WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Monday to all,

Just popping in and checking the posts. Had a busy weekend , had to work Saturday (due to boss filing Chap 11) am overloaded with work, and not exactly excited about being here....oh well...still hoping hubby gets a job this year.

Was good for most of the weekend and tomorrow is weigh in day, there is nothing like having to relive a place that you KNOW you shouldn't be doing again:sad: but sad to say that's where I am. it did take me 9 mo to gain this:blushing: but I'm more than determined to lose it again and then will not return to this never land again.

Drink your water and keep up the good fight:drinker:

Laura
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm back! I took a couple of weeks off of the boards for the holidays, and my, you ladies have been a busy bunch! I just finished reading all of the posts that I had missed. Anyway, I will post more later tonight, just wanted to say hi.
    And - I will try to get the birthday list up tonight. If you would like included on the list of birthdays, just send me a message with your birthday and I will add you in. A message works better than putting it in your post on here, because I might miss it on here. See you all in a few hours! Mary
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    oh i almost forgot...i have a question...do any of you log in you days in advance...pre log meals, exercise, etc???thanks

I've seen some who do -- someone on my news feed this morning had already completed their food diary entry for the day (or maybe they just entered what they had eaten so far and will go back and amend it later).

I don't think that would work well for me. For one thing, even though I plan ahead, often something comes up that causes those plans to go awry. It would be a real pain to have to go back and remove stuff and re-enter other stuff!

And I know myself well enough to know that if my planned food were already in there, I'd be tempted to have "just a nibble" of something unplanned (like chocolate), and not go back and add the calories in b/c "it was just a nibble". But then the nibble would turn into a bite and the bite into a whole candy bar . . . I just think I'm more honest with myself if I add each thing as I eat it.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have suggestions. I can go without eating, which has stopped my metabolism. I did WW a few years back and had a hard time eating all the points, I do eat breakfast M-F on my way to work, and during the weekend I can go a long time without food, how can I work more food into my day while working 8 hours. Looking at my counts this weekend I have gone over the 1200 calories l listed should I change my goals or????Any help is appreciated

14630164.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Hi, Try changing your calorie goal to be your BMR rounded up. 1200 might be too low if you are just starting out. I used my BRM for my goal adjusting it down every 10 pounds I lost.

Each of us has our own individual route to take. For me, I had a hard time with just 1200 calories a day until I lost a lot of weight and it was closer to my BMR. The BMR calculator is under tools.

Hang in there,

Jeannie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Robin,

I am happy for you and your new puppy. what a cutie!

Jeannie
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,:flowerforyou:

I know I haven't been on in months but I have checked in once in a great while to read posts. I even have debated to even write now, but I know I need to start logging my food again as this was a major key for me to lose weight. But honestly, (and I don't want this to turn into a sob story) I am simply not motivated and am physically and mentally exhausted. The holidays killed me trying to get people things they wanted and me trying to come up with financial miracles to get them. Financially, I am always one step behind, with no relief in sight. But that is nothing new.
    My mom has gotten worse. She has given up on walking or doing anything for that matter. The physical therapist, bather, and doctors are fed up with her and are not happy that she will not at least help them or I when we are doing things for her. I have turned into a walking zombie now when performing tasks like diaper changes, toilet transfers, medications, feeding, etc. I simply zone out. She is miserable and is having a hard time coming to the realization that she is turning more and more childlike. She has gotten meaner than before (if that's possible) and always brings up things from the past. She know exactly what buttons to push and it always ends up with us arguing and we basically can't stand each other now. I know that is a horrible thing to say and honestly I just don't know how people have been able to do this for years. I have only been doing it for a year and a half. I am so depressed and tired. I don't dare tell her anything about my life as it is now because she will use it as fodder for her arsenal of verbal abuse. Two nights ago, she all of a sudden said. “Why, don't you turn me into the police?” I asked why. She said, “Because I knew your father was sexually abusing you and didn't do anything about it.” I was stunned. First because she has never admitted it to me, even though I have told her that my therapist back then said she suspected my mom knew. (She denied it always). And secondly, just when I thought she couldn't say anything worse to me than she does now, she hit me with that. I told her, I had no intention of turning her in , and never did. Plus, even if I did, the statute of limitations wouldn't let me for something so long ago. Now it does, but back then no. Amazing, she is simply amazing.
    My only form of exercise was using the swimming pool everyday, but I cannot use it now as they do not heat it during the winter. I still don't have a car, and can't possibly walk anywhere due to my knees, so I stopped that too. I am hoping by April of this year that I will be able to buy a used car. I have reverted back to my old habits and am using comfort food to make me feel better. I am now 14 lbs heavier from feeling good. :) I know I need to stop eating the junk. But I have no other thing that makes me happy right now. I am afraid if I stop eating I will lose my mind. Its all I have.
    Yes I still have my boyfriend, but we rarely get to see each other and he is always working to get himself financially under control so it's rare and in between when we see each other.
    So I decided to write here and take my first baby step back to normalcy if I can. I pray that I can. I don't want to gain all of my weight back. I don't want to feel like that anymore.
    Chiclet
  • ctalbot41
    ctalbot41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I gave up smoking in October last year, still on patches and mini mints,
    I am doing ok with a few slip-ups over christmas. I am doing well again with the no ciggies.

A change of diet now that Christmas is over, no more trifle and over eating ha ha.
    I need to lose a bit of the weight I have put on a few pounds with stopping smoking, lovely christmas choccies and all the other treats that go with the festive season.

So here goes for a slimmer me in the New Year.

All the Best to You All in the New Year.:bigsmile:
  • heathercdouglas
    Options
    Potatoes are complex carbs, contrary to an earlier statement.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I did a biggest loser challenge at Curves and did really well until Christmas....then gained it all back.

I just reset my starting weight a few minutes ago right before I saw this post!!! I felt this is a new year, new start and I should start with a clean slate.

We can do this!!! My Jan goal is to lose 10 lbs this month.

Hugs
    Bev
  • heathercdouglas
    Options
    Potatoes are complex carbs. They are very good for you.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Evening everyone, just a quick post before I go to bed :yawn: :yawn:

:flowerforyou: Chiclet I have been wondering where you've been. I'm so sorry you are having such a horrible time. Glad you are taking baby steps to take some control of your life by posting again. I hope it helps. Keep posting, we can't do much but send our support to you. I'm sure there must be somebody who's been in a similar situation who may be able to give you some good coping advice.

:flowerforyou: Robin what a little cutie your new puppy is - love the photo's. I'll have to try and upload some of our little kittens. Who will be going for the snip and spaying very soon! :noway:

:flowerforyou: Hello to all the newcomers I'm finding it a bit hard to keep up with you, but post here often and I'll soon get to know you. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:embarassed: I've lapsed a bit with eating too many sweet things, but I am trying to eat more veggies and cut down on the cakes/biscuits etc. I don't want to get any heavier because I've noticed my feet were hurting again, I don't want to get that plantar faciiatis back again - that was agony. So far it was only a twinge, so I'm taking that as a warning!

:flowerforyou: Barbie I've noticed my weight gain has coincided with me sitting too much. I'm sure that when I feel thinner, I move around more. When I am feeling heavy I'm like a sloth and hardly move. Moral in there somewhere, I need to move more and eat less!!

I'll say goodnight now I need to fill in my food journal before bed.

Take care

Viv
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    hello friends

welcome all newcomers....i just add a goal for january and thats to limit my computer time, so i will be on for 1hour in the mornings and 2 hours after 6(i started early today:blushing: )i need to really get my papers in order(file, shred or whatever) and just be a bit more active....i have been on hold with regards to my weigh loss so.... i was looking over my workouts, meals etc and i really need to work on my meals thats HAS to be the problem...my workouts for this week total a little over 10 hours and i burned(HRM) over 3300 calories.....so even though i was only over in my calories 1 day ....i need to re-think the foods i am eating....so i am backing to measuring and weighing my foods.....and i HAVE to watch my evening snack(which i can not it seems live without)...have a wonderful evening all:flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,:flowerforyou:

I know I haven't been on in months but I have checked in once in a great while to read posts. I even have debated to even write now, but I know I need to start logging my food again as this was a major key for me to lose weight. But honestly, (and I don't want this to turn into a sob story) I am simply not motivated and am physically and mentally exhausted. The holidays killed me trying to get people things they wanted and me trying to come up with financial miracles to get them. Financially, I am always one step behind, with no relief in sight. But that is nothing new.
    My mom has gotten worse. She has given up on walking or doing anything for that matter. The physical therapist, bather, and doctors are fed up with her and are not happy that she will not at least help them or I when we are doing things for her. I have turned into a walking zombie now when performing tasks like diaper changes, toilet transfers, medications, feeding, etc. I simply zone out. She is miserable and is having a hard time coming to the realization that she is turning more and more childlike. She has gotten meaner than before (if that's possible) and always brings up things from the past. She know exactly what buttons to push and it always ends up with us arguing and we basically can't stand each other now. I know that is a horrible thing to say and honestly I just don't know how people have been able to do this for years. I have only been doing it for a year and a half. I am so depressed and tired. I don't dare tell her anything about my life as it is now because she will use it as fodder for her arsenal of verbal abuse. Two nights ago, she all of a sudden said. “Why, don't you turn me into the police?” I asked why. She said, “Because I knew your father was sexually abusing you and didn't do anything about it.” I was stunned. First because she has never admitted it to me, even though I have told her that my therapist back then said she suspected my mom knew. (She denied it always). And secondly, just when I thought she couldn't say anything worse to me than she does now, she hit me with that. I told her, I had no intention of turning her in , and never did. Plus, even if I did, the statute of limitations wouldn't let me for something so long ago. Now it does, but back then no. Amazing, she is simply amazing.
    My only form of exercise was using the swimming pool everyday, but I cannot use it now as they do not heat it during the winter. I still don't have a car, and can't possibly walk anywhere due to my knees, so I stopped that too. I am hoping by April of this year that I will be able to buy a used car. I have reverted back to my old habits and am using comfort food to make me feel better. I am now 14 lbs heavier from feeling good. :) I know I need to stop eating the junk. But I have no other thing that makes me happy right now. I am afraid if I stop eating I will lose my mind. Its all I have.
    Yes I still have my boyfriend, but we rarely get to see each other and he is always working to get himself financially under control so it's rare and in between when we see each other.
    So I decided to write here and take my first baby step back to normalcy if I can. I pray that I can. I don't want to gain all of my weight back. I don't want to feel like that anymore.
    Chiclet

i am so sorry about your sitution....please try and take some time for yourself.....my mother had 4 children and she does not speak to any of us...THANKFULLY...when she did she was mean and always brings up stuff to hurt our feelings...take care i hope you start by taking small steps towards your wellbeing.....good luck
  • shmogo9
    shmogo9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    so just curious - how are you supposed to make up the remaining 368 calories in your day when all you have left in the list is Fat and Sodium :laugh:

I have to somehow increase the fat in my meals....it's not like I'm using fat free foods or anything......not sure what to do - any suggestions?

remaining
    368 0 16 -11 1,516 -20
    Calories Fiber Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Again, so many posts :noway:

Welcome to the Newcomers, you will love it here, lots of truly enlightened women, who can help you with anything :laugh:

There is talk going on about whether we should become a formal group; well, for my two cents' worth, I think we are already a "group" we don't need a designation to call it that, I don't think we need to change anything. I think if we changed the designation to a formal setting of group, I think we would lose the very integrity of what we are trying to accomplish here; we would lose the cohehesiveness (if that is a word??) that we seem to have formed with each other. Currently, we can come to this thread (group) and we can learn so much about each other, about what is going on in each other's lives from day to day, about who is having a good day, a bad day, who needs our encouragement, who has a new recipe to share, who has read a really good book, who is going on vacation, who is having surgery, who is becoming a new Gramma and so on. If we branch into a formal group, I think we will lose this, we will lose this closeness that I think we all have come to feel with each other. I don't know if you all feel that way, but I think I would miss this is we became a formal group. Someone earlier said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I tend to agree. I know it is a hodge podge of information, but that is part of what makes this Women Over 50 "group" so much fun and part of what keeps us all coming back day after day. I am not meaning to rant, My Friends, I just think that we are fine the way we are, we are a big "group" now and seems like we are getting bigger almost every day, but that is part of the charm of what we are and why we are here. I don't think we need to branch off and become a Group Designate, so long as Barbie is willing to carry us along when our posts become too much or at month end, I feel we should just carry on :drinker:

On that note, thanks again to those of you with the suggestions for my migraines I am going to speak with my doctor about a couple of them :wink:

Robin - Your new pup is too cute :smile:

Beth - Congrats - what a week you had :drinker:

Chiclet - As always, I am not sure how you manage to stay sane under your circumstances. I am glad, however, that your mother has finally acknowledged for you that she knew (you knew she knew but now you have confirmation that she knew) what was going on in your home. Little consolation I know, but still, small victories to be taken when you can get them. I wish there was some Social Service that you could call in to get you some respite time because you sound like need something. I hope you and your man can find more time together in the New Year, you need it :wink:

Anyway, Ladies, have a good evening. Take Care.

Love, Cathy xx
  • msh0530
    Options
    so just curious - how are you supposed to make up the remaining 368 calories in your day when all you have left in the list is Fat and Sodium :laugh:
    My first instinct? Guzzle some salted butter! :laugh:
    I have to somehow increase the fat in my meals....it's not like I'm using fat free foods or anything......not sure what to do - any suggestions?

remaining
    368 0 16 -11 1,516 -20
    Calories Fiber Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

My fat intake of choice is peanut butter, which (contrary to what seems to be popular belief) is actually good for you. Here is a link to the best explanation of the different kinds of fat that I have seen. Hope it helps!

http://www.webdietitians.org/ada/files/Hellmanns.pdf

Have fun eating peanut butter! :wink: Mary
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well I got in a 12 minute kinnex cardio boxing before school then after school I did day 4 of the 30 day shred, This evening I walked the dog and did about 20 more minutes of kinnex. Now to keep exercising all week.
  • msh0530
    Options
    The promised birthday list. As I said earlier, if you want added, just send me a message with your birthday! Mary

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    5 – csally01
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    25 – zuback55
    28 - genealace
    29 - ritamerlot

February:
    2 – doobiedoo
    7 – 2youngatheart
    7 - jeqrosen
    15 - anotheryearolder
    ? - SuzyQ

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    6 – jeanne3651
    7 - DebKRN
    8 – pmjsmom
    8 - deb_rn
    12 – glendaaus
    14 – cj1234cj23
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    21 – cjwil01
    25 – barbiecat
    30 – BirdieM
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    11 – kel7298
    14 - ildi59
    22 – sceck

May:
    2 – gracete
    2 – janemartin02
    4 – chicletgirl21
    5 – Debma1010
    6 - smwert
    13 – lovediets
    13 - jberberian
    20 – mimi7grands
    23 - debieanne
    25 – jam0525
    25 – wehavethestars
    25 - sissygok
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    3 - eotrg
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    23 - goldwingrider
    27 - Donna56
    30 - RebelRenny

July:
    3 - Iojoi
    7 – Lindaj07
    8 – BarbieCat1
    9 - yvonnemfp
    20 - TeresaSavage
    27 – mynyddisamrs
    31 - randylevy

August:
    7 – MacMadame
    15 - CathiAnne
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 – cherubcrnp
    27 - corqueen

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 – ItsTerriC
    22 - gloriaandison

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 - peepocheck
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    19 - Benson
    30 – SallyCC
    30 – topaz2986

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I tried to read a lot of the posts to get to know something about you. My head is spinning a bit at the moment!

So, a little about me... I signed up for MFP in March after seeing it mentioned in a women's magazine! I met my goal weight but added 5 pounds back over the holidays! I did not change my ticker to reflect the gain, but I will if the weight is there next week!

I have 2 dogs, a Shih tsu and a Cairn terrier that I adore.

I have an 8 month old grandson who lives 7 hours away from me, so I rarely get to see him :sad:

I am a nurse but I have a sit on my rear job now, which added to my weight gain!

I live in Central PA but my home will always be WV.

I am very fortunate to have a good friend who is on the "getting fit" journey with me. We work together and walk or go to the gym at lunch.

My biggest issues since losing some weight is flab.... I know I need to do some strength training but keep finding excuses not to do anything about it.

Please feel free to add me as a friend! I am so glad to have found this thread!

Debbie
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    how can I change my calorie goal to bmr?