50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Wishing all the mother's on here a very Happy Mother's Day:flowerforyou: Hope you are all having a great day. I am getting a little bit stronger everyday. Hopefully will get back on track with exercising within the next couple of days:bigsmile:

Cheers to all:drinker:

Marie:heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: weaklink..that is great. i would love to do that. If I did I would be so close to my FIRST goal. And then I could set another one.:laugh:

Happy Mothers Day to all of you. You are all a great bunch of women.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day - Happy Sunday!!!!!!

Anne - thank you for sharing the wise with me - i don't know - i don't always feel so wise! :tongue: You're doing great with the smileys!!!!!!!

Pam - i'm with you , i don't know how the kids grew up so fast. I can remember my sister in law a about 4 years ago asking me "who ever thought you'd have men for kids"?

Nancy - no WONDER you've had weight issues! A chef and a pastry chef for kids!!!!!! I'm sorry your girls are so far away - but at least they're together! I love that the 1 twin couldn't stand to be away from her sister!

Barb - omg - another pound?!?!?!? OK, so i'm a little jealous right now!!!!! Of course, you probably didn't eat a giant veggie burger with onion straws and bar b q sauce today like i did. I'm not feeling guilty - i had too much fun:smile: OH! do tell about the Star Trek movie!!!!!!! I really want to see it! Was it good???????

No working out today - no time. I put my new doornob on this morning then went and met my dil for a little shopping and lunch. i bought a few things at a store she shops at called "Forever 21" which was kind of a kick and she assured me that i don't look like i'm about to be 57 which was kinda fun too! But of COURSE she would say that:laugh: We also got to talk to my son/her husband online while we were having lunch so that was a blast!:bigsmile:

Marie - hope this week you'll be totally back to yourself!

OK, i'm done in for the day:yawn: talk to you all next week! :heart: elli
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. We got back from our trip this afternoon. I did pretty good. We ate right and we exercised a lot. We love to walk so we walked everywehre we went. I worked out a little at the hotel gym and swam once. When we got hoe I swam in my pool and then we went to the gym for an hour. I weigh on Wed. but think I am doing good. Went shopping today to try on clothes and they really looked nice on me. All of you keep up the good work. I reallly enjoy this group.:heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone!

Just a quick note to say I managed to walk 5.6 miles today, not sunny, but not rainy either, cloudy and comfy, lots of flowers:flowerforyou: and the birds sang a pleasant chorus.

There weren't many people out on the trail today, considering it was a Sunday. One lady had an unusual way of celebrating Mother's Day. SHE was riding the bike pulling the trailer that carried the two kids, while dad rode along solo. :noway: Chivalry is a lost art, apparently!!:laugh: :laugh:

I had to really push myself on the return leg of my round trip because while I was walking, the people I planned to go to the movie with decided they wanted to meet 30 minutes earlier than I had planned, so that meant I had almost no time to get ready.

My one friend was convinced we wouldn't get tickets unless we were there 40 minutes before the show started, so I said, "why don't you order them online?" That was done and then she STILL wanted to go early to get a good seat.

I did manage to get back, do the fastest bath and hair dry in history, and meet some of those who were going so we could go in one car. OF course we got there, had to wait about 25 mins for the other showing to get out and for the theater to be cleaned up. When we entered the theater, there were only about 2 dozen people behind us, and the rest filled in after the preview started.

The movie-Star Trek--was the kind you should see on the big screen the first time, lots of action, and even though I am no expert on Star Trek lore, I know enough about the series to see the connection between things in the movie and from the tv series. All the actors who play younger versions of the series orginals did a great job. I didn't realize until after the movie was over that Winona Ryder was in the movie. She played Spock's mother.

The movie must have been good, because it kept me from realizing I was starving until it was over. By this time it was after 7:30pm, and since my breakfast, I had only eaten a 100 calorie pack of Craisins & some almonds on the trail and an apple and some cheese while driving to meet my friends.

I finally had dinner about 8p and it disappeared QUICKLY. I stopped over at my parents, who live only about 3 blocks from the people I was with at the movies. I brought a Smart Ones with me and had some veggies to boot. Still only went about 100 calories over my calorie limit, before exercise calories, but those 2 homemade chocolate chip cookies were worth it!!:drinker: :drinker:

Would you believe my 93 year old mother decided to "relax" for the afternoon by making toll house cookies?:noway: As you may have guessed insanity runs in my family!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Well, once again I am going to bed too late.:yawn: :yawn:

Barb
  • weedietoday
    weedietoday Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm back! Have had the last couple of weeks from you-know-where. Husband continues with health issues, with lots of MDs, diagnostics, and treatments; and I've been orienting for my 2nd part time job - in addition to my full-time job! (I think that may make 3, but I don't have time to count!). Hope all had a good Mother's Day. I worked, but my children found the time to find me and wish me all the good stuff. I've tried to be diligent in my eating during this hectic time, and weighed this morning. I didn't gain! Checking in with the diet log this morning already made me feel a bit more in control. So, I'm back - if al you wonderful, supportive ladies will have me back!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Sounds like everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day.

I was very disappointed to weigh in this morning and find I am up 2 pounds from Friday. Guess I didn't drink enough water over the weekend to keep things flushed out. I'll remedy that today.

My Mother's Day was a mixture of bitter and sweet. The day started in a rush when hubby and I realized we overslept. The first song was almost over by the time we walked into church service so we didn't have much choice where to sit. I ended up by this sweet elderly couple, which was fine by me ~ until the music stopped and I began to hear the all too familiar pop of his oxygen as he inhaled. That tiny rhythmic sound ruined the service for me. I did my best to concentrate on the sermon, but all I could think of was sitting next to Moma breathing that way... and that it was Mother's Day and she wasn't sitting beside me. :sad: I did my best to hold back the tears until we got to the car and then I just lost it! :sad:

Things steadily improved once we got home. Hubby served me lunch out on the patio. We enjoying the sunshine and warm temperatures and were entertained by barn swallows and a mocking bird. Afterwards we napped and then I made the salad I took to our family supper with the in-laws. My BiL grilled chicken and all us moms brought our favorite salad. I made a spinach salad with pecans and strawberries. Yum! Both my kids called a bit later, then we finished the evening watching the latest James Bond movie on DVD. Hubby loved it, but I don't think Daniel Craig is good looking enough to be Bond. :tongue: I never minded watching Bond with hubby with eye candy like Pierce Brosnan...

I'm about to do some strength training and then its off to get another therapeutic massage. I'm determined to get this kink out of my neck once and for all! Happy Monday y'all! :flowerforyou:
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mornin'

Weedie, we are just glad you're back. Times sound like they have been tough, so congrats for not gaining. Stress alone can cause weight gain so you must be something right. Hang in there.

2nd Mother's day for me without my son, but I did a video chat w/ my daughter and her family. Neela (who just turned 2) thinks Nana is someone who lives in the computer and sings songs. You know...there's Barney and then there's Nana! It will no doubt be a surprise when I show up in person.
    Just 16 more days!:bigsmile:

Been working in the gardens for exercise, but did do an abbreviated version of my workout this morning before I came to work. I know how much difference the exercise added to the food awareness makes, but boy it's hard to get to it some mornings:grumble:

Have a wonderful day and remember we care, Diane
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Suezzz,

You posted just before I did so I hadn't read yours. Sorry about missing your Mom. I cried in church too, It;s OK to be sad:cry: I'm glad the rest of the day improved. Diane
  • lose2cruise
    lose2cruise Posts: 107
    Options
    Had a good day yesterday. DH gave me a beautiful necklace for Mother's Day. I made lunch for all the family and took it to my mother's house. DB and his family were there. It was nice getting everyone together. They had to leave and after, DH took my mother's car and washed and vaccumed it, while I cleaned out her garage. Mom is 89 and gets around on a walker and just can do these things any more.
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI ALL,

NANCY, WE HAD THE BEST WEATHER THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS. NOW, IT IS HITTING 96 THE PAST FEW DAYS. I LIVE IN ST. CLOUD FL. I AM ENJOYING THE SMILEY FACES, THANKS AGAIN. :smile:
    HAVING A CHEF IN THE FAMILY COULD BE A PLUS IF HE WOULD BE MORE OPEN TO LIGHT OR NO FAT FOODS. THINK OF THE RECIPES HE COULD COME UP WITH. THERE IS BIG MONEY IN BOOKS ON LOW CAL RECIPES. WRITE A BOOK.

BARB, GREAT NEWS, ANOTHER POUND GONE:flowerforyou: IF THAT IS WHAT CRAISINS CAN DO, I WILL GO GET SOME FAST. GOOD WORK! GLAD YOU ENJOYED THE MOVIE AND HAD A NICE DAY. YOUR MOM IS MY KIND OF SENIOR CITIZEN. HOW DO YOU THINK THESE PEOPLE LIVE SO LONG? THEY STAY ACTIVE. I HAVE A FRIEND 91 THAT MAKES DOZENS OF BANANA BREADS AND GIVES THEM TO EVERYONE. SHE IS NEVER IDLE. GOOD FOR MOM.

MARIE, HOPE THIS WEEK BRINGS YOU TOTALLY GOOD HEALTH.

ELLI, I WENT SHOPPING TOO,WITH MY SON AND DAUGHTER IN LAW. I COULDN'T THINK OF ANYTHING FOR THEM TO BUY ME SO THEY THOUGHT IF THEY TOOK ME SHOPPING I MIGHT COME UP WITH SOMETHING. I DIDN'T BUT I ENJOYED IT ANYWAY. AT MY AGE, I JUST DON'T NEED ANYTHING AND REALLY DON'T WANT ANY MORE "THINGS". IT MAKES IT HARD ON THE FAMILY.
    MY OTHER SON JOINED US TO EAT OUT AND I DID LET THEM BUY ME SOME HANGING PLANTS. NOW IN THE MORNING I CAN SEE THEM FROM MY BEDROOM WINDOW,SO PRETTY. VERY GLAD YOU HAD A FUN DAY.

VICKIM, GOOD FOR YOU TO STAY ON TRACK ON MOTHER'S DAY. YOUR ANOTHER ONE WHO WENT SHOPPING. I WOULD NEVER THINK OF GOING OUT TO SHOP, BUT IT TURNED OUT NICE.
    WE ALWAYS SPENT MOM'S DAY IN THE HOUSE WITH MY MOM AFTER SHE BECAME ILL. I ALWAYS ENJOY CHURCH AND THAT WAS ALSO PART OF MY DAY. GLAD YOU ENJOY THE GROUP.

WEEDIE, WELCOME BACK AND HOPE THINGS WILL GET BETTER FOR YOU. ALSO HOPE YOUR HUSBAND'S HEALTH IMPROVES.

SUSAN, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, MISSING YOUR MOM. ONE REMINDER CAN SET US OFF. MY SWEET DAUGHTER IN LAW GAVE ME THREE POEMS IN MY CARD. ONE WAS THE LYRICS OF A VERY OLD SONG CALLED MOTHER (PERHAPS I AM OLDER SO NO ONE WILL KNOW IT, IT STARTS M IS FOR THE MILLION THINGS SHE GAVE ME, O MEANS ONLY THAT SHE'S GROWING OLD, T IS FOR THE TEARS SHE SHED TO SAVE ME, H IS FOR HER HEART OF PUREST GOLD AND SO ON)
    WELL, THAT WAS THE SONG I SANG TO MY MOM EVERY MOM'S DAY BECAUSE SHE SANG IT TO HER MOM. I HAD TO GO TO MY ROOM AND CRY. I GAINED CONTROL AND THEN HAD A LOVELY DAY. MY MOM PASSED AWAY A WEEK BEFORE MOTHER'S DAY 2006. I'M SO GLAD THAT THE REST OF YOUR DAY WAS LOVELY TOO.:heart:

DIANE, WHILE SOME MOURN THEIR MOM, OTHERS, LIKE YOU, FEEL THE DEEP LOSS OF A CHILD WHO IS NOT THERE TO SAY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.:heart:

OK, ARE YOU READY, HERE ARE SOME QUOTES FOR YOU ALL::bigsmile:

OUR GREATEST GLORY CONSISTS NOT IN NEVER FAILING, BUT IN RISING EVERY TIME WE FALL.

NOTHING GREAT IS CREATED SUDDENLY, ANY MORE THAN A BUNCH OF GRAPES OR A FIG.

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW SLOWLY YOU GO, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T STOP.

LET US STRIVE TO IMPROVE OURSELVES, FOR WE CANNOT REMAIN STATIONARY; ONE EITHER PROGRESSES OR RETROGRADES.

HAPPY MONDAY,
    ANNE
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning all

Hope everyone had a great weekend

We actually had snow on Saturday but of course it didn't last.

I had a good Mothers day although I shed more than a few tears for my mom too. My heart goes out to those who have also lost your mom or a child. I keep my mom in my memory's eye and carry her with me always.:heart:

I fell a tad short of my exercise goals for the weekend - but still I am pleased with my efforts.
    my goal was to walk 10 km - made 9 of those:happy: Unfortunately I didn't do the dvd workout because my tennis elbow (more like tennis "whole arm") is getting worse instead of better. Due in part to my own lack of discipline taking the medication. It is hard to take because it makes me feel sick. Starting this a.m. I vowed to take it every day for 10 days to see if it goes away. I got a couple of floor exercises off the internet that I'm going to try to do that won't interfere with healing my heel and my arm.

Good news is I lost 2 lbs. Bad new is I found it again - but I won't count that because I shouldn't have been on the scale anyway!! I only record Saturday's weight :tongue: I will be down 2 more from that weigh in by Saturday the 16th.
    I got a gentle reminder last night to keep myself on track - Although I chose wisely off the buffet, for the most part, my stomach was upset and I had to take antacids to get settled for the night. So good food = Good feeling.

Goal for today:
    Walk 40-60 minutes - two or three trips
    eat 3 fruit and 3-4 veggies
    Laugh in the face of adversity:laugh: :laugh:

Anne - good quotes. as usual I especially can relate to the going slow is okay as long as I don't stop.

Have a good one

Heather
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi, everyone,
    Nice to read all your posts. Won't try to respond to all but

Susan - I decided this MD that before next year I think I'll try to adopt a needy Mom,one whose kids are too far away or who maybe just not thoughtful enough, or a single Mom whose kids are too little to show her care. I still my Mom so much, she was gone so early. Both maternal gramma and great grandmother lived well into their 90's and Mom died in her 70s after a lengthy illness.

One single mom I know commented this Sunday, 'No one ever gives me flowers'.

Another idea is in giving a gift to a 3rd world woman in honour of our Moms. One organization will give a sewing machine to a woman in India which gives her a chance of earning a good living.

Well, folks, that's all for now.

Ellen
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: We’re back in the land of wifi. Now we’re in Garberville, CA in the heart of the redwoods. When we lived in California we drove past this golf course/RV park hundreds of times and Jake would point to the golf course and say, “I’d love to play that course”. Finally he got the chance. I rode with him in the cart for 9 holes and got to enjoy what a beautiful site this is for playing golf. He got all the exercise while I sat in the cart. The one time I got out to walk around, I distracted him and messed up his shot so I decided to stay in the cart and do my walking later.

We had a good time in Vacaville. We went there for an event that allowed us to see a lot of people we don’t get to see often. We had last seen many of them in November and they were startled by how much weight we had both lost. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

We’ve stuck strictly to our eating plan (including skipping the catered lunch and coming back to the rig to eat our planned meal and walk the dogs). Exercise hasn’t been as easy. I’ve had to go out and walk around the RV park at night just to walk the 10,000 steps a day I set as my goal. We still haven’t tried doing the yoga DVD in the rig, but maybe today we’ll do it.

We invited a friend back to the rig to eat with us and he said that he probably couldn’t eat with us because of his health problems and strict rules about eating. When we told him what we were eating he could hardly believe that it was exactly like what he could eat. It was 4.5 ounces of chicken breast cooked on the George Foreman, salad with spray dressing, and broiled fresh vegetables (squash, peppers, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes).

Today is my weigh in day and I lost two more pounds. YIPPEE !!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

When we got here yesterday I got a chance to read what everybody wrote and it made me smile and laugh but I’m not going to try and comment.

I’m glad that you were able to enjoy Mothers’ Day even with the many challenges that you all face. My stepchildren did nothing for me (they rarely do), the pets ignored the event (they always do) and Jake respected my wishes for no card, gift, or special meal and instead has taken on the job of dishwasher. It reminded me of when my mother told me that she wanted no more gifts, just services. I have reached that place.

I am grateful that today I woke up once again willing to continue eating and exercising as I’ve been doing for almost four months. If I can do that on a daily basis then all things are possible
    Big hugs to all of you
    your encouragement is priceless.:heart::heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Congrats to those who lost two pounds.
    Benson..you lose like I do. I am losing ad regaining the same three pounds.
    Susan..I am sorry. I can emphasis with you. I lost my mother on May 4, 1976. Mothers Day came too soon that year.
  • TeenTchr
    TeenTchr Posts: 19
    Options
    I just tried on my formals and 2 actually fit. One to go then I'll have choices for the prom I am chaperoning next week. I'm just excited I won't have to buy one this year. :tongue:

Next goal: we are going on a cruise the end of July. My son and I are competing to see who loses the greatest percentage of body fat. The winner gets a massage! So far I am behind, but not losing faith. Any suggestions? :glasses:

148904.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: TeenTchr...It isn't fair but males can lose better than females. I have witnessed this with my husband. So frustrating. They have more fat burning muscles and I think their metabolism is faster. Be sure to eat enough so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Drink lots of water. I am upping my water consumption in the hopes of losing better.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    ditto on how men lose faster than women

jake and I have been following this path together for the same amount of time.

I dance four days a week , walk at the dog park for an hour a day, average 14,000 steps on my step counter, and bounce around all the time. He watches a lot of TV and is not nearly as active as i am.

He has lost 57 pounds and I've lost 32.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone--

I survived the day, despite not getting enough sleep and not taking a nap this afternoon. The doggies and I together are up to just under 2 miles RT once a day now, as long as it is cool. On a warm day, we don't go nearly that far, as I don't want to end up with a couple of "hot dogs"!!:laugh:

On Saturday, I took my babies to a routine vet exam and by the time I was finished, I had to pay $230 to "bail them out." Mai Li has a yeast infection in one ear, and Pepper has a urinary infection, and crystals in his urine that indicates a possibility of developing kidney stones, so he is now on a special food--a large bag of that set me back another $46!! I love my babies, but these kind of surprises I can live without!!:grumble:

I am now giving Pepper a chewable antibiotic. No problem. He likes the flavor and would probably eat the whole bottle given the chance.

Mai Li, on the other hand, doesn't like to have her ears fiddled with when they are healthy. Attempt to touch her ears and put something IN them, especially something that might sting a bit, like the cleaner I am trying to use, and you can't even imagine the faces she makes and the noises. :mad: The most challenging part of the process is not losing a finger!!! I don't think she would actually bite me, but she definitely knows how to send a "message." And it is very clearly "Leave me ALONE, or else!!":angry:

Thanks to our prevaricating weatherman, I didn't get any walking in on my own today. They said the rain was head our way from the coast, so I decided not to go and get caught in it. The whole afternoon and evening passed without a drop!!:grumble:

I did stay within my calories for the day, and still ate well.:smile:

I am apparently finished with this posting due to the immovable object in my lap, named Pepper:laugh: I also have a very persistent Mai Li who is making it barkingly clear that she will not go to bed without some additional food.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Barb
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies-
    Sorry I have been silent for so long. I just can't seem to keep it together. I think I waste too much time and then I rush around trying to get to everything. End result -mfp and counting calories goes by the wayside. (Apparently, so has housecleaning, laundry, bills, etc etc) While I haven't been on here, I have been thinking about you all,especially on Mother's Day.:flowerforyou:
    Life has been good, just busy. My big treat was being with all my kids for my oldest son's 25th birthday dinner and surprise party and seeing them all again for Mother's Day. I am so grateful.
    I better get off now and tackle one of my disaster areas - probably kitchen, den and laundry before my exercise class and then food shopping. I need to get some weight on my youngest son who is now home from college. Can you tell I'm a happy mom?
    Every age is different, but with two of the three boys out of college, working and living on their own, I have to say I am enjoying being their friend and not the strict disciplinarian anymore. Even my youngest doesn't need me to be the authority figure. He's 20 years old, an excellent student and a good kid.
    So, enough procrastinating. Time to get to work around here.
    Hope you are all doing well and enjoying a beautiful Spring day.
    Zaza