Lost 96lbs and made top 10 in physique contest...

Options

Replies

• zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili, each serving is nearly 3 lbs of food. NO JOKE. 3 lbs. of food is hard to eat in one sitting so I suggest eating half portions and adding protein shakes to supplement the food. Macros per serving as I need them to be are 94c/20f/55p.:drinker:

Here we go...................

Here are the macros. Don't be fooled at the 94c/20f/55p. This will fill your stomach and leave you breathless and sleepy feeling.:laugh:
    c0.JPG

Very easy to make. Minimal measuring. The bulk of your ingredients are right here from Costco.
    c1.JPG

your choice and amount of ground cumin. I like a lot.
    c2.JPG

1 package of Jennie-O ground turkey 93/7. I guess you can get the dish leaner if you use the 97/3. Either way, fit it into your macros. You could get the leaner turkey and to be honest, you won't taste the difference.
    c3.JPG

15ml of this stuff
    c4.JPG

c5.JPG

c6.JPG

c7.JPG

put all corn and beans into a strainer and rinse/drain the liquid.
    c8.JPG

here they are drained, mixed, and ready to plop into the pot.
    c9.JPG

saute onion, with garlic with 15ml of oil. (measured using couch syrup cup).
    c10.JPG

add the three cans of diced tomatoes
    c11.JPG

add zucchini
    c12.JPG

mix...
    c13.JPG

add the legumes....
    c14.JPG

For size reference, the pot is actually pretty big and takes up some space. Our stove is 8 burners big with two of the burners converted into a griddle.
    c15.JPG

Looks like a lot of food right, but wait, time to add water and simmer for about 10mins.
    c16.JPG

water added............................................
    c17.JPG

simmering for 10mins or so. Keep in mind, nearly fills the entire pot. Keep in mind this is 4 servings worth with macros of 94c/20f/55p...
    c18.JPG

Since I was simmering this pot for 10mins or so, I moved it to a different burner and again for size reference. It's not a small pot.
    c19.JPG

I measured all the chili and three "servings" is for me and one serving for the family put in two smaller containers. You can see one of the smaller containers in the upper left.
    c20.JPG

THE WEIGH IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here's the kicker. Each serving is 94c/20f/55p with 26g of fiber in one sitting and the whole thing weighs 1,228 grams OR 1.228 Kilograms. Yeah, Kilograms...:bigsmile:
    c21.JPG

Don't like Kilograms? One serving of Turkey Chili is about 2lbs and 11.3 ozs PER SERVING. That's nearly 3 lbs of food. Macros again are 94c/20f/55p.:glasses:
    c22.JPG

I add this because I like spicy foods.
    c23.JPG

macros are 0/0/0
    c24.JPG

If you've ever eaten close to 3 lbs of food in one sitting it is not fun.:sick: So What I did was partition this out in half servings so the macros per container above are 47c/10f/28p and I vacuum seal them and into the freezer they go. If you are low-carbing it, then one of these smaller containers with macros of 47c/10f/28p would be fine but it lacks protein so a whey protein shake would be nice for another ~24g of protein. Now, into the freezer they go for easy of eating later (wife loves it as she doesn't really have to cook).
    c25.JPG

ENJOY FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    Bookmarking this to read later as I need to reboot my computer. You look awesome, and all your hard work is certainly paying off. It's true that there are no shortcuts to success, but hard work and dedication! Well done you :happy:
  • skyguy747
    skyguy747 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for this thread Zip!
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for this thread Zip!

wow, I just uploaded the Turkey Chili
  • racymandi21
    racymandi21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. You always post the best things :)
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I would really like to see some of your before pics, when you were at your heaviest....you have clearly done an amazing job!!!

Here you go...

Left photo 271 lbs.
    Middle photo 200 lbs.
    Right photo 175 lbs.

really ?? 271 !!!

1zi0kNow9V69fQrZo95brSLZUP8K0475.jpeg
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Impressive results!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Terrific documentation all the way through. I will refer back many times. Mostly for the information Sometimes just to ogle. Thats your own darn fault! (Don't worry, I'm 60!)
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. You always post the best things :)

why thank you... Cookie Crisp N Cream Ice Cream is my next project, but I haven't had the time to get all the ingredients yet.
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Great thread. Impressive results!

thanks.
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Terrific documentation all the way through. I will refer back many times. Mostly for the information Sometimes just to ogle. Thats your own darn fault! (Don't worry, I'm 60!)

Yes. The blood test results and what not and future updates will be posted as well.
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    I would really like to see some of your before pics, when you were at your heaviest....you have clearly done an amazing job!!!

Here you go...

Left photo 271 lbs.
    Middle photo 200 lbs.
    Right photo 175 lbs.

really ?? 271 !!!

1zi0kNow9V69fQrZo95brSLZUP8K0475.jpeg

Yep, 271lbs at the heaviest. Most people thought I wasn't that heavy. It's not until I stand next to my 110lbs wife that you'll notice the size difference. That and I've always lifted weights so I will not look as heavy if someone my height with less musculature at that same weight.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Bump
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Many of you asked how to plan meals and what not. I have three kids. I lecture at two universities as well two separate businesses and my wife is has a business of her own. So time is somewhat short. So we plan way ahead of time and cook in large batches and eat permutations of food sources.

Chicken and Beef is supreme in our home:wink: . Fish will usually be cooked on the spot that day when eaten. But again I cook in large batches and vacuum seal them with that vacuum sealer you've all seen in infomercials. When its lunch or dinner time, my wife just has to figure out a carb source for her and the kids. I eat weird stuff with my protein sources so for her and the kids if they are having chicken, then I know chicken will be thawed and I have to make my own carb source. If they are having pasta, I'll have wheat pasta. If they are having rice, I'll have brown rice. So on and so forth.

Here are some examples of how much food I usually cook every 2 weeks or so. To give you scale. The grill I have is the Weber Ranch Kettle grilled which I believes measures 42" in diameter so it's pretty big. I have like four grills at my home and I'm a bit of a grill-enthusiast.:bigsmile:

grilled herb chicken drumsticks with brown rice and broccoli (boring I know)
    g1.jpg

1 whole package of chicken breast from Costco. About 8 lbs of chicken breast. Grilled with salt/pepper/Italian seasoning it will fit in a lot of different recipes, soups, and salads. Note the strong product placement of the Coke Zero (don't judge) and the Super Mario decals on my fridge (we just had a birthday party)
    g2.jpg

5lbs of tri-tip cut across the grain and marinaded Korean BBQ style. That is all...:bigsmile:
    g3.jpg

Meat on the grill...
    g5.jpg

So here is a ton of protein (more like 20lbs, not a ton, but you get the point :laugh:) Now I usually vacuum seal about 4-6 drumsticks per package and I partition out the beef in 8ozs increments.
    g4.jpg

So this is how I manage the meat consumption in our house. I precook everything, then vacuum seal and voila, my wife doesn't really have to cook other than boiling pasta, cooking rice, or chopping lettuce for salad. Like the pizzas, it's premade at home and my wife and I just pick and choose what we like to eat. Now granted I'm cooking for about 1-2 hours grilling or prepping food on Sundays, but it frees up SO MUCH TIME during the week.

When my kids start heading off to college (hopefully locally) I will be doing this for them because (1) I want them to eat wholesome foods and (2) I get to hover and spy on them when I visit - YES, I plan ahead...:wink:
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Found some older pictures of me using all 4 grills making not-so-healthy foods for a family party (I was about 240lbs in that photo, down from 270lbs)

Getting the fire started and tamed. The big Ranch kettle was used to grill while the two regular web grills was used for rotisserie and the smoker was to smoke something like 6 or 7 pork butts for pulled pork goodness :tongue: <
    trying to drool, but there's no drool smiley face.
    g6.JPG

Grills..............................................................................
    g7.JPG

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pulled pork with smoke ring bark. Incidentally, I ended up vacuum sealing this and people took it as freezeable leftovers.:grumble:
    g8.JPG
  • suzy50minus
    suzy50minus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow what a success story!! You look GREAT!!
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Wow what a success story!! You look GREAT!!

Thanks. If you have questions, my diary is pretty much opened.
  • melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    your story is very motivational and proves excersie does work in this weight loss process. sending friend request.
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    your story is very motivational and proves excersie does work in this weight loss process. sending friend request.

thanks - my turn to give back...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Look at all those grills! 4?!

Heading back to the turkey chili. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!