Any "Last Stubborn 20 pounders" out there?

Options

Replies

• aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    April---You are going to have to post your before and after photos before long!!!! :wink:

OMGosh...I saw a photos of me recently from the Winter Holidays of '07...I was floored at how bad I really looked. It made me realize how far I've come with just losing about 10 pounds. I'm petite, so every pound counts a LOT as far as showing whether it's for better or worse!

I actually had dh take "on the way" pics of me in my bikini:noway: on Sunday, 4 weeks into P90X. Although I have a long way to go, I didn't want to vomit or hide when I saw them!!:drinker: I'm technologically challenged, so when I get the chance, I'll figure out how to get them, and a face pic, onto mfp!!

I don't really have any good pics of me from the last year, but I'll see what I can find to give you some idea of where I started. My true "before", from about 8 years ago, aren't digital, and I don't have a scanner. They are horrible!!!:mad: I have them tucked away in a cupboard next to the frig for when I'm really in need of some motivation!!!
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks. :D Like everyone else..it's been a long road, but well worth it. Keep it up everyone. We can beat these last few pounds. :D
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    April, you crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...I'm off to go watch my weekly inspiration: The Biggest Loser. (I also found the Aussie vesion on Youtube...omgosh, it's good too, who knew??? :laugh: )!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    What's working for you? I'm in this range, and it's frustrating. I'd love to hear what;'s working for you!!!

I'm in need of a change-up to make my routines more interesting again. Any suggestions???
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I'm currently as frustrated as ever.

I hurt my knee Friday and haven't ran since then. I did lift arms yesterday.

My nutrition has been crap the past couple of weeks. But yesterday, I was on point and I feel rejuvenated and ready to keep going.

Mickie, what's been going on with you?
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I'm currently as frustrated as ever.

I hurt my knee Friday and haven't ran since then. I did lift arms yesterday.

My nutrition has been crap the past couple of weeks. But yesterday, I was on point and I feel rejuvenated and ready to keep going.

Mickie, what's been going on with you?

I've been doing okay, then the past two weekends have involved major Food Festivities that I was involved with. UGH!!! It's caught up to me and I'm putting on weight again. I swear I still workout all the time, but OMGosh...it's getting O-L-D, OLD!!!! So I'm looking for something fresh to do, to keep me excited about exercising.

I'm really sorry to hear about your knee...I really do understand, I had sugery a year ago on my left one, and I thought I would never get back to my old self...but I did!!! :happy: Be patient (harder to do than to say, I know). I'm impressed that you are still working out your upper body, good for you!!! Keep it up!!!
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Hi, Mickie and 12by311!

It's been a while! Mickie, I have to say P90X is THE THING!!!!!! I'm pretty consistent with the routine- 95%, and about 90% good with the nutrition. My shape has changed drastically! I've lost about 2 pants sizes and am much more toned everywhere!!!

Again, when I can figure out the technical thing, I'll post pics- day 60 pics next week.:drinker:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I've got to do this...what would be a good price for it? I surfed the web on it a few weeks ago...and it was a little pricey for a recently laid off teacher. :happy:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    YES - I work out often but I have been probably between 10-20 lbs overweight for 10 years, and as I get older it's getting harder. I've just started "Making the Cut" Jillian says its specifically designed for me ! Lets hope !! I think the giving up of the alcohol will be the most difficult, not that I drink a lot, but I do enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend. I'm about the same as songbyrdsweet, so I would love to know how you are achieving your goal....
    154936.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

As you get older--you might not even be done growing! :laugh: :wink:
    When I was your age 4 years ago, I was 154 and over 30% body fat. It has taken a long time to get where I am now and my body doesn't look anything like it did then. It has just taken a lot of trial and error, a ton of hard work, and a lot of patience. I haven't done anything drastically different from what you see here--counting calories and exercising. I just don't give up when I get stuck and I keep track of what does and doesn't work so I can avoid my wheels spinning in the mud. I also don't kid myself into thinking I'm working when I'm not...my workouts are really intense. That stopped me from just looking like a smaller version of my flabby self. :laugh:

I'm frustrated as well. I'm at 143, eating 1200, exercising eliptical 25 (hard), strength training 15 minutes or so, and recumbent bike at home 15 minutes. I guess it boils down to i want it off faster, i'm not a patient person. anybody else feel the same??????????? :frown:
  • ktduitsman
    ktduitsman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have had months & months of not loosing weight! :grumble: I wish there was a simple, easy way to this! Professionals say, as long as you are moving & eating right it is all about the numbers in & out. I think that is a crock b/c I have done that forever & still no go! Wish I had the answers for you!! Good luck
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Grrr...I feel ya! Same boat...20lbs left...seems like a big enough number that it would still come off easier.
    Right now, I'm just aiming to maintain. Headed out now to a different YMCA...gonna see if they have some new classes I can get excited about! Something fun! I'm driving myself crazy worrying about it all the time.

I did much better when I 1st started...THINK HEALTHY...not #'s...before I knew it 33 lbs gone.

Train the brain! :)

laurie
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I am...I've been basically maintaining since the holidays and I kept trying to kid myself and say that I was still doing OK....but I haven't been as consistent with my workouts lately. I think it began when I sold my elliptical. That always gave me a solid workout. I think I'm going to get another one and start kicking my own *kitten* again!:laugh:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I workout abotu 2 1/2 hours almost every single day...and YES, I get so frustrated. I think I need to be hypnotized or something????
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Sounds like you got the exercise part down. I haven't read this entire thread so maybe you described your eating habits already. I have struggled with the last few pounds as well and have recently been told a few suggestions to try and they seem to be working.

Eat 6 meals a day.
    Lots of lean protein (Chicken, Fish, lean beef)
    Have good carbs (wheat toast, oatmeal...) for breakfast and lunch (sweet potato...)
    After lunch only have carbs that come in veggies ( salad, squash, spinach...)
    Cutting back on the carbs after lunch helps your body get rid of those carbs the rest of the day and allows your body to burn fat while you sleep!
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Hi, everyone! It's great to see this thread alive again!

Not that I'm an expert, but I think I may finally have found the trick, after YEARS of moderate fitness and moderate nutrition control. Although I have only lost 4 pounds in the last 7.5 weeks, I have lost over a pants size and changed my entire shape. I am still not where I want to be, but I finally see the possibility of having a body that I'm proud of.

My 3 break-throughs:

1) track your calories consumed and calories burned honestly and eat MOST of your exercise calories back! Not only does this give your body enough fuel for exercise, it's much easier to stick with good eating and make good choices when you get 1500-1600 calories a day as opposed to 1200.

2) find an exercise routine- not a single exercise but something that combines cardio, strength, core, and stretching on different days- that you can stick with. But most importantly, you must PUSH yourself, as long as you don't have any physical reasons not to. You MUST get out of your comfort zone!!!! I have found P90X. It's the thing for me, that keeps me pushing play even when I don't want to.

3) finally, you must overcome those last bad habits. Now, I'm not into perfection. I think perfection sets you up to fail. However, when I want to nosh on the chips after dinner while watching TV, I don't completely deny myself, but I modify- I eat carrots with low-fat dip. BUT, if I really must, I'll put a small amount in a bowl- no more eating out of the bag!!!! You must start making better choices- the "I burned a lot of calories at the gym so I can have a cheeseburger and fries for lunch" mentality doesn't work.

Be patient! Forgive yourself! Try to be more controlled with bad choices- see them for what they are, try to account for them if you see them coming, and push play the next day and continue on your journey!!:flowerforyou:
  • 12by311
    Options
    Thanks for that aprilvet.

I saw that you mentioned p90x. I'm seriously thinking about getting it. My coworker just started it and he's pretty much in the best shape a person can be in, and he said it was an awesome workout.

I really struggle with getting enough protein. I never realized that I just don't eat that many foods with protein. I eat a lot of veggies and fruits...so I have to consciously think about protein. And I've had to cut back on fruit. :frown:

When I first lost the 23 lbs I packed on during college, I could eat whatever, was mainly concerned with calories. Now, with less to lose, I can tell that my body is majorly sensitive to carbs and sugar.
  • 12by311
    Options
    Triple post! :grumble:
  • 12by311
    Options
  • aprilvet
    Options
    I've got to do this...what would be a good price for it? I surfed the web on it a few weeks ago...and it was a little pricey for a recently laid off teacher. :happy:

Mickie,

The best price I found was actually thru beachbody- $120. You might look for it thru ebay or craig's list but make sure it comes with the plan and nutrition guide, not just the dvds.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 more before I hit my driver's license weight, though it's 12 before I'm in the "healthy" range.

I'm doing P90X though so I'm just doing the slimming thing and not watching the weight as much as I am the photos, hehe. I have one in my profile that shows me at Day 1 and Day 25 with only a 2 lb difference. But what a difference!

Hey april, what did you do to your photos? I don't see any in your profile.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!