breastfeeding in public

Options

Replies

• Bochka
    Bochka Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    People who think its disgusting should just get over themselves. You can't even see a woman's breast while she feeds the baby, its covered by baby's face and shirt or some people cover up with blankets. Breastfeeding in the restrooms IS disgusting and people who think it's ok to feed a baby there should try eating in those nasty restrooms instead.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    good grief, I started to read this and then was just sitting open mouthed, how up tight are some of the people on here. Wow this is NATURE it is what we ARE DESIGNED for, dear me, breasts are FOR FEEDING BABIES, what sort of people are scared of seeing this, I fed all three of my babies, I was discreet and didn't wave them about, but I didn't sit in toilets or hide under a blanket either.

My children see me naked even now, they all come into the bathroom when I am in the bathtub and none of them live at home, we are not nudists, weird or perverts, we are just a family that is comfortable with ourselves and each other and this is fine and healthy and how I want my impending grandchild to be raised, and I want it to be breastfed too, because that is the best way for a baby to be fed, it gives it the best start, the most healthy start, the most immunity, the lowest chance of colic, and even lowers its chance of being obese and even possible raises its IQ
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    Coincidentally just saw this in my newsfeed:

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2359203066282&set=p.2359203066282&type=1&theater
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that this topic gets so heated. I breastfeed my baby (and he's over a year--I know--scandalous, lol) in public (I like to leave the house sometimes) and though I am discreet--he is not. He does not appreciate have a blanket over his face and will remove it. I've never been approached or received dirty looks. It's just part of being a mom to me.

I'll join you with the scandal. My son was 27 months when I stopped nursing (from 12 months to 27 months I nursed morning and night so it was always at home). My daughter is almost 20 months and I'm nursing her morning and night too until she is 25 months (corresponds with the end of the school year!!).

My son was 4 1/2 when my daughter was born and I wasn't going to go into the bedroom when I wanted to nurse her so he saw me and my boobs while I was feeding my daughter. He also can open a door and sometimes sleeps in our bedroom so he's seen me come out of the shower without a robe on (horror). I want my children to know there is nothing wrong with the human body, it is not gross/disgusting, and that it is not inherently a sexual thing. I have taught him that his private parts (and those of others) are private and should not been seen or touched by anyone but mom/dad, grandma/grandpa (since they are his childcare and have helped potty train him) and his doctor. He knows the difference between good touch and bad touch. And he knows that mommy has bigger boobies than daddy and that he and daddy have a penis but that mommy and sister don't. And there is nothing disgusting about knowing any of that.

He still walks in when I nurse my daughter when she wakes or goes to sleep and even kisses her good night and good morning when she's latched on. Big deal.......he's being a sweet and kind big brother with a loving heart who knows that mommy milk is very healthy for his little sister. And that's the lesson he's learning.....that the body is normal and natural, that there is a time/place/reason to be naked, there is no need for shame over your body and that the body is an amazing thing created by God to be good. I'm proud of how he knows these things and what I've done for both of my children. And I covered up in public because I never know what someone else was dealing with and how that could emotionally affect them (especially moms who wished they could nurse and couldn't, those who had lost children and didn't have what I had, or those who had been abused in a way that this kind of display could have hurt in ways I would never know).

Beautifully said. :flowerforyou:
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I know how to solve all of this - why don't we just have mothers stay at home in the kitchen with their children where they belong, then no one out in public will have to be exposed to infants being fed by breasts of all things. Then, let's make sure that all parents have single beds so their children don't know that mommy and daddy sleep in the same bed and won't be traumatized for life. And then, when a girl comes of age she shouldn't be allowed out of the house during her time - after all, she needs to start learning that her natural functions as a woman are something to be ashamed of and she might as well get used to being shut up in the house now. There, now no one will be offended - oh, but wait, we still have all the oversexed young people running around with nearly everything exposed. Well, they can be shut in, too. Hey, everything is done online anyway, what do people need to be out in public for? But make sure you supervise your children during internet usage, or they might learn that little boys have a penis, and little girls have a vagina and will later have breasts in order to feed babies, and then the world as we know it will come to an end.

Finally! Someone who knows what they are talking about!

Women don't belong in Target they belong barefoot in the kitchen.

And here I thought this post was about something completely different.....
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    if you all care to read more about this (which you are probably sick of lol) http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/29/9805898-got-milk-target-does-readers-share-stories-from-the-target-nurse-in

Interesting article, with some interesting reader comments. Some of them are dumb, but some of them make good points. One such point is this: "People have the "right" to do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they are tactful or thoughtful while they are doing it."

As a nurse in triaining I would urge you to reconsider your plans for breast feeding in the future. You should be well trained in the benefits of breastfeeding and the drawbacks of using formula.

Just because I am going to become a nurse does not mean that I am obligated to breastfeed my own children. Sure it is the better choice but keep in mind the word "choice." I have studied the benefits of breastfeeding, and I do know it's the better option for a baby. But what about my needs? It is my own choice! I would prefer to be independent and not have to have a baby constantly sucking on my breasts, have medical problems as a result of breastfeeding like uneven breasts, mastitis, plugged ducts, nipple soreness/cracking, time spent pumping, having embarrassing accidents in public like leaking milk, etc. For me, those negatives outweigh the positives. Also, feeding a baby is an important way for a father to bond with the baby as well, and I wouldn't want to deny my husband that opportunity.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    But what about my needs? It is my own choice! I would prefer to be independent and not have to have a baby constantly sucking on my breasts, have medical problems as a result of breastfeeding like uneven breasts, mastitis, plugged ducts, nipple soreness/cracking, time spent pumping, having embarrassing accidents in public like leaking milk, etc. For me, those negatives outweigh the positives. Also, feeding a baby is an important way for a father to bond with the baby as well, and I wouldn't want to deny my husband that opportunity.

Your needs?? Sorry sweetie, but when you become a parent, your needs take a backseat.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    But what about my needs? It is my own choice! I would prefer to be independent and not have to have a baby constantly sucking on my breasts, have medical problems as a result of breastfeeding like uneven breasts, mastitis, plugged ducts, nipple soreness/cracking, time spent pumping, having embarrassing accidents in public like leaking milk, etc. For me, those negatives outweigh the positives. Also, feeding a baby is an important way for a father to bond with the baby as well, and I wouldn't want to deny my husband that opportunity.

Your needs?? Sorry sweetie, but when you become a parent, your needs take a backseat.

Being a good parent means taking good care of yourself. If she chose to breast feed and became stressed and upset what good would that do for a child???

A happy healthy parent makes a happy healthy baby :)
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    if you all care to read more about this (which you are probably sick of lol) http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/29/9805898-got-milk-target-does-readers-share-stories-from-the-target-nurse-in

Interesting article, with some interesting reader comments. Some of them are dumb, but some of them make good points. One such point is this: "People have the "right" to do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they are tactful or thoughtful while they are doing it."

As a nurse in triaining I would urge you to reconsider your plans for breast feeding in the future. You should be well trained in the benefits of breastfeeding and the drawbacks of using formula.

Just because I am going to become a nurse does not mean that I am obligated to breastfeed my own children. Sure it is the better choice but keep in mind the word "choice." I have studied the benefits of breastfeeding, and I do know it's the better option for a baby. But what about my needs? It is my own choice! I would prefer to be independent and not have to have a baby constantly sucking on my breasts, have medical problems as a result of breastfeeding like uneven breasts, mastitis, plugged ducts, nipple soreness/cracking, time spent pumping, having embarrassing accidents in public like leaking milk, etc. For me, those negatives outweigh the positives. Also, feeding a baby is an important way for a father to bond with the baby as well, and I wouldn't want to deny my husband that opportunity.

For a nurse in training you sure don't know what you're talking about. Not that I'm surprised considering the medical community is so used to pushing formula onto new mothers. You can get clogged ducts, mastitis, uneven breasts, and leaking whether you breastfeed or not. It's just the nature of bearing a child. Did you also know that women who do not breastfeed have a higher incidence of PPD because their body basically thinks the baby has died? It's your choice but please be well informed upon what you're talking about. Because right about now you sound pretty ignorant about the whole thing.

As a nursing mom of two I've personally never had mastitis, plugged ducts, or leaking accidents. The only time I pumped was when my daughter was in the NICU to help establish a milk supply when she couldn't latch, the first time around the soreness went away within a week (you're going to get sore/ engorged anyway ya know), and it was a lot easier to just roll over and pop a boob in the kid's mouth in the middle of the night instead of getting up and perparing a bottle. But hey, who wants more sleep?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

You can get clogged ducts, mastitis, uneven breasts, and leaking whether you breastfeed or not. It's just the nature of bearing a child. Did you also know that women who do not breastfeed have a higher incidence of PPD because their body basically thinks the baby has died?

Breastfeeding also greatly decreases the risk of breast cancer for mother AND child. It also decreases the risk for the mother to develop osteoporosis. It helps you shed the pregnancy weight, because after all, that's why you put on that fat during pregnancy, so you'd have the energy stores to make milk. If the baby is exposed to any illness, the mother's antibodies will help fight the illness so baby doesn't get so sick -- which means more sleep for everybody if the baby is healthier.

Just FYI for anyone who's interested. :)
  • ajbeans
    Options
    And I don't know why you think breastfeeding causes uneven breasts. Most women's breasts aren't the same size from the time they grow in. Mine certainly aren't, and breastfeeding didn't make it better OR worse.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally just saw this in my newsfeed:

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2359203066282&set=p.2359203066282&type=1&theater

Thanks, Just hit share for all my friends to bounce around too.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options

Being a good parent means taking good care of yourself. If she chose to breast feed and became stressed and upset what good would that do for a child???

A happy healthy parent makes a happy healthy baby :)

Agreed. BUT she is talking about her choice to formula feed. Not that she tried breastfeeding and was unsuccessful or didn't have support.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Daddy can feed the baby with saved breast milk....
    I have seen many students take time to go to a quiet area and pump, no biggie. I don't think a 4 year old should be breast feeding but babies and mom's do have a very strong bond with breast feeding. That being said I did not breast feed (daughter 34) and my daughter is great, my boobs don't seem any different then my friends who breast fed. It is a choice and neither side should be made to feel guilty or wrong. I would want to be absolutely sure about where my formula was coming from though cause there IS some bad crap out there.
  • iamnotashley
    iamnotashley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding in the restrooms IS disgusting and people who think it's ok to feed a baby there should try eating in those nasty restrooms instead.
    How is this even an argument? Your kid doesn't even understand the concept of dirty or not dirty, YOU do. Your baby just want's food, so it shouldn't matter where...
    LOL. Guess you give up your right as a human and now you are just a baby maker.
    good grief, I started to read this and then was just sitting open mouthed, how up tight are some of the people on here. Wow this is NATURE it is what we ARE DESIGNED for, dear me, breasts are FOR FEEDING BABIES, what sort of people are scared of seeing this, I fed all three of my babies, I was discreet and didn't wave them about, but I didn't sit in toilets or hide under a blanket either.

My children see me naked even now, they all come into the bathroom when I am in the bathtub and none of them live at home, we are not nudists, weird or perverts, we are just a family that is comfortable with ourselves and each other and this is fine and healthy and how I want my impending grandchild to be raised, and I want it to be breastfed too, because that is the best way for a baby to be fed, it gives it the best start, the most healthy start, the most immunity, the lowest chance of colic, and even lowers its chance of being obese and even possible raises its IQ
    I think you're forgetting one thing... breastfeeding...IN PUBLIC. Do people not realize this on the Web site? It's the PUBLIC part that is the problem...not the breastfeeding part. You didn't even cover up? Honestly I think that is the most rudest part here. Between breast feeding in public, you weren't even discreet, meaning more than likely you've had an exposed breast in public even for a second, which then turns from breastfeeding but to public nudity now...and I don't see how that is right for anyone. I honestly wouldn't want to see it.

While some breast feeders feel they have no other choice, I want you guys to remember that there is this REALLY COOL NEW INVENTION...called the BREAST PUMP. If you are worried about having to pop out your breasts in front of people, no matter what the reason, there is always that...Bottles =/= formula or other types of milk...anything can go in a bottle.

As far as the whole 'every mammal has breasts' argument, you do realize that humans wear clothes, right, and animals walk around...naked all the time? So that doesn't really compare... Boy, you guys need to work on your argument skills.
  • ajbeans
    Options

I think you're forgetting one thing... breastfeeding...IN PUBLIC. Do people not realize this on the Web site? It's the PUBLIC part that is the problem...not the breastfeeding part. You didn't even cover up? Honestly I think that is the most rudest part here. Between breast feeding in public, you weren't even discreet, meaning more than likely you've had an exposed breast in public even for a second, which then turns from breastfeeding but to public nudity now...and I don't see how that is right for anyone. I honestly wouldn't want to see it.

While some breast feeders feel they have no other choice, I want you guys to remember that there is this REALLY COOL NEW INVENTION...called the BREAST PUMP. If you are worried about having to pop out your breasts in front of people, no matter what the reason, there is always that...Bottles =/= formula or other types of milk...anything can go in a bottle.

As far as the whole 'every mammal has breasts' argument, you do realize that humans wear clothes, right, and animals walk around...naked all the time? So that doesn't really compare... Boy, you guys need to work on your argument skills.

You've missed what several people have said. Not everyone can pump. Not every woman's body responds to a pump because it acts differently than a baby does, and then there are women like me who have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk which makes the milk taste soapy after more than a few minutes outside the body. It's gross. My children wouldn't drink it, and I wouldn't blame them.

Breastfeeding is not covered under public nudity laws. Breastfeeding mothers are allowed to nurse in any federal building IN PUBLIC without being asked to leave or cover up. Because it's not the same as just being naked in public. It's feeding a baby.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    breastfeeding in public is just fine...just be kind and cover yourself a bit! It's just more polite. I breastfed all 3 of my kiddos and often in public but I ALWAYS covered up. At home, the entire shirt came off and I flopped it out wherever I wanted to!

I also do not worry about my children seeing me naked...we just don't make a big deal about it. boobs are boobs who cares. Our bodies were supposed to be naked...that's why we are not born with clothes on.

HOWEVER, I have 3 girls and only 3 girls so my husband is a little more careful about his body. He does not make a point to prance around the house naked but he does walk around in his underwear every now and then and the girls will walk in our bathroom on him from time to time. He covers himself but they all know that daddy is different because he is a boy. My kids are 9, 7, and 5......yes, my nine year old knows that she is going to develop breasts and has begun to already. Breastfeeding has been non-stop in my family(I have 6 sisters) for the past 9 years...I do NOT make my sisters cover up in front of my kids. My girls are growing up knowing that breastfeeding is a beautiful natural way to feed your baby and there is no reason to be ashamed of your body.....they also know that there is a time and a place to be naked!

AND they have walked in on us numerous times when we are having "adult relations" it happens. I very clearly remember hearing my parents...it was gross for a few years then I thought it was pretty amazing that myparents were that "active" (I do have 6 sisters and 1 brother LOL), but again, that is another beautiful part of being a human and teaching our children to enjoy their body as well as their spouses body is a very healthy thing that needs to be taught to all children. How you do it is up to you but you have to realize that everyone is different in their views. Our bodies are beautiful and modesty is important but you can be too modest and make your children almost afraid of their body if you are too private about it!
    Don't be offended by a breastfeeding mom unless your child points and asks what she is doing. Then simply tell them it is not polite to point and explain that the mom is feeding her baby and you will tal about it at home! Chances are they will forget about it.
    I bet you are the same person that would flip out if the baby was screaming it's head off because the mom was trying to finish what she was doing and rush someplace private to feed the baby. Would you think twice about shoving a bottle in a screaming babies mouth??? then why not a boob??? It is only icky because so many people view the breast as a sexual object...when a baby is attached to it it no longer becomes a sexual object...it is a feeding device for that period of time...when the baby is done with it and she walks around the store with it dangling out of her shirt then that is a whole 'nother story!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Although breast feeding has proven to be better for a child there are children out there who have not breast feed and turned out to be brilliant.

I breast feed, but that was me. I think as a parent though I did it because I felt obligated to. The nurses/doctors/family members scared me into believing that if i didnt something would be wrong with my child. All the "risks".

I think I would do it again if I had another however, to women who chose not to I dont think its fair to look down upon them if they make they choice. Its about whats doing whats right for you.

And as far as bonding goes a child who breast feeds still has a chance to bond with their father(without feeding) My daughters father used to take his shirt off and offer a pacifier to my daughter so they could have the skin to skin bond without feeding and more for relaxing.

And for that matter there are adopted children everywhere who dont breast feed but connect very closely to their adoptive parents.

Annnnnyway.....

back to breast feeding in public....
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding in the restrooms IS disgusting and people who think it's ok to feed a baby there should try eating in those nasty restrooms instead.
    How is this even an argument? Your kid doesn't even understand the concept of dirty or not dirty, YOU do. Your baby just want's food, so it shouldn't matter where...
    LOL. Guess you give up your right as a human and now you are just a baby maker.

Wow really WE need to work on OUR argument skills? Honey, you haven't made a valid point yet. Breastfeeding in a bathroom is nasty. The stink, the sounds, the germs. Yuck, seriously when I see you eat your big mac in the bathroom I'll happily breastfeed in one. Eeeew....

When you become a parent, good ones normally put their children's needs first. It's just a fact. Although I breastfed for purely selfish reasons: less dishes.

Not everyone can let down enough for a pump. I know I sure couldn't. I pumped while my daughter was in the NICU and that's it. It's a pain in the butt to pump to begin with, not to mention if you feed baby with a bottle while you're out you have to pump to make up for that feeding. That means double the time spent on feeding.

I'm sure glad people like you don't make the laws.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    feed in the bathroom.......yeah, I'll feed my baby in the bathroom when you feed your toddler in there! When you flush a toilet all kinds of nastiness flies in the air...you want that all over your boobies for your baby to suck in?

NASTY!