please tell me i'm not the only one.

Options
i really want to move out of the country before the government takes away all of my rights completely. with all of the new laws being passed to censor people's opinions in the media, increasing the taxes, and rick perry trying to run for president, i want to get out asap. people think i'm joking but i just have this feeling that things are going to take a turn for the worse very shortly. anybody else in america feeling this way right now?

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat tempted to jump ship to Canada.
    On the other hand it feels wrong to just give up instead of fight to make things better here.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My fiance hates all things government and would want to do the same, but there is no way we can afford that.

He also said there was a bill trying to get passed that could imprision people without trial or evidence, but I don't know if that's true.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    On the other hand it feels wrong to just give up instead of fight to make things better here.

i've been contemplating canada. but the way things are turning out - it seems to me like OWS protesters are going to start being beaten or arrested for trying to change anything. the same thing going on in syria and what happened in egypt this past january. and they've BEEN fighting to no avail.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Relax, you're just suffering from media overexposure.

No matter where you go you won't be as well off as you are here in the USA.

The same things have been going on since not only the 1960's, but all the way back to the early 1800's.

People have also been predicting the end of the world for the past several hundred years.

My sister is falling prey to some of these people who are promoting their scare tactics. They say the fecal matter is going to strike the oscillating device and the whole economy will collapse and there will be roving bands of thieves coming to steal your food and fuel. But oddly enough, if you wish to spend some money with these guys they will be happy to sell you books on how to protect yourself, storage units to keep your food, secret lockers to hide your stuff, and freeze-dried food enough to last you a year.
    Follow the money trail..those who are looking to make a profit off the 'current conditions' are not to be trusted.
  • thesmellofapples
    Options
    My fiance hates all things government and would want to do the same, but there is no way we can afford that.

He also said there was a bill trying to get passed that could imprision people without trial or evidence, but I don't know if that's true.

yeah that's another bill that's working towards being passed. i really didn't think it would go through but with everything else going on i'm pretty sure it can make it through easily.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Apparently you have not experienced living in another country...like Cuba or Mexico....why do you think they are all risking their lives to come here????
  • cobracars
    Options
    x2

At least here so far the drug lords are not cutting off people's heads.
  • thesmellofapples
    Options
    Apparently you have not experienced living in another country...like Cuba or Mexico....why do you think they are all risking their lives to come here????

i really just want to move to canada. it's nice and cold and there's lots of hockey and health care.
  • Redfieldr
    Options
    It if were an option I'd be somewhere else
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

i really just want to move to canada. it's nice and cold and there's lots of hockey and health care.

While the health care system is nice, i've heard it takes forever to be seen for primary care.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    The answer is not to get out of the country. The solution to the problem is to take a stand, get active in politics, vote, DO SOMETHING to better the country.
  • cscheiern
    Options
    I agree this country is going down for many reasons but in my opinion it is still better than any other. so far...
  • cobracars
    Options
    There's health care in the USA.

Here you either pay for it when you need it or get an employer to pay for you, or accept the limited care the government hands out.

In Canada you pay for it with your taxes and accept the limited care the government hands out.

I don't see much benefit of theirs over ours.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I moved to the US from Australia 3 years ago and I tell you, I prefer living here. In Australia the taxes are insane and the government has much more control over you.
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Guess there are American's and their are fair weather Americans...

I'm proud to say I am an American :heart: - In good times and in bad, this is the best country in the world! I wholeheartedly welcome all those that don't agree to find happiness elsewhere - Maybe it's the lack of faith that is half the problem...
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am extremely excited to take my US citizenship test next year! :bigsmile:
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am extremely excited to take my US citizenship test next year! :bigsmile:

I am excited for you! The best of luck!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Ask someone from Canada how much milk cost. They drive here to Michigan for groceries.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options

i've been contemplating canada. but the way things are turning out - it seems to me like OWS protesters are going to start being beaten or arrested for trying to change anything. the same thing going on in syria and what happened in egypt this past january. and they've BEEN fighting to no avail.

You do realize the Occupy people are breaking THOUSANDS of laws not the least of which is tresspassing and destruction of propery.. they have been asked to leave hundreds of times. They are lucky they are just getting tear gassed and arrested. They are PART of the problem.. not the solution.

I'm guessing you don't vote, so you're not voicing your opinion...
  • thesmellofapples
    Options
    The answer is not to get out of the country. The solution to the problem is to take a stand, get active in politics, vote, DO SOMETHING to better the country.

funny thing is i do. i vote and i've gone to a couple city council meetings. and i went to the gulf to help clean up the oil spill. i do clean up projects for my city and i have gone to 18 protests. i recycle and i rescue abandoned animals. i make differences here and there but nothing that can make a sufficient change to the government.