you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    went to school with a robert roberts. first and last name. we always called him bobby squared. his idea. not ours!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a guy named Troy Troy and a girl named Misty Cloud.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    When I was in college in Georgia, my math professor (she also taught high school math) said she had a set of twins in the same class. Their names were Lemonjello (lamon-jello) and Orangejello (or-ange-ello) I kid you not.
    Common urban legend.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I thought of a couple more.

I once worked with a lady named Happi Holiday. I'm not sure what her maiden name was, but my co-workers had told me that she married into the Holiday family.

Also worked with a lady named Dreama Weaver. Again, she had married into the Weaver family.. I really thought this one was a joke when I was asked to order her business cards. But it wasn't.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    my DD former daycare teacher was pregnant and she told me she was having a girl. I asked about names and she said "well my son's name is Cash, so we are thinking of going with Currency." I was about to start laughing until I realized she was dead serious.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I worked with a contractor whose first name was Justy and the first time the men in my office saw her they decided her name should have been Busty or Chesty. I'm sure they weren't the first ones to think of that.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    La-ah pronouced La-dash-ah

urban legend

Nope, my boyfriend works for Dept of Human Svcs in the records dept and sure enough on a file, the lady named her kid La-sha

Yep - in college, my friend worked at Gymboree and she had La-a and Abcde in her class.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    and by "classic" you mean Eurocentric. the problem here is that (unfortunately) people discriminate against others based on their names in the job market (there have been several studies to demonstrate that employers prefer "classic" Eurocentric names), when unfortunately people have no control over what their parents decide to name them.

sure, these posts are all in fun, but i think we should also be reminded of the assumptions about people's abilities and intelligence that go into our judgements based on their names.

"what's in name?"
    i really like classic names, so there are many times where i'm like, "oh, how unique" and really mean "ewww, what's wrong with you"

i named my son david and the next boy (due march) will be alexander. classic and go anywhere in life names. i don't want my kid to go looking for a job and be like "mom, what were you thinking?"... I actually met someone recently that wants to name a boy achilles, i was like "he died. young. why? we don't live in ancient greece!"
  • Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    Options
    I have a friend who named her kids Rowdy, Stormy and her last duaghter is Savage Willow.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is people using unusual spellings for a name that already has a standard spelling. It just makes everyone's life harder. It's really stupid..

Yes! My name is Casey. Simple, standard, traditional spelling. But because dumb parents everywhere had to get cute and start spelling it with a K or -ie instead of -ey, my perfectly normal name is constantly being spelled in ways that makes me want to punch people. Every time I go to Starbucks, it never fails that a male barista will spell my name the right way without me having to tell him, but the chicks always spell it "Kacey" or "Casie" or (the most ridiculous attempt yet) "Kayci." It drives me absolutely nuts. I have actually started using fake names like Tiffany or Angela. They don't always spell those right either, but since that's not really my name, it doesn't bother me as much.

Totally feel for you on that. My girlfriend is called Jane. A more 'normal' name you could scarcely think of. Even so, a certain pizza takeaway near our old flat used to constantly spell it Jayne and once even put James! That went down well as you can imagine!

I would always assume the spelling is the most common/traditional one and that if it is not, the person will tell me so. I'm sure people called Kayci would be far less offended at it being written Casey, especially if they didn't spell it out at the time.

why does this matter so much? why can't people accept others' decisions to be unique and do whatever they want? the "most common/traditional" or "standard" way of spelling a name is usually considered the "best" by ethnocentric people. the problem i see is that many white Americans are terribly dismissive of trying to spell and/or pronounce names that are not the "most common/traditional" Eurocentric names. and people wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're so ignorant in the U.S.

sure, these posts are all in fun, but i think we should also be reminded of the assumptions about people's abilities and intelligence that go into our judgements based on their names. what's so "stupid" about spelling Kayci in that manner?
  • gsheasley
    gsheasley Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    are the triplets named Huey Doey and Louie an urban legend?
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    People I've known:

A kid in high school was named Sunshine-Love (first name, middle was Derek- guess which one he went by!)
    Two friends growing up were named Honesty and Wisdom (sister and brother)
    Kids I went to church with- Mini and Kara (last name Vann- say it together!)
  • paige2390
    paige2390 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Had an employee a few years back by the name of Preshas Treats and another one that was Pimparish.

Gotten love Detroit!!
  • paige2390
    paige2390 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is people using unusual spellings for a name that already has a standard spelling. It just makes everyone's life harder. It's really stupid..

Yes! My name is Casey. Simple, standard, traditional spelling. But because dumb parents everywhere had to get cute and start spelling it with a K or -ie instead of -ey, my perfectly normal name is constantly being spelled in ways that makes me want to punch people. Every time I go to Starbucks, it never fails that a male barista will spell my name the right way without me having to tell him, but the chicks always spell it "Kacey" or "Casie" or (the most ridiculous attempt yet) "Kayci." It drives me absolutely nuts. I have actually started using fake names like Tiffany or Angela. They don't always spell those right either, but since that's not really my name, it doesn't bother me as much.

Totally feel for you on that. My girlfriend is called Jane. A more 'normal' name you could scarcely think of. Even so, a certain pizza takeaway near our old flat used to constantly spell it Jayne and once even put James! That went down well as you can imagine!

I would always assume the spelling is the most common/traditional one and that if it is not, the person will tell me so. I'm sure people called Kayci would be far less offended at it being written Casey, especially if they didn't spell it out at the time.

why does this matter so much? why can't people accept others' decisions to be unique and do whatever they want? the "most common/traditional" or "standard" way of spelling a name is usually considered the "best" by ethnocentric people. the problem i see is that many white Americans are terribly dismissive of trying to spell and/or pronounce names that are not the "most common/traditional" Eurocentric names. and people wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're so ignorant in the U.S.

sure, these posts are all in fun, but i think we should also be reminded of the assumptions about people's abilities and intelligence that go into our judgements based on their names. what's so "stupid" about spelling Kayci in that manner?

Someone just snapped on a perfectly happy little Topic. I hae gotten soused to seeing my name spelled with two f's instead of a 'ph' and I always JOKE that Stephanie's dont associate themselves with Steffany's... (don't anyone scold me, I was joking I don't make friends based on the spelling of their name)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Bump!

This is hilarious reading for later!
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    had to add a couple more, Jamie Oliver, one of my favourite chefs EVER has named his kids and well, honestly I feel sorry for them

1) Petal Blossom Rainbow - daughter
    2) Daisy Boo Pamela - daughter
    3) Poppy Honey Rosie - daughter
    4) Buddy Bear Maurice - son

Yah, poor kids! So "normal" people aren't the only people who give their kids "odd" names
  • prencesskl
    Options
    HAHAHA!

I used to teach as well, and when ever you saw a kid with a crazy name you knew it was gonna be one heck of a year : )
  • simply2blessed
    Options
    I once conducted business with a lady named Dorcas Bushrod.
  • jazminjes
    Options
    Twin babies Kaluki maluki and wangari maluki... the funny thing is that moms name is Joann .... jeje
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Wow, where to start. No one said it was 'stupid' nor did they make any assumptions about people with those names. If you have to be all serious on a jokey thread the real point is that a lot of people name their kids in unusual ways simply to be unique. That is very unfair on the kid for the reasons you point out; People judge them for it.

If a parent wants to be unique they should change their OWN name. I fail to believe that these unusual spellings and bizarre names are for any reason other than 'being different' for the sake of it.

Oh and I am NOT American, thank you very much.