Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    You want stupid diet myths / tips, just click any thread on this site at random. The levels of ignorance and credulity simply defy belief.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Wifey's cousin has encouraged all 3 of her kids to smoke because she says "It'll make you thin and pretty, like me".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    that a pound of muscle weight more than a pound of fat. GRRRRRRRRRRRR a pound weights a pound...

I've yet to see a post that says a pound of muscled weighs more than a pound of fat. Though I have seen many that say "muscle doesn't weigh more than fat because a pound is a pound", which isn't a myth, just irrelevant and silly.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There are medical conditions where low carb diets are best.... just saying.

As a women with PCOS(look it up) I find it ridiculous when someone tells me to just each a wel balance diet...beacuse even counting my calories i will not lose weight unless i cut the carbs.

hear hear. I'm a woman with PCOS and I have to cut carbs to lose weight. there is no other way. And for everyone who says doing extremely low carb makes you sick with no energy, wrong. I felt fine and was able to work out no problem whatsoever. These days I do restricted carb just because extreme low carb is so boring.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wifey's cousin has encouraged all 3 of her kids to smoke because she says "It'll make you thin and pretty, like me".

It's a good thing she's not my cousin. I would call CPS.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    "That reading all the posts in a 15pg thread on MFP will result in you not getting any work done"
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    aytch. see. jee.

Elle. Em. Ay. Oh.
  • lackofnames3
    lackofnames3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    amen to that!
  • Ladydrake12
    Ladydrake12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My mother in law told me that protein causes cancer and should be avoided (hence the reason Vegetarians don't get cancer...). *sigh*
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

:smokin: Just kidding. I really feel like :noway:

If the kids are under age 18, I think a call to CPS might be in order.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Current radio ad for some diet crap that says the following:
    "Did you knwo that If you're a woman over 40 you have to work out an HOUR a day to maintain your current weight?!"
    Um NOOOOOO???? So not true.

I hate that ad! Hate it. I yell at my radio everytime i hear it.
  • MissMisery1313
    Options
    A candy bar and Diet Coke will cancel each other out.

Grapefruit and bacon eaten together will burn fat.

:huh:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    that a pound of muscle weight more than a pound of fat. GRRRRRRRRRRRR a pound weights a pound...

I've yet to see a post that says a pound of muscled weighs more than a pound of fat. Though I have seen many that say "muscle doesn't weigh more than fat because a pound is a pound", which isn't a myth, just irrelevant and silly.

Then you're looking at the wrong posts! :laugh:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You want stupid diet myths / tips, just click any thread on this site at random. The levels of ignorance and credulity simply defy belief.

:)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    HCG and don't eat after a certain time of day

This. And anyone who refuses to exercise.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if I get pregnant my doctor will mandate that I eat meat (I'm vegetarian) because there is NO WAY anyone can have a healthy pregnancy without eating meat because you can't get vitamins without eating meat.

I laughed at this since I credit my bad-*kitten* immune system to my nutrient rich diet and my friend is 27, overweight, with osteoporosis and hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. To each their own.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    U Weight Loss is one of the Stupidest Diet places ever.
    And Apple Cider Vinegar will make you lose a lb a day, It just give you acid reflux and the runs. !
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's been years but the low fat lie was the last time I bought into such foolishness.
    We were buying NO FAT items loaded with sugar not knowing the harm we were doing.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if I get pregnant my doctor will mandate that I eat meat (I'm vegetarian) because there is NO WAY anyone can have a healthy pregnancy without eating meat because you can't get vitamins without eating meat.

I laughed at this since I credit my bad-*kitten* immune system to my nutrient rich diet and my friend is 27, overweight, with osteoporosis and hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. To each their own.

So being hypothyroid is her fault somehow?
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    heard that famous people remove their bottom rib to make them have a smaller waste.