<3 support group for women eating 2000+ calories per day <3

Options

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to join in on this group. I hope to be able to learn a lot, get some support, and give back where I can. Within the last two months I have increased my calorie intake. I am now at 1830 plus exercise calories. I have done a ton of reading and searching through threads to become more informed. I think my body is holding on to what I am feeding it because I continue to gain even though I know I am not eating more than my tdee (I wear a bodymedia, so I know my tdee). Has anyone else experienced this? I keep thinking that anytime now my body is going to trust that I am feeding it and start letting go of the fat. I am not so concerned about the number on the scale as I am about the bf% and fitting in my clothes again. I am frustrated but I don't want to give up on this because you all are living proof that it works!

Hi Welcome :)

hi a quick reply with my phone.

Ahhhhh this explains it!!! The reason why u are gaining is because you started lifting heavy!!! When u do this your muscles in an attempt to repair itself & grow (from the demands u are placing on them) hold on to water. Muscles will retain an enormous amount of water. When I have some more time I'll find some documentation to support this and post it here. Keep lifting heavy in the meantime. Also keep an eye on your measurements. Give this new heavy lifting & eating program a good chance & don't get disheartened. Same sort of thing happened to me. I started lifting heavy my scale weight slowed way down but I was losing heaps
    of centimeters. People kept telling me I was fading away

I'm in a hurry atm off to the gym soon. Just a quick question... In the last 2 months have you also increased your exercise workload or started exercise? There could be a number of reasons. I have some other questions I want to ask you as well but have to run now.

ttyl :)
    [/quote]

I do weights 3 days and hiit the other 2 or 3 days in between. I have done this for quite some time, so I haven't really changed my routine. The thing I have changed though, is that I started lifting heavier on my lifting days. I realized that I was being a wimp at the gym...haha! I know that I have gained strength because I have increased my weights over time, but I also know that I probably will not be gaining muscle mass because I am eating at a deficit......
    [/quote]
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    spoiledwife...i hope you like it. I'd use a smallish pan for it because it's not super thick since i cook only for myself and always plan on eating ALL of it. HAHA. Such a little oinker. Thats okay though, I burn it off :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Tastiest thing yesterday definitely had to be the Ben & Jerry's Imagine Whirled Peace ice cream...NOM. I have it on almost every spike day. :) Came in at 2,879 calories yesterday but since I ran I still ended up with a deficit of 989 calories. WIN! Going back down to around 2,000 for the rest of the week though.

Tastiest thing I plan to eat today is a whole avocado, sliced with a wedge of lime squeezed over it plus some fresh ground sea salt & black pepper. NOM.

For recommended intake, I like WebMD's Personal Diet Evaluator. I think it gives a pretty decent estimate of what your intake should be because it has a questionnaire you go through to get an idea of what your goals are & your activity level & such. I like to redo it every few months. I just ran through it recently & it put me at about 1900, so I'm sticking with 1900-2000.

This is seriously my favorite group I've found here so far! Maybe we should call it the Food Lovers group instead...I kinda think calling this a "support group" implies this way of eating is a problem. It's not a problem for me...I can stop anytime I want to. ;)
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    QUESTION:

Tastiest thing you will eat today and tastiest thing you ate yesterday?

Well I've just eaten a slice of chocolate and coffee cake that we bought from the patisserie yesterday, and it was very nice, so we will see if the game bird casserole I've got in the slow cooker beats that (probably not). Yesterday? Probably the German schwartzbrot that we got at the market (along with the game bird casserole mix and the veg).

Ran 9.6km yesterday (6 miles ish). I've been out on the bike for two hours today, 1500 calories according to my garmin. The garmin is a 305, and I agree with the others who find them very useful.
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    For recommended intake, I like WebMD's Personal Diet Evaluator. I think it gives a pretty decent estimate of what your intake should be because it has a questionnaire you go through to get an idea of what your goals are & your activity level & such. I like to redo it every few months. I just ran through it recently & it put me at about 1900, so I'm sticking with 1900-2000.

This is seriously my favorite group I've found here so far! Maybe we should call it the Food Lovers group instead...I kinda think calling this a "support group" implies this way of eating is a problem. It's not a problem for me...I can stop anytime I want to. ;)

Thanks for the site suggestion. I just took it and it was pretty on-par. However, for someone at maintenance, I had to alter some goals on the questionnaire. S'ok, I get the gist of it anyway. It was pretty detailed and the plan offered at the end of the questionnaire explained things well.

This group definitely frees you from the hang-ups of eating less. I love it. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    NOW THIS IS A GROUP I NEED TO JOIN! Hi guys! I'm a fitness instructor and I almost always burn at least 500-over 1000 calories a day in working out. I have a lot of muscle, but no matter what I do I can't seem to lose any more weight. I'm 5ft 6 153 pounds. I wear a 4/6 pant small top. I'd like to get into the 140's and have some wiggle room. I'm always wondering if I'm eating too much or two little. I actually have a bodybugg a friend gave me, but it's under her name and after hours with technical support I gave up or trying to switch it to me. Any advice would be great. So glad to have found you!

Well if you're burning 500-1000 calories a day with exercise alone....you'd want to add that to your sedentary burn..I'm going to guess your age at 30 ...it won't make HUGE difference.

1489 (BMR) x 1.2 (sedentary) = 1786

So you're probably burning about 2250-2750 calories a day. Since you're about 10 from goal...I'd say a 250-500 deficit is the maximum you'd want to have. So you should be eating a bare minimum of about 1800 calories and as much as 2300 on days when you're burning 1000 calories.

When you're in the healthy weight range your body is more resistant to losing weight. It sucks but it's just a protection mechanism. You put in more effort and increase your calorie deficits yet the scale gets stuck...it's because our body fights to preserve a certain level of body fat/ weight. You can break through it by tricking your body, raising your metabolic rate by building more muscle, changing up your workouts, and keeping a small deficit.

I hope this helps. Remember, that these are only estimates, of course, and it takes trial and error but you will not gain eating 1800-2300 if you're working out that much and you might finally bust through your plateau! Good luck :)
    Thanks so much for your help! Would this be 1800-2300 NET or just all together? Thanks!!!!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    mmm cheesecake....

Hi ladies, just a quick note from me today!!

Had a fabulous run yesterday and managed some great lifting today! Weighing each morning as I do and I'm losing about 200g a day...will wait for the weekly weigh in to assess, I just don't want to lose too fast!

Have ordered NROLFW so can't wait for that to arrive!! Would love a bodymedia thingee, but don't know where I'd get one from in NZ....plus I've recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner, new workout clothes, oodles of clothes (as mine keep falling off!!), and a new barbell, dumbbells and weight plates, so perhaps I better let hubby buy himself something special hehe ;)

Have a great day all!

Psych

When are you starting NROLFW? I ordered it about a month ago, read it through twice and I'm planning on starting next weekend. I finally finished P90x on Thursday!

Cant wait to hear how you both like NROLFW!! I am al ost halfway through round 2 of p90x and was thinking of doing either that or chalean extreme next. Keep us posted!!!

Today I did p90x back/biceps/arx plus a extra 20 min HIIT on the treadmill to try to get this plateau taken care of. I had a big breakfast but still struggling to figure out how I can get up to 2000 without having something too fatty, too many carbs or protein...what does that leave lol, not much. I planned out my day and have already reached protein intake, and I am really trying to keep fat and carbs down, so not sure what to have.....maybe some peanut butter even though its high in fat...

Tastiest thing I had yesterday: PB& J ( iam a peanut butter addict)
    Tastiest thing I will have today: not sure yet, either peanut butter or I may have a lara bar, otherwise it will be my evening snack which is fat free plain yogurt with agave/flax seed and wheat germ.

I have to say I have actually gained about 1 pound since trying to increase my calories, but I was low for soo long that maybe my metabolism is effed up. I am loving this thread and plan on continuing to hit 2000 daily!!!! You guys rock!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Tastiest thing I ate yesterday: Sushi! :drinker:

Tastiest thing I will eat today: Well, I am going to make some garlicky roasted butternut squash with some baked salmon (maybe maple baked salmon), so I hope it's all delicious! :bigsmile:
    Options
    NOW THIS IS A GROUP I NEED TO JOIN! Hi guys! I'm a fitness instructor and I almost always burn at least 500-over 1000 calories a day in working out. I have a lot of muscle, but no matter what I do I can't seem to lose any more weight. I'm 5ft 6 153 pounds. I wear a 4/6 pant small top. I'd like to get into the 140's and have some wiggle room. I'm always wondering if I'm eating too much or two little. I actually have a bodybugg a friend gave me, but it's under her name and after hours with technical support I gave up or trying to switch it to me. Any advice would be great. So glad to have found you!

Well if you're burning 500-1000 calories a day with exercise alone....you'd want to add that to your sedentary burn..I'm going to guess your age at 30 ...it won't make HUGE difference.

1489 (BMR) x 1.2 (sedentary) = 1786

So you're probably burning about 2250-2750 calories a day. Since you're about 10 from goal...I'd say a 250-500 deficit is the maximum you'd want to have. So you should be eating a bare minimum of about 1800 calories and as much as 2300 on days when you're burning 1000 calories.

When you're in the healthy weight range your body is more resistant to losing weight. It sucks but it's just a protection mechanism. You put in more effort and increase your calorie deficits yet the scale gets stuck...it's because our body fights to preserve a certain level of body fat/ weight. You can break through it by tricking your body, raising your metabolic rate by building more muscle, changing up your workouts, and keeping a small deficit.

I hope this helps. Remember, that these are only estimates, of course, and it takes trial and error but you will not gain eating 1800-2300 if you're working out that much and you might finally bust through your plateau! Good luck :)
    Thanks so much for your help! Would this be 1800-2300 NET or just all together? Thanks!!!!

1800-2300 altogether! :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH!! :flowerforyou:
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    mmm cheesecake....

Hi ladies, just a quick note from me today!!

Had a fabulous run yesterday and managed some great lifting today! Weighing each morning as I do and I'm losing about 200g a day...will wait for the weekly weigh in to assess, I just don't want to lose too fast!

Have ordered NROLFW so can't wait for that to arrive!! Would love a bodymedia thingee, but don't know where I'd get one from in NZ....plus I've recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner, new workout clothes, oodles of clothes (as mine keep falling off!!), and a new barbell, dumbbells and weight plates, so perhaps I better let hubby buy himself something special hehe ;)

Have a great day all!

Psych

When are you starting NROLFW? I ordered it about a month ago, read it through twice and I'm planning on starting next weekend. I finally finished P90x on Thursday!

Cant wait to hear how you both like NROLFW!! I am al ost halfway through round 2 of p90x and was thinking of doing either that or chalean extreme next. Keep us posted!!!

Today I did p90x back/biceps/arx plus a extra 20 min HIIT on the treadmill to try to get this plateau taken care of. I had a big breakfast but still struggling to figure out how I can get up to 2000 without having something too fatty, too many carbs or protein...what does that leave lol, not much. I planned out my day and have already reached protein intake, and I am really trying to keep fat and carbs down, so not sure what to have.....maybe some peanut butter even though its high in fat...

Tastiest thing I had yesterday: PB& J ( iam a peanut butter addict)
    Tastiest thing I will have today: not sure yet, either peanut butter or I may have a lara bar, otherwise it will be my evening snack which is fat free plain yogurt with agave/flax seed and wheat germ.

I have to say I have actually gained about 1 pound since trying to increase my calories, but I was low for soo long that maybe my metabolism is effed up. I am loving this thread and plan on continuing to hit 2000 daily!!!! You guys rock!

I'm planning on starting NROLFW on Saturday or Sunday and I'm so excited. I've been anxiously re-reading the book, trying to decide what weights to use and planning out my workout tracking sheets.

Also I am a PB addict as well. I am literally helpless in front of a jar of peanut butter, it's quite pathetic actually, but I'll never give it up.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ...then you might like to try my favorite bedtime snack, Peanut Butter Cream:

1 scoop whey protein
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    2.5 tbsp unsweetened almond milk

Mix until smooth & enjoy!

315 calories, 17g fat, 4g net carbs, 31g protein
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website, stubbysticks! I just did the quiz and it seems that I should be on track with what I'm doing. It has me at TDEE to maintain my current weight at 2437 and I eat 1800-2000 per day depending on my activity level for that day. So that seems right.

Love4fit-How small of a pan? I'm gonna try this soon :) Do you know the cals, etc. off hand? I'm too lazy to put it into the recipe thing right now.

Off to watch football so I hope I'm not over for the day and no exercise besides riding my horse and I didn't work to hard :)

Caio
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    And oishii I agree there's something whacky going on but I'm so jealous of you I don't even want to speculate what it is -- oh ok I will, is it possible you overestimate how much you eat? ever tried going pure food-scale for a week to see? (like weighing everything?). And every time I see your name I think of eating ANYWAY. Nnngh. Also - on the off chance you're currently living in Japan even though your profile doesn't say that, as far as I can tell Japanese calorie tags are whacked out and put in everything at WAY higher calories than they are (which I noticed because I was inputting some soba and the english import label didn't match the Japanese one so I researched like crazy and the english one seemed more accurate) AND they base it on a 2300 calorie/day diet which seems massively high for an average tiny Japanese person.

I know that's a wild speculation based entirely on your name but there you go.

I'm back in the UK now, having lived in Japan from '99 to 2002. My dh is Japanese, so my lovely MIL sends regular food parcels. Interesting what you said about the calorie counts. I am forever trying to work out the calories in random red bean delicacies :laugh:

I've wondered about trying to stay completely measurable for a while, but I wouldn't want to feel tied to making food choices depending on how easy the calories were to judge. I'd have to choose the chain pub over the local restaurant, and the mass-produced chocolate bar over the lovingly hand-made cupcake. That's not who I want to be, putting calories before pleasure...

Every time I've tried to keep to a calorie target below 2450, I have, eventually, started to lose again. I wondered if the very act of monitoring caused me to lose, but now 2450 seems to be the magic number.

Best thing I ate yesterday? I was expecting it to be the chocolate torte with the chocolate sorbet from my favourite restaurant, but, in fact it was the shallot tarte tatin that preceded it.

Today? Maybe the Cocoa Banana Bread I baked with my son (he was so helpful!) or perhaps the red wine I'm fancying.

Not so hungry today, and want to do the Shred tonight, so might not reach my target. I have to watch myself though. A little part of me misses weight loss, but most of me doesn't fancy getting any skinnier, so I mustn't let that little bit of me go playing any tricks :laugh:
    Options
    Thanks for the website, stubbysticks! I just did the quiz and it seems that I should be on track with what I'm doing. It has me at TDEE to maintain my current weight at 2437 and I eat 1800-2000 per day depending on my activity level for that day. So that seems right.

Love4fit-How small of a pan? I'm gonna try this soon :) Do you know the cals, etc. off hand? I'm too lazy to put it into the recipe thing right now.

Off to watch football so I hope I'm not over for the day and no exercise besides riding my horse and I didn't work to hard :)

Caio

i believe it's about 1225 calories...I don't pack the brown sugar. I also have added about 1 tbsp light butter to the graham cracker crumbs so that they are more like a crust which bumps the cals up to 1270. I use a 6inch round pan. It's not a huge cheesecake...kinda thin but tasty.
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I've been following this thread with interest and it seems that you are all living proof of what I've slowly come to realise :flowerforyou:

I've yo-yo dieted for years and every time I've crashed and burned simply because I can't fight the cravings that go with a low calorie diet. Plus I struggle with low fat because if I cut down too much it makes my joints hurt.

I started ok on here, losing a pound a week for the first few weeks, then I stayed the same for the next few. I didn't want to stress about it, so I put myself on maintenance (2010 per day), upped the exercise and lo and behold, I lost a pound! Then another one!

So, as a little experiment, I've changed my settings to half a pound loss (1760 cals) and I'm doing between 60 and 90 minutes each day on the treadmill, eating some if not all of my exercise calories and weigh day is tomorrow. I'm netting roughly 2000-2200 calories a day so it will be interesting to see if I get a loss this week.

I like food too much to martyr myself to less than 1500 a day so I'll be chuffed to bits if I can lose weight, get fitter and healthier and still eat my face off :wink:

So, you've lost weight eating MORE? I tell you, there's so much more to calories in/calories out than what it seems. The calories out component is drastically affected by how much we put in. If you effectively shut down your metabolism then you're not getting the calories out that you would if you simply ate more. So yeah, it might still be calories in/calories out but that out component can be drastically affected (negatively) with starvation diets.

So glad that you've found us! I would love to know what your results were this week. How much were you eating when you first started?

Well, the experiment was successful - I lost a pound this week so I'm sticking with the ladies with appetites! th_thumbsup.gif
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    So yesterday I ate around 2130....the most I have ever put away. At first I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.

But today, I feel a lot better. :huh: Not as tired, or as sore.

You ladies may just be my hero's. Now if I just don't put on a bunch of weight until my body becomes used to it. <3 Food :love:
  • kaitlynnme
    kaitlynnme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to join in on this group. I hope to be able to learn a lot, get some support, and give back where I can. Within the last two months I have increased my calorie intake. I am now at 1830 plus exercise calories. I have done a ton of reading and searching through threads to become more informed. I think my body is holding on to what I am feeding it because I continue to gain even though I know I am not eating more than my tdee (I wear a bodymedia, so I know my tdee). Has anyone else experienced this? I keep thinking that anytime now my body is going to trust that I am feeding it and start letting go of the fat. I am not so concerned about the number on the scale as I am about the bf% and fitting in my clothes again. I am frustrated but I don't want to give up on this because you all are living proof that it works!

Hi Welcome :)

hi a quick reply with my phone.

Ahhhhh this explains it!!! The reason why u are gaining is because you started lifting heavy!!! When u do this your muscles in an attempt to repair itself & grow (from the demands u are placing on them) hold on to water. Muscles will retain an enormous amount of water. When I have some more time I'll find some documentation to support this and post it here. Keep lifting heavy in the meantime. Also keep an eye on your measurements. Give this new heavy lifting & eating program a good chance & don't get disheartened. Same sort of thing happened to me. I started lifting heavy my scale weight slowed way down but I was losing heaps
    of centimeters. People kept telling me I was fading away

I'm in a hurry atm off to the gym soon. Just a quick question... In the last 2 months have you also increased your exercise workload or started exercise? There could be a number of reasons. I have some other questions I want to ask you as well but have to run now.

ttyl :)

I do weights 3 days and hiit the other 2 or 3 days in between. I have done this for quite some time, so I haven't really changed my routine. The thing I have changed though, is that I started lifting heavier on my lifting days. I realized that I was being a wimp at the gym...haha! I know that I have gained strength because I have increased my weights over time, but I also know that I probably will not be gaining muscle mass because I am eating at a deficit......
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Thank you for your response. I am going to keep waiting to see what happens. It is frustrating but I believe it has to work eventually. What you said does make sense. I got some advice from someone else here who basically said the same thing and to give it another 30 days to see what my body does adjusting to a higher calorie intake and the heavier weight lifting. I have been doing measurements and have seen no changes there at all....sigh. Thanks again!
    Options
    So yesterday I ate around 2130....the most I have ever put away. At first I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.

But today, I feel a lot better. :huh: Not as tired, or as sore.

You ladies may just be my hero's. Now if I just don't put on a bunch of weight until my body becomes used to it. <3 Food :love:

Great job!! I think I could eat 2500 calories a day if I had the time to do it. LOL. Today I'm at 2360 planned and I'm ravenous!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone just checking in!! Yesterday not quite sure how many calories I ate as I stopped counting after lunch. If I had to guess I'd say around 2000-2300. Best thing I ate yesterday was probably some ranch chicken drummettes. Today will probably be my bowl of grapes and kiwi I'll have. I love fruit! Happy eating everyone!!