Nudity - and your children

Options

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    on the same subject , sort of, how about going out for a meal at the local pub today and a woman was breastfeeding her baby while we ate, surely she could have sat in a corner, but no, right in the middle of everyone, even my wife said she could have made an effort to protect herself from all the ogling young men

:noway:

Sorry as guy and I am being serious I see nothing wrong in that and I say that because my daughter-in-law breast feeds and covers up so as to not bother anybody and I think it's normal.....I think you are going to get slammed by this comment...sorry.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I do think that seeing boobs is one thing, and seeing a wiener is another.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think at five years old, that's probably fine. I think as the child gets older, you could be more modest. I know I didn't want to see my parents naked as a child, I thought it was GROSS... I remember seeing my thirty year old cousin naked in the shower and thinking her boobs were gross and wondering WHY she wanted me to come into the bathroom (to grab her kid out of the shower) and I was about 9. I think to each their own. I know in my house nakedness was very taboo and now I'm very weird about nudity because of it. It messed me up and I don't want that for my children...but I don't think I'll just be careless about it. I figure, if it happens, it happens, but I'm not sure how far I would go with allowing them to see me naked.

I think what you've mentioned is just fine, though.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I totally think that when they're young it's not a big deal, I agree with most everything everyone else said. Your situation is similar to mine in that we have sons. I think that if I had daughters I would never think there was an age that mattered, but at some point I know my son will think it is disgusting to see me naked, and then he'll probably avoid it at all costs!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    OMG, can no one PLEASE bring up the breastfeeding in public thing again.

It was torturous enough yesterday.

Please....LET. IT. DIE.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I am naked in front of mine, boy is 2 and girl is 9, would probably be different if it was the other way round though.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Send me a picture of the boobies in question and I'll tell you if I'm offended LOL!
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think its completely normal and fine. I have three boys and the older two (4 and 7) are often barging into the bathroom while I'm showering and yanking back the curtain to tell me something... usually to tattle on the other one.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just tell him its not good manners to laugh at mommies boobies. Please go play. And he does.

Love it :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i think as long as you have a healthy relationship with your kid, your kid will let you know when they are not comfortable with it. Just be receptive to clues- like your kid wanting privacy for themselves.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I do think that seeing boobs is one thing, and seeing a wiener is another.

Well I know which one I'll take given the option...
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    Censor nudity/sex in a trusting/natural/safe environment, it doesn't leave room for children to grow up knowing that they don't have to look like the ads (as human bodies pretty much don't look like that), that boobs, butts, nips, genitals are in all sorts of shapes and sizes and everyone has them and they don't need to be sexualized, feared, nor ashamed. Women's bodies in particular are extreme sexed up in society, as if having appeal (particularly to hetero men) is the only purpose of females. I'll never understand the opposition to breast feeding in public, for example. Imo, a child being exposed to nudity in a non-sexual environment may well grow up more respectful of fellow humans.

It's your house and your rules, and if they have children, same applies to them.

I don't have kids, but I suspect it'll be very similar to you and your son if I ever do.
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    im trying to cover up more because i have a 8,6,year old boys,,,,but the whole bathroom thing is soooo true,,,,:yawn: ,
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    At his age, making a big deal about it is only going to peek his curiosity. I think there is nothing wrong with it. Now, you will want to set some boundaries the closer he gets to puberty, but for now, not a big deal.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I think at five years old, that's probably fine. I think as the child gets older, you could be more modest. I know I didn't want to see my parents naked as a child, I thought it was GROSS... I remember seeing my thirty year old cousin naked in the shower and thinking her boobs were gross and wondering WHY she wanted me to come into the bathroom (to grab her kid out of the shower) and I was about 9. I think to each their own. I know in my house nakedness was very taboo and now I'm very weird about nudity because of it. It messed me up and I don't want that for my children...but I don't think I'll just be careless about it. I figure, if it happens, it happens, but I'm not sure how far I would go with allowing them to see me naked.

I think what you've mentioned is just fine, though.

I don't think I have a clue where you stand after reading this :) But you totally made me giggle :)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    You have honestly put me a bit at ease, so thank you.... Parenting is not easy *LOL*
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    single mom with (almost) 5y.o. daughter...sometimes she still takes showers with me. Most the time doors aren't closed all the way for the same reasons you stated.

My best friend and I use to talk to her mom when she'd take baths and she'd just cover herself with a towel and we never thought twice about it.
    Rare times I take a bath, my daughter is usually playing with barbies in the bathroom talking to me.

I think it's harmless up until a certain age...being that I have a girl, she'll prolly always see her mom half naked hahaha

I shower with my best friend. She's not a child, but some people think it's strange that we shower together, and we see nothing wrong with it.
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    on the same subject , sort of, how about going out for a meal at the local pub today and a woman was breastfeeding her baby while we ate, surely she could have sat in a corner, but no, right in the middle of everyone, even my wife said she could have made an effort to protect herself from all the ogling young men

:noway:

Heaven forbid a woman feeds her child in a safe, entirely natural, healthy way.
    So sorry that seeing a breast used for its biological purpose unnerves you so.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    single mom with (almost) 5y.o. daughter...sometimes she still takes showers with me. Most the time doors aren't closed all the way for the same reasons you stated.

My best friend and I use to talk to her mom when she'd take baths and she'd just cover herself with a towel and we never thought twice about it.
    Rare times I take a bath, my daughter is usually playing with barbies in the bathroom talking to me.

I think it's harmless up until a certain age...being that I have a girl, she'll prolly always see her mom half naked hahaha

I shower with my best friend. She's not a child, but some people think it's strange that we shower together, and we see nothing wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with it if you were in a relationship, but just showering with a bestie... what would be the point?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I saw that on Cinemax last night!