Foodies Unite!

Options

Replies

• Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up a bit - everything looks wonderful folks! Thanks so much for posting. I'm starting to feel lame for not participating lately!

Ok - I'll fix that! I'm cooking a boatload of stuff this weekend to make freezer-food for a friend who's having minor surgery next week. I'll keep my camera handy. :)
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    For lunch today...

80a96d59.jpg

Turkey Tomato Panini
    Eating Well Magazine

Dinner...

42f0e4d5.jpg

Beef and Mushroom Sloppy Joe's

Lexie Approved!!!

95ddb5ba.jpg
  • Dianaka
    Dianaka Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love all your pictures an recipes! And Your daughter is sooo cute!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-10-29_18-06-41_417.jpg[/img]

Shrimp, potatoes, corn, and mushrooms. Boiled in Zatarain's.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-10-29_19-15-38_47.jpg[/img]

Cinnamon-Apple Cake (Cooking Light). It may look over cooked on top, but that is just the cinnamon sugar topping. This was a very nice cake, not too sweet and fairly light in texture. I have a feeling it will be better after a day or two.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Those look great!
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-10-30_17-25-54_454.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-10-30_17-39-13_898.jpg[/img]

Turkey Pot Pie. Not the prettiest photo, but you get the idea.

Recipe, as previously requested. Using the grams listed mine came up to 416 calories for one slice (1/8 of pie). I used Market Pantry pie crust.

Turkey Pot Pie

1 box of pie crust (2 crusts)
    4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
    1 small onion, minced (~100g)
    3 stalks celery, chopped (87g)
    4 carrots, diced (153g)
    4 Tbsp. dried parsley
    Black pepper, garlic powder to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2 Tbsp. dried sage
    Other seasonings as desired (cayenne, garlic and herb Mrs. Dash, etc)
    2 tsp. Better than Bouillon (low sodium if possible)
    2 c. low fat/low sodium chicken broth
    3 med/lg red potatoes, peeled and cubed (350g)
    1 ½ c. cooked turkey, cubed (350g)
    3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    ½ c. milk (I use 1%)

*Note* The measurements in grams are what my actual ingredients today came out to and what I based my calorie count on. If you like more of one veg and less of another, fine, just keep the same proportions. The only thing I don’t play around with is the liquid and flour; otherwise it will not thicken properly. Feel free to do chicken or beef as well and just change the seasonings/broth to suit.

Melt 2 Tbs. butter in a large skillet. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté until softened. Add the parsley, pepper, garlic powder, bay leaves, sage, and other seasonings as desired. Sauté over low/med heat for a minute or two. Add the broth, better than bouillon (or water and regular bouillon if you don’t have them). Bring to a boil. Add the potatoes. Cook just until firm/tender.

In a medium saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add turkey and flour and stir. Cook for a minute or two, just to heat thoroughly. Add milk and heat through, scraping the bottom of the pan constantly. Add the turkey mixture to the vegetable mixture, stir, and cook until thickened (simmer). Cool 10-15 minutes. While the mixture is cooling, set your pie crust out to come to room temp.

Preheat oven to 425. Spray a 9” deep dish pie pan with cooking spray and line with one crust (there should be no need to roll the crust for this size pan, only if you have a 10”). Fill crust with turkey mixture (remove bay leaves and discard). Top with remaining crust. Work your way around the pie, turning the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust and pressing them together to seal. Cut 3-4 slits in the top to let out steam.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce the temp to 350 and continue to bake for 20-30 minutes or until crust is brown.
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Ceviche---Not a great photo, but was putting leftovers away already when I remembered I wanted to take a picture!!!

011-1.jpg

Spicy shrimp over Pasta

001-1.jpg

And chocolate chip cookies and an UGLY, but delicious confetti cake with buttercream frosting!

003-1.jpg

006.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Looks Great! On a have to make the Tuerkey Pot Pie! Till gotta try thee Ceviche!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Ok so in onor of Halloween, I did some fun foods!

377f3ca9.jpg

Caramel Apples with M & M's

7e350448.jpg

Pumpkin Pie Fudge and Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Fudge

eb033c53.jpg

The Bloody Margaritas

38b8d6f4.jpg

And my crazy husband trying to eat me!
  • kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Love all the pics...are most of the recipes found on your blog?
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    AWESOME Halloween foods... OMG @ fudge and apples--I WANT!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-10-30_17-25-54_454.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-10-30_17-39-13_898.jpg[/img]

Turkey Pot Pie. Not the prettiest photo, but you get the idea.

Recipe, as previously requested. Using the grams listed mine came up to 416 calories for one slice (1/8 of pie). I used Market Pantry pie crust.

Turkey Pot Pie

1 box of pie crust (2 crusts)
    4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
    1 small onion, minced (~100g)
    3 stalks celery, chopped (87g)
    4 carrots, diced (153g)
    4 Tbsp. dried parsley
    Black pepper, garlic powder to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2 Tbsp. dried sage
    Other seasonings as desired (cayenne, garlic and herb Mrs. Dash, etc)
    2 tsp. Better than Bouillon (low sodium if possible)
    2 c. low fat/low sodium chicken broth
    3 med/lg red potatoes, peeled and cubed (350g)
    1 ½ c. cooked turkey, cubed (350g)
    3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    ½ c. milk (I use 1%)

*Note* The measurements in grams are what my actual ingredients today came out to and what I based my calorie count on. If you like more of one veg and less of another, fine, just keep the same proportions. The only thing I don’t play around with is the liquid and flour; otherwise it will not thicken properly. Feel free to do chicken or beef as well and just change the seasonings/broth to suit.

Melt 2 Tbs. butter in a large skillet. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté until softened. Add the parsley, pepper, garlic powder, bay leaves, sage, and other seasonings as desired. Sauté over low/med heat for a minute or two. Add the broth, better than bouillon (or water and regular bouillon if you don’t have them). Bring to a boil. Add the potatoes. Cook just until firm/tender.

In a medium saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add turkey and flour and stir. Cook for a minute or two, just to heat thoroughly. Add milk and heat through, scraping the bottom of the pan constantly. Add the turkey mixture to the vegetable mixture, stir, and cook until thickened (simmer). Cool 10-15 minutes. While the mixture is cooling, set your pie crust out to come to room temp.

Preheat oven to 425. Spray a 9” deep dish pie pan with cooking spray and line with one crust (there should be no need to roll the crust for this size pan, only if you have a 10”). Fill crust with turkey mixture (remove bay leaves and discard). Top with remaining crust. Work your way around the pie, turning the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust and pressing them together to seal. Cut 3-4 slits in the top to let out steam.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce the temp to 350 and continue to bake for 20-30 minutes or until crust is brown.
    Looks tasty! Love all the photos...I have pages to catch up with you all but flipped through some ideas and will stick around for this thread. I'll work on sharing myself.:wink::flowerforyou:

Thanks!
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    Love all the pics...are most of the recipes found on your blog?

Kelly, almost everything that FallenAngelLoves and I post are from Cooking Light unless otherwise specified. You can find all of Cooking Light's recipes at www.myrecipes.com or on cookinglight.com. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sure if you ask they will post the recipe or the appropriate link.
  • kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OK...thanks I will check out the sites
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-11-01_19-31-58_380.jpg[/img]

Peccadillo empanadas (Cooking Light). I know it looks (and tastes) like ground beef, but these are made with Quorn. If you are not familiar with Peccadillo, there are raisins, green olives, slivered almonds, cinnamon, all-spice, cumin, onion, and jalapeno with a bit of lime juice. The almonds give a nice crunch. The filling was easy, it is a bit fiddly to make the empanadas, though. We ended up making them a bit larger than the recipe called for so I need to re-figure our calories. We also made some with real ground beef and cheese for the sweetie.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    4fd3943d.jpg

Pan-Seared Chicken with Tomato-Olive Relish and Linguine
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    The empanadas look great! I need to try those!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    f454ee24.jpg

Baked Mac and Cheese from the November Cooking Light Magazine...instead of using sharp cheddar I used mozzarella.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yum! I took pics of the Tuscan bean stew I made yesterday - I'll post this weekend.

The empanadas look great! Quorn, you say?

Loooove mac 'n' cheese! Cook's Illustrated did a tasting of lowfat cheeses and found that Cracker Barrel and Cabot both had 50% less fat cheddars that were worth eating. I keep looking for them. :)
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    8b3aaa32.jpg

Curried Shrimp over Garlic-Basil Coconut Rice
    Weight Watchers