Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You can fast and lose weight healthily.... yeah you lose weight then gain more as soon as you start eating
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can fast and lose weight healthily.... yeah you lose weight then gain more as soon as you start eating

might want to recheck your "myth"...
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14 lbs in a week using water fasting my first time, an 12 lbs a second time.... and regained the weight and more after a few months even with low calories.... no exercise though but still

might want to recheck your "myth"...
  • Addicted2carbs
    Options
    HCG :mad:
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I once had a stupid doctor, who told me to eat one less of everything.

It sounds valid, but he advised me that I could still eat McDonalds and if I just ate one less french fry than I normally ate that would help me lose weight.

LOL.

technically he's right...one less ORDER of fries!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You burn the same amount of calories walking as you do running. Intensity is irrelevant. <--so aggravating
  • therenegadeangel
    therenegadeangel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What are the stupidest diet tips with regards to weightloss/weight gain that some one has given you?. The stupidest one i heard was...Eat breakfast and lunch but dont eat at dinner/evening/night. Oh and 'you dont even need to eat 3 meals a day, just eat one big one'. Obviously i didnt follow either otherwise i wouldve starved to death. Any diet myths of your own?

what's wrong with just eating 1 big meal a day?

"only carbs make you fat"
    "keto diets offer a metabolic advantage"
    "you have to eat breakfast"
    "increased meal frequency boosts metabolism"

Woah woah woah! Explain please! I always was fed the whole, "if you skip breakfast your metabolism will slow down/You HAVE to eat breakfast because of _______"

I rarely eat breakfast and skip right to lunch. So my folks must have been wrong then huh? -__________-
  • paperm313
    Options
    Yea muscle does weigh more than fat, it's because it is more dense
  • vikkilo21
    Options
    Whoo!!! Fourteen pages of arguing! My favourite.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is a huge thread so it's probably already been mentioned but the whole female thing where they think they'll be the size of Kai Greene if they do any kind of strength training.

They have no idea how hard a physique like that is to attain.
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is just a response to some of the comments

losing weight is calories in calories out. period...if you have a different goal like toning then incorporating other methods is imperative
    if six meals of eating healthy works for you go with it..it you can keep you calories where they need to be and still get adequate nutrition but need to skip breakfast..then skip it.
    Your exercise performance will probably suffer if you are working out on an empty though.

The body goes into starvation mode (lower metabolism) only after a day or two of no eating

Those who consume less calories over a lifetime live years longer- The Blue Zones Study
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    what's wrong with just eating 1 big meal a day?

"only carbs make you fat"
    "keto diets offer a metabolic advantage"
    "you have to eat breakfast"
    "increased meal frequency boosts metabolism"

+1 to this.... the eat constantly idea drives me nuts.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    "The Rack"
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think thin = healthy is a pretty stupid myth. I know someone who lives on cigarettes & beer but wears a size 6 so thinks she is healthier than I am tho she can't climb the stairs (that I run on) to my apartment

So true!!!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    aytch. see. jee.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    that a pound of muscle weight more than a pound of fat. GRRRRRRRRRRRR a pound weights a pound...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    that a pound of muscle weight more than a pound of fat. GRRRRRRRRRRRR a pound weights a pound...
    No one has EVER said that. A given VOLUME of muscle weighs more than the same VOLUME of fat. The entire argument is semantics and you very well know it.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Current radio ad for some diet crap that says the following:
    "Did you knwo that If you're a woman over 40 you have to work out an HOUR a day to maintain your current weight?!"
    Um NOOOOOO???? So not true.
  • Ceebee37
    Options
    Avoid carbs...really not a good idea, cut back, yes, not avoid!!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...
    :laugh: