What is your strangest fear?

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
I hate the undersides of boats. They are just creepy and terrifying and I hate them. Pics like this creep the hell out of me:

prop1.jpg

My worst fear would probably be falling off a cruise ship and being really close to the underside there. I don't know where the fear comes from, and as far as I'm concerned it's sort of a random one.

Ugh. That picture gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Replies

• zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am afraid, more like disgusted by frogs
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of swimming pool drains. I can't be near one and definitely not ON one! (but I'm not alone, I just found out there was a FB group for us drainophobes)

@daffodilsoup: "Titanic" must have freaked you out!!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Nothing strange here, just heights.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of nightlights... :(
  • Cbcarter08
    Cbcarter08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of being near bodies of water in the dark.. Its weird I know
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i have a fear of stepping on small animals and children. This includes insects.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a pervasive fear of heart disease, heart attacks, my heart "just stopping", or exploding, or being stabbed (intentionally or accidentally) in the heart, having my heart skip beats (which it does when I am anxious, which is often), the sound of heart beats, etc, etc, etc... I am cardiophobic so pretty much anything heart-related scares me. I am 29 and in reasonably good health with low blood pressure. I have had a heart phobia for most of my life, and as a child I was also phobic of anything related to blood in a medical sense, but I could always watch gory horror movies with blood (however, even in horror movies, I can't watch heart related anything). I am also scared of balloons, in case they pop, startle me, and stop my heart.... yes, it's obsessive and weird.

Also scared of planes and flying, in case I have a heart attack on the plane (or a panic attack) and am trapped. Most of my other fears are secondary to the heart thing.

I am afraid of being anywhere high up in case I lose control of my senses and "jump off" against my will in a sudden fit of madness. I also worry, occasionally, about going mad and hurting anything or anybody innocent. I have a lot of OCD traits so I have a lot of very specific fears. Hearts, jumping off heights, and unintentionally hurting others (all unlikely to happen) are my biggest.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    camel/spider crickets.....ewwwww
  • ohmywonwon
    Options
    One of the more stranger ones would probably have to be those vacuum pool cleaner things. I call them creepy crawly's lol
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    i'm deathly afraid of going down steps in the winter, esp when i can see there's ice all over them. i move like i'm 99 years old, gripping the rail for dear life.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I actually love that pic of the underside of the boat. Sometimes I think that so-called irrational fears are due to past life experiences (I believe in reincarnation). Maybe you died on the Titanic and the bottom of the boat was the last conscious image you saw in a past life, or any of a million possible past life things... :) ?
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have a pervasive fear of heart disease, heart attacks, my heart "just stopping", or exploding, or being stabbed (intentionally or accidentally) in the heart, having my heart skip beats (which it does when I am anxious, which is often), the sound of heart beats, etc, etc, etc... I am cardiophobic so pretty much anything heart-related scares me. I am 29 and in reasonably good health with low blood pressure. I have had a heart phobia for most of my life, and as a child I was also phobic of anything related to blood in a medical sense, but I could always watch gory horror movies with blood (however, even in horror movies, I can't watch heart related anything). I am also scared of balloons, in case they pop, startle me, and stop my heart.... yes, it's obsessive and weird.

Also scared of planes and flying, in case I have a heart attack on the plane (or a panic attack) and am trapped. Most of my other fears are secondary to the heart thing.

lol you'd hate my job... i'm currently sitting in a blood bank by myself.. def surrounded by the stuff!
  • yessiseguy
    Options
    of falling! i usually wear heels but due to this fear i have definitely
    bought flats and now incorportate them into my wardrobe for the office :)
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    losing something or someone
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of my fingers, or any extremity, being crushed. It's not a debilitating fear because I will do things that involve placing my fingers some where they can be crushed, like when working on a car, but it just kind of freaks me out. But I know why. My Dad was missing his left pinkie. When I was really young I was told an alligator bit it off. Now that made sense because my Dad caught and raised all sorts of reptiles and I grew up around them. So the alligator bite would be sort of crushing. But then as I got older I was told the truth, he was in an accident and the steering wheel collapsed to the dashboard (old truck, metal dash) and crushed his finger. Then when I was 13, I got attacked by a "pet" raccoon and almost lost my left pinkie. I heard my bones crunching when it was biting me. So hence my fear of getting my fingers crushed.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    water where you cant see the bottom, although thats probably fairly rational. Even the thought of swimming in the open sea unless it was crystal clear, or a lake gives me the shivers
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Butterflies. They freak me the hell out.
  • dshelton511
    Options
    im scared to death of octopus and i have no idea why!!!!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I worry about being poked in the eye by a tree branch when I am outside walking or driving. When I am at work I worry about something happening to my dogs in my apt (fire, flood, burglar, etc). I hate flying and try to do it as seldom as possible. I get claustrophobic when locked in small spaces (got locked in a small office at work once and almost had a full blown panic attack). I don't like birds because I worry about them pecking my eyes out, and because they can fly and therefore attack from any direction.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have a few...

I'm scared of the dark. I also had the feeling that there was something under my bed that could only reach out in the dark, so I would try to get someone else to turn the light off for me. Even though I don't think that anymore, I still don't feel safe unless I'm sleeping next to the wall.

I can't swim in lakes or water where you can't see the bottom. I'm really scared of that water grass stuff.

Grape jelly.