did you just say i was pregnant EXSUSE YOU?

Options
Has anyone ever turned around to you and asked how many weeks pregnant you were and u you were not even pregnant just a bit over weight? This has happened to me about 4 times this year its so rude of people to randomley ask you how many weeks pregnant you are wen your not even pregnant? Like dont you think maybe its just fat? what have been your come backs in regards to this or am i the only one

Replies

• zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I kinda had the opposite, was pregnant and a lot of people were surprised when I had the baby, hid it well under all the fat lol -_-

but yeah it is a bit rude, I was talking to a lady yesterday who looked pregnant and I was gonna ask her when she's due but thought I'd best not just incase she wasn't!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Even if you were pregnant, it's still rude. I don't see how it's any random stranger's business.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's even worse when they say it...

AND YOU'RE A MAN!
    At least with you it might have been innocent.
    With me?
    PURE RIDICULE!

But that's what got me off my rear and into the gym - lost 64 lbs - no longer pregnant...lol
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've had someone ask me when I was slim!!
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    YES!!

At work earlier this year the manager started giving me weird looks all day....and then she patted my belly and asked how far along I was!! I was mortified!
  • adlwilmot
    Options
    It's called being polite, taking a interest in someone, being friendly... As long as they're not asking you how many weeks pregnant you are, when they know damn well you're NOT preganant, and just want to upset you by saying in a roundabout way that you're FAT, I don't see the issue. If they ARE being genuine, then what does that tell you? And if you don't recognise this problem yourself, then why are you on MFP?

My comeback would be "I'm not pregnant with a baby, I'm just storing fat for World War III. But let's be optimistic, that isn't going to happen, so thanks for pointing out that my fat stores hopefully won't be required. I'll do something about getting rid of them"

Very few people would say something to purposefully hurt you. They either genuinely think you're pregnant, or are too stupid to contemplate the fact it might be fat and not a baby, and engage their mouth before their brain.

Think about it, if you weren't "fat" they wouldn't be saying it. So who's the one with the problem? One they're actively looking to sort out? I've just shifted my "4 month bump" :-)
  • lucysposaro
    lucysposaro Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I got asked by a male jhow many weeks along i was and then i turned around said i had a baby 3 years ago....i was like so angry and upset at the same time.I also had a lady come up to me and ask as well so rude
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    It's called being polite, taking a interest in someone, being friendly... As long as they're not asking you how many weeks pregnant you are, when they know damn well you're NOT preganant, and just want to upset you by saying in a roundabout way that you're FAT, I don't see the issue. If they ARE being genuine, then what does that tell you? And if you don't recognise this problem yourself, then why are you on MFP?

My comeback would be "I'm not pregnant with a baby, I'm just storing fat for World War III. But let's be optimistic, that isn't going to happen, so thanks for pointing out that my fat stores hopefully won't be required. I'll do something about getting rid of them"

Very few people would say something to purposefully hurt you. They either genuinely think you're pregnant, or are too stupid to contemplate the fact it might be fat and not a baby, and engage their mouth before their brain.

Think about it, if you weren't "fat" they wouldn't be saying it. So who's the one with the problem? One they're actively looking to sort out? I've just shifted my "4 month bump" :-)

If they were being polite and taking an interest in you, why would your come back be so sarcastic? I would rather suspect if you felt they were genuinely interested in your welfare you'd say something like, "I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable, but actually, I'm not pregnant. I'm aware of my weight issue and I'm working on it." Where as your comment rude to someone who was interested/excited about your situation.

So, the one with the problem is the one who makes comments about the size of others.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    a few years ago i went shopping one night with my brother. Outside the store in the parking lot as we were leaving some guy probably in his 50's was standing by his truck (next to our car) with his labrador. The lab was very friendly and came right up to me and jumped to put his paws on my stomach. I thought it was cute he was being playful. The guy instantly yelled at the dog and said "No No!!! Down!! She's pregnant, you dont wanna hurt the baby!!!" I felt so upset/angry instantly.. My bother was right there and gave the guy a weird look and we just left.. In the car my bro said "did he actually just say that to you??" I said "yep, and all i thought i had was FAT! Who knew i was having a baby too!" Tried to joke about it to make myself feel better but it really bothered me. My bro thought the guy was rude as well.. One of the most crappy awkward moments ive ever had.
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    I had that in Italy once (we'd been walking around all day and I was dying for the loo and was swelling up coz of it)

A lovely older lady patted my belly and happily said 'bambino?'

I said 'no - I'm bursting for a wee!!!'

She thought it was hilarious when I came back out of the ladies and my 'bump' had disappeared!!! :)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

It'd still be none of their business if I was pregnant. And fat =/= a problem. Unhealthy is a problem (for you and you alone), but fat doesn't automatically = unhealthy.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It's called being polite, taking a interest in someone, being friendly...
    It is not polite to ask someone about what is going on in their uterus. Ever. To quote the great Dave Barry, "Never ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you see an actual baby emerging from her".
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This was many years ago, but we were at my Grandfather's wake and my Aunt came up to me and patted my belly and said when is this one due? I said I'm not pregnant...she said oh well you look like you are. Bothered the crap out of me.
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Definitely not polite; definitely rude, rude, RUDE. It is just hurtful to someone who isn't. You don't even have to be "fat" or have any kind of weight issue to have someone ask you that. I once had a woman ask me that when I was younger and had a perfectly flat stomach. When I looked at her perplexed, she said, "Oh I wondered because you are busty." Yeah, she was just being polite. Barf.

I agree with the Dave Berry comment the previous poster shared.

I am sorry someone hurt your feelings like that. Been there.
  • debswebby
    Options
    A stranger asked me once if I was pregnant. I was sat in the launderette in the only clothes I had left that didn't need washing. She looked so pleased for me that I played along. I told her that I was and we had a lovely conversation about whether it would be a boy or a girl. My husband had to carry the heavy bags as well because, I was, after all, in no fit state :wink:

She wasn't asking me to be nasty, she was genuinely pleased that I could be. What was the point of upsetting her and myself by saying "no I'm just fat".

If someone asked me and was being nasty I would just tell them to *kitten* off :laugh:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    a few years ago i went shopping one night with my brother. Outside the store in the parking lot as we were leaving some guy probably in his 50's was standing by his truck (next to our car) with his labrador. The lab was very friendly and came right up to me and jumped to put his paws on my stomach. I thought it was cute he was being playful. The guy instantly yelled at the dog and said "No No!!! Down!! She's pregnant, you dont wanna hurt the baby!!!" I felt so upset/angry instantly.. My bother was right there and gave the guy a weird look and we just left.. In the car my bro said "did he actually just say that to you??" I said "yep, and all i thought i had was FAT! Who knew i was having a baby too!" Tried to joke about it to make myself feel better but it really bothered me. My bro thought the guy was rude as well.. One of the most crappy awkward moments ive ever had.

Why was that rude of him? He didn't want his dog to harm a pregnant woman. Do you think he really wanted to say get down off of that overweight woman? He was showing concern. I have been on the receiving end of the how far along are you and when are you due questions. The people asking weren't being rude, they were excited. It was my problem that I let myself get to the point that I looked pregnant, not theirs.
  • amber_bamber09
    amber_bamber09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think this is a touchy subject. I would never ask that question unless I had been told by the person or had a few hints from them in general conversation. I have been asked this myself. The worst one I've had so far was a customer at my shop asked me if I was my younger sisters mother. I'm only 16 months older than her. My mother is 44...I'm 20. I can't wait to get this weight off so people stop making such rude comments. I try to turn it into extra motivation but sometimes emotion sets in and you just can't help but be upset by it.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    lol yes it has happened to me this year. To be fair it was a case of mistaken identity because another mum in my child's class was pregnant, though I obviously did have that look about me. Worst of it was, the woman who offered congratulations spotted me from a distance and kind of run towards me with the big smile and open arms. I flippin knew what she was going to say before she got there lol.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever turned around to you and asked how many weeks pregnant you were and u you were not even pregnant just a bit over weight? This has happened to me about 4 times this year its so rude of people to randomley ask you how many weeks pregnant you are wen your not even pregnant? Like dont you think maybe its just fat? what have been your come backs in regards to this or am i the only one

Well.... maybe that should tell you something...? Yes, I said it.

Generally people are happy & excited about babies, so they're trying to share the enthusiasm that you'd have if you were.
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me many years ago and in my opinion there's nothing worse than someone thinking you're pregnant when you're not. Humiliating.