50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hello to Everyone,

I have been reading but not posting.

I should be pleased that I was able to buy some summer clothes in a smaller size and that I lost whatever might have reappeared as a result of Memorial Day festivities and went down another lb. besides. I have also had a friend who hadn't seen me in a few weeks comment on the fact that I look smaller. She is a female friend who knew what I had been up to, but she told me I had inspired her to try again, and so far SHE has lost 5 lbs.

On a certain level, these things are gratifying, but my perspective is a bit off track at this time. Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call from my ex-husband informing me that his mother had died.

We were close during the 14 years I was married to her son, and had stayed in touch. Most recently she was in a rehab center recovering from a fall, and the last report I had from my ex was that she was progressing well and other than an increased tendency toward forgetfullness, was ok and should be back in her apartment at the assisted living facility in a few more weeks. Her condition declined over a period of about 10 days, and he didn't get around to letting me know until after the fact.

On a logical level, I don't think it was an intentional omission. My ex has two siblings, but he has been the primary coordinator of care for his mother since she got to a point whre she needed assistance. Another part of me is very upset that I didn't get a chance to see her. The arrangements where she was staying were such that she couldn't talk on the phone, and it was far enough away that a casual trip was not practical. If I had any idea of what was going on, I could have seen her one last time.

She and my late former father in law were good friends of my parents long before her son and I were married, so I had the difficult task of telling them about this yesterday afternoon.

I am thankful I have the weekend to adjust to things because I would not be much good to anyone at work right now.

She was 92 years old. Originally from New York City, she migrated to the west coast in the 40's when her husband was recruited by Kaiser Shipyards during WWII to work in the engineering on liberty ships. There is a picture of her among the family photos, with champaigne bottle in hand, christening a ship. She always put her family first and doted on her husband, who died in 1997. She had a great sense of humor, and on birthdays and other special occasions you could count on receiving a card decorated with some appropriate cartoon or picture she had found that always was just right for the recipient.

She used to refer to my late Shih tzu, Dreyfus, (the dog on the right in my ticker picture) as her "grandson." None of her 3 children every had any kids of their own, so she doted on the 4 footed ones in the family. One Christmas, she ordered a little yellow raincoat from a pet supply catelog and had Dreyfus's name embroidered on it. She was one of a kind.:heart:

I will keep reading, but you may not hear much from me over the next few days. I have not walked all week due to my recovering from my bicycle crash of last Sunday. I had planned to walk on Friday, but dealing with this news changed that. It is supposed to be in the mid 80's here today, so I will have to wait til evening now as it is already above 70 and its before noon here.

Welcome to the newcomers who have posted, and everyone keep up their motivation and don't forget to put yourselves first.

Barb
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Barb: It sounds like your former mother-in-law was a great woman. She has definitely effected a lot of lives with her love for life. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up for not visiting her prior to her passing. I hadn't heard about your bicycle accident. I hope all of you is healing physically!

I have just finished working 2 1/2 hours in our yard; weeding, edging our yard and then edging my neighbors (who hasn't had hers edged for 2 years!!!!!!) I'm done for the day outside (I think ;-)

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Summer is around the corner!

Esther
  • Grammymax
    Hey, gang. I've returned to MFP after a long hiatus. Lost 15 pounds here last summer, but bungee-jumped it right back on. Not the first time I've done that. Really need to drop about 16-20 lbs.

One month ago, had major cancer surgery: double mastectomy & reconstruction. Feeling better every day, but the task of being cancer-free absolutely includes losing that estrogen-producing fat, and keeping it off. Luckily, I won't need chemo or radiation. (No emoticon could express how relieved THAT makes me feel.)

So: I like your-all's goals: 4 pounds in 4 weeks, 30 minutes of exercise daily. I'm on board for that!

More later: Z

Welcome back. This is a great place to visit. Everyone is so encouraging.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Barb, everyone grieves in a different way. Take the time you need. I'm sure you know that you will feel better in time. Your ex mother in law sounds like a wonderful thoughtful woman. You were blessed to have her in your life and that she continued to be part of your life even when her son was not part of it.

We took the girls to the dog park today and I thought of you and your doggies.

Big hugs,:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Barb, I am sorry to hear about your former mother-in-law. I also want to say that I think it wonderful that you kept a good relationship with her.

Today my girls had their dress rehearsal for ballet. At the same time my step daughter graduated high school. I had to choose and decided to go with my girls. Afterwards I met up with my husband and his four children to take them to lunch. Here is where I got my shock. The boy ate well. A rather high calorie meal but he is thin. The three girls, however are heavy. Two of them actually obese. One of them ordered a large skill breakfast and French fries. She had four pieces of blueberry bread to go along with it. Another daughter ordered a fried chicken platter and asked for a double order of fries instead of the cole slaw. The third one had a double cheeseburger, fries and four dinner rolls. I do not know how they can eat so much. One of them even took three more dinner rolls home with her.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Hi everyone

Welcome zanniew:flowerforyou: and best wishes to you.

I had a fantastic day yesterday. Did a heavy duty workout with my Biggest Loser Bootcamp DVD (55 minutes:smile: Later the rainy weather disappeared so I quickly jumped on my bike and had an hour long ride. I was so invigorated from my bike ride that I went for a brisk hour long walk:happy: On my last excursion I met up with three women and they all commented on how great I looked:blushing: Well I could have walked on air from that moment on:happy: I sure got my exercise quota in for the day and a boost to my self-esteem:bigsmile: Spring has finally sprung here, the birds are gloriously singing and the air has a heavenly scent from the flowering lilac and apple trees. Life is great:heart:

This morning I met up with one of my dearest friends and attended a Mind, Body and Soul Health Show. We went for breakfast first and then spent the next couple of hours checking out all the different products and services available to become pro-active in your own personal healthcare. Some of the info wasn't new to me but some was. I enjoy discovering new ways to improve my health and wellbeing. All in all it was a wonderful outing and I was so happy I had gone.

The sun is shining at present so I am off for a bike ride especially since I just discovered that the weather for the next two days is rain. Any day that I can outside to exercise makes me appreciate that I do not have to use a treadmill or stationary bike:happy: My DH has promised to join me for a walk later and that is an offer that I cannot refuse:love:

Take care everyone and cheers to all:drinker:

Marie:heart:
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    good grief Marie! I GUESS you got your exercise in today! That's AWESOME! I love it when i have those high energy work out days!:happy:

Barb - so sorry about your ex mil:cry: Give yourself all the time you need.

Becky - wow! sounds like those girls really pack away the food. I feel sad for them. Maybe they will see how great you're doing and looking and follow your example. I hope so:indifferent:

I didn't make it to the gym again, mostly because i didn't have time. I started working outside at 8:00 this morning, took an hour break for lunch, went back outside and then the last hour over in the house. i didn't get done 'till 6:30 and i was hungry, beat and FILTHY! I mowed, weed ate, burned tumbleweeds and trimmed some tree branches and hauled them to the dumpster. I FEEL like i worked off a bunch of calories..........:tongue:

Hope everyone had a great day. Happy Sunday in the morning!
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Good morning-
    I'd like to add my welcome to pirjo1955 and zanniew. :flowerforyou: This is such a great thread and an absolutely lovely group of women. zanniew, I hope you recover well and quickly.

Esther, welcome home! :flowerforyou: We missed you.

Barb, I was so sorry to hear about your former mil. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    Take the time you need to grieve and celebrate her.

Elli, I am exhasuted just from reading about how you spent your day.
    I went to my first Zumba class yesterday and that wiped me out for the while day! I'm not kidding - my face was so red it was practically purple and I had a headache all day. But, I loved the class and will go back for more. I guess I'll just have to tone it down - and not keep up so vigorously. But, I love the latin music and moves. In my own mind, I'm not 55.:laugh:

I have to get going. I want to grill some chicken breasts to take to my middle son in NYC when we go in later today to see some open houses with my oldest son. The oldest one would like to take advantage of the $8000 tax credit for first-time home buyers, but, even with the lower prices and interest rates, he really can't afford anything. We'll see. The middle one just wants food ready to eat when he gets home from work. So, I went to Costco yesterdya and got him some supplies and said I would grill the chicken so bye for now.

Have a good day all.
    Zaza
  • BLESSED SUNDAY MORNING ALL,:flowerforyou:

Z. I AM RELATIVELY NEW SO I DON'T KNOW YOU. WELCOME BACK. I AM VERY GLAD YOU ARE FEELING BETTER EVERY DAY. WISH YOU THE BEST WITH YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS AND CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH.

HI ELLI, GLAD YOU ARE OK. THE LAST POUNDS ARE THE HARDEST TO LOSE, THAT'S FOR SURE. ALL THE WORK YOU ARE DOING ON THE HOUSE, YOU WOULD THINK THAT ALONE WOULD MELT THOSE POUNDS OFF. I HOPE WHEN THE HOUSE IS COMPLETED, WE WILL GET TO SEE A PICTURE.
    KEEP ON GOING ELLI. ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU WILL BE AT GOAL. :drinker:

NANCY, OH GOSH! YOUR VEGETABLE GARDEN SOUNDS WONDERFUL. YESTERDAY MY FRIEND AND I WENT TO A GREAT PRODUCE PLACE. EVERYTHING WAS FRESH FROM THE FARM. I HAD A BALL. IT WAS LIKE GOING TO THE CANDY STORE AS A CHILD. I AM SO SICK OF THE SUPERMARKET PRODUCE. THE VEGGIES HAVE NO TASTE COMPARED TO THE FARMS. IT SURE MAKES STICKING TO A GOOD EATING PLAN EASIER IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THE FRUITS AND VEGGIES.:happy:

BARB, SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR FORMER MOTHER IN LAW. I KNOW IT IS HARD THAT YOU DID NOT GET TO SEE HER ONE LAST TIME. WRITE US WHEN YOU ARE UP TO IT. YOU HAVE DONE SO WELL WITH YOUR EATING AND EXERCISE.:flowerforyou: IT IS NO WONDER YOU HAVE INSPIRED YOUR FRIEND. TAKE CARE.:heart:

BECKY, I DON'T KNOW HOW OFTEN YOU SEE THOSE GIRLS, BUT THEY CAN BE INSPIRED BY YOU AND HOW YOU EAT. I FEEL SORRY FOR ANYONE WHO PUTS FOOD IN FRONT OF THEIR OWN HEALTH AND HAPPINESS. WHO KNOWS, MAYBE THEY WILL WAKE UP AND REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THEMSELVES. I HOPE SO. WE ALL HAVE THAT WAKE UP MOMENT AND THEN THINGS CAN REALLY TURN AROUND. :smile:

MARIE, ONCE AGAIN I HAVE TO SAY HOW GREAT YOU ARE DOING.:flowerforyou: I LOVE YOUR UPLIFTING POSTS. WHAT A GOOD ATTITUDE YOU HAVE. THEY ALWAYS SAY, LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.
    THE COMPLIMENTS ARE NICE TO RECEIVE AREN'T THEY? YOU DESERVE EVERY ONE OF THEM.

ENJOY THE DAY GIRLS, ENJOY LIFE,
    :heart: ANNE
  • WELL I FORGOT IT IS MAY 31ST. I DID NOT MEET MY GOAL FOR MAY. I WANTED TO LOSE 4LBS. I LOST 3 AND THEN THE DREADED MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND AND MY BIRTHDAY CAME ALONG.
    I DISAPPOINTED MYSELF IN NOT HANDLING IT ALL MUCH BETTER,BUT DECIDED TO FORGIVE MYSELF AND MOVE FORWARD TO MY GOAL. I STAYED THE SAME FOR MAY. I DID REACH MY GOAL OF DOING A LITTLE MORE WALKING AND INCREASING MY EXERCISE AT HOME.
    NEW GOAL FOR JUNE:

JOIN PLANET FITNESS
    LOSE 4 LBS
    DRINK ALL OF MY WATER

I PROMISE TO "NEVER GIVE UP"
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Here it is May 31 and time to reflect on my goals for the month.

:flowerforyou: lose 4 pounds
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I did this and am thrilled because I had no idea that I could lose weight while traveling

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: walk 10,000 steps a day---I think I did that every day except two----some days I had to go out in front of the motorhome and walk back and forth until I reached my goal

:sad: yoga in the motorhome---I think I did this about 4 days on the trip----it's a goal that's achievable but I have to change my thinking to make work

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    my goals for June:

:love: lose 4 pounds

:love: yoga in the motorhome

:love: drink all my water

I look forward to hearing about how all of you have done with your goals for May and what your plans are for June.

Happy Sunday
    Big hugs, :love: :love:
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, four pounds lost..that is great. Do you have a special secret?

:flowerforyou: Anne, three pounds is nothing to sneeze at. You did great. I am not doing so well. I am losing but soooo slowly.

As to my steps...I am the step-mother so I am not going to hold much weight in their lives. All his girls are so opposite of me. Most of their conversation over lunch was how HORRIBLE babies are. Messy, terrible, smelly brats. I have had eight of them so I certainly didn't contribute to their talk. Actually, I suspect that they express their opinions of this for my benefit. :angry: No sense if telling them that they were once babies themselves.

I didn't get to the YMCA in time yesterday. So, my husband and I took the dog for a mile walk.
  • Swissmiss
    Can anyone explain to me why when I watched my diet carefully, started exercising again and began to walk more that I would gain 1 and 1/2 pounds?
  • elli
    ZaZa - what is Zumba? It sounds like a blast! And feeling younger than we are gives us SUCH a boost! It sounds like some kind of dancing? Good luck with the house hunting - my Dad lives on Long Island and is always remarking on the ridiculous house prices out there. My bro lives in NJ but has a teeny apartment around Broadway and........i don't know close to Central Park........169th? 69th? I was there once about 4 years ago. I know it cost them dearly!

Anne - thank you for the pep talk! And you did awesome losing 3 pounds!!!!!!! I know what you mean about the fresh fruit and vegetables. This is the first year in over 20 that i didn't put in a big veg garden - mostly flowers - last year i did flowers for the first time and they required so much LESS maintenance plus attracted humminbgirds! So this year with the house and all i decided to do MORE flowers, less vegetables. We have a local farmers market once a week - lucky for me i can get great stuff there! It's SO much better than the grocery store!

Aw Swiss - you're probably gaining muscle. Just keep going - like Anne was telling me - these last few pounds are the hardest to lose. We'll get there yet ok? Too BAD for those girls that they won't let you be a roll model. It's their loss for sure. And babies are the BEST! I've been fortunate in my life to have lots of babies around..........now i'm so looking forward to the grand babies!

Barbie - you go girl.....you just simply amaze me!!!!! You are truly running towards that goal!

When i walked around my place this morning i found some spots that i missed the the weed eater and the mower so i'm back out to do that. Then into the house to get ready for primering (before texture on Tues.!) tomorrow! Woohoooooo! If anyone wants to look there's a blog - it's:
    ellisnewhouse.blogspot.com
    Happy Sunday everyone!
  • barbiecat
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
    Becky, you are so close to your goal that losing is harder. Right now I'm losing pounds that are truly excess. My BMi still says that I am overweight even though I'm wearing size 10 jeans and small or medium shirts. My friends who have only known me 35 pounds heavier than this tell me that I'm just right now and are astonished that I think I have more weight to lose. I can see and feel the fat and flabby spots so I know that I will keep on going. I learn from you and the others who are fighting with the last 5-10 pounds that it won't always be this easy. In March when my BMI said that I was obese, I was losing three pounds a week. The only thing that I know for sure that I'm doing right is making sure that every calorie I consume is healthy and nutrition dense. I have an Isagenix protein shake as a meal replacement once or twice a day and so far haven't tried to eat very many of my exercise calories. I stay between 1200-1400 calories no matter how much I exercise. As far as I'm concerned, this weight loss is as much a miracle as it is the result of good behavior. Elli and Anne are right to say just keep going with this. Even when you're not losing you're maintaining a lean and healthy body----even if it's not as lean as you want. Sometimes when I'm in a group of people I look around and realize that I'm in the thinner group and I feel better about myself.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I admire you for how you've bounced back from the surgery and haven't given up even though the results aren't what you had hoped for. When you reach your goal, please stick around and encourage the rest of us and we'll encourage you do stay with your good habits.

Anne---as long as you keep inspiring all of us, the inspiration will rub off on you. You have made enormous progress. June will be an even better month when you join Planet Fitness and start to sculpt and tone your thinner body.

I have been writing my weight on my wall calendar on weigh in day. This morning I had to look back on the calendar to find the date of something a few months back and as I looked at the weights, I realized how far I had come. My tunnel vision sees only today's weight and my goal so I am always "falling short". When I looked at my weights in the last few months I could feel the progress.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Elli----I am thinking good thoughts about you losing your last five pounds. I hope you won't leave MFP when you reach your goal. The rest of us with a long way to go would miss you, your encouragement, your house remodeling, and your amazing positive spirit.

Zaza---a line dance friend of mine who is 79 years old just started taking a Zumba class. She said it would be good for keeping her waist trim. Good luck with the house hunting in New York. Is it in the city? My cousin lives in studio apartment condo near Carnegie Hall that was recently appraised at about $600,000.

Jake has a friend coming over for private "boy talk" this morning so I'm going to take the dogs to the dog park and then to the motor home to start getting it ready for our next trip.

Big hugs to all :love: :love:
    Barbie
  • Grammymax
    Becky - ditto what Barbie said! Also, are you eating enough calories for the calories you are burning an:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: drink that water!

Barbie - you are the "size" I want to be but I didn't reach my goal this month. I wish I had your determination and commitment. I was totally NOT in control of what was available to eat while on vacation and since I was without a vehicle I couldn't go out and get the food I needed for me. I'll know better next time! Where are you going next in our motor home?

End of MAY!!!! Wow. Guess I better remember to start a new thread tomorrow morning - maybe late tonight instead! That works better for you gals who are on the East coast! Tomorrow we can list our goals for June again and I'm going to print mine out. I might even steal some of yours :laugh:

I tried to go back a page to read others from this morning but I don't know whether it's my computer or the website but I can't go to any other page on this thread!:grumble: Anyway, hope you all have a great day and tomorrow is a new month with new successes!

Esther
  • Swissmiss
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, I could just cry.:cry: Not for a bad reason but because you have made me feel so good. I am so blessed to be in this group. You have encouraged me tremendously.:bigsmile: My goal is to reach 145 pounds. Any chart will say that I should weigh less. I was at 139 about ten years ago and I truly looked like I had been ill. I am not tall...5 ft 5 or maybe a fraction of an inch shorter so I don't know why I looked bad at 139. That is the reason the I have set the goal of 145. Even though the charts say differently.

:flowerforyou: elli, from what I gather Zumba is sort of like a Latin dance. My daughter took one lesson and then quit. She felt uncomfortable with all the strange ladies there. I should have gone with her. I have, however, just this morning looked in the YMCA brochure and found that they offer it. I can take the class for free and am planning on doing this when the summer session begins on June 22.
  • mjmontgo
    mjmontgo Posts: 7
    My goal for May was to lose something -- ANYTHING! :laugh: And I did! I lost about 7 lbs in May, for a total of 14 lbs since April 6th. Just 64 more lbs to go! I'm just thrilled, and feel better than I have in years.

But you're right, I need to get more specific in my goal-setting, so for June, I'm going to commit to the following:

Lose at least 8 lbs
    Drink my Slim-Fast shakes for breakfast and lunch :drinker: , and cut my daily caloric intake down from 1,450 to 1,200
    Walk for at least 30 min, 3 x per week
    Walk in place each evening (exercising the arms too) for at least 10 minutes

Let's see if I can do this! Hope you are all doing great, and would love to hear from you on a one-on-one basis! With 64 more lbs to lose, I'm going to be around this board for a LONG while :drinker:

Marilyn :)
  • mjmontgo
    mjmontgo Posts: 7
    Hi Cheryl!

Just read your note about your move to WA, and I can certainly relate! I am 56, twice divorced with no kids. I was born and raised in CA and lived all up and down the state before moving to AZ in 1994, and fell in love with the Phoenix area right away. My folks moved from CA to join me in AZ in 2003. They quickly fell in love with AZ too.

But in Aug of 2007, we moved from AZ to GA to be closer to my only sibling and his children and grand-children, because he is seriously ill. Unfortunately, we're still experiencing a lot of homesickness for CA and AZ both. I'm convinced it's because of the tumultuous time we've had ever since the move, including the death of my Dad, my Mom getting cancer and then breaking her leg, my brother's on-going health issues, his mother-in-law (who lives with them) falling twice and breaking her pelvis each time, and the fact that I was traveling 100% of the time with my job (coming on the weekends only to do my laundry, re-pack, and go again).

2008 was a terrible year for us all.

But now Mom is doing much better, and I was transferred to another division in my employer's company that allows me to work from home, so we feel really blessed. I'm hoping that we can finally begin to make some friends here and actually finish unpacking, and start to feel settled. We've already met some lovely neighbors on our street, so we just have to make the effort to "get out there" and mingle more! And now that I'm home full-time, I decided it was time to take off about 75 lbs. So on April 6th, I started a food and exercise plan, and have lost 14 lbs so far.

Let me know if you find any sure-fire ways to meet people in your area and lose some of that homesickness! I have to get over mine, that's for sure!

Stay in touch!

Marilyn :smile:
  • elli
    Becky - you'll have to tell me about that zumba when you start taking it! That's cool you can do stuff like that for free at the Y. I LOVE to dance, i think it would be a kick to take some kind of dance class - my gym doesn't have classes at all.

No worries Barbie - WHEN i get to my goal i plan on staying here! It seems like right now i've got maintenance figured out pretty well :tongue: i'm just not THERE yet!:laugh: You are doing SO great! When is your next trip and where will you be headed this time?????

Marilyn - i sure hope 2009 is a better year for you and your family. MAN - talk about challanges!

I"m sure glad i got all my mowing, weed eating and burning done this morning 'cause now it's raining! I need to go work in the house but they're sanding the walls and it's way too dusty in there! Tomorrow we're scheduled for primer before texture on Tuesday! moving right along:happy: :happy: :happy:

Talk to you all tomorrow i hope - it could be a busy day! :drinker: elli
This discussion has been closed.