrs so unless you plan on not eating for 3 days then it's no issue.

edit: leangains now has a fan page to ask questions/post recipes etc.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leangains/116211138487297

Thankyou. Since they posted that I have googled a lot on IF and everything points to what I have learned on here and leangains.com. They are leading about 30,000 people so it does make sense what you said. Thankyou. I feel better. I just read this article and thought it was a good one to post.

http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd share this with the group. I haven't made it through the entire thing yet, but I thought it was kind of interesting. Enjoy:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Good read. I was expecting Berardi to be bashing on the IF as he was one of the guys promoting eating every 3 hrs in the past.