Shape Up with the Daily HEET, April Thread (New Members Welc

Options

Replies

• hazelmichling
    Options
    Julie, those birds at Walmart ... if they are fairly large and black colored, they very well could be those greckos. They are a noisy bunch and if they stay there all day, the mess would be horrific! I hate those birds. Don't know what good they do except noise and mess.

Bebe, fish and mango? Now, that sounds just like island style eating. Yum yum. what kind of fish was it? reef and fried? Strange breakfast food, but if it works, then it is okay. I love mango but don't like paying the high price at the market. You know when you live in the islands and they fall off the tree like yours does, it is hard to pay big money at the market.

One of my goals for the month of April that is helping me, is planning my menu. I don't plan it ahead of time so far in advance, but if I can get it first thing in the morning, then my mind is on the right direction of healthy eating and I become more focused. Perhaps this could help you, Bebe. At least you have healthy food in the house to select from.

tonight I fixed a chicken pot pie from my diabetic cook book and it sure looks good. Approximately 256 calories for 1 cup. But I didn't use half and half cream and my salt is very minimal. Carbohydrate is 18g. since I didn't eat much all day, I think this will just round off the day for me.

time for dinner. TTFN. still struggling with the H2o. I am almost down with 6 glasses so maybe not too bad. :smile:

Gee, it would be good to hear from Julie. I have been praying for DH and praying for healing on his body. Peace and strength for Julie. This is for you, Julie ... :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hey Bebe so nice to hear from you! A mango falling from a tree in your yard? How cool ! I would love to have a yummy fruit tree. My cats love all the birds. The cats are strictly indoor kitties. They sit in the window sills and watch the birds all day. :smile: Yep Hazel I bet those birds are greckos. I think my dh told me the Midland officials wanted to kill those birds. I think they are too loud but kill them? I love all of God's creatures. I cannot see killing them even if they are a nuisance. TTFN- Cindy :heart:
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Heeters, good to see you Yari, waving to all the other Heeters. We too are suppose to hit a high of 70 and I am so ready for some fine weather. Truck needs cleaned out and a really good washing so hoping to get that done.

Here is something cute I found to share with all of you:

:drinker: Diet supreme willpower tonic :drinker:

1 qt determination
    1 cup desire
    1 TBSP common sense
    1 TBSP foresight
    1 cup energy
    1 TBSP stick-to-itiveness

Bring to a boil, add remaining ingredients, let steep for 1 hour and bottle. Drink as needed. :drinker:
    To our health!!!!

Well everyone take care and know I think of you all a bunch!!!
    Love and Hugs, Debbie
  • hazelmichling
    Options
    That is cute. You do come up some good stuff.

Well, our weather report says we are expecting much needed rain. But severe storm? Hope not. Going out tomorrow to Dallas Baptist University to Hymn Sing.

My diabetic recipe for chicken pot pie really turned out good. DH really liked it and taking some left overs for lunch tomorrow.:smile: Had some cling peaches for dessert. Yummy! Yes, doing my 8 glasses of H2o today. Hooray for me.

That's it for me for today., Hope everyone doing well. Until manana ~ adios.
  • suzinpb
    suzinpb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good Evening

Boy this is an active group.. I 'm having a hard time keeping up and keeping track.

It was our 32 Anniversary today.. Hubby and I went to this local fine Restaurant on the Intercoastal waterway... I overate, but I did get some ideas about trying new food. Hubby's entree , braised short ribs came with Himalayan Red Rice. Good RICE.... It has this real nice nutty flavor... I had the mixed grill platter, of duck, lamb and filet mignon. with red cabbage and field greens salad... I brought most of the meat home.

I walked 4.5 miles today and did some yardwork , so I hope that worked off some of my calories.

SUE
  • blackchick38
    Options
    sue you are right this is an active group,so imagine if you miss a day hey.and you did just fine on taking the rest of your meal home.for dinner we had prk chops,corn on cob,boiled cassava and mixed vegs.i did what you did sue ate a little bit of p chops,cuz i ate most of it while cooking :sad: :sad:
    debbie you do come up with great quotes and how we love them so,cleaning the truck i dont love that one,its so hot here we have to clean our cars early in the am or late at pm,i know that will be a good wrk out.
    cindy i can imagine your cat looking outside at the birdes,what a lovely sight..the mangoe tree is a great one,the kids at a near by sch stops each day for the fruits which helps alot,because cleaning up the fruits after a few days is rough becuz they drop so fast and rots even faster.
    hazel the fish i had is similar to mackeral,its called jack.i know the breakfast sounds strange my BF turned up his nose also.i notice that protein fruit or vegs first thing in the am wrks great with my weight losing,but for some reason i hate breakfast.
    its after 12 midnight and i have to get some shut eye,will be back .have a great one heeters
    bebe:bigsmile:
  • hazelmichling
    Options
    Cindy, yes, those birds are irritating. If not making noise, making a mess. i forget where it is, but my DH told me this one place piped in sounds of monkeys and the birds disappeared. More people should do that, huh? Some places here in Dallas have signs that they will periodically have loud noises to chase the birds away in case you happen to be in the area when that happens not to be alarmed. I have not heard that yet. I like the idea of the monkey sound best.
  • hazelmichling
    Options
    Sue, congratulations on your 32nd wedding anniversary. How nice of your DH to take you to such a beautiful restaurant where you not only enjoyed good food, but had a beautiful view. I thought of the scene from CSI Miami on the Intercoastal waterway and how beautiful that is. You gals who are on the coast line are so lucky. I miss the ocean and beaches. Your meals sounds so dellicious. I love red meat but have not been eating much of eat since I started my healthy eating lifestyle. I fee much better for it.
    But working in the garden, that should be burning lots of calories. I admire all of you who work in gardens cause I haven't started yet.

Bebe, I have not heard that word casava for a long time. It is some kind of root plant in a starch family? If I remember correctly, I did enjoy eating that in the islands. Yes, I can enjoy your kind of breakfast. Now you got me to thinking about trying to eat more protein for breakfast. Great idea. Thanks for the tip.

BBL. Hazel :love: :bigsmile:
  • suzinpb
    suzinpb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I'm just updated my profile page so go check it out. I'm still working on trying to find a pix to upload. but haven't figured that out yet.

I just got back from my walk . My friend and I walked 3 miles in 43 minutes. That's a little faster than a 4mph pace. I think we should be ready for the 5k next Saturday.. Of course our walk this morning was level and the 5k on Saturday is up and over the causeway and back... My son is also entering the 5k but he'll be of course running it.

Were is everybody from? I live on the east coast of Florida, halfway between Jacksonville and Miami.

SUE
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Good Morning Heeters, Hazel what were you doing up at 4 AM? I hope all is well. Has anyone heard from Julie? I wonder if everything is ok with her husband ? Does anyone have her contact info? Well ladies, today is Friday. TGIF ! We've almost made it through another week. :smile: It looks like it's going to be a beautiful day today. We had a tornado watch and thunderstorm warnings up until midnight last night. Thank goodness we didn't get a storm. It rained a little but cleared up by 10pm . Dh and I were still able to go on our 2 mile walk. :smile: I will be doing my 5 miles today. Lets have a great day everyone! Drink that water- eat those veggies- get moving. I was reading on the American Heart association site that for every hour of exercise you add 2 hours to your life. :heart: Let's add some hours to our lives! ttfn- Cindy :heart:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Sue, Great job on the walking ! :flowerforyou: I am in Odessa, Texas now. We moved here from Ohio 2 years ago. We are not staying in this part of Texas forever though. I don't realy like the oil country . :frown: Have a great day! Cindy :heart:
  • blackchick38
    Options
    good morning heeters
    julie we miss you and praying for you,hope both you and hubby are well.
    hazel yes cassava is a root plant and strarchy also,and its great.you seems to know alot about island food how interesting,did you live on an island before?
    its also raining a bit here wit a little cold front passing,boy does it feels great.
    well today is the first day that i have journal my breakfast,whichi know helps me to keep track .and thinking back it helped me lost some weight last few months also,so i think i will be doing it again from now on,also i need to weigh myself more often that helped a lot also last time.
    whats everyone doing today?
    bebe,
  • hazelmichling
    Options
    Morning, sisters. Sue, I in Dallas, Texas. Originally from Hawaii, transplanted in Guam and the Island of Saipan and ended up in Dallas.

Bebe, guess you know now, why I am familiar with island type of food. I miss it at times so please enjoy it for me. Have you always lived in Bahama's?

Okay, gals, I gotta run, just wanted to pop in and let you all know I just got back from my weekly weigh in and lost 2.7 pounds!!! Hooray! Now to keep it off.

Bebe, keeping a food dairy journal, I believe, is really helping me to stay focused. Hope this helps you too. Also, Cindy has been good to remind me to drink my water and I agree that this too, is important.

Going to DBU Hymn Sing today so will check back later. TTFN. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart:

Julie, we love you. Hang in there. Praying for you and DH.:heart::heart:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    WOO HOOO Hazel ! Way to go on your 2.7 pound loss ! I am so proud of you ! :flowerforyou: Have a great day ! Cindy :heart:
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    :heart: Good Day Heeters, Hope your all doing well today. Well the weight is creeping back on slowly and I am still eating well. When I hurt myself a week ago I took some time off to heal and then the weather was not suitable for walking so getting back into my routine again. I am back on some medication to help with managing my diabetes so I hope with that said and taking it (though I hate to take medication), that things will turn around again. Sorry to whine as its not good for me to nor do I want to drag anyone else down. Just being Real with myself.

So many of you are walking and exercising like crazy and that is great. I see that Julie hasn't posted in a few days but with hubby ill and family members coming in to visit, she needs a little break and we have got to keep going and posting as she wouldn't want it any other way. Keep her and hubby in your prayers and I know when she can she'll be back to us.

WTG Hazel.....you are dong so great, and Cindy too!!!! You both are such an inspiration. Bebe and Lucy you are getting mindset and that is key to success. Dispite all that has been going on with me and family and such I am not giving into old habits and bad foods. I love eating better, and feeling good and I know in time I will get there, I want it too bad to fail.

Did anyone watch dr. phil today? He was saying that to yoyo diet is like a death sentence. That hit me hard, but made alot of sense. He also said their is no quick fix and you can't take a mix, or pill, or try some waste away creams and think you'll get fit and lose weight. You have to get all the components in order, mind, body, food and exercise, you can't do one without the other. He is right, and I think that is what our emphasis is here, is simply what we stand for: Healthy Eating and Exercise Team. Julie could not say it better and if we do just that we will 'Shape UP". So its just that simple..

Keep up the great work everyone, and I'll get back to all of you later,
    Debbie:drinker:
  • hazelmichling
    Options
    Mucho gracias, Senora Cindy. Thanks to all of you for your constant encouragement, inspirations and motivational suggestions, I was able to do it. :heart: :flowerforyou:

I headed out to the church to catch the bus to the DBU Hymn Sing. But, major thunderstorm, i turned around and came right home. Better be safe than sorry. I just am not used to driving in such bad weather.
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi Debbie, Great to hear from you. I agree 100% on getting your mind, body ,food and exercise in order. You have to have the right mind set or no "diet" will ever work. I have lost 100 + pounds and gained it back twice because I had the wrong mind set. I thank God I finally get it. I know this time I will be sucessful in keeping it off. I also agree that losing the weight twice and gaining it back was terribly hard on my body in ways I may never know. I am so thankful my body is responding to the exercise and eating right this time too. I now realize that this is a lifetime thing for me. I will have to eat right and exercise the rest of my life or resign myself to being overweight and unhealthy. Nope- No sir- I pick the exercise and eating right! :smile: I :heart: you all and want the same for you too ! We can do this ! We are all beautiful, strong women ! We ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ttfn- Cindy :heart:
  • hazelmichling
    Options
    Debbie, do not be discouraged. We are here to help you. I, too, struggled for such a long time with my diabetes condition and didn't know what to do. If I cut out food, my weight still didn't go down. If I ate too much, my weight would go up but I would feel better with my diabetes. But, my blood sugar was out of whack.

I am so glad I found this group and with the help of all on this board, I have come to realize what Dr. Phil is saying is right. I am trying new recipes found in Diabetic Recipe cookbook and find that both DH and I like the recipes. It keeps us in the right calorie, carbohydrate, fat level to also include the protein. But too it tastes good.

So with this said, I find that if I can control the kind of food I eat and drink my H2o plus the exercise, my blood sugar is better controlled with my medication and too, my weight seems to be going down. Woohoo. Try this and see if it helps you.

Trying to remind myself to take in dairy products as I normally do not. Balance is the key. Good luck.:flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • blackchick38
    Options
    TGIF like it means anything to me ,cuz i dont have the weekend off :sad:
    DEBBIE~thank you for watching dr phil and sharing that info with us,i have so many diet pills i can open up a diet store.but i havent taken any in a long time due to them speeding up my heart,and just early this am i was thinking of taking some of the slim quick that are on my computer desk.and he is right about the mind set,if its not in the mind to do well,then we will fail and try another quick fix and some days i want a quick fix.today and everyday i look at myself in the bathroom mirrow and ask myself how did you get like this?i want to put a towel over it so bad just so i dont see me in it,to tell the truth if i was living by myself i would of done just that.so after i read your post ,i went and confronted the mirrow and told him that i will not ask that question again,instead i will do away with the mindset of the quick fixes and eat healthy,exercise most days,dont want to schedule myself cuz i will only break it,but RE MIND myself that this is the only body that i have and if i take care of it like i have being doing for the last 3dys now,i will see changes in my appearance.like you i have gained a few and stayed away from the group for a few dys,i told myself thoes sisters of yours are there for you so go back and from that day to now,i have been seeing progress in the way i think about losing weight.
    hazel congrats to you,give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. yes i have lived in the bahamas all of my life ,hawaii i will love to visit some day.
    debbie is right we need to keep posting ,i fro got julie was havin company.so guys lets fight this fight cuz we are out to win.
    bebe
  • blackchick38
    Options
    THIS SOMETHING I READ ON ANOTHER FORUM AND I JUST WANT TO SHARE IT WITH YOU GUYS. During my study of Japanese culture there is one value that stuck out boldly and has inspired me. The word 努力 = doryoku is a word that is deeply ingrained in Japanese culture which means “hard work”. The Japanese equivalent to saying “good luck!” to someone is “work hard!” and the Japanese strongly feel that if you fail at something it’s simply because you didn’t work hard enough. It sounds very strict and unfair, but it is a concept I have come to embrace. They do not allow excuses to let you get away with giving up or failing. (That’s not to say failure is a bad thing, what makes or breaks a person is if they keep going at it or not.)