Teacher Criticisms...(rant)

Options

Replies

• FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love that so many teachers a responding during the school day (as am I). My kids are in an elective right now and I am finishing lunch. I just hope for the rep of teachers everywhere that there are other good reasons why so many teachers can take time from their day to access MFP!!! :P
    UK teacher - 19.31 here!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    So my suggestion would be to pay actual "here for the kids" teachers more, a lot more, like tons more, and weed out all the teachers that chose the profession for the summer vacations, because the bad ones always end up giving the good ones a bad name, no matter what proffesion you're in. And Kudos to all the teachers that are worth their weight in gold.

AGREED!!!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    First off, I am a teacher.

I teach in a community/technological college. I see the product of the American education system and all I can say is that if I worked on a production line and put out that kind of a product, I would be fired.

I enjoy teaching older students because they recognize the value of spelling and grammar as well as making a study schedule. They work hard and expect a lot from themselves.

The younger group, for the most part, have no clue what a study schedule is, expect to not have homework, can't spell, have no concept of capitalizing the first word of a sentence or using punctuation, and can't do simple math without a calculator. Additionally, they have no research skills, believe any of the Wiki sites are suitable for research papers, copy and paste without citations, and then wonder why I gave them an 'F' on their paper.

I have to re-teach every student who comes out of schools these days. I have to have them bring in calendars and create a study schedule. I have to explain to them how to take notes, how to do assignments, and how to study for tests. I still have students that will ask me what is on the tests because they can't seem to grasp an understanding of what is important and what isn't important, even when I stand up and say, "Now this is important, so pay attention."

They want every test to be a multiple choice test. They panic when they have to write out a paragraph for short answer essay. Half the time I have to find an interpreter to read their printing. They don't know how to write in cursive. Those that do write must be going on to be doctors because I sometimes have to ask who the paper belongs to or what it says.

They call me at all hours of the day, and sometimes at night, because everything is an 'emergency'. They can't follow the syllabus. Most don't hand in assignments on time and some even insist that the assignments are optional according to the school. If they were optional, would I have assigned them points and included the points in the final point count?

Few students coming out of school have logic or reasoning abilities. They can't read well enough to understand the material that is presented to them. Simple words stump them, so you can imagine what larger words associated with Anatomy and Physiology do to them. They can't form complete sentences and half their sentences make no sense.

I wouldn't worry so much if this was just one or two students coming out of highschool. Unfortunately, this has been about 95% of the students coming out of highschool. That's another thing: I put the number of points that they get correct on their test and they can't figure out the percentage that they got on the test. I have to do it for them!!

What people don't realize is that the ACT, PSAT, and SAT (tests used for college placement) have been dumbed-down so that the students today can get an acceptable score! Otherwise, there would only be Asian, Middle East, African, and European students in our colleges and universities.

Do I think that teachers deserve a raise? Not when they are producing the students that I have to re-teach every block.

The raises that teachers receive should be tied to how well their students do. Yes, there are students whose parents don't encourage them. Yes, there are students who don't want to crack open a book. I've had some of those as well. You motivate them. You talk with the parents and motivate them as well. If they are not interested in their child's education, then you talk to Social Service and Child Protection.

I homeschooled both my children from fifth grade on. Why? My daughter kept being passed on to the next grade even though she could not read, so I took the reins and pulled her out of school. She is an avid reader now and an electrician. My son kept getting beat up in fifth grade by a gang of girls. They didn't just beat up him, they beat up other boys as well. He ended up with a concussion and fractured ribs, so I pulled him out of school. This happened in the playground in front of playground monitors, by the way! He is now an honor student at Penn State. They both scored higher than children who went through public and private schooling on their placement tests.

We live in a society where knowledge is necessary to make a living, yet our students are not being educated well enough to prepare them well enough to make a living. They can't balance their check books, read, write, think for themselves, think logically, perform math, etc. They don't have the motivation to do anything other than what is asked of them. They need their hands held for just about everything. In Europe, adolescents are cognizant of the world and their place in it. In America, adolescents are cognizant of only themselves and what's in it for them.

I blame this on a school system who wants to make every child feel good. The every child is a winner concept is ridiculous because it makes children less motivated. Why excel if you are not going to be recognized for what you do? So every child produced will be mediocre at best and that is pretty much what I am seeing in the community colleges today.
    Wow, as a teacher I am shocked half of these things even came out of your mouth. I will say I am most shocked by your lack of correct grammar. For beating up on HS grads so much you would THINK you would at least know to not end a sentence in a preposistion! You do realize we do not get to CHOOSE what we teach. It is mandated by the states. I would love to teach students to write a proper research paper with correct grammar (maybe I'll teach you one day as well). However, this is not the luxury I have in my job. While we are throwing stones, please remember you will have students who struggle more, as you teach at a community college. Students who can study for themselves and score high on college tests go to universities and state schools. You think you would at least be grateful that the students you have are looking to better themselves instead of on the streets.

Keep in mind, I have not attacked anyone on this thread. I discussed what I am seeing at the college level and why I don't support teachers receiving raises without proof that they deserve them. You, on the other hand, attacked me, personally. So please leave out the "While we are throwing stones...." phrase.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    407966_2534772016333_1464553816_32066056_134878890_n.jpg

[/quote]

You can look at my profile, I'm kind of into sports. So understand where I'm coming from.

Teachers have become the scapegoats for the "Cut the Budget to The Bone Crowd." "They're failing" they cry. They say: "Throwing more money at the problem is not the answer!". Yet, they themselves don't have any answers. They don't even have an idea from another country that is apperantly kicking our collective *kitten* in education.

I don't see teachers asking for more money. I see teachers attempting to maintain their current level of compensation.

So what is the answer? I don't know what the answer is. My problem is we're not even looking for it. Because the question itself is a hard one to ask. What are our priorities as a society? I can tell you from TV ratings and how much professional athletes are paid, it's not education. Like the students whose parents value education do better in school. The countries and societies that are kicking our collective *kitten* in education....value education. Here in the US (there are lots of people here outside the US) we'll gripe about the cost of education until we realize that ignorance costs more, but by then it will be time to for the fiddler to rosin up his bow. (if anyone knows what a fiddle is by then)
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love that so many teachers a responding during the school day (as am I). My kids are in an elective right now and I am finishing lunch. I just hope for the rep of teachers everywhere that there are other good reasons why so many teachers can take time from their day to access MFP!!! :P
    UK teacher - 19.31 here!
    !
    UK Learning support Assistant here!
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I am all for teachers. But I am against the teachers union, and the NEA!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I was a biology/phsyical science high school teacher here in the State of Flori-duh. Its not necessarily the teachers that are the problem its more of the Board of Education. No child left behind is a joke, it should be abolished. If a kid is 16 and is only taking learning as a joke and is more of a hands on guy, then he should be allowed to drop out. Secondly I also blame the parents. So many parents dont take part in there kids education. They expect the schools do everything.

Here in Florida, the Superintendent might last 4 to 8 years try to change the system, the look to get into politics. Then another Superintendent is hired and says I have a new path to increase learning. The cycle continues and continues.

Home schooling is okay but my big issue with it is that there are alot of errors in books and unless you are a professional in the field, you will not realize what you are reading is wrong and teach it and that can be a big issue with homeschooling. Then again there are plenty of errors in textbooks and teachers dont necessarily find them either.

I have a BS in Biology so if i see an error I can figure it out. I do not have a degree in education. I know plenty of hardworking teachers who put so much of their own money into it and dont get any rate of return on it except personal accomplishment when they actually see a student go above and beyond :)

I agree with this. The huge part of the problem is with school administrators, but I am also not a huge fan of many contemporary educational trends adopted by classroom teachers. Mixed ability grouping is one such trend du' jour that doesn't ring my chimes. That's why I favor lots of school choice.

And, yes, I agree that particularly in science, getting accurate textbooks is difficult. I don't like the introduction of creationist thinking in my science, but science by its very nature evolves along with new discoveries, so I don't like many traditional textbooks that present science as known fact.

I worked in health information sciences for 20 years and know that texts are very imperfect, and that a good subject background allows you to spot the errors and correct them before students integrate wrong information as fact.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You think it's difficult to spend all day trying to get your kids to listen to you? Try that with 30 kids in a room, all day every day.

^ THIS THIS THIS. I'm exhausted enough with one kid for 3 hours in the evening before she goes to bed. If I had to deal with 30 for 8 hours and then spend my free time at home grading their work, I'd cry under my desk every day at lunch.

My mom works for the school district and so I've grown up close to the educational system. Teachers don't get paid nearly enough. And if people do want to throw the "babysitter" word around....well, when I was 12, I charged $5/hour to babysit a kid. So if we should pay teachers to "babysit" our children, well, that's $5/child/hour. I guess what a teacher DESERVES is $1200/day for a class of 30. Frankly, that's what it would take for me to "babysit" 30 kids a day for 8 hours straight.

ETA: Also - teachers are not going to be able to fix a kid that parents ruin. The home is the biggest teacher in a kids' life and they'll take what they learn there and act on it in school.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is just one of those subjects. there is no black/white. Everything is a shade of gray. I dated a 3rd grade teacher for a while. My sister is a teacher with a masters for a 30 grand job. My mother was a Para for years, and I worked in a highschool as a special ed para while I was in junior college.
    The teacher I dated was always stressed out and a little crazy. She had the parent of one of her students stalking her because he thought she should like him. when she called the cops, they thought she was paranoid since her school was inner city. She made just enough to pay for a 2 bd/rm apartment and break even on her loans. My sister has a mountain of debt for that masters and I think it increased her salary by a grand. basically nothing. They both took home work every night, just because they weren't in the building doesn't mean they weren't working. I was in the school for 2 years as a para. i felt bad most of the time because our students were in the regular ed classes disruptive or not. Parents had filed lawsuits in the past because their kids were treated differently. Some of the special ed kids weren't an issue, but some were. We weren't allowed to remove them from the classroom without permission from an administrator. That means that if there was a tantrum, the whole class stopped until the VP got there to make his decision. This entire time the teacher can do nothing about the situation, they had to deal with it and whatever disruption it caused whether their kids learned anything that day or not.

No Student left behind = No teacher left standing

********BUT****** I also remember my second grade teacher to this day, almost 30 years later. the last day of school I was chosen ( over the year I had acumulated the most "Check" marks. Plus I wasn't very popular), along with another kid (Brian C.)to clean the room. She lined the class up against the wall and made the 2 of us get on our hands and knees and crawl around the floor picking up all the little bits of paper or whatever was there. The other 20 something kids spent the entire time watching and laughing. Absolutely fabulous teacher there!! My mom told me last year that after I left that building for the middle school they had a problem with that lady. the district decided that teachers needed to rotate so she was being moved to the third grade. So the kids in her class that year would be in her class again the next year. The parents of EVERY kid went up to the district office and threatened to pull their kids from the school and go private. THE DISTRICT STILL COULDN'T FIRE HER!! Something in the union contract required that she receive some type of "re-training" before disciplinary action was taken. So she was kept as the second grade teacher and was able to teach for a couple more years until she retired.

Just like most organizations, it's the crapy few that people remember. So the rest of the neighborhood only remembers how they were protected and forms a crappy opinion that "They must all be that way". It sucks, but it's human nature and it will never go away.
  • jrbb0309
    Options
    I live in Canada and my husband is a high school teacher. He is also the head of a department. In Canada, teachers are paid fairly well - starting salaries are in the mid-30s and by the time you put in 10-15 years, you can earn 90K. However, no one pays for a teacher's education - certainly not their 4 year bachelor's degree from a university and definitely not the 1-2 years additional schooling at teacher's college. Nor are any of their special qualification courses paid for. Those all come out of pocket but are required to move up the ladder.

My husband works at home for an hour each morning getting ready for his day - marking papers, setting curriculum, etc. He then heads to school to arrive an hour before the kids arrive and works there until his classes start. He teaches from 9-3:30. He teaches four seventy-minute classes to a combined 120 kids. On his prep period he works. During his lunch he often works - calling parents, dealing with students. After school, he's responsible for bus duty two nights a week and making sure the kids all get on their buses safely. On the days he's not doing that, he runs 2 extra-curricular programs - improv team and a songwriters club. These go until 5 pm. At least once a week he has a staff meeting that runs until 5:30. He NEVER gets home before 6 pm. He works another hour in the evening (at a minimum) marking more papers, getting ready for classes, dealing with his department, etc.

He works a couple hours a day over all holidays and usually writes curriculum and prepares his courses during our summers "off". At least once a month he is out all evening at an improv or songwriters club meet or competition. He's not paid anything extra for any of these things and the kids benefit greatly.

Are there teachers who do nothing and probably don't really deserve the pay they get? Yes, but that's true of every profession. In my experience, knowing my husband, his parents (who were both teachers), and all his friends, the vast majority are doing the best they can with what they are given (limited budgets, not always great support from their principals, boards, difficult students who take away from the rest, etc).

Most professions though don't have to put up with some of what I've seen my husband have to deal with. He is a good teacher, one of those that students come back to visit years later, name their kids after, tell him he's the reason they continued in school or pursued a degree in his subject, etc. He CARES. And yet even as good a teacher as he is, he's had to deal with being hit by students, sworn at by them, breaking up fights, dealing with massive disrespect in the classroom, parents who swear/yell/hit, etc. It's amazing the things parents think they can get away with because they view themselves as paying a teacher's salary.

And just to make clear, I am also a parent with a child in the public school system and I cannot imagine treating anyone the way I have heard of teachers being treated over the years. A woman (another *good* teacher) in my husband's department was actually physically assaulted by a parent last year.

I don't think most teachers hate/complain about their jobs. What they're usually saying is that if they didn't love teaching or the students or want to be there, the money and the holidays sure as heck wouldn't be enough to keep them around. It's hard to keep doing your best when most people just want to bash you and think they *own* you in some way that makes it okay for them to make any sort of remark about what you do for a living :(
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    *applause* I'm not a teacher... yet. But all it really takes is 5 minutes of critical thinking to realize that teaching is a HARD job. You think it's difficult to spend all day trying to get your kids to listen to you? Try that with 30 kids in a room, all day every day.

I hate when people criticize teachers. Yeah, some teachers suck at their job, but some parents suck at that job too, and some accountants suck at their job, and some cashiers suck at their job. Doesn't mean that ALL parents and ALL accountants and ALL cashiers suck. It means that most people do the best they can in their given roles, and a few people don't. Don't punish the whole group because of the issues of a few.

Thank you.

Great teachers make it look easy. Unfortunately, too few parents take the time to see what their child's teacher does behind the scenes to make the day extraordinary.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in from a perspective of a parent with a child that has a life threatening disease.

My daughter was diagnosed with leukemia when she was in the 3rd grade. The whole school rallied behind her. Her own classroom teacher was her tutor while she wasn't able to attend school, which was the entire last quarter of the school year. Her teacher volunteered because she knew my daughter's strengths and was worried that a different tutor may not challenge her enough. I respect that. 4th grade, 5th grade, all the same type of fantastic teachers. When my daughter had pneumonia in 5th grade and had to miss the last month and a half of school, her teacher made sure my her schoolwork was sent home with her brother every single day. EVERY day. I had so much faith in the school system and teachers!

Fast forward to 6th grade - middle school - we get told my daughter's cancer has relapsed and she has to have a bone marrow transplant - in another state. Do you think we could get one dang syllabus from any of the teachers? Nope, not one. I called, my husband called, her hospital assigned tutor called. Nothing. Not one thing. Sure they gave us the books, but if the teachers have a state mandate on what they have to teach, then they have general idea of what they have to teach each quarter and how much of the book they have to get through by the end of the year. In my opinion.... the least, the absolute VERY least they could have done was given us that information. My daughter basically got little to no teaching of the required Wisconsin subjects because of this. I finally had to tell her tutor to teach her whatever she could. We came home for a visit one month and the school district supplied tutor they gave her was one of the most horrible experiences I've EVER had to deal with. I almost contemplated pulling her out of the district and home schooling her it was that bad.

Fast forward to this fall. My daughter returns to school for the 7th grade, and luckily, for us (and her teachers) she is an extremely smart student. Even after suffering a stroke and having sometimes no 6th grade schooling (mostly because she was too ill to be taught), she is a straight A student.

I have multiple friends who are teachers. They are all fantastic. Every single one of them. I've not heard one complain about how they do not enjoy being around the children, even the older or difficult ones. I agree that many of them are underpaid. But something needs to be done about how unions protect the crap and drag the good down with them before anything can be fixed.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    OK sorry... but not ALL teachers are good teachers and some don't deserve what they make.

An old neighbor of mine is a teacher... 3rd grade.... making about 50K a year off our tax dollars, summers/vacations/snow days off.
    She is a pill popping drunk addict. She has been caught driving children around in that condition. I haven't had a normal conversation with her in years because she is THAT messed up and the school seems unable to get rid of her. All the other teachers gossip about her and want her gone - yet there she is - thank you teachers union. So yes = I am going to criticize her and the fact that she's stealing taxpayers $$ to be a bad influence. SHE is in fact overpaid and shouldn't have a job dealing with children period. I understand she's the exception not the rule... but there are some bad teachers out there and something needs to be done to get rid of them. A lot of it isn't that people don't appreciate teachers, but we disapprove of the system and we are the ones funding it (public schools).
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Omg! It's frustrating, that so much money goes into things like that, and that NBA was just fighting over money that they wouldn't even notice was gone, while cuts continue to be made in the schools, and to the police and fire departments. Just WRONG!
    The four most underpaid careers - Military, Teachers, Police Department and Fire Department. I admire them all and am amazed everyday that we don't show them enough respect. Let's pay the football players (some who couldn't even complete college and didn't do that well in high school) millions while some teachers can barely get by. Don't get me wrong, I love football, but who thinks this is right?
  • Shannon2714
    Options
    OK sorry... but not ALL teachers are good teachers and some don't deserve what they make.

An old neighbor of mine is a teacher... 3rd grade.... making about 50K a year off our tax dollars, summers/vacations/snow days off.
    She is a pill popping drunk addict. She has been caught driving children around in that condition. I haven't had a normal conversation with her in years because she is THAT messed up and the school seems unable to get rid of her. All the other teachers gossip about her and want her gone - yet there she is - thank you teachers union. So yes = I am going to criticize her and the fact that she's stealing taxpayers $$ to be a bad influence. SHE is in fact overpaid and shouldn't have a job dealing with children period. I understand she's the exception not the rule... but there are some bad teachers out there and something needs to be done to get rid of them. A lot of it isn't that people don't appreciate teachers, but we disapprove of the system and we are the ones funding it (public schools).

Ok, I don't know where you live, but where we live that teacher would have been fired and arrested. So, either you don't know all the facts, or you live in a country outside of the U.S. Justice System.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

then you have the people who want to run education like a business, and if you don't get the results, you don't get the pay. if education was a business, teachers could fire and hire the students based on their performance. but no. we don't get that option.

havent read all 6 pages, so not sure if someone pointed this out but by your analogy, you are proving that running the teaching profession as a business works like any other business!

if you can selectively choose your clients (students in your case) than by extension, the market value of many teachers would decline because the good students are going to have their pick at the best teachers (best value for their 'money').

so you see, this creates a supply and demand for teachers just like any other profession or good sold in the open market. the good teachers would be well compensated, and the bad ones .. not so well.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    But I think parents are to blame also. Expecting your child to be raised by your teacher is a crime. It is truly sad when the ONLY attention a child receives is from their teacher. Neglect means this poor kid is already starting in a hole and a teacher is forced to play catch up.
    The teaching system needs to be revised. Parents attitudes need to be revised. The union needs to be axed.

I gotta say many parents would rather their children not have to go to school or at least not after 9th or 10th grade. But like teachers try to make the best of it. Alot of parent don't make 1/4th of the money a teacher makes and has to work year round to boot and still has to make time for said child. It's not fair to bash all parents as a whole either.

I think the whole education system needs to be revised; we didn't have as many drug, alcohol, obesity, anorexia, violence, and unemployment issues during the times when it wasn't mandatory to educate our children to the level that the government(?) and the board of education require now.
  • Shannon2714
    Options
    Omg! It's frustrating, that so much money goes into things like that, and that NBA was just fighting over money that they wouldn't even notice was gone, while cuts continue to be made in the schools, and to the police and fire departments. Just WRONG!
    The four most underpaid careers - Military, Teachers, Police Department and Fire Department. I admire them all and am amazed everyday that we don't show them enough respect. Let's pay the football players (some who couldn't even complete college and didn't do that well in high school) millions while some teachers can barely get by. Don't get me wrong, I love football, but who thinks this is right?

It's hilarious to me to read this....My husband is a teacher (as I've already stated), but he is also in the Army National Guard. I work in criminal justice and get paid equivalent to the starting salary of a police officer.... :-)
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Ok, I don't know where you live, but where we live that teacher would have been fired and arrested. So, either you don't know all the facts, or you live in a country outside of the U.S. Justice System.

I live in MA and I have all the facts - she wasn't arrested because the cops let her go - she's the one who told us... she had her little kids and their friends in the vehicle. I used to see her all the time. She is F'd up and every teacher there knows it (according to the other teachers we know personally at the same school). Obviously this isn't all schools, but this is in fact at a public school right here in the good ole USA. If she can't hold a normal conversation with adults - WTH is she teaching those kids? Not all teachers are good teachers. Most are, some aren't, and it should be easier to get rid of the bad ones.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This is simply my opinion and you can disagree all you like, but PUH-LEASE! You can chose to make your day as easy or as difficult as you like. If you care about your students, you're going to have a more packed day, if you choose to sit back and relax, your day is going to be a breeze. I've had good teachers, and bad teachers but seriously, the job cannot be as bad as you're all making it out to seem. You get weekends off, multiple weeks throughout the year off, plus 2 months during the summer off. Give me a break, if your job is that difficult or you're not enjoying it (not saying you guys don't) then find a job where you do enjoy yourself. Teachers should be prepared for the work load, and love children. If you're not and you don't, then keep flipping through the book of careers till you find something you like. My sister-in-law is a fourth grade teacher and all she does is complain about how the students shouldn't be in the class or are acting like brats... blah blah blah... I just want to tell her to find a job where she'll actually care about it. If you're just going to complain all day about things at your job then move on.

I kind of agree with you. I do think that teaching, like all professional jobs I'm sure, is demanding. Have to admit that it drives me a little bit crazy though when teachers say things like they should get extra holidays and pay etc because of all the out of hours unpaid work they do. That's every professional job that is paid by salary, not just teaching and not all of us get shorter days (well the mandatory part), longer holidays or the same pay. I love my job but I think some people have more to be grateful for than they realise.