Do you Drink?

Options
Alcohol that is. Do you drink or have you given it up for weight loss (or other reasons)? How often? Do you figure it into your calories, or is it a splurge? Did you trade in your normal cocktail for a slimmer version? What's your favorite? :drinker:

I like to have a drink a couple nights a week after work. I tend to drink shots of vodka with a chaser of a little bit of juice (weird, I know). This helps keep the calories in check because I'm not having full glasses of juice and/or mixers with each drink. I've logged the calories in when I've drank. So far, it hasn't been worth it to me to cut it out completely. Curious as to what others will say.

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm a social drinker. I fit in to my calorie intake, and I try to pick lower calorie versions of drinks. I try to stick with rum and diet coke, usually - because I can nurse it and it will have less calories than most other mixed drinks. I used to be a beer girl, but when counting calories, it's hard to keep them in check
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I used to drink, but because of our culture, religious beliefs and his fear of getting addicted to it (his father was a heavy drinker and abused his mother severely) we both gave it up 2 years ago. For me it's not a big deal at all (all I used to drink is Merlot, Smirnoff, or mikes) and I was never a big drinker. He likes scotch and coke and from time to time a long island ice tea. I hated it when he drank the ice tea he always neglected me when he drank it, so I am happier now that he doesn't drink any more.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I just have one or a few I log it, but if it's on a night out I don't usually keep track.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one drink a week and if I happen to be going out, I drink usually 6 drinks. So far it hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have been known to on special occasions (such as daytime,nighttime,weekends). :smile:
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Never! :glasses:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Like a G D Fish
  • crystal84rose
    crystal84rose Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone else asked this question because I had the same one. I like to have a few drinks on the weekend. All of my friends drink and that is what we do when we hang out so I don't really want to give it up completely but would like some ideas to be able to continue drinking but also lose weight. Beer, wine, mixed drinks no preference but would like to know what other people are doing.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    water yes, alcohol never...
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Not a drop.

4 years, 10 months, 26 days

but who's counting?

I'm on track to meet my goal weight at the 5 year mark.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I drink.. ugh. I log my drinks (most of the time - when I am still sober enough to log).
    And logging my drinks helps me to see the empty calories.. which can influence me to stop earlier than planned (some times haha). I have no plans to stop drinking, but I do want to limit my drinking as to not hinder my weight loss.

:drinker:

Bottoms Up.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Gave it up about 2 1/2 years ago...it really wasn't worth it. Feel great sober and clear headed always :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    No, I don't drink. Alcohol makes me feel sick (even a small amount of it) and I also have a lot of alcoholics in my family. I've never been a big drinker, but quit drinking altogether about 2 years ago. It was part of my "get healthy" lifestyle change (and getting healthier was a good reason to not feel pressured to socially drink)
  • scar47
    scar47 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I used to drink, but because of our culture, religious beliefs and his fear of getting addicted to it (his father was a heavy drinker and abused his mother severely) we both gave it up 2 years ago. For me it's not a big deal at all (all I used to drink is Merlot, Smirnoff, or mikes) and I was never a big drinker. He likes scotch and coke and from time to time a long island ice tea. I hated it when he drank the ice tea he always neglected me when he drank it, so I am happier now that he doesn't drink any more.
    No one should EVER ruin Scotch with coke. EVER!!! Scotch is a stand alone drink. And yes, I drink socially and count the calories.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yep, sure do. I've had to lower how much I drink as the number of calories I'm allowed goes down, but I'm still drinking. I keep telling myself I'm going to give it up. So far the rum is winning that conversation. :)

I always log my booze, no point in logging if you aren't honest 100% of the time. I've been known to skip a snack in favor of saving those calories for my rum and d.coke.

9805421.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Not a drinker.

Cost outweighs the benefit for me. Too many calories. I'd rather eat a cupcake!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    we drink on the weekends sometimes- but i usually put a shot of rum into a sobe life water and I always log in on here.
    the rum is only 69 calories a shot and the sobe is 0 calories so I try to work my food around that so I can have a drink or 2 without feeling too guilty
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When I was in the serious weight loss phase, I could count on one hand the glass's of wine and I logged it and counted it and yes...actually used a measuring cup, I carried them with me everywhere. OCD, I know. Anyway, once I got to my goal and was able to maintain it, I relaxed and would have drinks with friends or whatever now and then, and I sometimes log it, sometimes don't worry about it. Make sure you log that juice too, it has sugar and calories.
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I usually just drink on Saturday nights....usually I eat really light on Saturday and log a 1000-1500 calories for Sarurday nights...has not affected my weight loss yet. It's my "cheat" day I guess. :drinker:
  • bflicker11
    Options
    Very rarely do I drink. When I do, I make sure it's worth it. I do an annual beach trip with the girls. I know that night I'll be drinking quite a bit. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Out of the year, I may drink 3 times. It's not because of calories that I don't drink. It's a family history of addiction that causes me to say no to drinking often.