50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    ESTHER, SO GLAD I CAME BACK ON AND FOUND YOUR POST. IT' S BEEN MUCH TOO LONG, EVERYONE MISSED YOU. WELCOME BACK. SO GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD TRIP. THAT TEMPERATURE WOULD HAVE SCARED ME INTO THE AIR CONDITIONING AND AWAY FROM ANY FESTIVITIES. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT ANY CATCHING UP. I WAS OFF A FEW DAYS AND I DID NOT EVEN TRY. LIKE WHEN WE GAIN A POUND OR TWO, JUST MOVE FORWARD.:laugh:

VICKI, IF THERE WERE GOLD STARS TO GIVE OUT,I WOULD GIVE YOU A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM.
    YOU DID GREAT WITH THE CAKE. YOU ARE NOW MY NEW IDOL. ALSO HAVING THE CHOCOLATES AND EATING ONLY 3 PER DAY IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT. I WOULD EAT THEM ALL. WHEN IT COMES TO CHOCOLATE, I HAVE NO DARN CONTROL.:grumble: CONGRATS TO YOUR DAUGHTER ON THE NEW JOB AND HOPE GRANDDAUGHTER WINS LOTS OF AWARDS. :smile:

HEATHER, I CAN RELATE TO SEEING THAT OLDER WOMAN AND PUSHING ON BECAUSE OF IT. I AM ALWAYS TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH MY 91 YEAR OLD FRIEND,(SHE IS AMAZING). SHE PUTS US "YOUNGSTERS" TO SHAME. GOOD LUCK TO YOUR DAUGHTER IN THE BOAT RACE. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BLISTER, THEY CAN HURT , REALLY , REALLY HURT. I WONDER WHY THE WEEKEND IS HARDER FOR YOU? IS IT THE EXTRA ACTIVITIES, MORE FUN AND TREATS ON THE WEEKEND?

:flowerforyou: ANNE:flowerforyou:
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone

Glad you are back Esther, we missed you:flowerforyou:

Vicki great job on your self control. Sure is empowering when we are in control. I feel the same way as you do about having a little fix of chocolate. I keep some extra dark chocolate in the house just so when I need a chocolate fix I have one of those squares and I am satisfied. I also enter in the data for the day because as they say "gotta keep it real":laugh: Keep up the great work:flowerforyou:

Anne as usuall thanks for another great quote. It's another keeper:flowerforyou:

Heather I am so proud of you on making it through with your walk. Isn't it so true how we think we have it so hard until we see someone else that is struggling worse than ourselves. I understand about the bandages, I wear so many bandages on different parts of my feet that I am sure that I own shares in the bandaid companies:laugh: Good for you making another plan to walk tomorrow:flowerforyou:

The weather today is again chilly and rainy so another day of exercise in the house for me, Yesterday I accomplished all the goals I had pledged and the scale was good to me again. When I was sick I had dropped quite a few pounds and then they snuck back on to me, so now the scale is moving in a downward pattern and I intend to keep it that way:bigsmile: Today I will again do a workout DVD, run on my treadmill and pedal my behind off on the stationary bike:smile:

On yesterday's Oprah show (it was a rerun) Bob and Jillian were on from the Biggest Loser (last years contestants) and one of the woman on spoke about how "we as woman always put everyone else before ourselves and at the end of the day we have nothing left for ourselves and are conditioned to think that we are selfish to put ourselves first". In the past this statement has resonated with me and I can honestly say that for the first time in my almost 52 years I am putting myself first and I don't apologize for it:blushing: My hope is that the wonderful women on this thread make themselves a priority:heart:

Hope everyone has a terrific day and you do something great for yourself.

:heart: Marie
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi again

Anne - I don't know what the problem is exactly I do know that during the week, I'm gone from home for 9.5-10 hrs and can only eat the healthy food I pack for myself. I guess it boils down to lack of willpower. Things are quite difficult in my life right now (like so many) and food is still my 'go-to' I do feel like I am coming along and the support and wisdom of people like you is priceless:heart:

Heather
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I to am finding it difficult to catch up on all the post. :angry: But, you all know I am with you all the way.

I am so excited. I believe I will have lost 2 lbs. this month. Yea. I know my goal was to lose 5 but I'm not worried. I will make it. Slow but sure. I feel great. After 1 year and 4 months on this site people are saying "you have lost a lot of weight". I am so grateful for this wonderful site.

Tomorrow I do believe I would have at least reached my goal for May.:bigsmile:

I was reading a post about how a doctor did not notice that this person lost at least 15 pounds since he last went. This was after the doctor had expressed he should. He was so sure the doctor would comment but did not. I felt the same way, when I went last week. I had to tell her that I had lost 10 pounds since I saw her last. I wish they would pay more attention when they do stress that we all should lose weight. Just my little gripe for the day.

:heart: Kathy
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Just got in from burning calories pushing the lawnmower. SO much more fun than walking on the treadmill :happy:

My scale didn't budge an inch this past week so I have until TOMORROW to lose another pound and meet my May goal. :grumble: I've been doing lots of yard work, so maybe I'm just converting fat to muscle. I hear that weighs more!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Esther, welcome back. I few of us missed your post about being gone and were wondering what happened to you. So glad that you are back.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I feel your chocolate addiction. I have it also. I have found that the dark chocolate isn't too bad for us. After a while of eating it the milk chocolate taste sickening sweet.

:flowerforyou: Marie, thanks for posting about putting ourselves first at times. I have a problem doing that when I get home from work with all intentions of going to the gym to find my kids needing all sorts of things done. And of course, I am the only one who can do these things. I need to remember that I have needs also.

:flowerforyou: Kathy, congratulations on losing two pounds. Remember that when it comes off slowly there is a better chance that it will stay off.

Please forgive any typos that may be here. I am out of contacts and I can only stretch my arms just so far.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Please forgive any typos that may be here. I am out of contacts and I can only stretch my arms just so far.
    Boy, do I understand that comment. Not the contacts - but the arms are not long enough:laugh:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Susan I read your blog about cutting the grass and went out and mowed mine. It burns so many calories and I love doing it. Thanks for motivation.
    Vicki
  • pirjo1955
    pirjo1955 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    May a new member jump in ?

Hi Ladies !

My name is Pirjo, (rhymes with cheerio), :happy: I live in Sudbury, ON, Canada, (the nickel capital of the world) , and I am a 53 year old single mom.

I found My Fitness Pal on Wed. of this week, and joined up the same afternoon. Back in 2000, I had joined Weight Watchers, and did well, (even with all my "cheating" - I'm practical - we only live once ! ) , and had lost over 50 lbs. (I never did reach my goal.) Over the years, it has gradually come back, plus a bit more. My skinny co-workers (esp. my boss) has been on my back for a couple of years now, to lose the weight, but I have not been ready to commit myself. (Too much going on - working a combination of 3 jobs, being the sole support for our household, being a caregiver, losing my partner, and now being a caregiver for my brother, who has become disabled.)

However - last weekend, I went to try on clothes, and was looking at trying size 18W pants. Had to try on the 20W, which were just a bit too tight, and would not do up. And of course, they had sold out of the bigger sizes. They were at a factory outlet, and only $3.95 a pair, so I was very disappointed. When I told my son and his girlfriend the next day, my sensible 23 year old son said "They call that incentive." And that got me thinking.

Monday, I began journalling what I ate. Tuesday , I went back to the factory outlet, and bought 2 pairs of size 20W pants. Wednesday, I joined My Fitness Pal. And today, I told a co-worker, who had also not been going to WW, and had put weight back on, about this site. It seems that I am finally ready to begin this weight loss journey again, and get my life, and my health, and my body, back in order again!

So - we have 2 days left in May - and my goals for May are -

to get back on track ! With 82 pounds to go, this is going to be long, slow journey ! I may just be around for a long time.... :smile:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Welcome pirjo1955. This is a great site. The ladies on this blog are awesome. We talk nearly every day about anything and everything and we keep each other on track. You will love it. Just keep coming on as often as you can and you will find it very motivating. You have taken the right step by getting started and joining mfp. Keep it up.
    Vicki
  • pirjo1955
    Options
    WOW ! You are QUICK !

Thanks so much, Vickie !

I noticed as I read through some of the posts, that the Ladies are very friendly, and seem to care about each other. (I have not yet introduced myself on the main board, but felt comfortable doing so on here.)

I just clicked on your pic, and want to say "Happy Belated Birthday ! ", and I hope you had a fantastic time at your daughter's graduation !

And I also hope that this tropical storm, (and the whole upcoming season of hurricanes and tropical storms) stays well away from shore ! I've never been in the States, but my brother loves the South ! None of us want another Katrina ....

Have a great weekend -

Pirjo
  • pirjo1955
    Options
    BTW , Vickie -

It looks like our goals are pretty similar -

I am starting at 237, and my ultimate goal weight - if I don't change it along the way - is 155 lbs.

(I'm realistic - I just want to be healthier. " Ideal weight" charts say that at 5'3", I should be 130 - 135 lbs. If I was not that weight in high school I won't be that weight at age 53 ! )

:ohwell: Pirjo
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pirjo:flowerforyou:

Best wishes as you begin your new journey to a new you. Finding this site in early Nov of 08 has certainly been a helping force for me. I always look forward to reading how everyone on this thread is doing. The members continue to inspire, encourage and motivate me on a daily basis and I feel blessed to have their support. Drinking lots of water, keeping within my calorie requirements and increasing my exercising has helped me to be successful.

Check in with us often, we are always glad to hear from everyone. Cheers to you:drinker:

Marie:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    Greetings from the beautiful, sunny northwest USA. It would have been a perfect day to pull weeds but there was line dance class in the morning and a line dance party in the afternoon, but I’m sure the weeds will still be there waiting for me tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I can’t figure out whether I’m a night owl or an early bird. When I’m obsessed with a project I have energy that keeps me up til it’s done, then I wake up at dawn (4:30 AM here right now) and start all over. Later in the day with the TV on or at a meeting, I’ll doze off. Last night we were up past eleven when we remembered that the motorhome had to be at repair place at 8AM to get the air conditioner checked which meant that we had to be up by 5:30, so it was a short night’s sleep.

:flowerforyou: Becky, you asked me awhile ago how to keep a pedometer from resetting. The new one that Jake ordered came this week and it’s designed to carry in your pocket and it resets automatically at midnight and remembers how many steps you took just like the pedometer in my cell phone. All the pedometers I had before could be accidentally reset just by bumping into something. They also hooked on your belt or waistband and were easy to lose. I know, because I lost all of them.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Anne----when I get focused on getting something done, nothing can stop me. Doing laundry and sorting the mail haunt me until I get them done. Once again, you have outdone yourself with that great quote about the excess baggage.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Vicki, congratulations to your daughter on getting a teaching job. What will she be teaching? Congratulations to you on not going crazy eating the whole brownie cake.

:flowerforyou: Esther, welcome back. How wonderful that you got to go to Yosemite. We all missed you. Too bad you had to deal with such hot weather. We had the opposite on our trip----cold ocean winds and temperatures in the 40’s and 50’s.

:flowerforyou: Heather---I want to make daily goals like you do starting with drinking more water. You did great with your walk especially getting some motivation from someone who doesn’t even know how much she helped you.

:flowerforyou: Marie—you are so right about making yourself a priority. That’s something I have to keep working toward. Thanks for reminding me.

:flowerforyou: Kathy----as long as you are losing weight, you’re doing something right. Everybody says that weight loss slows down as you get closer to your goal. You have been an inspiration for me. Congratulations on losing 2 pounds.

:flowerforyou: Susan---I’m thinking positive thoughts about your scale giving you good news tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Pirjo, welcome to the group. I hope you’ll check in with us a lot. My experience in starting this journey was sudden, too. One day I figured I’d always be fat and the next day I decided to take the first step. MFP has provided me with the tools and the friends to help me with the journey. My friends that I see every day don’t want to hear about what I eat, how I exercise, how good it feels to say no to birthday cake, or how it feels to have my clothes fit better, but all my friends on this thread want to hear that stuff and they celebrate with me. Remember that the longest journey starts with a single step.

There was a lot of food at the line dance party this afternoon and very little of it looked like anything that fit into my “clean eating” lifestyle. I ate a light lunch before I went and had dinner planned for when I got home so I decided to just drink water and not eat anything at the party. One woman commented on my great “will power” and I just smiled and said “thank you”. I danced a lot and talked to a lot of people. Dinner at home was turkey and veggie stir fry and salad. We had a ton of food for less than 400 calories.

big hugs to all :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Welcome pirjo. You have found the right thread. And, remember to tell your son thanks for the positive comment that got you going! Kids do that sometimes. Glad you found us and hope you'll return often.
    Esther
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    GOOD MORNING ALL MY FITNESS PALS,:flowerforyou:

WHAT GREAT POSTS TO WAKE UP TO. YOU GUYS START MY DAY OFF RIGHT.:flowerforyou: THANKS A MILLION.:heart:

MARIE, YOU ARE DOING SO GREAT IN KEEPING TO YOUR DAILY GOALS.:flowerforyou: I SAW OPRAH AND THAT WOMAN SPOKE FOR EVERYONE WHEN SHE DESCRIBED HOW WE HAVE "NOTHING LEFT FOR OURSELVES" AT THE END OF THE DAY. SO TRUE. WE CAN AND SHOULD CHANGE THAT.

HEATHER, EMOTIONAL EATING IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS WE CAN'T KEEP WEIGHT OFF. IT'S SUCH A HARD HABIT TO BREAK. GLAD YOU FEEL YOU ARE COMING ALONG IN THAT AREA:heart:
    I TOO STILL FIGHT TO REMEMBER THAT FOOD WON'T CHANGE A THING. I WILL JUST FEEL WORSE KNOWING I OVERATE. :explode: I KEEP REPEATING TO MYSELF THAT FOOD WON'T MAKE IT BETTER IT WILL JUST MAKE ME FAT.

KATHY, WONDERFUL TO HEAR YOU HAVE LOST 2LBS.:flowerforyou: WHAT A PLUS THAT PEOPLE ARE NOTICING. IF DOCTORS DON'T NOTICE YOUR LOSS, AT LEAST THEY SHOULD BE READING THEIR RECORDS AND SEE IT IN PRINT. THEN, THEY SHOULD COMMENT AND ENCOURAGE PEOPLE. BED SIDE MANNER IS PRETTY MUCH GONE.:angry:

WELCOME, PIRJO, YOU SAID A VERY IMPORTANT THING - "I AM FINALLY READY TO BEGIN THIS WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY". MANY CAN TELL YOU TO LOSE WEIGHT, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE READY AND WANT IT BADLY ENOUGH. YOUR SMART SON PLANTED A SEED, NOW YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT GROW. YOU CAN DO IT. THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO COME FOR SUPPORT. WISH YOU THE BEST.

BARBIE, YOU KNOW HOW TO PRIORITIZE. ENJOY LIFE FIRST. WEEDS CAN WAIT. NOT EATING ANYTHING AT THE DANCE IS ANOTHER TRIUMPH. EACH TIME WE SAY NO TO UNHEALTHY FOODS, WE GET STRONGER AND STRONGER. :flowerforyou:

GOING FOR MY DAILY WALK NOW. :smile:

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY MY FRIENDS.

:heart: ANNE :heart:
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hello and good morning to everyone. i haven't had a chance to read i am going to have my water breaks and will catch up today i promise myself to give me my me time. yesterday i was busy for everyone else .. i forget me a lot and i know i can not do that. i went back up in weight. last night i ate after nine. ugh. everytime i took a bit i knew it to.. will i am going to set up my tag/craft sale the next to days so i will be moving a lot with that.. everyone have a blessed morning love debbie and family:flowerforyou:
  • zanniew
    zanniew Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey, gang. I've returned to MFP after a long hiatus. Lost 15 pounds here last summer, but bungee-jumped it right back on. Not the first time I've done that. Really need to drop about 16-20 lbs.

One month ago, had major cancer surgery: double mastectomy & reconstruction. Feeling better every day, but the task of being cancer-free absolutely includes losing that estrogen-producing fat, and keeping it off. Luckily, I won't need chemo or radiation. (No emoticon could express how relieved THAT makes me feel.)

So: I like your-all's goals: 4 pounds in 4 weeks, 30 minutes of exercise daily. I'm on board for that!

More later: Z
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hi everyone - sorry i've been so out of touch! I'm still here and reading everyone's posts - just not managing to get one in myself! It seems like there's even MORE to do now - with my house, and now the weeds are coming on strong!

Sounds like everyone is doing great - Kathy - good for you for losing another 2 pounds! I don't seem to be able to do much more than move up and down a pound or two..........:grumble: still working on the last 5 pounds. Oh well........

Welcome to Pirjo (thank you for telling us how to pronounce your very cool name!). I really like the comment your son made to you! To the point without being hurtful! Good kid!

And also welcome Z!

Hi everyone else - ZaZa, Swiss, Susan, Anne, Momof10, Esther, Barbie........i'm sorry i'm forgetting some of you - but i need to get up and get to work!

Have a great weekend!!!!!!!:heart: elli :drinker:
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pirjo:heart:

Today is going to be a good day:happy: The sun is shining and I checked my garden last night and all of my hard work last week is paying off - the sweet corn, okra, beans, peas, squash, zuchinni, cucumbers are all up and growing:happy: :happy: I don't have to re-plant again. :bigsmile: Some of my tomatoes are blooming and some of my pepper plants have little peppers on them:happy: :happy: Can't wait to have fresh vegetables. I should have lettuce, radishes and green onions ready to eat in another week or so. Can't wait:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

The ground is still a little wet, but I'm going to plant the rest of the tomatoes today (100 plants) and maybe if I don't bury up to my knees plant the pea patch:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Today will be an exercise day for sure:bigsmile: and I'm sure with the heat a big water day:drinker: :drinker:

Wishing everyone a great day!

Nancy