support group for losing those last 10 lbs.

Options

Replies

• amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Anyone else excited for the weigh in tomorrow? I *think* I'm in the 150s now, which is a huge feat for me. I haven't been in the 150s since 2006! I'm ecstatic that my head is in the right place now and I can fully commit to making this a lifestyle that'll last. :smile:
    AWESOME~~~!!!! good job!:-)
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Weighed in this morning and I am still exactly the same as 2 weeks ago. Arrrrrrgggghhhh!!

I've been really good this week and have hit my new Net goal of 1400 per day every day give or take about 50cals so I really don't know what more I can do! I think one more week at 1400 and then I might either zigzag or go back to 1200 again to see if that has mixed things up enough. . . .

Oh well, I can't forget that I'm 2 stone lighter than when I started and at least the new jeans are still looking good ;o)
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm up today too - 159. But I had a very needed cheat day yesterday, so I expected that. Will probably go down by saturday - I'm always lightest on saturdays, don't know why...

I'm trying to stick to this new thing, since my diet break. If my body temp/ resting heart rate gets too low, I will have a cheat meal to up leptin levels back to normal. So I noticed over the past 3 days that both were getting low (96.5 and 45) so last night I fed myself :) And both are back up (98.1 and 53). I could probably get them up even higher, but I think I'll stick to lower calories today. I think this is a good strategy for me, because when my body temp and rhr are too low it is a big sign I'm not going to lose anything. So if a cheat meal raises it back to normal levels, in theory, it should get my metabolism moving again too. I've heard it only takes three low calorie days to slow down metabolism when you have less to lose. Seems to be the case with me. It still feels weird, but I'm going to commit to this and see if it works.

On the plus side, I'm definitely getting smaller - this week I notice it in my pants, and my waist is down a half an inch, from 29.5 to 29. Woo hoo :)
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am on the last 10 yay 112.5 gone! had lots of weigth gain while pregnant but now I am am less than when I started having kids. I just need ot keep up the momentum especially in the winter!!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'll join this group. I've been fighting the last 10 for a year and a half...apparently my body doesn't want to give it up. LOL
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The scale appeared to be moving down late last week after my maintenance calorie experiment. However, I am in Connecticut where we had a freak autumn snowstorm which took down a lot of trees and limbs and I just got power back after 4 days of being in the dark (and cold). Needless to say, my exercise and eating has not been fabulous this week. I will bow out of this week's weigh in, since this week was more survival mode than weight loss mode for me. I hope all of you have seen losses and progress!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Just read those articles about taking a full diet break for 2 weeks. I think I have been "dieting" for the last several years. Apparently I need a break...lol.. It's going to be hard because of the20 year mindset of not eating much and excercising like crazy but I plan on starting Saturday and eating maintenace cals or a tad over for 2 weeks. Feel wierd but apparently the body needs to readjust. It's been a month since I had a PT measure me in inches and body fat. So I think I'll have that done and then see what kind of miracle can be worked with eating more. :)
    Ive been doing the same thing....eating little and exercising like crazy....I think so much of it is changing how we think...b/c we cant go any lower..like I said if 3500 calories burned is equal to a lb. we should have dissappeared by now..lol but for some reason we are not losing. So there is more to it than just cutting calories....Im with you..we can do it together!!:-)

I decided to start today. I already have the less stress feeling in my gut. I really think this will work. The only thing is that I am googling all the different TDEE calculators/BMR calculators and I get something different with each one. Anywhere from 1624-1972! Thats with light to moderate actvitity level. I'm confused but I think if activity level is included then I probably shouldnt eat my excercise cals back on top of maintenance...right? One method asked for light actgivity=3 days excercise and another moderate=3-5 days moderate. Well I'm usually about 6 days of moderate to intense workouts so I just dont want to under or over estimate. This shouldnt be so hard! What a mind game. I guess my goal will be 1800 a day without eating excercise cals back and maybe go over that a few days a week. ugh...what do you think?

ETA: HA! Hevermind this link answered my question. 1700+/- a day it is, with not eating excercise back. :)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Weighed in this morning and I am still exactly the same as 2 weeks ago. Arrrrrrgggghhhh!!

I've been really good this week and have hit my new Net goal of 1400 per day every day give or take about 50cals so I really don't know what more I can do! I think one more week at 1400 and then I might either zigzag or go back to 1200 again to see if that has mixed things up enough. . . .

Oh well, I can't forget that I'm 2 stone lighter than when I started and at least the new jeans are still looking good ;o)

You should try this with some of us, maintenance cals for 2 weeks. I realized I have basically been on a "diet" for years and my body needs a break. Read this as another posted posted. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I'm up today too - 159. But I had a very needed cheat day yesterday, so I expected that. Will probably go down by saturday - I'm always lightest on saturdays, don't know why...

I'm trying to stick to this new thing, since my diet break. If my body temp/ resting heart rate gets too low, I will have a cheat meal to up leptin levels back to normal. So I noticed over the past 3 days that both were getting low (96.5 and 45) so last night I fed myself :) And both are back up (98.1 and 53). I could probably get them up even higher, but I think I'll stick to lower calories today. I think this is a good strategy for me, because when my body temp and rhr are too low it is a big sign I'm not going to lose anything. So if a cheat meal raises it back to normal levels, in theory, it should get my metabolism moving again too. I've heard it only takes three low calorie days to slow down metabolism when you have less to lose. Seems to be the case with me. It still feels weird, but I'm going to commit to this and see if it works.

On the plus side, I'm definitely getting smaller - this week I notice it in my pants, and my waist is down a half an inch, from 29.5 to 29. Woo hoo :)

never heard of this before with body temp. What type of thermometer do you use? Also do you know what the ideal numbers should be?
  • jbreilly
    jbreilly Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Weighed in today at the same weight as last week (137lbs). I could be disappointed but actually I am ok with it. This past week has been REALLY bad for me. My son was with my parents for 2 nights so my husband and I took advantage and went on 2 date nights (drinking and everything). It was great to have the time to reconnect with my husband but my calorie count didn't fare so well. So, I guess I am saying that I am just glad that I didn't put on any weight. I am committed to not cheating this weekend so hopefully that will move the scale a little by next Thursday's weigh-in.

What worked this week? --- Not much. I am impressed that after 2 1/2 days of "cheating" I was able to get back on the program. I think that is my biggest victory this week. I didn't get discouraged; I just started again.

Fitness wise - I am running a 10K on Sunday and have been following a training schedule to prepare. I generally find that I am more committed when I follow a set schedule. To any of the runners out there --- do you have a schedule that you follow that keeps mileage around 20-25 miles/week? If so, would you please share it? Thanks!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back up a half pound but that could just be from the day to day variance. Thanks for the maintenance figure link Jeanine. I'm planning on a 2 week break and need to figure mine, but like you, I was overwhelmed with even trying to figure what my intake and net should be.

Keep up the good work everyone. And keep posting stuff you've learned. This is a great thread.
  • TurboFireMama
    TurboFireMama Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I have lost 30lbs since January of this year. I am at a plateau for sure and I am not about to let it get the best of me. I want to shed 10 more lbs or the layer of fat that is still on my body. I believe that it is minimal but there enough to drive me crazy. I did fall off the wagon for a bit with recording my food intake, but I am re-committed as ever. I do Turbo Fire as a workout. I am thinking of adding p90x in with Turbo Fire as the Cardio or just some weight training with the Turbo Fire.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me break through this battle. I will win in the end but it is frustrating as of right now!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

never heard of this before with body temp. What type of thermometer do you use? Also do you know what the ideal numbers should be?

It's just something I'm trying. For a while I was thinking I might have a thyroid condition because I had all of the symptoms - body temp of lower than 97.6 is supposed to indicate a thyroid condition. But when I spent 2 weeks at maintenance, my body temp was a solid 98.6. I know I don't have a thyroid condition, but certain things can stimulate your thyroid, and the thyroid hormones are responsible for metabolism and your bmr. Body temp lower than 97.6 is a "starvation mode" detector for me, so I'm trying to eat more calories when it gets too low. I just use a regular thermometer, but I find the low body temp and resting heart rate (with heart rate monitor) go down at the same time, and go up at the same time.

It's a little experiment I'm doing. We'll see if it works :)
  • valedelafe
    Options
    I have a question, many of you talk about raising the amount of calories you eat per day so that it will help you loose those last few pounds? how does that work? Why does it work? I have been doing this since late May, have lost 23 lbs so far, want to get down to 120 (so I can have 5 lbs of wiggle room, and to get my belly flat) I was up to almost 160 lbs before and truly have no reason, i just allowed it to happen little by little.

What do you reccomend to loose those last few lbs (13 lbs for me). My daily goal is set at 1200 and I am eating that or a bit less, exercising (1 hour spin classes) at least 3 times per week. I don't care if they come off slowly, for the first time this exercise/eating well combo is working for me and I want to keep this weight off. I have been tempted to do a crash diet and just loose these last few lbs...

Any advice is welcomed :)
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread! I haven't read everyone's post, I plan on going back so I apologize if this has been said.

I'm about 10 lbs from goal and my frustration comes in with people offering me food (like at work or whatever) and when I say no and they are insistent and I finally say "I'm watching what I'm eating, trying to knock of a few pounds" or whatever, then I get the "Oh, you look great, what are you talking about...." blah blah blah....

For me, it's a number. I know what number I feel good at and I'm about 9 pounds from that number so SHUT IT! I don't think I'm obese or "fat" I'm just not at my number....grrrrr
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm down a lb and a half from last week, now at 159! 9 lbs to goal. I'm at work but will check in later to update spreadsheet and read the new posts. :smile:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

It's just something I'm trying. For a while I was thinking I might have a thyroid condition because I had all of the symptoms - body temp of lower than 97.6 is supposed to indicate a thyroid condition. But when I spent 2 weeks at maintenance, my body temp was a solid 98.6. I know I don't have a thyroid condition, but certain things can stimulate your thyroid, and the thyroid hormones are responsible for metabolism and your bmr. Body temp lower than 97.6 is a "starvation mode" detector for me, so I'm trying to eat more calories when it gets too low. I just use a regular thermometer, but I find the low body temp and resting heart rate (with heart rate monitor) go down at the same time, and go up at the same time.

It's a little experiment I'm doing. We'll see if it works :)

Keep posting as I would love to hear how it works for you.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I'm down a lb and a half from last week, now at 159! 9 lbs to goal. I'm at work but will check in later to update spreadsheet and read the new posts. :smile:

Yay! :drinker: :smile:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Fitness wise - I am running a 10K on Sunday and have been following a training schedule to prepare. I generally find that I am more committed when I follow a set schedule. To any of the runners out there --- do you have a schedule that you follow that keeps mileage around 20-25 miles/week? If so, would you please share it? Thanks!

I run between 20 and 25 miles a wekk, but I don't follow any kind of schedule. I just run 4-5 miles a day- and I never know how much I am going to run until I get out there and get going. Today I was tired so I only ran 4 miles- yesterday I felt AMAZING and ran a little over 5- just depends on the day for me.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Hooray for Thursday weigh-in day! :drinker:

I get an extra ego boost since Monday is my regular weigh in day. But hey, I will chart the 1.9 lb. loss. :love: I know its a bit inflated since my Monday weight is always a little high. This number puts me almost inside my maintenance range (132-135)! It's been a long time baby!

Really do think the irregular schedule and up and down calories might have been to jog my metabolism needed. It probably helped that I maintained at 139-140 for half a year too. I also have been able to take advantage of DH being gone for 2 separate weeks of pheasant season. He's the grill meister and I'm the salad queen. I guess I haven't missed the heavy meat-filled dinners! :tongue:

I am convinced that I needed to up my intake as well as exercise to get things moving. Time will tell!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhetdXDEqVlldE5pSlBQTHZKU2NsM1dqVHVDQkF0SGc#gid=0

I just can't leave well enough alone.. :laugh: I added a column to show the gain/loss from last week to the current week. If it's not your thing don't worry about it!

Thanks :flowerforyou: Hollyvatcher for putting that together!