Biting my tongue at seeing overweight children

Options

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Seriously...if Im in Target..and my 6 yr old who is 43lbs wants a donut and it keeps him from screaming for the hour Im in the store...by God..hes getting a stinking donut! lol

LOL!!! I have a 2 year old so I totally get that!

Some parents remove their children from such situations immediately rather than allowing them to learn that temper tantrums in public will get them what they want.

some children blah blah blah.. yeah you try taking a 2 year old to the post office while you wait in line to mail a package and they continue to run for the door and want to play... they scream and holler and throw fits do you lose your place in line to leave and mail the package later or do you take the sucker that the post office employee offers to calm him down?? hmmm, I take the sucker and it usually it works so the hell with you saying you can immediately leave when it comes to temper tantrums and let's see how it works out for you

\My 3 year is better educated then that.
    He dont throw tantrums in public places and he listens to me when I explain to him that he needs to settle down and he can have something healthier when we get home.
    Its all in how we raise and educate our children in how its appropriate to behave.
    If you wanna let your children walk all over you, thats your problem.

You obviously do not have a child with ADHD. Children are different. My two children are polar oposites of eachother. My dauther is calm, cool, collected. At 18 months old I knew I could take her to a funeral and her not tip the casket over. My son... well lets just say he's the demon child from hell who would not only have tipped the casket over but jumped into it and pretended it was a truck. You pick your battles, dude.

You always have an excuse.
    In everything you post. Lol.

Actually, I have ADHD and I never acted like that.

Like I said.... EXCUSES... Lol.
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is hilarious! I needed this today.

(Side note: I think chubby kids are soo cute...it is the cheeks, maybe? I love those cherub babies...)

Seriously though, we all make judgements OP, so don't be hard on yourself. It is good that you care about the world you live in, and the health of other people - compassion, right?

Personally, I feel disgusted by many people for many different reasons, but I am so far from perfect myself, ya know?

Believe it or not, I would not mind if someone was genuinely concerned about either of my son's well-being and expressed that to me (for whatever reason, if they were polite about it) because at the end of the day, hubby and I are the ones working our butts off to keep the clothed, fed, housed and happy.

I doubt that, aside from commenting, anyone else would volunteer to step in and care for my kids if God Forbid something happened to us.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

You know what my mom did if I dared throw a tantrum over something like donuts? Spank the crap outta me. Take a wild guess how many tantrums I threw :laugh: Caribbean parents don't play that game at ALL. especially the Jamaicans :bigsmile:

Yeah, that'll get CPS repelling down from helicopters on ya here. My husband had the audacity to take my son out of the store when he was throwing a tantrum and we had the sheriff called on us.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, i feel the same when i got to a restaurant and there's a lot of obese people there, that makes me feel i don't even want to eat.... ever. I'm not judging them, I'm just saying what i feel

Whoops! Sorry those fat folks managed to free themselves from their confines and ruin your time at the restaurant. I'm sure if you told them their obese presence in a public place made you uncomfortable they would shuffle back to the unoffensive safety of their homes, where they belong!
  • abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    :noway: How DARE overweight people go out in public! I'm so sorry you had to look at that :sad:

^^^ Love :) That is great!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Seriously...if Im in Target..and my 6 yr old who is 43lbs wants a donut and it keeps him from screaming for the hour Im in the store...by God..hes getting a stinking donut! lol

I am the exact opposite... either of my boys start going nuts for something NO CHANCE they get it. No matter what it is!
    Well said! That's why they have fits in the first place--it works! I never gave in either, and my (now 14 and 17 year old) kids NEVER pitched a fit in public.
  • taramaureen
    Options

Again, not every child acts the same. As a mom you should know that.
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it is truly up to the parenting. I am a mom and my son happens to love greek yogurt, tofu, fish, salad, tomatoes, cucumbers and etc more than Junk food..... its a losing battle to say anything, however I completely understand your thoughts..... these other people who are ripping you a new one are on crack.... lol.... if you teach your child good habits and allow them to have Junk food in proportion its ok...... but piling on food is seriously not ok..... i understand too if your child needs a high fat diet etc.... thats a total different situation because i am sure those parents would still keep in mind that a high fat and salt diet does not mean they need 6 servings of mac and cheese at one sitting.....just saying
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I didn't read the rest of the posts, just the OP, but I have to add my personal story and opinion...

My son, who is 9 years old, is overweight. He has been for a couple of years, and the fact is that, although he does occasionally have junk food, it is pretty rare since it isn't something we have in our home and I don't give him fast food (pretty much ever) or even eat out at a restaurant more than a handful of times a year (and even then, I usually don't let him get fries). He likes when he gets to cheat with junk food, but he also loves veggies (especially broccoli and pretty much any green salad), fruits, and other healthy foods.
    The only beverages he has access to on a daily basis are water and milk (and, when my husband can sneak it in, some 100% fruit juice, although I try to limit that as much as possible because it's better just to eat a piece of fruit). Although my son would love to sit in front of a screen for hours if allowed, I am pretty good about making sure he does active things frequently.

On the other hand, our neighbors have two extremely skinny kids around the same age as my son. They eat entire (large size) bags of chips in one sitting and basically live off of canned and/or frozen meals, very few of which include veggies (even canned veggies). They drink soda daily (Mt Dew is a favorite) and spend a good chunk of their free time in front of a screen while their parents smoke in the house.

So, who is healthier? The overweight kid who eats primarily nutritious, well-balanced meals and gets moderate exercise, or the skinny kids who eat nothing but junk food and live in front of the TV?

The fact is, my child is getting the nutrients his mind and growing body need and their children aren't, yet if you saw them in a group and didn't know this about them, you would probably assume that I am a terrible parent for causing my son to be overweight and wouldn't think twice about how the skinny kids' parents are raising them.

As parents, we have a responsibility to nourish our children's bodies - to provide them with quality nutrition, healthy activities, and a home that teaches good health habits (including portion control).

A parent ordering deep fried junk for their skinny child is every bit as bad as a parent ordering deep fried junk for their chubby child - regardless of the size of the child, you aren't taking care of them when you fill their bodies with junk and, when a child is already overweight, you are just exasperating the problem (but even if they're skinny, you aren't giving their bodies what they need to grow and develop in a healthy manner).
    great point!
  • DietingMommy08
    Options

LOL!!! I have a 2 year old so I totally get that!

Some parents remove their children from such situations immediately rather than allowing them to learn that temper tantrums in public will get them what they want.

some children blah blah blah.. yeah you try taking a 2 year old to the post office while you wait in line to mail a package and they continue to run for the door and want to play... they scream and holler and throw fits do you lose your place in line to leave and mail the package later or do you take the sucker that the post office employee offers to calm him down?? hmmm, I take the sucker and it usually it works so the hell with you saying you can immediately leave when it comes to temper tantrums and let's see how it works out for you

\My 3 year is better educated then that.
    He dont throw tantrums in public places and he listens to me when I explain to him that he needs to settle down and he can have something healthier when we get home.
    Its all in how we raise and educate our children in how its appropriate to behave.
    If you wanna let your children walk all over you, thats your problem.

You obviously do not have a child with ADHD. Children are different. My two children are polar oposites of eachother. My dauther is calm, cool, collected. At 18 months old I knew I could take her to a funeral and her not tip the casket over. My son... well lets just say he's the demon child from hell who would not only have tipped the casket over but jumped into it and pretended it was a truck. You pick your battles, dude.

You always have an excuse.
    In everything you post. Lol.

Excuse for what exactly? Did I say I gave my child food to motivate them? NO, I said that you *obviously* haven't dealt with a special needs child, every child is different. I don't think there's anything to argue about here HA!

Excuse as to why you keep claming it okay to give your child some sort of junk food to keep them from screaming.
    How do you know if my son is special needs or not?! Im pretty sure I never said whether he was or not. So quick to assume towards nothing you have no knowledge of.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I wish I had popcorn
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    Some kids you see are big because they are growing. My little girl is a head and shoulders above everyone in her class! She looks littl chubby, and despite being only 5 is in age 8 clothes. We let her have the odd McDonalds, and she has chocolate and junk food. But she's not fat!

I work at McD's. And I see parents giving their kids so much junk - it's infuriating. I hate serving sometimes. This week I saw a parent order his son (aged about 9) a LARGE big mac meal!!! And he had a chocolate shake too!! Andd then came back for dessert as well. It makes me sick. They sell kids meals for a reason you know!! My little girl always has a plain cheeseburger or 4 nuggets and carrot sticks or a fruit bag. With milk or fruit shoot. Thats still not great but she feels like she's had a treat nd she got her toy. So its ok once in a while.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options

You know what my mom did if I dared throw a tantrum over something like donuts? Spank the crap outta me. Take a wild guess how many tantrums I threw :laugh: Caribbean parents don't play that game at ALL. especially the Jamaicans :bigsmile:

Yeah, that'll get CPS repelling down from helicopters on ya here. My husband had the audacity to take my son out of the store when he was throwing a tantrum and we had the sheriff called on us.

Thats just crazy! another example of people seeing a small peice of a whole picture and making harsh judgments!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I am the exact opposite... either of my boys start going nuts for something NO CHANCE they get it. No matter what it is!

I love you for this. I feel like the problem with parents these days is that they just give in for their own convenience. Kids never learn when all you do is reward them for bad behavior. But, to each is own I guess.

Have you ever taken a 2 year old to the grocery store???? Let alone two 2 year olds when it's close to their nap time and you are running on 5 hours of sleep and have to finish grocery shopping, run to the bank, make your kids lunch and have about 3 loads of laundry to fold and you don't know what to make for dinner?

^^word^^
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I wish I had popcorn

seriously. i grabbed peanut butter crackers a few minutes ago!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Some kids you see are big because they are growing. My little girl is a head and shoulders above everyone in her class! She looks littl chubby, and despite being only 5 is in age 8 clothes. We let her have the odd McDonalds, and she has chocolate and junk food. But she's not fat!

I work at McD's. And I see parents giving their kids so much junk - it's infuriating. I hate serving sometimes. This week I saw a parent order his son (aged about 9) a LARGE big mac meal!!! And he had a chocolate shake too!! Andd then came back for dessert as well. It makes me sick. They sell kids meals for a reason you know!! My little girl always has a plain cheeseburger or 4 nuggets and carrot sticks or a fruit bag. With milk or fruit shoot. Thats still not great but she feels like she's had a treat nd she got her toy. So its ok once in a while.

you cant judge based on that too. That kid might not have had lunch money at school and didnt eat at all until his dinner. I just hate judgemental people..period.

We dont know what goes on inside those kids 4 walls. Thats all Im saying. Harsh comments...get harsh comments back.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options

Again, not every child acts the same. As a mom you should know that.

& as a mother you should know that giving yoru child anything they want to shut them up isnt going to teach them any good morals for when they get older. You have to instill discipline and understanding.
    If you cant control your children then maybe you just aint cut out to be a parent.
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Absolutely none. Also, if seeing other people eat makes you want to toss up your cookies, you may want to enlist the help of a counselor. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
    [/quote]

Agreed!!!
  • taramaureen
    Options

Excuse as to why you keep claming it okay to give your child some sort of junk food to keep them from screaming.
    How do you know if my son is special needs or not?! Im pretty sure I never said whether he was or not. So quick to assume towards nothing you have no knowledge of.

I just feel there are some battles you need to pick. As a parent, a mom, you really should already know this. If someone gives their kid a donut in the store while they're grocery shopping to keep them occupied and it works for them, if the kids generally have a good diet... who the hell am I or you to judge them?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes. I believe you are right to judge. You didn't say anything to anyone so you didn't offend anyone that would cause a scene. People who allow their kids to eat like **** and be fat deserve to be harshly judged. Parents are making their kids fat!
    True. Everyone has the right to judge, and even express themselves. What do you imagine would be gained by criticizing the kids' mother?
    Might as well give your 8 year old a loaded gun to play with while they devour their mcnuggets, frosty, fries and brownies.
    Really? A loaded gun? Did you never eat any of those things as a kid?

Hard to chew.
This discussion has been closed.