breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not a problem, but it is polite to be discrete. Not everyone is comfortable with it. Easy to kind of cover up. My third was breast fed everywhere. Just dress appropriately :wink:
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not a problem, but it is polite to be discrete. Not everyone is comfortable with it. Easy to kind of cover up. My third was breast fed everywhere. Just dress appropriately :wink:

As for formula being child abuse? Breast is best byt.....You have to do whats best for the family and for you. I was too sick to breast feed my first, but did for my other two. What ever works and as long as the baby is healthy. It should not be so stressful.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You know, if everyone quit paying attention to this crap, it would go away.

A mother breastfeeds her kid, and we're shocked at the sight of a boob. Remember people- we live in a society founded by people who fled England because they wished for the freedom to practice a stricter , more repressive version of the Christianity that was practiced in England. Which leads us to this: boobies are sinful. We've had this crammed down out throats from birth, in one way or another, by everyone from Madonna to the woman who sells bras at Sears. THIS IS NOTHING NEW. Which is why this woman staging a breast-feeding "protest" is a complete moron.

Women who whip out their breasts in public to feed their babies know exactly the kind of reaction they are going to get. Their are a couple options here: be cognizent of your surroundings and discreetly cover up the boob- no one is banishing you to a bathroom or making you sit in your car, they are just asking to not see a full breast- or you can stage a protest and make yourself look like an idiot. So either fall in line and act like a normal, semi-functioning adult member of society or make a stance and be prepared to deal with the reaction.

People and their causes...I swear...
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You know, if everyone quit paying attention to this crap, it would go away.

A mother breastfeeds her kid, and we're shocked at the sight of a boob. Remember people- we live in a society founded by people who fled England because they wished for the freedom to practice a stricter , more repressive version of the Christianity that was practiced in England. Which leads us to this: boobies are sinful. We've had this crammed down out throats from birth, in one way or another, by everyone from Madonna to the woman who sells bras at Sears. THIS IS NOTHING NEW. Which is why this woman staging a breast-feeding "protest" is a complete moron.

Women who whip out their breasts in public to feed their babies know exactly the kind of reaction they are going to get. Their are a couple options here: be cognizent of your surroundings and discreetly cover up the boob- no one is banishing you to a bathroom or making you sit in your car, they are just asking to not see a full breast- or you can stage a protest and make yourself look like an idiot. So either fall in line and act like a normal, semi-functioning adult member of society or make a stance and be prepared to deal with the reaction.

People and their causes...I swear...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Why do you care why I chose to feed my babies formula? They are mine and it was my choice. I chose to formula feed, as is my right. I don't have an issue with what you feed your babies, why care about mine? It is not abuse and it is not any less my choice, or more abuse, because I didn't try to breast feed first.

Hey, I didn't say it was abuse, the other poster did (I just said I hoped what she meant was a little less offensive than her bold child abuse statement, did not mean to make it seem as though I was agreeing with her), I said that it was my opinion that women should try breastfeeding first.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    100% with you, then, Improvised. I think that is the easy answer to the whole issue, honestly.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    100% with you, then, Improvised. I think that is the easy answer to the whole issue, honestly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I don't know about you, but I never had to teach my baby to latch on. They already have that instinct.

I attempted to nurse all three of my kids. My oldest was a preemie and wouldn't latch on no matter what I did. The other two each had their own issues but both nursed for a really long time. I know plenty of women that tried everything they could to nurse and it just didn't work out for them. If nursing was so simple for everyone, more people might do it.

You took my statement entirely out of context and left out the post I was directly responding to. Good job!
  • Demwitted
    Options
    I absolutely hate and am sick to death of moms picking on moms.

Some breastfeed. Some don't. Some can't. Some do it in public. Some do it only in private.
    Some work. Some don't. Some can't.
    Some have natural labor. Some use pain killers. Some have emergency C-sections. Some have elective C-sections.

These are just some of the things that some women like to judge other women about. Isn't momming a hard enough job without all the extra unwanted opinions and judgements? Let's leave breastfeeding moms and bottlefeeding moms alone. They are doing their best. Breastfeeding has been defended thoroughly here, but bottlefeeding is easily defensible too.

Bottlefeeding is fine. It might not be a nutritionally perfect as breastmilk from a mom who eats a perfect diet, but it is not harmful. Many babies would starve without it. Maybe mom works a lot and cannot pump enough to feed baby. Maybe mom has a unknown bacteria that mom and baby keep passing back and forth until both are very sick (what happened to me and my mom). Maybe mom can't produce milk at all. Maybe baby has trouble latching. All sorts of things can go wrong. All sorts of decisions must be made. I have never seen a bottle-fed baby who was damaged by it.

Moms need to stop hating on moms.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why do you care why I chose to feed my babies formula? They are mine and it was my choice. I chose to formula feed, as is my right. I don't have an issue with what you feed your babies, why care about mine? It is not abuse and it is not any less my choice, or more abuse, because I didn't try to breast feed first.

Hey, I didn't say it was abuse, the other poster did (I just said I hoped what she meant was a little less offensive than her bold child abuse statement, not agreeing with her), I said that it was my opinion that women should try breastfeeding first.

Women should do what they're comfortable with.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options

I don't know about you, but I never had to teach my baby to latch on. They already have that instinct.

I attempted to nurse all three of my kids. My oldest was a preemie and wouldn't latch on no matter what I did. The other two each had their own issues but both nursed for a really long time. I know plenty of women that tried everything they could to nurse and it just didn't work out for them. If nursing was so simple for everyone, more people might do it.

Even if you have trouble breastfeeding, the instinct is still there. Have you heard of the rooting reflex? They do that because they are looking for a breast nipple.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Hey, I didn't say it was abuse, the other poster did (I just said I hoped what she meant was a little less offensive than her bold child abuse statement, not agreeing with her), I said that it was my opinion that women should try breastfeeding first.

Women should do what they're comfortable with.

I agree. But I stand by my opinion as well. With so many known benefits to baby, not to mention financial savings, I think women should first try to breastfeed. Seems illogical not to (and I think it's sad that there are women out there who are turned off/not comfortable with using their breasts for what they are intended - not referring to anyone in this thread, just in general). But in the end, it is each woman's choice and either way a woman should be able to feed her baby in public without ridicule.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Also, I think we have things a little backwards. It's okay for woman to walk around the beach with next to nothing, but a crying sin to show a wee bit of skin when feeding a baby?
    Well, I certainly wouldn't appreciate seeing a woman walking around Target in a "next to nothing bathing suit" either. Can't say that I appreciate my children seeing thongs on the beach, either, for that matter. Do what is natural to you, but you don't have to draw attention to yourself for an agenda (as many women in this new campaign for breastfeeding are doing).
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    11097852.jpg
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    11097852.jpg

BAHAHAHAHAHA <3
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have to say, while your sister's employer isn't being particularly nice, they are accomodating her more than many companies do. Even the states that have laws to protect pumping/breastfeeding in the workplace usually only address "reasonable accomodations and time"...nothing about compensation. It sounds like they have a place other than a bathroom for her to use and are allowing her to take the time. Would it be nice to pay her? Absolutely. But I completely understand it from a business point of view and managing expectations in the workplace. She is paid for the time she is working. While there are a number of devices and gadgets for hands-free pumping...it is still distracting. I participated on many a conference call when pumping...but I couldn't possibly have run a meeting!

I understand not rocking the boat, but I would challenge them on the actual timekeeping. Are you saying that she is docked for (2) 15 minutes breaks when she is only using 20 minutes? I would take that up with the labor/workforce organization...if nothing else than to clarify the legality.

Even though I live in the US, I am very fortunate to work for a Swedish company where the head of HR breastfed her children. We have a nice little lactation room to use. However, during the year that I pumped during work hours, I noted a number of instances where mothers on hourly compensation took advantage of the fact that their pay wasn't being docked for the additional time that they needed to pump their milk. I'm not saying that I never took a few extra minutes, but I also was on salary and travelled so I regularly exceeded 40 hours a week without additional compensation. It also isn't to say that I never had to defend the time it took or be flexible about it.
    Breastfeeding is a legally protected right in every state of the union. No woman can be legally asked to leave just because she's breastfeeding.

Employers, however, need some serious education. I am very proud of my little sister who has chosen to breastfeed her son. But when she went back to work and needed to pump several times a day, her employer insisted on docking her pay. Yup, you read that right.
    They won't let her pull out the pump and do it discreetly at her workstation (for the record, she works at a customer service call center, talking on the phone all day, so it's not as though any customers would see her doing it). They have told her she must find a private conference room or go into the bathroom, and do it on her own time, not while working. So she has to wait until her scheduled break or lunch times. Her 30 minutes for lunch works fine. But it takes at least 20 minutes to pump, so when she uses her break times for pumping, she always goes over her scheduled 15 minutes of break time and is docked pay for being late back to her shift. They count time in 15-minute intervals, so basically she's working an 8-hr day and only getting paid for 7.5 hrs, just because she's committed to giving her baby the best nutrition and her employers are a bunch of prudes. When she spoke to HR, she was informed that she should just be grateful she's not receiving disciplinary action for taking such long breaks. She won't rock the boat, because her husband has been unemployed for the past three years and this crappy job is all that keeps them afloat, she's terrified of losing her job. But being punished for being a nursing mother is just wrong.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Making some low fat air-popped popcorn. I'll sit back and watch the anvils fly past.

it is definitely one of those topics!

the reason i posted this is because i'm against it in public. i understand it's natural and it's the best for your baby. i am a nursing student so i've been taught that over and over. i don't think it should be done in public however. it's not because it's sexual at all, it's just because it should be a private thing between you and your baby. i don't care to see you take your breast out in public and have your baby latch onto it. if i'm in your hospital room or your house, i have no problem with it. but i dislike seeing it in public. i also know i will not breastfeed my future children so that might also have something to do with it as well.

My four kids all received breastmilk and three of them also got formula. We had total success with one of my kids and she only wanted breastmilk. Here is the thing. A baby receiving a bottle is not looked at funny. Babies eat frequently. A trip to the mall for instance might not be able to occur without at least one feeding. I am all for being discreet. I mean I didn't make a big deal about preparing a bottle nor did I make a big deal about breastfeeding the baby. I just did what I needed to do. I fed my daughter anywhere I went. I did look for the most discreet seat at a restuarant or the mall, I would go in another room sometimes at a party etc, I did ask my husband or another kid to sit in a certain spot while I was getting situated etc so that I wasn't obvious but a baby that has no interest in bottles..nor should they, shouldn't have to go hungry, especially when others are eating...ie the person sitting next to me noshing on pizza etc. I did get one nasty comment from someone at the mall once, who after a lot of looking, staring and investigating, asked if I was feeding a baby. It needed to be asked as it wasn't that obvious. This rude *kitten* then told me he was calling security and that I should be kicked out of the mall. I was in the food court while my other kids were eating. I quickly pointed out 6 women who were exposing way more breast than I was...as I was exposing 0 breast....and said that he can do what he wants as far as security was concerned but when security approached me I would ask that those 6 women also get removed...and then I saw 3 women also feeding their babies bottles and said those women needed to be asked to leave as well...he swore at me and walked away looking confused. Discretion is one thing...I am all for discretion...but a woman should never have to hide, go sit in another room or let her baby remain hungry out of fear of offending someone else...
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what. This won't end well. So long as people are faced with teh option of formula feeding, this will always be an issue. Until the only option is breast, people will expect moms to hide in restrooms. I don't cover babies head witha blanket but, i am discrete. And by am, I mean was. My kids are a bit too old for that. If people don't like it, screw em. People don't like lots of stuff. You have to be thick skinned to have kids. And to nurse them. And to bring them to restaurants to eat. And to hold true to whatever you believe in. Cloth is better, cloth is stupid, extended rear facing is safer, extended rear facing is dangerous, baby wear, don't baby wear. SHUT UP!!!
    If the kid didn't come out of your body, its none of you damn business.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    SHUT UP!!!
    If the kid didn't come out of your body, its none of you damn business.
    Actually, if it isn't done in public, it's none of anyone else's business. You do it in public, you make it everyone else's business.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is a legally protected right in every state of the union. No woman can be legally asked to leave just because she's breastfeeding.

Employers, however, need some serious education. I am very proud of my little sister who has chosen to breastfeed her son. But when she went back to work and needed to pump several times a day, her employer insisted on docking her pay. Yup, you read that right.
    They won't let her pull out the pump and do it discreetly at her workstation (for the record, she works at a customer service call center, talking on the phone all day, so it's not as though any customers would see her doing it). They have told her she must find a private conference room or go into the bathroom, and do it on her own time, not while working. So she has to wait until her scheduled break or lunch times. Her 30 minutes for lunch works fine. But it takes at least 20 minutes to pump, so when she uses her break times for pumping, she always goes over her scheduled 15 minutes of break time and is docked pay for being late back to her shift. They count time in 15-minute intervals, so basically she's working an 8-hr day and only getting paid for 7.5 hrs, just because she's committed to giving her baby the best nutrition and her employers are a bunch of prudes. When she spoke to HR, she was informed that she should just be grateful she's not receiving disciplinary action for taking such long breaks. She won't rock the boat, because her husband has been unemployed for the past three years and this crappy job is all that keeps them afloat, she's terrified of losing her job. But being punished for being a nursing mother is just wrong.

Breast pumping isn't breast feeding. I work in an office and I have worked in call centers. Someone pumping at their desk is inappropriate and that is not working - in the sense of work the employer is paying them to do. I don't get paid for my lunch hour.
    I don't get paid for certain leaves like an annual Dr's appointment - and I couldn't care less. If people show up late to work regardless of the reason - depending on the employer - they are not paid, if they are it's a benefit. I am not saying I agree with the 15 minute interval thing... I am saying - it's up to the individual employer whether or not they are going to pay someone for working when in fact they are not working. Why should someone get paid for not being there? Sometimes we are - and these are called benefits, not entitlements. Benefits vary from company to company. I don't expect to get paid when I'm not doing my job unless it falls under my benefits.