breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, I think the poster who posted about "child abuse" meant that it is bordering on abusive to not feed a hungry infant just because you do not happen to be in a place that will not draw attention. I do not think they meant to get into a bottle vs. breast discussion....
    Her exact words were, "formula is child abuse."
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've seen several comments about how it's the law that women be allowed to breastfeed. I am not referring to the Target incident (I haven't looked at the story, but if she was sitting in an aisle to breastfeed to me that is a safety issue more than anything else and she should have moved for that reason alone). But, just because something is the law doesn't mean that something stops being a debated topic. And just because something is in the law doesn't mean it's forever protected, particularly when it's a hotly debated topic. So, there are times when protesting to make a point is appropriate to continue to keep attention on a currently protected activity that could be chipped away at if people aren't paying attention (again, not referring to this particular Target incident, but just in general pointing out that saying "it's the law" doesn't mean we should sit back and get comfortable when that something has a real possibility of becoming less protected).
  • Demwitted
    Options
    Also, I think the poster who posted about "child abuse" meant that it is bordering on abusive to not feed a hungry infant just because you do not happen to be in a place that will not draw attention. I do not think they meant to get into a bottle vs. breast discussion....

Ah, misread that one. I swear there was another one that made me think of my response. My bad!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am pro breast feeding, any woman who wants to do it should be made comfortable anywhere she may be, she shouldn't feel the need to cover herself with blankets or go sit in a bog, this is nature. Prudes & the easily offended can find another issue to get upset over as far as I am concerened. It doesn't hurt them in any way shape or form.

BUT I am very anti the breastfeeding nazis that are posting on this thread. You choose to bf, others choose not to. BF doesn't make you a better parent or a superior being so get over yourselves & try engaging your brains before making your ridiculous comments relating to bottle feeding & formula.

The hypocracy is choking me.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm glad you're psychic and know what's in the bottle they're feeding. I know mothers who bottle feed breast milk - some can't nurse and go through painful hours of pumping. How nice you know exactly what everyone else is doing.
    [/quote]

Seriously, though, that is a minute percentage. Not to mention it is double the work. 9 out of 10 of the bottles that you see being fed to babies have formula in them. I am just trying to make a point that formula is made too readily available too moms and breastfeeding is often discouraged.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    So it doesn't help to Have nipple nazis like this trying to make them feel worse.

"Nipple Nazis!!"

LOVE IT!

What is wrong with you people? Quit pushing your own expectations on other people. Breastfeeding is completely up to the woman. And you have NO idea why she chose not to BF. Get over yourselves.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, don't you know that for many in the U.S. the facts of life are too dirty to be discussed? It's better to live in ignorance until you actually become pregnant and then are fearful of birthing and disgusted by breastfeeding because you have been taught nothing of these things except that they are too unseemly to be discussed.

Yep. Sex and body parts are dirty and wrong and they should be hidden from view and women made to feel shameful. That's what people with "class" do. Because that's what's appropriate in society. Sex and body parts are only to be used to sell advertising and magazines and cars. Not to feed newborns. How on Earth are we going to be able to continue oppressing women if we don't tell them their body parts are bad and shameful?!

Sarcasm is fun!
  • rml_16
    Options

Ah, misread that one. I swear there was another one that made me think of my response. My bad!

lol

I was trying to figure out how you got so much out of those few words. :-)
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding is natural and good for babies

it's ok to do it in public just cover up

someone mentioned to feed the baby in a bathroom,.... umm when was the last time you ate in a public stinky balthroom? why would you make your baby?

those who oppose are really ridiculous, babies were born to be breastfed and not everyone can afford a ton of canned milk or bottles...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    And formula is child abuse.
    Really? How would you support this nonseniscal statement?
    Nonsensical is exactly the right word. Some women simply can't do it any other way, for one reason or another. And many feel horrible about that. So it doesn't help to Have nipple nazis like this trying to make them feel worse.

Looking forward to her reply.

I agree this is a statement that turns people off. There are plenty of women who cannot breastfeed for medical reasons and should never be made to feel badly about that. However, I'm hoping this poster is referring to women who choose to feed formula without even trying breastfeeding (and no, I am not agreeing it's child abuse). Many women are not taught about breastfeeding in a way that prepares them for the realities (much like childbirth), so they think that their baby is just going to latch on and nurse and that's that. Sometimes it takes more work, and sometimes there may be cracked nipples if the baby isn't latching properly, but there are ways to help the baby learn, but some women think breastfeeding will always be like that and don't want to work through it. I really don't believe that women should go straight for the formula without really trying breastfeeding first, especially when breastfeeding has so many known benefits for the baby. Plus, why pay so much money to companies for formula for something that most women's bodies make without issue?
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.
    I'd prefer they take advantage of a private spot.

Just 'cause its natural doesn't mean you have to share it with the world.
    Other natural things I prefer not to experience others doing in public:
    urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    clipping toe nails or finger nails
    clearing a nasal obstruction with a finger
    flossing or using a toothpick
    etc

Ew. So do you have issues eating your lunch on the toilet? I do. Some things are better done in a sanitary setting. I feed my child in public, and have no issues doing so. Usually I'm prepared and have a cover, but if I'm not, I STILL feed my baby. I will try to be discreet and not flash myself, but frankly, I'm more concerned about getting my child fed than if everyone else is staring at me.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding, and I have breastfed in public a million times. I have done it sitting in the park, pushing a cart in target, shopping at home depot, at work and a million other places. I honestly don't care if my breasts are exposed, but I always cover up so I don't make anyone uncomfortable. People are too touchy about what is a normal, natural thing. I get more uncomfortable watching a baby drink formula, to be completely honest. I can't say that I would ever do a nurse- in because I don't feel like they will change the public views of breastfeeding, but I would never park my butt in a dressing room just because people get uncomfortable with me using my breasts for what nature intended.
    Would you really, though? I guess here's what I mean-- your baby cries, you'd immediately sit down whereever you happened to be, and feed him... ? You happen to be in the aisle at Target, you happen to be crossing the street, wherever, sit THERE, NOW, and feed. No one does that. I wouldn't go to the changing room to HIDE, I'd go to the changing room to NOT HAVE TO SIT ON THE FLOOR. KWIM? LOL I guess that's something I don't get. I'd sit on the benches right by the check-out lanes at Target, visible to the world, & BF (in fact, I have! LOL And never gotten a dirty look, honestly I think because I just did what I had to do, discreetly, & no one ever cared), but if I was in the womens' clothes section, and needed to nurse INSTANTLY, I'd walk to the nearest seats, which would be the fitting rooms. It seems insane to just sit on the floor wherever I happen to be-- I've nursed for the last 7 years without a break, and I've never once just sat wherever I was and immediately nursed.

eta: I forgot to ask! Can you clarify why it'd make you uncomfortable to watch a baby drink formula? I've never heard that sentiment, so I'm wondering.

I didn't sit, I can walk and nurse. I guess I am just super- skilled. I get uncomfortable watching babies drink formula because many mothers aren't given proper breastfeeding education, teaching or support, so they turn to the easiest thing that is pushed on them by doctors, family and hospitals. Yes, there are instances when women can't nurse, but most can and don't even though breast milk has been perfectly designed by nature to be the perfect food for babies, and formulas don't even come close to holding the nutritional value.
    I've done the same, with the help of a Moby-wrap, and never gotten so much as an eyelash-bat... So I'm pretty skilled as well. :) But again, that gal I mentioned earlier, the Peta of BFing, always got dirty looks doing it, in the same area, IMO because it was about the political statement for her, so she had to make sure everyone noticed.

I guess I think it's so full of assumptions and know-it-all-isms to assume that anyone making a different choice than I did, made that different choice because they are uneducated or weak. It gets so condescending. So what if my neighbor knew she'd have to go back to work, and didn't want to pump? Why isn't that choice valid enough for some people? So what if another mom decided she didn't like the sore nipples, and went to formula? I did Lansinoh-&-live through the sore nipples, but I also let my daughter have a few M&Ms this morning, so I GET that I'm not holier-than-anyone.

I guess if you have never so much as let a canned good pass your child's lips, and have done every other parenting thing perfectly, then you can spend your time worrying about the people who've made different decisions than you have.

Though, my hospital pushed nursing, without question. They even refused to give me a formula sample, as a BFing mom. LOL I was like-- you can't be serious. So condescending.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options

I don't know about you, but I never had to teach my baby to latch on. They already have that instinct.

I attempted to nurse all three of my kids. My oldest was a preemie and wouldn't latch on no matter what I did. The other two each had their own issues but both nursed for a really long time. I know plenty of women that tried everything they could to nurse and it just didn't work out for them. If nursing was so simple for everyone, more people might do it.
  • Improvised
    Options
    Also, I think we have things a little backwards. It's okay for woman to walk around the beach with next to nothing, but a crying sin to show a wee bit of skin when feeding a baby?
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Nonsensical is exactly the right word. Some women simply can't do it any other way, for one reason or another. And many feel horrible about that. So it doesn't help to Have nipple nazis like this trying to make them feel worse.

I agree this is a statement that turns people off. There are plenty of women who cannot breastfeed for medical reasons and should never be made to feel badly about that. However, I'm hoping this poster is referring to women who choose to feed formula without even trying breastfeeding. Many women are not taught about breastfeeding in a way that prepares them for the realities (much like childbirth), so they think that their baby is just going to latch on and nurse and that's that. Sometimes it takes more work, and sometimes there may be cracked nipples if the baby isn't latching properly, but there are ways to help the baby learn, but some women think breastfeeding will always be like that and don't want to work through it. I really don't believe that women should go straight for the formula without really trying breastfeeding first, especially when breastfeeding has so many known benefits for the baby. Plus, why pay so much money to companies for formula for something that most women's bodies make without issue?

Why do you care why I chose to feed my babies formula? They are mine and it was my choice. I chose to formula feed, as is my right. I don't have an issue with what you feed your babies, why care about mine? It is not abuse and it is not any less my choice, or more abuse, because I didn't try to breast feed first.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I agree this is a statement that turns people off. There are plenty of women who cannot breastfeed for medical reasons and should never be made to feel badly about that. However, I'm hoping this poster is referring to women who choose to feed formula without even trying breastfeeding.
    It doesn't matter WHY a woman chooses to use formula. Feeding your child formula is NOT child abuse. Apparently the OP (who has not returned to defend her statement) doesn't know the first thing about child abuse.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

I think the ones who choose to breastfeed publicly are crying for attention, and they are sure to get it.
    Like most men, I enjoy the opportunity to see a breast every now and then, but this just doesn't seem like the right way to do it.

urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    etc

Ew. So do you have issues eating your lunch on the toilet? I do. Some things are better done in a sanitary setting. I feed my child in public, and have no issues doing so. Usually I'm prepared and have a cover, but if I'm not, I STILL feed my baby. I will try to be discreet and not flash myself, but frankly, I'm more concerned about getting my child fed than if everyone else is staring at me.
    Is floor in the middle of Target considered so sanitary? So much more so sanitary than the changing room, that you'd rather sit on the floor there to nurse, than in a chair in changing area?

I'm with you guys on the bathroom. I never fed my kids there. But I'd take a seat in any room (other than the restroom LOL) over the floor any day. Unless, I guess, I was more interested in making a political statement anyway.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is a legally protected right in every state of the union. No woman can be legally asked to leave just because she's breastfeeding.

Employers, however, need some serious education. I am very proud of my little sister who has chosen to breastfeed her son. But when she went back to work and needed to pump several times a day, her employer insisted on docking her pay. Yup, you read that right.
    They won't let her pull out the pump and do it discreetly at her workstation (for the record, she works at a customer service call center, talking on the phone all day, so it's not as though any customers would see her doing it). They have told her she must find a private conference room or go into the bathroom, and do it on her own time, not while working. So she has to wait until her scheduled break or lunch times. Her 30 minutes for lunch works fine. But it takes at least 20 minutes to pump, so when she uses her break times for pumping, she always goes over her scheduled 15 minutes of break time and is docked pay for being late back to her shift. They count time in 15-minute intervals, so basically she's working an 8-hr day and only getting paid for 7.5 hrs, just because she's committed to giving her baby the best nutrition and her employers are a bunch of prudes. When she spoke to HR, she was informed that she should just be grateful she's not receiving disciplinary action for taking such long breaks. She won't rock the boat, because her husband has been unemployed for the past three years and this crappy job is all that keeps them afloat, she's terrified of losing her job. But being punished for being a nursing mother is just wrong.
  • rml_16
    Options

I agree this is a statement that turns people off. There are plenty of women who cannot breastfeed for medical reasons and should never be made to feel badly about that. However, I'm hoping this poster is referring to women who choose to feed formula without even trying breastfeeding. Many women are not taught about breastfeeding in a way that prepares them for the realities (much like childbirth), so they think that their baby is just going to latch on and nurse and that's that. Sometimes it takes more work, and sometimes there may be cracked nipples if the baby isn't latching properly, but there are ways to help the baby learn, but some women think breastfeeding will always be like that and don't want to work through it. I really don't believe that women should go straight for the formula without really trying breastfeeding first, especially when breastfeeding has so many known benefits for the baby. Plus, why pay so much money to companies for formula for something that most women's bodies make without issue?

No matter your reasons, it is NOT child abuse to feed formula. It's child abuse to not feed your child anything. It's child abuse to break your child's arm or not change is or her diaper in a timely manner or any number of other things. Formula is NOT child abuse unless your put poison in it.
  • Improvised
    Options
    "its perfectly natural"
    "its beautiful"
    "its best for the baby"
    blah blah blah

urinating
    passing gas
    defacating
    spitting
    vomiting
    coitus
    sodomy
    etc

Is floor in the middle of Target considered so sanitary? So much more so sanitary than the changing room, that you'd rather sit on the floor there to nurse, than in a chair in changing area?

I'm with you guys on the bathroom. I never fed my kids there. But I'd take a seat in any room (other than the restroom LOL) over the floor any day. Unless, I guess, I was more interested in making a political statement anyway.

I'm not saying the whole Target thing was a good idea. In fact, I think it was dumb, and the ladies should get over themselves. I think the whole breastfeeding debate is over the top. Feed the baby and get on with your life. :) It shouldn't be any more normal or abnormal than stick a bottle in the mouth of a babe.