support group for losing those last 10 lbs.

Options

Replies

• madisonsteelex
    Options
    I have a body fat percentage goal too, but I read in a lot of articles that you should try to lose most of the weight before you start trying to build lean muscle(to change body composition and therefore lower body fat %). Because building lean muscle requires extra calories(going over your BMR/exercise calories) and losing requires a deficit

I don't know what works for you, but this is what I'm trying. Good luck getting fit :D
  • trammellsheryl06
    trammellsheryl06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Plateau is causing me to fall off my goal. :-(

What have you tried to do to break through? Don't give up! :smile:

I'm still getting used to my new schedule, so I didn't do an exercise routine tonight. I just cleaned the house and ran around Walmart for as long as I could to get something in haha. I hope my body adjusts, I'm so tired all day!

I've increased my cardio but to no avail. I will continue my healthy lifestyle and trying to reach my goal though.

You said you net pretty low in calories, since I've upped mine I've started to lose. I know it's a bit frightening, but I suggest you at least try for a couple weeks. You might surprise yourself!

Will give it a try. Thanks for your response! 8-)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Okay finally got through the posts. Having a bad week as well simply because of Halloween and going out of town and splurging over the weekend. Trying to get back on track. When you all say you eat 1400+ cals, etc.. does this mean net or food total for the day? Like yesterday I did horrible but still was within maintneace cals just mad because I don't want to maintain I want to lose. Not so much weight as in body fat %. I have read so much about upping cals everywhere on here but am also scared to do so.

Someone PLEASE look at my stats below and my diary is open to friends but will change to everyone. My food diary might look a tad wierd as I was zigzagging cals. This week I decided just to go with the flow at 1300 a day, which MFP says I should be 1200 but other sites say 1100 because of my height. Two different methods calculate my maintence at 1711 and 1864. Also I am now at 116.4 as I gained 2 lbs possibly due to period.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Okay finally got through the posts. Having a bad week as well simply because of Halloween and going out of town and splurging over the weekend. Trying to get back on track. When you all say you eat 1400+ cals, etc.. does this mean net or food total for the day? Like yesterday I did horrible but still was within maintneace cals just mad because I don't want to maintain I want to lose. Not so much weight as in body fat %. I have read so much about upping cals everywhere on here but am also scared to do so.

Someone PLEASE look at my stats below and my diary is open to friends but will change to everyone. My food diary might look a tad wierd as I was zigzagging cals. This week I decided just to go with the flow at 1300 a day, which MFP says I should be 1200 but other sites say 1100 because of my height. Two different methods calculate my maintence at 1711 and 1864. Also I am now at 116.4 as I gained 2 lbs possibly due to period.

I will check it out later when i have more time and offer any advice I can.
    I am eating 2000-2100 gross, which is up from my typical 1700-2000 gross. I switched my goals to maintenance here on MFP just so I could see where that is (about 1900 without exercise) and I am doing this for a few weeks to try to reset my metabolism. So far my weight has stayed about the same or maybe gone down a hair, which I am very happy about since I am eating about 300 more calories per day!!!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I started a new job and the last thing I want is to exercise tonight. How do you get in that groove? I exercise because it helps weight loss and tones, not because I necessarily enjoy myself.. I feel like I worked all day, now I have to work even more. :frown:

I do it first thing in the morning! I would never have the energy to do it after working all day! I get up at 5am and just do it!! I have been doing it like this for so long, its just part of my routine!! Maybe try working out in the morning instead of at night??

Me too! And trust me there are mornings when 445am is hell (Like last night when my daughter was up 3x during the night and it was 28 degrees outside), but its something I need to do for me. It starts my day off on the right foot. If I don't exercise I find myself slipping up in other aspects of my nutrition throughout the day. Its my time to just be me- not Mommy, not wife, not teacher- the only problem I need to solve are how to keep running. I'm certifiably addicted though
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

In regards to calories eaten that others have written about...What I have noticed about mostly everyone on this thread is that they eat their reccommended calories..yours on MFP is 1200...and then they eat back most if not all of their exercise calories. I personally am keeping track of my total calories and not eating back my exercise calories unless I have a big run or workout twice.
    with that said, I totally hear you about upping calories..I actually am terrfied to step on the scale as the last 2 weeks Ive upped my calories 300-500 (depending on the day-Im zigzaggin too). But I also realized I cannot keep LOWERING my calories and working out more...it is INSANITY. Ive read tom Venuto's book feed the muscle burn the fat. I reccommend it....start small with increasing your calories..100-200 and give yourself a week or so eating this way...while continuing to work out. If your maintenance is let's say 1864..your lowest you should go should be either 25% or 500 calories. So on your 3 low days you could eat1364 and then the 4th day eat 1864 and continue that way with the ratio of 3:1.
    Good luck...it really takes experimenting to see what works best...dont give up!!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody- sorry I went MIA for awhile- we had a bad strom here in the northeast and were without power for over 48 hours. But power's back and so am I!!!

It was C.O.L.D out there this morning at 5am (28 degrees) but after the first mile or so it got better- that first mile was tough though.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

I will check it out later when i have more time and offer any advice I can.
    I am eating 2000-2100 gross, which is up from my typical 1700-2000 gross. I switched my goals to maintenance here on MFP just so I could see where that is (about 1900 without exercise) and I am doing this for a few weeks to try to reset my metabolism. So far my weight has stayed about the same or maybe gone down a hair, which I am very happy about since I am eating about 300 more calories per day!!!

Want to make sure with all these numbers if I understand correctky. "gross" cals means your total food intake?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

In regards to calories eaten that others have written about...What I have noticed about mostly everyone on this thread is that they eat their reccommended calories..yours on MFP is 1200...and then they eat back most if not all of their exercise calories. I personally am keeping track of my total calories and not eating back my exercise calories unless I have a big run or workout twice.
    with that said, I totally hear you about upping calories..I actually am terrfied to step on the scale as the last 2 weeks Ive upped my calories 300-500 (depending on the day-Im zigzaggin too). But I also realized I cannot keep LOWERING my calories and working out more...it is INSANITY. Ive read tom Venuto's book feed the muscle burn the fat. I reccommend it....start small with increasing your calories..100-200 and give yourself a week or so eating this way...while continuing to work out. If your maintenance is let's say 1864..your lowest you should go should be either 25% or 500 calories. So on your 3 low days you could eat1364 and then the 4th day eat 1864 and continue that way with the ratio of 3:1.
    Good luck...it really takes experimenting to see what works best...dont give up!!

thankyou so much! This helps! I did up my MFP cals to 1300 instead of 1200 for this week. I think I really just need to make up my mind on soemthing and stick to it for 3 weeks. I seem to always be doing 3 different thigns at once.
  • amys31
    Options

thankyou so much! This helps! I did up my MFP cals to 1300 instead of 1200 for this week. I think I really just need to make up my mind on soemthing and stick to it for 3 weeks. I seem to always be doing 3 different thigns at once.
    Youre welcome...stick with it...if it helps don't step on the scale for a week...give your body time to acclimate ...if the scale scares you (which it can make or break my day sometimes) dont step on it...go by how you feel and your clothes feel...after all it is just a number!;-)
    Also...yes "gross" calories are your total food calories.."net" calculates your calories after the exercise you logged..aka I ate 1200, but burned 200 walking ...my net would be 1000...my gross would still be 1200..make sense?:smile:
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ***Do you eat back your exercise calories?
    Not exactly.
    ***Also, how much do you eat total and how many calories do you burn on average per day?
    I eat ~2100 calories Mon-Fri. MFP setting at 1/2lb per week = 1800calories for me & I get a minimum of 300 calories burned M-F so that I will always be able to eat at least 2100calories. On Mon/Wed/Fri, I get to do Navy group PT sessions in the mornings and can burn ~700 calories, so I have extra calories those days. On Sat/Sun, I have "free meals" or a "break from logging" and eating clean so that my body can reset itself & so I don't get burned out with this lifestyle change. I estimate my calories to be between 2200-3000 Sat/Sun, so I definitely eat back any exercise calories that didn't get eaten Mon-Fri.:tongue:

2. What are ya'll's thoughts on alcohol? Are ya'll just watching your intake?
    Originally, I was drinking a lot every weekend. Now that I am closer to my goal weight & want to tone/tighten my mummy tummy; I have cut back to drinking one or two shots of tequila/vodka, etc with lemon/lime or a beer only on Sat/Sun though.

3. I see some of you are having quite a bit of success with the "taking a break from logging" effort per the article Olivia posted last week. (Still need to sit down and read that one!) Wouldn't that be just like going on vacation and just "kind of" watching and paying attention to what you eat and do? I don't know about you but most of my vacations don't result in a weight loss. They don't usually result in much of a weight gain either but I'm just curious about the effect. I ask because I am running my first half marathon in December. And I return from a 2 week vacation just 2 weeks before the event. I'm just trying to figure out what the best plan is for that situation.

I have not read the article yet, but I definitely believe in taking a break from logging on the weekends. It helps me to preserve my sanity. Occasionally, I will count my calories on the weekends just to ensure I'm not going to far over 2500 calories. I am a firm believer of enjoying using moderation so that this will be a lifestyle change and NOT another diet..

These are some great discussion questions! I hope everyone is looking forward to a great weigh-in this week:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,977 Member
    Options
    My gosh, some of your work-outs sound BRUTAL. Absolutely brutal!

I'm not stepping on the scale this week. I am trying to pay very close attention to what I'm putting in my mouth. I still have 8 weeks to lose 8 lbs - I think I can do this!

(PS - happy birthday to me....so, yes, gonna do a little extra 'celebrating' throughout this week - :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Beeps!!! :)
  • majoca
    majoca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Been away for a few days with work and managed to stay within my net calories despite hotel breakfast and hotel dinners for two days, well chuffed with myself :o) Even managed to do a high intensity Zumba session in my room which burned 450 cals!

***Do you eat back your exercise calories?
    Yes, definitely on average, but my high intensity step class burns up to 800 cals twice a week and I don't always eat those back on the day. I might go over my 1360cals on my rest days though so I tend to look at my weekly average as well as my daily and this usually works out fine.

***Also, how much do you eat total and how many calories do you burn on average per day?
    I burn about 2500-3000 extra cals per week so roughly 400 on average per day, I have two high intensity step classes per week and usually 1-2 rest days

CHALLENGE this WEEK:.........................do something "extra" at each workout IE
    I've added old school sit ups to my workout on Monday and ladies push ups to my workout today, double whammy, I did something extra and building on from last week I did something I don't like, lol

Hope everyone else is getting on well this week!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!! :)
    My gosh, some of your work-outs sound BRUTAL. Absolutely brutal!

I'm not stepping on the scale this week. I am trying to pay very close attention to what I'm putting in my mouth. I still have 8 weeks to lose 8 lbs - I think I can do this!

(PS - happy birthday to me....so, yes, gonna do a little extra 'celebrating' throughout this week - :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Just read those articles about taking a full diet break for 2 weeks. I think I have been "dieting" for the last several years. Apparently I need a break...lol.. It's going to be hard because of the20 year mindset of not eating much and excercising like crazy but I plan on starting Saturday and eating maintenace cals or a tad over for 2 weeks. Feel wierd but apparently the body needs to readjust. It's been a month since I had a PT measure me in inches and body fat. So I think I'll have that done and then see what kind of miracle can be worked with eating more. :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Anyone else excited for the weigh in tomorrow? I *think* I'm in the 150s now, which is a huge feat for me. I haven't been in the 150s since 2006! I'm ecstatic that my head is in the right place now and I can fully commit to making this a lifestyle that'll last. :smile:
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I've lost a grand ol' .2 pounds this week, although I can't say I'm surprised. I've definitely not been as strict as I could have been, so I suppose I'll just count myself lucky that I didn't gain anything for now and try to pick it up for next week. I've been feeling a bit down and having some emotional/self-esteem problems which definitely contributed to the lack of motivation this week, and doing way too much all-or-none thinking ("I'm not hungry at all. Screw it, I'm just going to skip lunch. And dinner." "If I'm going to bother eating I might as well make it enjoyable and just have McDonalds. Upsize please.") but I'm going to try and think ahead positively to get out of this rut. I've still got three days until my Christmas Challenge weigh in to turn it around and despite only coming in with minimal loss this week it IS in the right direction still.

Reading the posts here is always motivational, glad to see you guys are kicking butt. Keep it up and good luck with your weigh ins this week!
  • ajennie7
    Options
    K I've come back to MFP hoping to get the weight off. Currently in college right now and those cafeterias don't help. Not that I'm making bad choices, but buffet style isn't helping anything. Love the mini challenge of 10-15 reps goal! I'm in!
    P.S. please add my I need motivation to lose weight. Roommates definitely not helping! Want to surprise my family at Christmas!

SW: 150
    CW: 150
    GW: 130 (That's what it says on my drivers license)
  • amys31
    Options
    Just read those articles about taking a full diet break for 2 weeks. I think I have been "dieting" for the last several years. Apparently I need a break...lol.. It's going to be hard because of the20 year mindset of not eating much and excercising like crazy but I plan on starting Saturday and eating maintenace cals or a tad over for 2 weeks. Feel wierd but apparently the body needs to readjust. It's been a month since I had a PT measure me in inches and body fat. So I think I'll have that done and then see what kind of miracle can be worked with eating more. :)
    Ive been doing the same thing....eating little and exercising like crazy....I think so much of it is changing how we think...b/c we cant go any lower..like I said if 3500 calories burned is equal to a lb. we should have dissappeared by now..lol but for some reason we are not losing. So there is more to it than just cutting calories....Im with you..we can do it together!!:-)