you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same, but I'm currently finishing up 6 months of teaching in China, and students here choose their own English names.

Over my time here, I've taught a Potato, Ice-Lemon, Firework-Boy, Fish and Apple.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is people using unusual spellings for a name that already has a standard spelling. It just makes everyone's life harder. It's really stupid..
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm know there are much stranger names but daughter is in kindergarten and when she kept talking about her friend Zizu (pronoucned Z-zoo) I had to ask the teacher at conferences I thought she was making it up! I know he is mexican but all of my friends that are hispanic say they have never heard the name either!!

I gave my kids "different" names but not so weird they would hate them or get picked on for them just tried to not give them such common names!

Regan Presley (and no it is not for the president or Elvis)
    Declan Nash

Both names are Irish as are we! My daughter's fits her seeing how she is a pale, redhead with freckles :)
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I know there are much stranger names but my daughter is in kindergarten and when she kept talking about her friend Zizu (pronoucned Z-zoo) I had to ask the teacher at conferences I thought she was making it up! I know he is mexican but all of my friends that are hispanic say they have never heard the name either!!

I gave my kids "different" names but not so weird they would hate them or get picked on for them just tried to not give them not such common names!

Regan Presley (and no it is not for the president or Elvis)
    Declan Nash

Both names are Irish as are we! My daughter's fits her "irish" name seeing how she is a pale, redhead with freckles :)
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I worked at a daycare and some of the names there I found interesting! I'm not sure of some of the spellings, but here they are:
    Zazi
    Lulu
    Loulie
    Ezra
    Stone
    Orla (her father is from Ireland though, so I think it's an Irish name)
    Axel

They were all extremely cute children though :) I think their names gave them more personality as well too! I hope they never get teased for them!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I work with someone who named their kid Kingston... because he was conceieved in Kingston Jamaica... I feel sorry for when he is older and finds that out...

I wouldn't wanna know where I was conceived!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't think I know anybody with a name I don't like, but I know a couple of families that named their kids all rhyming names. I have a hard enough time remembering which kid I'm talking to when they're siblings, much less when their names are basically the same!

One of these families is now grown women. Their names are something like Candy Fay, Sandy May, and Andy Ray (not 100% sure on the combinations, but those are the names for sure).

The other family, the oldest is 8. They are Ally, Sally, Hally, and Kally. I didn't know the youngest's name for several months and took to calling them "Ally, Sally, Hally, O'Mally" because I knew it had to rhyme. (Note: I never said that to anyone outside of my family; I wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of a bunch of kids).
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I went to school with a girl named Chasity (normal), but not so great with her last name of Toole. Also, there were these two sisters from my home town with last name Benbow.. say it out loud it sounds just like bimbo. I felt so bad for them, as everyone would yell.. "Look, the bimbo's have arrived". If I were there mother, I would have insisted they use my maiden name for their last name.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    I worked at a daycare and some of the names there I found interesting! I'm not sure of some of the spellings, but here they are:
    Zazi
    Lulu
    Loulie
    Ezra
    Stone
    Orla (her father is from Ireland though, so I think it's an Irish name)
    Axel

They were all extremely cute children though :) I think their names gave them more personality as well too! I hope they never get teased for them!

A girl in the school class I work with is called Orla, only her name is the Irish way, Orlaith
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My mom and her siblings all start with J (exceot the oldest which starts with G, but close enough sounding to get them confused)
    Gary
    Joan
    Joyce
    Janet
    Johnny
    Jimmy
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    My surname is Gunn. If I have a boy I'm going to either name him Ray or Tommy.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know a guy named Farton Ashole!! They are either really rich or hated the baby.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard of the La-a and Abcde. I think there's a huge different between giving your kid a "unique" name and then just giving them a plain old weird name. I know someone who has tons of apostrophes in all her kids' names and I wonder how those kids struggled with learning how to spell their own name. I don't have biological children yet, but my step-daughter is Josilin, which I think it different but still normal and pretty. When we have children together, the boy name we have picked out is Julian and the girl name we have picked out is Kenley.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My mom works in the school system there is a girl with the name Lady there.

My cousin is big on odd names..
    Her eldest sone is - Allandrex
    Her middle daughter is - Denzara
    and her younges son is - Zandre

My youngest brother is Lathen - he contstantly gets asked if his name is Nathen.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My surname is Gunn. If I have a boy I'm going to either name him Ray or Tommy.

My brother has a friend whos name is Thomas Gunn, everyone always called him Tommy I always thought it was a nice play on words lol
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you really want to see some of the "best" names ever, check out the Utah Baby Namer (apparently Utah is known for bizarre baby names): http://wesclark.com/ubn/
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I work with someone who named their kid Kingston... because he was conceieved in Kingston Jamaica... I feel sorry for when he is older and finds that out...

I wouldn't wanna know where I was conceived!

Well that explains why my parents named me motel 6
  • CurlyQTee
    Options
    I knew a lady named Toy Pig
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A family member named her daughter Campbell Jaymes, last name not disclosed... Poor little girl, she's going to get a beating in school.
    [/quote

I have cousins named Campbell, Emerson and Harper. I think they are beautiful names. They are family names.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A family member named her daughter Campbell Jaymes, last name not disclosed... Poor little girl, she's going to get a beating in school.
    [/quote

I have cousins named Campbell, Emerson and Harper. I think they are beautiful names. They are family names.