50+ Women for the Month of April

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    I read recently that caffeine and green tea are two items that will up a metabolism. The only coffee I drink is vanilla iced coffee from McDonald's. (I know...not good). I do drink tea and will have just a small amount of honey in it. I bought some green tea extract from Avon. I think it works. I did get in all of my water and then some yesterday.

Kathy...paper mache eggs...great...You will have no desire to eat them. I thought that I was still up at midnight last night but you may be in a different time zone then I.

Barbie...I loved your story. So true for me. Ha ha. I go back to the surgeon on Wednesday. Let's see if he wants to do more surgery on me. I hope so. My plumbing is definitely not right.
  • Good morning everyone. I am not as sore as I thought I would be. More gardening today. Don't you just love to feel the dirt between your fingers. I love the smell. Gave up vegetable gardens several years ago. Rabbits and birds ate all the vegies. I grow perenials now. Daisies are my favorite.

I feel the same way about water, hard for me to drink it all, but I love Crystal light and drink a lot of that. The lemonade is especially good. I am a coffee drinker and will not give it up. I quit smoking so I have to have a vice, right??? I seldom drink soda, use to drink it like water. Had 2 eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast. Has anyone tried the Tennessee Pride Turkey patties. Yummy!! I don't microwave them, I cook them in fry pan with no oil. I also make a mean sausage and onion pizza with it. Really good.

Since starting my new life I have been cooking more and using all the low fat cookbooks that were gathering dust on the shelf. I really like the Take 5 cookbook from Weight Watchers. Awesome. healthy recipes that take 5 ingredients. Also the Eating Well website has awesome recipes and it is free. Variety is the spice of life. Guess I have said enough, have a great day everyone.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Good morning Beetlebug....I am planning on making my famous stuffed peppers. I am doing them completely different than usual. I am using ground turkey instead of hamburger, low fat cheese and brown rice. I'll bet I will get some complaints from the family. They are used to the high fat foods.

I don't have room for a garden but am going to plant some herbs.
  • Have you tried Morning Star Crumbles. They are sold in the frozen area by the frozen breakfast stuff. They are really good. I use them in spaghetti, tacos, etc. They look like cooked hamburger when you pour it out of the bag. You cook it like hamburger. Really good stuff. Husband could not tell difference in recipes I have used. Also Laura's ground beef has onle 4 grams of fat per serving. All her prouducts are very lean and tasty. Just a few ideas. Personally I did not like the taste of the ground turkey. My daughter says to season the #%@& out of it. Good luck on your peppers.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    happy Sunday morning everyone - Kathy - you GO weekend wt loss warrior!!!!!!! One more day to get through and it sounds like it will be easy!

Swiss - sounds like you're doing a fine job resisting the girlfriends sweet treats! I bet your family will love your peppers as much as always!

When i was losing my weight a couple years ago with metabolic research center i drank a gallon of water a day - i just got used to it and if i didn't drink i'd start craving it and being so thirsty! once i lost the 40 pounds i went to a quart of Sport Tea. I don't know if you've tried that - it's SO good. It's all natural, no caffeine and brews cold in the fridge! As far as coffee - i love it -but know the caffeine isn't so good. So instead of giving it up completely i ONLY drink it on weekends and limit myself to 2 ups in the morning. I use stevia leaf and almond milk in it.

Beetle - i haven't eaten meat in over 30 years and use lots of those morning star products. Those crumbles are great and so are the meal starter strips! Oh wow - all that gardening - im feeling a little envious right now! I usually have a fairly good sized vegetable garden and lots of veggies in the freezer in the fall. I don't know if i'll be able to do it this year because of all the work on my house. Last year i grew some flowers for the first time and had hummingbirds - it was the COOLEST!!!!! Hopefully i'll at least get to do that.

OK you guys - so for the first time since joining mft i had a totally horrible food day yesterday. Like the old me - where i ate everything that wasn't nailed down. So of course, i feel disgusting and gross today. I probably went close to 1,000 over my calories. I didn't eat anything BAD, just a LOT. I didn't even go to the gym because of the weather. I started today out all right - cereal, almond milk, 1/2 banana. AND - as soon as i get done here i'm heading to the gym. I have a little kid birthday bar-b-q this afternoon - i'm bringing my own boca burger and planning on no cake........hope i can stick with it. Just feeling disappointed in myself right now - and scared about my weigh in tomorrow morning. Sorry - don't mean to be a downer!:embarassed:

Happy Sunday everyone.

elli
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Hello Ladies.

I am so tired from yesterday. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

:heart: Kathy
  • ELLI,

I CAN'T IMAGINE EVER DRINKING A GALLON OF WATER. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SPORT TEA. I WILL SEE IF I CAN FIND THAT AND GIVE IT A TRY. I STILL AM NOT SO SURE AS TO WHY COFFEE IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU AS LONG AS YOU DON'T DRINK TOO MUCH OF IT. I USUALLY HAVE 2 CUPS A DAY AND ONCE IN AWHILE 3. NOT READY TO GIVE THAT UP. MAYBE ONE DAY I WILL.

I HAVE THOSE AWFUL DAYS WHEN I EAT EVERYTHING . I AM GLAD I DON'T HAVE HIGH CALORIE FOODS IN THE HOUSE. USED TO HAVE THESE DAYS OFTEN,NOW ,NOT SO OFTEN. WE JUST HAVE TO FORGIVE OURSELVES AND MOVE ON. AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE,ONE MISTAKE , ONE DAY OF OVER EATING,WON'T CAUSE A REAL PROBLEM. IT'S LETTING YOURSELF START TO CHAIN EAT AND NOT GETTING RIGHT BACK ON TRACK THAT WILL CAUSE A REAL SET BACK. CONCENTRATE ON ALL THE DAYS YOU HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB. NO ONE IS PERFECT, RIGHT? WE CAN DO THIS. WE CAN ALSO MAINTAIN OUR LOSS. KEEP THE FAITH.

ANNE
  • elli
    hi Anne - thank you so much for your feedback! Yea - that was a lot of water to drink - and i i peed like every 20 minutes! lol Now i drink about 8 glasses a day - but i count my sport tea as water. I hope you can find it - it comes in either regular size tea bags and also 7 giant tea bags in a box. I get the giant one as 1 makes a quart of tea.

I just got home from the gym - i did an hour of cardio and 30 minutes of upper body and abs. I feel SO much better. According to the machines i bured 660 calories.....i know that sounds like a lot - but my heartrate was up there and i was sweating like crazy the whole time. Plus i use the programs now that allow me to enter my weight. And i ate my salad lunch with cottage cheese, so i feel like i'm back on track. Still have the birthday party tonight but i'm bringing my boca burger and going to think of Kathy and Barbie if i'm tempted to eat cake! I'm worried about my weigh in tomorrow - i expect i could gain........it's ok tho - my goal is 3 pounds for April and there's still lots of April left!

It's still SO cold and windy here - but at least no more snow. My hard and the dirt road i live on are going to be a mud bog tomorrow!:laugh:

See you all back here tomorrow! :heart: elli
  • LilWaterBug
    LilWaterBug Posts: 213
    Hello Ladies! Take another Loser?? :tongue:

My name is Julie and I'm 43. Since relocating my little group last month from another calorie counting site here to MFP I've kind of been *spying* on you, LOL! I just spent the last hour reading all the posts for this month and I'd really like to join in because I like the commraderie this group offers. While I enjoy my ladies I feel we might be falling apart :ohwell: .

May of 2007 I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy. That was the *turning point* for me and my health. During my recovery I was allowed to swim but not anything else. And swim I did! After some complications from the surgery I had to go under the knife again four months later where they removed all the scar tissue that had attached to my bladder, intestines and left ovary, which was subsequently removed. The second recovery went much smoother as I was quite a bit healthier but I still have some scar tissue (refusing another surgery at this point) and sometimes go through the symptoms of surgical menopause (I refuse to take HRT yet...) while at the same time my lone right ovary wants to send me in to full blown fits of PMS. (Talk about Schizophrenic!!). After the second surgery I continued my healthy eating habits with my focus being on nurtrition so I could heal and nourish my body from the inside out and swimming but by the next spring I was fearing the state of the economy and started *couponing*. Buying anything and everything that I could get for pennies on the dollar and stockpiling everything. Needless to say, my health and my weight suffered. I found myself right back where I started before the first surgery. Well, I'm back and re-focusing myself.

I re-started February 11th and have lost 6 pounds. I don't journal every day but I'm working on it (I know! :ohwell: ) but for the most part I eat *healthy*, nutritional foods. I read all my labels and do a lot of research on fruits, vegetables and other foods and make it a point to try at least 2 new foods every week. I'm trying to get back on the wagon slowly (so as not to promote failure) and start re-incorporating all those healthy habits that worked for me over a year ago. So far I'm doing OK but need a little MORE.

I made a huge discovery the other day regarding my Elliptical Machine, previously known as The Beast. In '07 I lost all the weight and got healthy by eating right and swimming. I was physically stronger and thought I could finally conquer my weight loss battle because everything *clicked* for me. I got rid of my treadmill and bought the Elliptical. I soon discovered that it *kicked my butt* so I stopped using it and it's been sitting collecting dust. Well, my discovery last week was this...swimming comes naturally to me and is *easy* to do. The Elliptical was actually *work*!! Ha! Who Knew? LOL! So, my challenge has been to slowly start getting on that machine, which I have now named my Healthier Me Machine, or Beautification Machine. At least until the pool warms up, :laugh: :laugh: !

I'm still struggling with getting all my basics everyday. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, water, etc. but I'm working on it. Some days I do great, others I just miss the mark. But it's a process and one I know I can achieve. I just need that little extra Umph and think this group might just do it for me. I don't make excuses, not usually :wink: , I just have better days than others. I'm looking for more Better Days :bigsmile:

My goal for this month is to find more Motivation...from inside myself and from others. And to lose 5 pounds this month. I want to break the 10 pound barrier and be *On My Weigh* :bigsmile: I'm looking forwarding to meeting you all! :flowerforyou:

Julie
  • elli
    hi Julie and welcome! This is a GREAT group of women - i think you will find the support you are looking for! I think it's awesome that you're making friends with your elliptical machine! They really DO kick your butt and burn lots of calories! Just start off slow - i think sometimes we expect WAY too much of ourselves right away. The swimming is AWESOME! It's real easy on here to log your food too - i know it really helps me!
    Looking forward to getting to know you better! Have a good one. elli
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Just want to reply to this so I can find it later. I am definitely over 50 (58) and you sound like a good group and it will be easy to find you again in "My Topics" if I reply now. Beautiful day outside so will talk later.
    Oh and I was bad last night and ate too many calories and now my wonderful ticker that said 8 pounds, says 7. Punishment enough. I was getting Chocolate ice cream for my husband who is just getting over months and months of Cancer treatments and is trying to gain weight and I am sure you can guess the rest. Geez Louise!!
  • plantlady99
    Good Evening All,

:flowerforyou: Anne, yes we can do this. Great words of wisdom.

:flowerforyou: Elli If your calories allow it have the cake. Sounds like you worked out enough.

:flowerforyou: Julie Welcome to the group. You hit the nail on the head this is a very supportive group. Sounds like you have been through hell and back. You can do it here we all will help. I had to laugh when you talked about your elliptical. I can remember when my daughter bought her elliptical I tried it. I could only do 2 mins. Now I can do at least 45mins to an hour. But swimming is fantastic for you.

:flowerforyou: Chowhound Welcome. You will love these bunch of ladies.

Well the Weekend Weight Loss Warrior made it through with flying colors. I am so happy. It really paid stating it here. I really felt accountable. My husband had to help our son this afternoon and he came home wanting Chinese. I told him I had my salad with grilled chicken. So he decided to have a salad with grilled chicken also.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all your support.

June is just around the corner

:heart: Kathy

low-fat-diet.jpg
  • plantlady99
    :flowerforyou: Ladies on the thread for the Month of April so far. I just had to do this, I wanted to try to keep the names in my memory for moral support.

Grammymax: Esther
    Plantlady: Kathy "me"
    Fitforlife: Anne
    I-mahloy
    Elli
    Swissmiss
    Suezzque: Sue
    Zaza54: Zaza
    Benson: Heather
    Exqitblkprl: Pearl
    Barbiecat: Barbie
    Mnichol
    Cindy41: Cindy
    AliceLMS
    Gillian00
    Beetlebug2001
    LilWaterBug
    Chowhound
    healthier4me

If I missed you please forgive me. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

What a great bunch of Ladies. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Hi everyone and welcome to the newest members:flowerforyou:

The darn bug I have been battling is lingering on and now my DH is now feeling under the weather:sick: Hopefully when the weather finally gets better will be the turning point for healthier days ahead.

I have also been still very busy but managing to get my workouts in when I can. Today all I could do was a workout with the BLBootcamp DVD. I also purchased the BL cardio workout so I am anxious to try it tomorrow if my schedule allows. My scale is still stuck but I am holding my own, even though I have (when I feel strong enough to) increase my workout. Last week I worked my fanny off burning those calories:bigsmile: I know that the extra stress I am under right now is undermining my attempts, but "This too will pass". Just as I can attest to the fact that there are always bumps in the road, I know that this bump in my road will pass in its own time. Hang in there everyone, remember you are worth it:heart:
  • ELLI, I KNOW YOU WILL LOSE THAT 3LBS AND EVEN MORE. YOU SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER AND TONIGHT YOU HAVE AN EXCELLENT PLAN. GREAT!!

HEALTHIER4ME, GET ALL BETTER SOON. WONDERFUL THAT YOU ARE STILL EXERCISING AT ALL SINCE YOU ARE SICK. GOOD FOR YOU.

WEEKEND WEIGHT WARRIOR, YOU DID IT, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHOWHOUND, WELCOME. REALLY CUTE PETS. I LOVE ANIMALS TOO. MY PETS NEVER CARED IF I HAD A PRETTY FACE BUT NEEDED TO LOSE A FEW POUNDS, TALK ABOUT UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
    THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO CHECK IN EVERY DAY. THE PEOPLE ARE WARM AND FRIENDLY. THEY REALLY CARE ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF ALL WHO JOIN. BEST WISHES TO YOU.

JULIE, WELCOME TO THE GROUP. I JUST JOINED A SHORT TIME AGO BECAUSE I NEEDED SOMETHING EXTRA TO KEEP ME ON MY ROAD TO GOAL. THIS IS JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED. WONDERFUL SUPPORT, GOOD ADVICE AND ACCOUNTABILITY. WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE. WISH YOU SUCCESS. YOU ALSO HAVE PICTURES OF SOME REALLY CUTE DOGS.

HI EVERYONE, LETS MAKE THIS ONE OF THE BEST WEEKS EVER. THE WEEKEND IS OVER AND WE MADE IT THROUGH. MAKE THOSE GOOD, HEALTHY CHOICES AND REMEMBER A BALANCED DIET IS NOT A COOKIE IN EACH HAND. LOL
    ANNE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: I'm home from my long weekend trip and eager to get back to my old routine:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I have discovered that I can't "talk" to all of you without a glass of water nearby:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:

Welcome Gillian:bigsmile: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: Chowhound:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: and Beetlebug:heart::heart: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: You have come to the right place. These ladies are the greatest---they will help you along the journey and make you laugh and feel great about yourself.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Anne, I am inspired by your weight loss so far and by your great tips like announcing your eating plan to others so you can stick to it more easily.:bigsmile:

Kathy:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am so glad to hear that your weekend went well and you stuck to your goals---the weekend weight loss warrior wins again:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Healthier4me---I hope you feel better soon:smile: it's no fun being sick :flowerforyou:

Our weekend turned out great both in food and fun. Yesterday I found myself in a conversation with a woman who has been abstinent on Overeaters Anonymous for 20 years. She continues to weigh and measure her food and bring her own food to any event where she feels uncertain about what food will be served. It was a refreshing contrast to an earlier conversation I had with a friend who talked about sticking to a weight watchers plan and five minutes later was eating the fresh chocolate chip cookies provided by the hotel and laughing it off.

I got up early this morning so I could go over to the health club by the hotel and use the elliptical and the treadmill, Breakfast was a banana, Instant Breakfast made with soy milk and low sodium V-8. We got home at noon and I was delighted to be able to fix a real meal---salmon burger, salad, and steamed frozen green beans. Dinner was an Isagenix protein shake and I'll have my usual cereal and soy milk at 8:30 PM. I got on our stationery bike for 40 minutes and watched the last of my DVR recordings of the figure skating world championships and imagined myself as thin as the skaters:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've enjoyed all the discussion about coffee---pro and con. My decision to stop drinking coffee was for two reasons. First, my husband gave up caffeine as part of the Isagenix program. Second, I realized that my attraction to coffee was in part because I was drinking it with a lot of hazelnut creamer and I drank a lot of it because it was the only sweet treat I allowed myself. Once I eliminated the creamer, the coffee wasn't that attractive and I slowly cut back until I wasn't drinking coffee at all. We put the pot on a high shelf at the end of January and haven't looked back.

I drink unsweetened herb tea, hot or iced along with water. I read some stuff about artificial sweeteners that troubled me so I decided to do without.

I know there's so much more that you all shared but my mind is mush:laugh: and I don't remember, but be assured that I loved every word.:heart:

Keep up the good work:bigsmile: we can do it again tomorrow, one day at a time.

Barbie:bigsmile:
  • elli
    oh Kathy - thank you so much for the list of all of us! That is so helpful!!!!! Well, i did have enough calories for the cake and ice cream, but it was really easy to say no! I felt good about it. Now i'm having some sugar free hot cocoa and that feels like a way better choice! You had a GREAT weekend. I know we're ALL so proud of you and inspired by you!!!!! That BEAUTIFUL picture! Are those out of your garden?!?!?!?

Thanks for your encouragement Anne - also - i love your thought on what a balanced diet is NOT!!:laugh: Great point about the critters too! That unconditional love - isn't it GREAT?!?!?! I have all 3 of my dogs in the house with me tonight. The 2 mutts are really outside dogs, but since i've been staying in the "little house" and their yard is at our being renovated house i bring them in with me and my little dashschund Hercky. I don't want them to feel abondoned!!!!!!

Barbie - welcome home! Your long weekend was such a success!!!!!!!

Healthier - i sure hope you're feeling better. I amazed that you continue to work out the way you do not feeling well.

Well, i'm going to make an early night of it - a new week tomorrow, i have a bunch of stuff to do. Including weighing in the morning:indifferent: We'll see how that goes - i'm not going to let it freakme out though if i gained..........just keep on putting one foot in front of the other!!!!!!! Talk to you all tomorrow or Tuesday! Let's all have a great week! elli
  • LilWaterBug
    LilWaterBug Posts: 213
    Happy Motivating Monday Ladies!

Thanks for the welcome! :happy:

My mornings are crazy and I never have time to get in a good post so forgive me. I'll read and post when I get home in the afternoon. Just wanted to say I'm off to a good start. My usual 1 egg, 2 pieces of toast and a glass of OJ. A little high in calories but I function MUCH better during the day when I eat a good breakfast...especially Protein!!

***Today I will eat healthy, exercise and be proud of myself!***

Make it a great day ladies!
    Julie :flowerforyou:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    AHealthierSuzyQ Posts: 698 Member
    Good morning all from Susan in Windy West Texas!

Welcome to all the new ladies. I look forward to getting to know you in the coming weeks. You ladies who find time to check in on weekends amaze me!

I have a hard time finding the time to exercise on weekends (unless we're doing yard work) so often I don't have those extra calories to work with on the two days everyone wants to offer me high calorie foods.

But I did very well on Saturday. :happy: In times past I would have used it being Moma's birthday :cry: as an excuse to binge on chocolate, but managed to only go over my calorie goal by 24 and I didn't even have any exercise calories to play with. I put into practice some of the things I 've learned here on this thread. We went out to eat supper with hubby's family, and while they were all eating chicken fried steak and all the trimmings, I ordered a grilled chicken salad and announced my intention to the whole family to say :noway: no to the yeast rolls. Peer pressure is truly a great motivator! I went to bed feeling truly victorious! :happy:

Then Sunday night I blew it :explode: when I succumbed to a late night nacho craving which put me over the top on my calorie goal, but at least not above my BMR. :blushing:

It turned cold again here last night so I just put a pot of turkey chili on to cook. Preplanning meals works great on weekdays. Maybe this week I'll even get the weekend planned too. I'm going to try to do an extra 15 minutes on the treadmill today to make up for my nacho stupidity last night. Happy Monday y'all!

s24935445.jpg
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    A quick good morning to my fellow over 50 ladies. I have been on the run and am running to my exercise class, but wanted to say hello. I haven't had a chance to read the recent posts - will catch up later. All is well here despite the dreary rain.
    Yesterday was gorgeous tho and had a great walk on the beach with my husband. Thank goodness I got some exercise because it was just a stupid splurge day (too embarrassed to admit how much and what I consumed), but I'm back on track today.
    Have a good day all.
    Zaza
This discussion has been closed.