$248.00 SAYS YOU CANNOT EXPLAIN IT

Options

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Great Point- I have steered clear of these threads lately for those kind of things.

If people ate healthly for awhile no junk not too much sugar and then had it they wouldn't want it no more because the effects it does on your bod isn't worth it-

My coworkers made me cake for my birthday and were concerned I wouldn't eat it but I told them I would have a piece well let me tell you it gave me the worse headache- My body isn't used to junk food/crap food anymore- I either get headaches or an upset stomach and become very sluggish for 2 days afterwards- So in the end all that crap isn't worth it- If you stay on the ban-wagon and have will power you won't even be tempted because non of those foods are worth feeling like crap.

My co-workers gave me an edible fruit bouquet for my birthday. The whole office ate fruit that day!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Dave,

I think it's funny. You are at the same place I was about 8 months ago with MFP. Don't fall into my trap and let it get to you so much that you leave. It took me a long time to learn to pick my battles here. Some people just want people to tell them "It's ok".

I don't believe in it, I'd rather someone reinforce the fact that I screwed up then have people coddle me and make me feel better. The simple fact is, in the long run, the only way to suceed in this is to generate the will power to not MAKE the mistakes in the first place.

As to your question, I'll answer you, and I think this is the one and ONLY correct answer. Validation. People tell others "it's ok, tomorrow you can start over." . It's a cop out, and a validation of bad habits because these people, somewhere deep down inside, aren't confident that they won't do the same thing some day, and if they do, they want the same things said to them. You know it's true, everyone knows it's true, hell, it's the first base instinct that pops into my head when I see one of these threads, then I QUASH it with all available strength.

:grumble: suck up-- :grumble:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Dave,

I think it's funny. You are at the same place I was about 8 months ago with MFP. Don't fall into my trap and let it get to you so much that you leave. It took me a long time to learn to pick my battles here. Some people just want people to tell them "It's ok".

I don't believe in it, I'd rather someone reinforce the fact that I screwed up then have people coddle me and make me feel better. The simple fact is, in the long run, the only way to suceed in this is to generate the will power to not MAKE the mistakes in the first place.

As to your question, I'll answer you, and I think this is the one and ONLY correct answer. Validation. People tell others "it's ok, tomorrow you can start over." . It's a cop out, and a validation of bad habits because these people, somewhere deep down inside, aren't confident that they won't do the same thing some day, and if they do, they want the same things said to them. You know it's true, everyone knows it's true, hell, it's the first base instinct that pops into my head when I see one of these threads, then I QUASH it with all available strength.

You're just jealous you didn't think of it Marla. :tongue:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Dave,

You're just jealous you didn't think of it Marla. :tongue:
    :grumble: maybe:angry:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    There's 4 pages of responses and I haven't read them all.... I'm just answering the initial question.

Why do we tell people to wait until tomorrow? Probably because we are referencing the 24 hours of food/exercise diary-ness. midnight to midnight.... if it's 2pm and the day has been screwed up, I often see responses suggesting the person do extra exercise to help, have a smaller dinner, etc -
    The "Tomorrow" refers to having a better day from beginning to end without "problems" to fix in the middle.

Tomorrow starts a new day - you start out fresh, that's all... it's not something that's giving the person an excuse to pig out and be lazy for the remaining hours until midnight. I've NEVER seen advice telling the person to do that!

Oh - and regarding their coming here to post instead of exercising: This site is part of a lot of our weight loss programs - it is a place for support and learning. I don't think taking 5 minutes of their time to share a bad experience is a sign of laziness or lack of commitment, it tells me their mind is on weight loss and keeping on track- otherwise they wouldn't even THINK of coming here!!

Don't chase people away or scare them into feeling guilty of stupid for asking for help and support - that's what this site is here for!!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Great Point- I have steered clear of these threads lately for those kind of things.

If people ate healthly for awhile no junk not too much sugar and then had it they wouldn't want it no more because the effects it does on your bod isn't worth it-

My coworkers made me cake for my birthday and were concerned I wouldn't eat it but I told them I would have a piece well let me tell you it gave me the worse headache- My body isn't used to junk food/crap food anymore- I either get headaches or an upset stomach and become very sluggish for 2 days afterwards- So in the end all that crap isn't worth it- If you stay on the ban-wagon and have will power you won't even be tempted because non of those foods are worth feeling like crap.

My co-workers gave me an edible fruit bouquet for my birthday. The whole office ate fruit that day!

My friend shipped one to me for my birthday- so I could indulge.

I did have a piece of my birthday cake which tasted good however since I am not used to so much sugar any more I had a massive headache on my birthday and felt so sick it was horrible not to mention the sluggish feeling that lasted for days later. So not worth it
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Dave,

So you're validating Dave's feelings of frustration. th_giggle.gif
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    Lots of people have weighed in on why they say "tomorrow is another day." Just because you don't like the answers doesn't mean they aren't the actual reasons why people say it, right or wrong. People do many, many things and say many, many things that are beyond logic. If we were all completely logical all the time, none of us would be here in the first place! :)

I think SHBoss1673 gave some great advice--don't take it personally! Several others have posted that, too. If it bothers you so much, those threads, then just don't read them. Don't coddle them if you do read them if you think that's what others are doing--but then again, don't be surprised if people aren't always thrilled with your response (and same to the people who don't like the response from Dave--don't post it if you don't want viewpoints from all over!).

I do apologize for my comment about "yelling," that was a bit over the top, you were right. My point was that some people just don't take well to tough love and will perceive some messages like that; they are the ones who need support in the form of "tomorrow is another day" (ie, your life is not ruined because of eating lousy one day!). Sometimes I get muddled and a bit defensive when I over-explain myself. Sorry 'bout that!

Again, focus on yourself, maintaining your results (I see you've dropped over 30 pounds in your profile--good for you!) and continue helping people in the best way you know how. If you find yourself getting frustrated, remember that everyone makes their own choices, their own mistakes, and it's not a reflection on you or your own accomplishments.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Dave,

And I'm glad you're back mista:smooched:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

My friend shipped one to me for my birthday- so I could indulge.

I did have a piece of my birthday cake which tasted good however since I am not used to so much sugar any more I had a massive headache on my birthday and felt so sick it was horrible not to mention the sluggish feeling that lasted for days later. So not worth it
    I get bloated whenever I eat crap.. like I did yesterday.
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand about people and the mentality of 'ruining' a day is why they seem to want to apply the term 'ruined' to it. I think SHBoss is correct in stating that it's for validation that they already screwed up and are now allowed to continuing screwing up because they've already blown it. I've been guilty of maintaining this mentality until a year or so ago when I realized that I could not longer say things like 'Aw man, I overate and had two brownies! Well, I already messed up and ruined my day, I might as well have 2 more!' um...hello! Even if I messed up by having the initial 2 brownies, it is ALWAYS better to just have 2 brownies than to have 4! I guess I was thinking calories just stopped adding up after I'd go over and I'd just be either 'under' or 'over' and if I was over, well, I might as well enjoy it. Bad idea.

I totally agree with the premise of Dave's thread here - that we can (and absolutely will!) make mistakes, but instead of seeking validation of our errors and throwing up our hands and calling it a 'ruined day' or a 'cheat day', why don't we take a moment, breath, put down the brownie and either eat healthy for the remainder of the day or (better yet) take some time to work off the initial two brownies.

We all make mistakes. We all want to know that other's fall off the wagon as well... however, once off the wagon we have the choice of either rolling down the hill and off of the cliff or running to catch back up with the wagon. I don't always succeed, but I'd always try to run and hop back on! And hell, maybe I’ll burn off those two brownies in the process! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon over the weekend, just thought I'd throw that in there.
  • dragonladey
    Options
    I figure if I eat it I then need to go outside and walk with my kids or work in the yard or clean the house to burn extra calories. If I keep moving I keep burning. Then try and eat right the rest of the day.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon over the weekend, just thought I'd throw that in there.

congrats! :drinker:

On another note, maybe the men on here get so bothered because they speak the truth and women like to hmmmm and haw and skirt the issues sometimes. Personally I used to get irritated with banks (now SHBoss1673) because he had kind of a know it all attitude but it wasn't until I realized he was just telling it like it was. Now dave has filled those shoes.

My husband once told me that if you want a man to get something done you can't suggest it or hint about it you just have to say what it is you want if you expect it to get done and I think this is just a man's way of saying quit making excuses and start taking care of yourself! :wink:
  • fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216
    Options
    It's ok Dave. Tomorrow, less people will make the same posts. I
    m sure of it. Just as sure as I am that the
    enter
    key on my keyboard being in the place where the apostrophe/quotes key should be is a huge pain in my @$$.

I agree that "support" should be the kick in the buttocks we need to get moving sometimes. Tough love. Coddling is for encouraging kids to poop in a toilet instead of their pants. We're all adults. If I ever poop in my pants, don't feed me any "tomorrow" talk, kick me in the rear and tell me to get with the program. Then you throw in some "you can do it" for support. (You might not want to actually kick someone in the rear if they've pooped their pants. Just sayin') :huh:

Good post. :smile:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    The part that confuses me is that I dont think this is the first time you have made a post about this....
    and you are whining and needing validation by your community about the fact that others are whining and needing validation?
    If you dont like it dont read it... suck it up dave!!! and quit whining about it... move on!!!!!

ADDED AFTER****
    this was not a personal insult to you dave ... this was a "tough love" moment:flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    Options
    I also wanted to mention that sometimes when people post about how they fell off the wagon .... that maybe its not that they want to hear "oh tomorrow is another day... blah blah crap crap"... Maybe perhaps they just need to feel like they are OWNING their mistakes and by sharing them with their community/family they are holding themselves more accountable....just a thought...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The part that confuses me is that I dont think this is the first time you have made a post about this....
    and you are whining and needing validation by your community about the fact that others are whining and needing validation?
    If you dont like it dont read it... suck it up dave!!! and quit whining about it... move on!!!!!

you have never said a nice word to me since I have been here and I do not appreciate you getting personal. Please quit it.
    thank you.
  • amanda11475
    amanda11475 Posts: 599
    Options
    I think this is getting silly. Everyone deserves the opportunity to "whine" on these boards, if that's what they want to use them for. You can coddle them or you can go the tough-love route. Doesn't mean either way is right or wrong.
  • jackeh
    Options

you have never said a nice word to me since I have been here and I do not appreciate you getting personal. Please quit it.
    thank you.

What???? I was just voicing my opinion.... sorry if you dont like it....
    I just find this post hypocritical is all... and i find it mean to the people who make posts about how they screwed up... like their posts are not valid.... EVERYONE here is a PERSON and everyones post is IMPORTANT:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.