Senior Golden Sneakers............October

Options

Replies

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon All, Sorry I've been away so much but not only am I doing radiation now but we are in the midst of birthdays and my sister visiting. All fun things!!! Radiation is going well so far, thank goodness. 15 treatments to go.

On a sadder note, my dh's 99 year old aunt passed away this week. Sad because we'll miss her, but not sad as she was ready to go. She was in her own home and quite healthy for 98.5+ years, so she did very well. The last 6 months not so much and she told us all she was ready to go. She got her wish, dear thing. How we will miss her.

On a happier note, we had so much fun at our 2 yrear grandson's birthday party yesterday. We laughed and laughed. What great fun. On Tuesday we'll have another birthday party for one of our other grandson's who is also turning 2 and our granddaughter who is turning 11. That will be lots of fun too.

Have a wonderful day.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]590935ankbyj1xx4.gif

It would be lovely if our rain were falling in colors, but it is simply another dreary rainy day here in sunny Florida. Well, we really need it before the dry season arrives a bit late this year. Then, we pray for rain!

PHOEBE, what are your doldrums from? Anything we can do to cheer you up? :blushing: I miss your upbeat personalilty, so I feel we're letting you down, luv!

CHRIS, 17 Day sounds a lot like South Beach, which also has that initial push without carbs. I guess if we make up our minds to stick it out, we shall lose :drinker: ! I haven't really put my resolve in place, even though I wake up every day determined to stick with it! Are you attempting to try doing graphics yet?

BARBIE, I'm glad I don't love Mexican food any longer, as I remember my gluttony when we had great restaurants on LI and I had to have chimichangas and chips and all the tasty foods they served! I don't dare go back to that! Greek is even too much , but only due to the sodium content. I swell up but Mike loves it so we go occasionally.

MARIE, you have the patience of Job! Your cooking and quilting are amazing!

SANDY, I keep thinking about you sister; please let us know how she and you are feeling. and tell her we keep her well-being in our thoughts!

SHIRLEY...tough to give up boating season, eh? But you're doing fine with your exercises, and you and I can try to encourage each other on South Beach...eventually! :wink:

JERI, nice to hear from you and your grandson's party yesterday. I must say, if I live to your dh's late aunt's age and condition, I will happily leave this world for our inheritors! Now for you, we all hope your next 15 treatments go just as well. Enjoy all the celebrations coming up :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

BECKY, with new workers to share your load, I hope you and your daughter get to enjoy time together at you Y. Such a lovely way to have togetherness. A happy belated birthday to her! ...And welcome to the Wrong Key Club! That's why I try to open in a new window! Aaaaggh!

Am I mistaken, or are we missing a good number of our group lately? Has CONNIE left us? I know MADDIE is lurking, I miss Elli (L.E.) and several others I no longer see here. Would be nice to know they are all well. Well, I must go off into the drizzle and get my chores done, so manana, y'all :bigsmile:

Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hello Sneakers :heart:

I thought I'd better catch up with you all in the October thread before I lost you to November!! I'm sorry I've not been checking in with you all but I seem to have been so busy with visitors, work I do as a volunteer for an association and autumn clearing outside and on the allotment as well as now in the house. I'm out for most of tomorrow but will then get back to reading everyone's posts and letting you all know what I'm up to. I do hope everyone is well but will find that out when I have my read through.

Missed you but hopefully now back in the fold.

Jackie:flowerforyou:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    I have been to a lot of places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone. I've also never been in Cognito, either. I hear no one recognizes you there. I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump and I'm not much on physical activity. I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Funny but true!!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Jackie so nice to see a post from you. I knew you have not forgotten us. Dearly missed you. Don't stay away to long next time. But never the Less it ia always a pleaure to hear from you.

Shirley that quilt is getting the best of me. . These old shoulder and wrist Not like what they used to be.

We have been missing a few around here and they are missed. I have not been on as much as I used to be.

We are to have a cold front in tonight. Looking forward to it. Has anybody seen any
    snow yet? Not me.

Jeri fthat time will past in a hurry. It did for my husband. He had more problems after it was all done. I think it really burn his throat.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    Sandy, you are a riot :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    On a sad note my niece called and told me my sister is diagnosed with non Hodgkin's lymphoma stage 4. They are admitting her to the hospital on Monday to try and build up her immune system for some strong chemo on Tuesday. The doctor is pessimistic and told my sister to keep a positive attitude. Please keep her in your prayers

After reading an email from Jeri I realized that I used the wrong word and meant to say the doctor's are optimistic and told my sister to ask one of his patients who was there at the time why she was back after being cured two years ago and told my sister it is because she is not happy with all the weight she gained since being sick. :laugh: She went into the hospital today so they could build up her immune system before starting heavy duty chemo tomorrow. I am in touch with my nieces and told them I am there for whatever they need. I had hoped to go to the hospital today but my niece asked that I wait for a return call from her so they can find out exactly what procedures they are going to do and when. I told her I would be happy to sit with my sister while she has the chemo tomorrow but will wait and do as they ask. I am hoping for a miracle and with Jeri telling me her brother in law had the same and beat it I am very optimistic as well. Thanks for your concern and keep her in your prayers.

Still busy and plan to be very busy from Thursday to Sunday. When my daughter and granddaughter come in Thursday we will have game night that evening, Friday picking up my step daughter's husband from the airport, Saturday we are all going to Fright Fest at Great America and Sunday my daughter leaves in the morning and we will take Dave to dinner at Phil's that afternoon. Dave leaves early Monday morning and then I plan to rest. :yawn: I also have some routine doctor's appointments scheduled in the nest couple of weeks and plan to call the ortho to have my knees re evaluated.

Don't give up on me....................even if I am eating a little comfort food I am still trying to watch.
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options
    I have been to a lot of places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone. I've also never been in Cognito, either. I hear no one recognizes you there. I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump and I'm not much on physical activity. I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Funny but true!!!

Perfect!!!

I am off to another kid's bd party tomorrow. Hot dogs and hamburgers for supper. I think that is it for a bit. Hard to lose weight with all of that.. But then, I am concentrating on eating healthy and no worrying about weight loss right now. Time for that after I am all over this breast cancer journey.

Take care everyone and live each day to its fullest.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: It’s applesauce time again. This is the third year that I’ve gotten lots of apples from a friend to make applesauce to freeze. The first two years we picked up the apples after they had been picked and last year I told her that we could pick the apples so she wouldn’t have to do all that work. So yesterday she called and said there were apples ready to be picked. I wished I’d saved some cardboard boxes from moving because it was a challenge to find boxes to put the apples in but we were successful. I have the first batch on the stove right now and will make a few batches every day until the apples are all turned into applesauce.

:flowerforyou: Becky, you are so right to be grateful for your job when so many people are out of work. I felt that way about my job from the moment I got it after being selected from a dozen people interviewed. The gratitude helped me get through days when the job was most stressful. Is your 18 year old daughter your last child at home?

:flowerforyou: Chris, they told me that the very best food plan is the one you’ll follow so if you like yours and will follow it, then it’s the best. Planning helps. Congrats on the weight you’ve lost so far.

:flowerforyou: Buzz, your friend is so lucky to have you to help her. When we go for Mexican food which isn’t too often, I order something without meat and have whole beans instead of refried. We couldn’t decide where to go to dinner with our friend so we wrote the names of five good choices on little pieces of paper and put them in a bowl and drew one out to make the decision (the other choices were Thai, Indian, Chinese, and Diner)

:flowerforyou: Shirley, one of the biggest hurdles on the weight loss path is learning to say no to the treats that other people bring.

:flowerforyou: Jeri, sorry to hear about your dh’s aunt. It sounds like she lived a great life. I admire your positive attitude about your radiation. I’ll be sending healthy thoughts your way

:flowerforyou: Jackie,, I’ve missed you but I’m glad to hear that you’ve been busy with good things.

:flowerforyou: Marie, I know you’ll get that quilt done. Slow and steady wins the race.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, your whole family is lucky to have you. You are there for everyone, in sickness and in health
  • Jake45
    Jake45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Sandy,:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you have the best stories :bigsmile:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, the 18 year old is my youngest. Her 19 year old sister still lives at home. Sigh....how do we get this adult children to go out on their own. Or at least, find full time employment not just part time.

:flowerforyou: Jeri, you don't need to have weight loss as a goal to eat healthy. I would stay away from those hotdogs. I would have a hard time eating those. Think of all that is in them.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, what an inspiration your are with your busy life. That is the way to stay young.:heart:

I have not been doing very good at eating healthy and exercising but my weight is still holding. I got to my weight class 10 minutes late last night. So, that left just the instructor and her mother to take the class. Well, when this happens they leave and go do something else. I should get out my stretch band and get a workout here at work. Or, I can stay here and chat.:bigsmile:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Jeri: My thoughts are with you as you go through radiation.:heart:
    :bigsmile: Barbie: I know my willpower has been fading. I am too comfortable at this weight
    and I need to go further. I seem to stop after clothing fits good and I feel
    good. I still have to lose more so the journey continues. :ohwell:
    :bigsmile: Sandy: You have the greatest sense of humor. Never stop. You are an inspiration
    to us all. If only I could get to my goal weight and just maintain. It seems I
    can already do that because I am not losing :sad:
    :bigsmile: Becky: How is the hiring going? I hope you find someone soon.

Well two people in the office have colds already and I am trying to stay away from them the best I can. :ohwell:
    Sunny today so a walk this afternoon will happen and I can get some sunshine.
    I will be cleaning up the gardens this weekend since the rain will stop by the weekend and
    get decorating for Halloween. :wink:

<<<<We can do no great things, only small things with great love>>>>Mother Theresa
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORINING SENIORS

Last night I went to the quilt guild here, I hadn't been there for 3 years. It was so good to see old friends again, everyone was so happy to see me. We got a pattern from one quilter for table napkins, and its easy. So tomorrow I will make some.

Today may day will be great. I am going to the chiropractor since my headaches haven't stopped for 2 weeks. Then I will walk and go to the mall and pick up a couple of things. Then I will meet my friend for lunch at the senior center in town. After lunch they have BINGO, and I haven't played bingo for years, so we will stay. Then I am thinking about getting my hair cut.

Tonight I am going to make some apple crisps and freeze them. We are thinking of going to visit our daughter this weekend, so I will bring some there. Then tomorrow I better make some more applesauce. We are still eating our pears, I keep them in the garage unitl it gets to cold.

Well, I hope your day is a happy one, take care,
    Chris
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    It is so nice to hear how your days is going.

mine is going fine. my sewing machine broke down last night So got to take it in too the shop today.
    I wonder what happen to it ? I guess running over a safety pin might be my problems..............I had to grab a long sleeve shirt this morning.

It is so nice and cool here this morning. Just got to love it..............................I had to grab a long sleeve shirt this morning.

Sandy you and your sister is always in my thoughts. Take care.

The same with Irene and Jeri very wonderful Sneakers.

I love hearing what Chris is up to. she stays so busy.

Becky is a little darling

Barbiecat Busy making applesauce again, Do any of you make chow chow. I used to buy some at the store and it was so good with my pinto beans.. But can't find them anymore. Guess i will googlei t and see if I can find a recipe for some.

Gayla,............Had any snow yet?........................ Phoebe How is the KItties......................, Judy How is Jake doing.. and i your husband doing OK.......................... Hello I see Judy on Phoebe on facebook some.
    .............Jackie so good to hear from you the other day...............Shirley. ........Do you have Snow days from work. or do you just drive on in............................

Have a happy day and enjoy life to the fullest/
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AWWW Marie, I hope your sewing machine gets fixed quickly and cheaply. You must be missing it.

Chris, your life is so full. That is the way to be.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Shirley, I never thought of it that way....we get comfortable with our weight. That has been my problem in the past. I feel good and then the pounds start coming back.

I believe that we have another employee but all sorts of hurdles have been keeping her from starting. One day was lost because her horses got out. Now we are waiting for her drug screening. She may not start until Friday. The supervisor is taking Friday and Monday off. So, that will leave just me and a girl who is not trained!!! Looks like we may be closing down shop. :grumble:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]1601411c71vk4k028.gif

All's well, just tired!

Buzz
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all from sunny Saskatchewan! Marie, You bite your tongue about that white stuff!! I am hoping the snow stays away for another month, at least! I still need to clean out my garden and planters. It does seem to freeze hard every night but the days are lovely. It is garbage day tomorrow so I need to get my freezer cleaned. My plan is to do it after dinner. I am cooking some chicken thighs for dinner but not sure what to serve with them yet. Neil has been complaining of a sore throat for the last few days so I made a Dr. appt. for him for Thursday. I will not take him to a walk-in clinic as he just has too much going on.

Sandy -- You have been in my thoughts. I did love your little story. I voted for you and hope you win the buffet tickets. Yum.

Buzz -- Did you ever get on the Panama cruise that you spoke of awhile ago. It remains on our bucket list. We were thinking about a quick Vegas trip but our holidays always seem to get put on hold. I am going to Quebec City in December but do hope to go somewhere warm in Jan. or Feb., perhaps an all-inclusive. We have never done one and not sure it is for us but I guess we should try it. Any suggestions? I want to book something so that is a done deal no matter what pops up!!

Jeri -- How are the treatments going? I am sure it is good to have them started.

Phoebe -- I remember that you were feeling blue. I hope that you are feeling more like yourself. I sure wish you could just come for coffee and have a good chat. How are the cats?

Shirley -- Enjoy your last few days in the garden. It is always a little sad to pull up the garden. I do love the changing seasons. The trees are still so beautiful although the wind has been blowing some leaves around.

Oh, I really need to get to the library so I better scoot before it closes. Have a good day everyone. Take care. Gayla :heart:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Hi all. All of the kittens and the mother are in the house tonight. whee!! The last two were spayed today. They seem to be doing ok, we have pain meds for them, and antibiotics. Giving pills to most cats is my least favorite thing to do. Only my Budda, my big boy, is good about them, he just opens his mouth when I nudge him a bit.

It is about to cool down seriously here in the next few days. I think I'm glad. I hope to do some walking around home. We have not completely dropped our eating plan, but we aren't exactly following it faithfully :blushing:

We've both cut back on many foods, and I keep forgetting to drink grapefruit juice.

Marie, that's a shame about your sewing machine. I hope you get it fixed easily. my reverse hasn't worked for several years, I keep saying I'll get it fixed.. haha

We got our new stove today, and cooked on it tonight. I must say, I like it better than the glass cooktop.. the old coils heat up quickly, and I don't have to guess what type of pan to use.. they all work on the coils!!

I have to finish loading audiobooks onto my player, it takes all of my poor computers' energy to do that, so I need to sign off from here.

Night all,

p.s. thanks Gayla, that would be great. Love ya
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options

:flowerforyou: Jeri, you don't need to have weight loss as a goal to eat healthy. I would stay away from those hotdogs. I would have a hard time eating those. Think of all that is in them.
    :

You are right about the hot dogs. However my dd reminded me that it was a kids bd party and we had to serve foods they would enjoy. LOL. Enough said, hot dogs or hamburgers for all of us. LOL. Oh well, we also had fresh veggies and juice.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: the fall leaves are so beautiful here. We have so many trees and bushes in our neighborhood with leaves that turn colors. Walking with the dogs is such a pleasure. It is hard for me to understand all the people who leave Washington this time of year to go south to Arizona or somewhere. I love living in the north where we have all the seasons. I zipped the lining into my coat this morning. Morning temperatures have been in the high 30's with some frost on the roofs and cars. None of that white stuff yet and probably not until late November.

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, I had a glass cooktop in the last four houses (two different stoves) and I loved it. This house has regular coils and it works great. I don't miss the glass cooktop at all. I think I just got it because it looked good but I could never keep it clean and shiny enough.

:bigsmile: Becky, our kids couldn't wait to leave home so we never had to wonder when they'd leave.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: my freezer is starting to fill with applesauce.....this is a happy time.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: